• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wich song or band did you discover playing a game ?

zaanan

Banned
One of my favorite songs and game series of all time, wish Brimble, Luzietti et al had done more:

This trailer blew my mind and made me look into Lustmord. If they would have gone with them, I would have gotten the game:

This made my daughter look into Noisia:

This series has some of the best music ever for me and made me look up Bergeaud and Salchow:

Chronicle

Tons. Not gonna list them but mostly from EA sports games like Fifa and Sony's The Show. Also, Mass Effect 2 credits theme.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Burnout Paradise had this one, which I always enjoyed when it came on mid race.

outside of that

Frank Klepacki was always on my radar from the first time I booted up C&C, got a signed copy of the remastered soundtrack. Damn guys a legend.

baphomet

I can honestly say that's never happened.

By the time games came out with licensed music I was already very aware of what I did and didn't like. And to this day I can't think of a single time a game has played something that made me think, "damn that's cool. who is that."

sachos

The whole Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 soundtrack influenced the music i listen to to this day, 22 years later.

Last edited:
Kind of cheating, but the entire Guitar Hero / Rock Band series of games made me appreciate rock music when I only listened to hip hop / rap before. I was dumb to limit myself and the games made me fall in love with the genre, which I still listen to all the time now. It's even encouraged me to branch out into other genres like Jazz. Amazing what music in games can do for you.

Honorable mention: THPS had this track called Superman by Goldfinger. It got me into that punk rock type of music and I still listen to it to this day. It brings back some REALLY good memories of collecting golden cassette tapes.

lem0n

Whenever I hear this question asked, first thing that comes to mind is Mastodon from Saints Row 2.

My real answer has to be Hotline Miami though. HM was likely the most influential game soundtrack to me, ever. Like, more than Vice City. It introduced me to a type of music I didn't realize existed, and one I am still obsessed with it to this day.

lem0n

Is it cheating to say GTA? 3/VC/SA influenced a big chunk of my music taste.

GTA3
The main one is Royce Da 5'9
. Didn't know who he worked with or anything like that, I just knew that he was good. Bought an album I listen to off the back of Game Radio.
MSX FM was a partial one because I already liked Drum n Bass, but it got me onto the Moving Shadow label and Omni Trio.

Vice City
The '80s. The whole decade, and of course the older tracks thrown in like And The Beat Goes On from '79, which is an all time classic. Every station got a listen.

San Andreas
I didn't appreciate it as much as the others at first, but when you catch me singing A Horse With No Name it's because of the more subtle influence of SA.

I'm the kiiiing! Man that shit is still fresh in my mind.

Solarstrike

Here we gooooo
Tony Hawk Wow GIF by X Games
Dog Skateboard GIF

Last edited:
Coheed & Cambria ended up being one of my fave bands later on....but the first time i heard them was some demo disc that came with my PSP that had music videos on it

Banned
Coheed & Cambria ended up being one of my fave bands later on....but the first time i heard them was some demo disc that came with my PSP that had music videos on it

let me guess, it was The Suffering. I think that was the only time a song by them really got big mainstream attention.

edit: I just looked up to try and find the music video to it... is it geo blocked in germany or something? I can't find it anywhere... really werid

Last edited:
I'm not sure which version I heard first, but every time I heard it after, it drove me crazy not knowing where I had heard it before. I don't think it was until 2010 when I was playing Mark of the Wolves when I finally made the connection.

Great thread topic:

The most important game to me musically is SSX 2012, although there is no way I could have known it when I started playing it, and I would have argued prior to the last decade that it would have been THPS.

I had a big move in my life in 2013, and I really redefined my life as well. During the summer of 2013 I moved to Colorado and I had adopted Two Door Cinema Club into my musical repertoire because I was so happy with where my life was; absolutely the best time of my life. I shifted a lot more towards folk and indie music almost immediately after moving to the mountains from my more alt/rap focused music. The Assassin's Creed trailer debuted shortly after my move as well, and that vibed easily into my nature hippiness as well. By the fall of 2013-2014, I was hyped to go skiing; I had always wanted to, but I was finally somewhere that I could make it happen; I made huge life changes to prepare for the physicality of skiing, and I was making playlists to listen to the music on the way to the mountains. Two Door Cinema Club, The Naked and Famous's Young Blood, Theophilius London's - "I Stand Alone" and Lorde [not from a game], as well as throngs of indie/folk and electronic chill music were all featured on that list that list.

Sometime that fall, I watched two snowsports movies. One of them I believe was called "Into The Mind" which may have featured Lorde's "Biting Down", which made me even more hyped to ski to Lorde; but The Art of Flight. My gosh. Even if you're not into snowsports, it's such an incredible movie with an incredible soundtrack. I watch it every year before the start of ski season to motivate me to do leg blasters until I crumple into a pile of goo on the floor. The Art of Flight featured The Naked and Famous' "Young Blood" and "No Way", and perhaps most importantly, M83's "Intro" & "Outro".

This made me realize that SSX was at least, in part, borrowing from the influence of The Art of Flight, which had come out before that game, or at least big-mountain skiing and the rise of backcountry; and was probably trying to craft something based on how awesome that movie is, and that the entire concept of "Deadly Descents" . It also made me realize that whoever crafted the SSX 2012 soundtrack truly cared about what they were doing.

Of interest: Lorde's older stuff, The Naked And Famous, and other various snowsports film adopted songs and artists are all regularly blasted from speakers at ski resorts even though that music is all about a decade old or better at this point.

Anyhow: The list:

Two Door Cinema Club - "Let's Make it Happen Girl" SSX 2012
The Naked and Famous - "Young Blood" SSX 2012
Theophilius London - "I Stand Alone" - SSX 2012
Pretty Lights - SSX 2012 [honestly I didn't even know Pretty Lights was in SSX until just now; but they're a Boulder group so I'm more familiar with them from here]
Rage Against the Machine "GW" - THPS [very likely the first time I heard it] Most of the THPS games was probably the first time I heard a lot of those songs., and I cherish them for what they added to the game, like Goldfinger's "Superman" but they aren't songs I listen to at all.

Bonus: Assassin's Creed something debut used Half Moon Run - Full Circle in a trailer, which is a band I wouldn't have grown into if it wasn't for that trailer. I don't play AC games.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I found Linkin Park because "In My Head" was on some XGames skateboarding game I had for the PS2. Not the best band in the world, but as an angry teen it was the right band for me. Lol.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Cyberpunk 2077 changed what kind of music i listen to. Think what you want about the game itself but I thought they nailed the soundtrack. I guess if I had to pick an artist it'd be Grimes. I had heard her music before Cyberpunk but i couldn't get into it because it sounded so weird lol. That performance she done blew my mind and I went back to listen to her stuff:

and of course that song from the trailer when we first got a look at Night City :messenger_smiling_hearts:

and the game soundtrack itself:

Last edited:

NahaNago

Tony Hawk one for me as well and I guess utada hikaru from kingdom hearts but I feel like I knew her before that.

Last edited:

Drac84

Here's a few songs that have made their way into my regular music playlists over the years that I first heard in video games.

Push It by Garbage (NHL 2000 intro):

Tempted by the Fruit of Another by Squeeze (Vice City):

Seven Days in the Sun by Feeder (Gran Turismo 3):

I'm Free by Kenny Loggins (Grand Theft Auto 5):

1,000 Words by Koda Kumi (FFX-2):

Last edited:

Ozzie666

I'll give credit to EA Canada and the NHL franchise, especially early 2000's when it was still on PC. So many great songs and bands on the sound track, that I would have never discovered or recognized years later. A lot of at the time unheralded UK/European music at least in North America. Santigold (Les Artistes) and Frans Ferdinand (escapes me for now) spring to mind, but so many songs overall, remains an impact on me even today.

If only someone could add The Struts to some video games, give them some more exposure.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Here's a few songs that have made their way into my regular music playlists over the years that I first heard in video games.

Push It by Garbage (NHL 2000 intro):

Tempted by the Fruit of Another by Squeeze (Vice City):

Seven Days in the Sun by Feeder (Gran Turismo 3):

I'm Free by Kenny Loggins (Grand Theft Auto 5):

1,000 Words by Koda Kumi (FFX-2):

I bought the Feeder album that had the tracks from GT3 in. They were all over that game, and so was I. It was inevitable.

I discovered Poets of the Fall playing Max Payne 2 (there was a janitor singing along to "Late Goodbye"). I've purchased every album (and a little merch) ever since.
Actually, now that I think about it, that’s when I first heard them as well. I think I only heard Late Goodbye briefly though for some reason. I immediately recognized them in Alan Wake when “War” played. I’m like, oh yeah I remember these guys!!!!

Low Roar - Death Stranding
Don’t remember if this was in the game but I discovered it regardless thanks to being exposed to the artist. It’s one of the most beautifully written songs I’ve ever heard:

Chet Baker - Sleeping Dogs

Cults - MLB The Show

San Andreas Rock Radio Station exposed me to a lot of great bands that I eventually listen to later on:

Last edited:
Top Bottom