• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts creators to launch Double Kickstarter campaign for spiritual successors Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Armed-Fantasia-Penny-Blood-Ann_08-26-22-768x432.jpg

Armed Fantasia: To the End of the Wilderness and Penny Blood will share a mutual funding goal of $750,000, which will secure a PC release for each game, while a nearby stretch goal will secure ports to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and the newest Nintendo hardware at the time. The “Early-Bird Combo” pledge level will allow early backers to pledge for both games at a highly discounted price.

The Kickstarter campaign will also integrate a “Combo Meter” that affects stretch goals across both games. A pledge for one game will not only add to that game’s stretch goal meter, it will also contribute to the shared Combo Meter that fills up with support from both games. The more the Combo Meter builds up, the more content that is unlocked across both games. By backing one or both games, backers will help build both titles and support other backers. Clearing goals will share content and talent across each game.

WILD BUNCH Productions and YUKIKAZE will also host a weekly community game in which one of the heroes from each game will face off against a monster. Campaign followers will see five different social media-based goals related to an attack, special move, or block, and each monster will have a set number of hits it takes to defeat them. Defeating a monster clears that community stretch goal and upgrades the rewards chosen during pledges. If one game’s team is not able to clear its goal by not hitting a monster enough times, any hits or cleared goals from the other game will carry over, allowing one community to help the other.

Fbh

Awesome!.
Both look really nice and it seems like they've already done some work so it's not just promises and artwork.

Still, I don't do kickstarter.
But I look forward to seeing more of these....in like 4 years, if they actually come out and the project doesn't fall apart .

Fbh

Why not just make a new game

As in a new entry in those franchies? Same story as always, the IP holders have no interest in making new entries.

As in completely new games? These basically ARE new games, but framing them as spiritual successors of beloved franchises will get more attention than "here's 2 random new mid budget JRPG's". Also the creator might legitimately want to work on new entries of these franchises and this is the only way, not to mention that if it actually does well they now own these new Ip's.

Suprised at the lack of interest in a Wild Arms successor. I personally always felt that it was better then Shadow Hearts. I love them both so i can't complain.

Last edited:

Fbh

Amazing news. Really excited for both of them.

Here is a clip of combat from armed fantasia

Looks nice!.

Though seeing this they must have some sort of publisher or larger investor.
These look like proper AA/AAA games, there's no way they can fund both of them for $750k

Last edited:

nocsi

Amazing news. Really excited for both of them.

Here is a clip of combat from armed fantasia

The combat is real. Here’s interviews with both creators

I'm still waiting for my mega Man and SOTN successors.

I don't trust these Japanese kickstarters after being burned by MN9 and Ritual whatever bloodstained.

The 2020s will be the proper comeback of JRPGs, I'm calling it.

No need for a comeback, they are still selling to the same niche they always have. Just the series that didn't sell died.

Last edited:
Mysteriously for every publisher OTHER than S-E.
?

Starting next month they’re going guns-blazing on AA JRPG’s with Star Ocean 6, Valkyrie Elysium, Harvestella, Diofield Chronicle, Tactics Ogre: Reborn. They also have the Front Mission Remake on the way.

They just released the Live A Live Remake. Triangle Strategy was earlier this year. Last year they released Bravely Default II and a new TWEWY game. They’ve been porting SaGa games, with Romancing SaGa coming next year.

They’re also working on an HD 2D remake of Dragon Quest III. Dragon Quest XII is being worked on.

Final Fantasy XVI is releasing next year, the Crisis Core Remaster releasing soon is practically a remake, VII Rebirth is coming Q4 2023/Q1 2024.

So you have Tactical RPG’s, super niche weird games (not to mention weird stuff like Taro’s card game and whatever Matsuno worked on), turn-based games (both small and big budget), and ARPG’s. And SE’s attempt at Rune Factory.

Like honestly your post is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever read. You sound like a scorned FF fan that wants FF to remain turn-based. I don’t know how else someone could write such a bone-headed post.

Pejo

?

Starting next month they’re going guns-blazing on AA JRPG’s with Star Ocean 6, Valkyrie Elysium, Harvestella, Diofield Chronicle, Tactics Ogre: Reborn. They also have the Front Mission Remake on the way.

They just released the Live A Live Remake. Triangle Strategy was earlier this year. Last year they released Bravely Default II and a new TWEWY game. They’ve been porting SaGa games, with Romancing SaGa coming next year.

They’re also working on an HD 2D remake of Dragon Quest III. Dragon Quest XII is being worked on.

Final Fantasy XVI is releasing next year, the Crisis Core Remaster releasing soon is practically a remake, VII Rebirth is coming Q4 2023/Q1 2024.

So you have Tactical RPG’s, super niche weird games (not to mention weird stuff like Taro’s card game and whatever Matsuno worked on), turn-based games (both small and big budget), and ARPG’s. And SE’s attempt at Rune Factory.

Like honestly your post is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever read. You sound like a scorned FF fan that wants FF to remain turn-based. I don’t know how else someone could write such a bone-headed post.
Medicine Pill GIF by Southstar Drug PH

Talk about an overreaction to a shitpost.

Character designs for the WA successor are bad.

At least they got the SH character designer back.

Your post made me go back and check the Gematsu article. I somehow completely missed the section that detailed PB (since you have to click on it). It looks very cool! I just don’t think the art style looks good with this low budget, almost comic book-styled cel shading.

There’s no way in hell this’ll happen but my dream would be for Penny Blood sequel to get some CG cinematics. Shadow Hearts: Covenant has some of the most amazing cutscenes in any game TO THIS DAY.

Krathoon

Koudelka is very much a JRPG. You will run into over powered monsters that will kill your party very early in the game.

Top Bottom