• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wild Arms and Shadow Hearts creators to launch Double Kickstarter campaign for spiritual successors Armed Fantasia and Penny Blood

Pallas

Hope they bring the same guy who did the Shadow Hearts OST’s for Penny Blood(Hirota Yoshitaka)

I know the lady who did a lot of the wild arms music did stuff for Eiyuden Chronicles, would be awesome if she was also available for Armed Fantasia(Michiko Naruke)

NahaNago

While I'm excited to hear about a shadow hearts related game in development the kickstarter portion has me puzzled. Like how is that amount of money suppose to pay for both those games.

I'm not diggin the wild arms game. Just too bright and vivid.

I might still back it just because of shadow hearts.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
*kickstarter

No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Labadal

While I'm excited to hear about a shadow hearts related game in development the kickstarter portion has me puzzled. Like how is that amount of money suppose to pay for both those games.

I'm not diggin the wild arms game. Just too bright and vivid.

I might still back it just because of shadow hearts.
I'm guessing the Kickstarter is them hoping that there is enough interest from fans to convince a publisher to fund their games.

Xeaker

Is it the original developers or a new team?
I will put my expectations to the lowest possible level.

saintjules

What I liked in Wild Arms (especially 3) is the wild west theme. I don't feel much of it here.

I get what you mean. I guess looking over the canyon at the end was to get that vibe.

The whistling also definitely gave me the western vibe and a nod to the WA franchise. So I hope to expect some of the wild west theme but at the same time not be a carbon copy from WA.

Metnut

These both look cool and I’m happy to buy at launch if they turn out well.

Won’t do kickstarter though. Last time I supported a JRPG on kickstarter, they ended up deciding to make the game available day 1 on a subscription service after they had my money.

Labadal

I was hoping that it was just part of marketing campaign and that the game was already nearly finished.
Kaneko: “Everything we’ve revealed has been prepared specifically for the Kickstarter. The actual development of the game will happen once the Kickstarter is over..."

Last edited:

Fbh

Kaneko: “Everything we’ve revealed has been prepared specifically for the Kickstarter. The actual development of the game will happen once the Kickstarter is over..."

Damn, stuff like this makes me worried.

I don't know how they intend to make 2 games with the production values they have shown for $700k. Even assuming the Kickstarter goes on to make 3 or 4 times their target

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Is Alter Code F all that good? Seems like an upgrade from Wild Arms 1.
They removed dungeons from it but added additional party members. The first WA isn't a good game, one of the few PS1 JRPGs I've dropped. Narrative was fucking boring.

Last edited:

Krathoon

They removed dungeons from it but added additional party members. The first WA isn't a good game, one of the few PS1 JRPGs I've dropped. Narrative was fucking boring.
Yeah. I am wondering if it would be better to play the remake. I got it sitting on a shelf. I'll watch a youtube of it.

Edit. Oh yeah, Alter Code F seems absurdly better.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Anyone know if there is a way to copy PS2 saves from a PC to a PS2 memory card? I would think you could use the PS3 memory card adapter, but I don't see a utility for it.

I don't know how they intend to make 2 games with the production values they have shown for $700k. Even assuming the Kickstarter goes on to make 3 or 4 times their target
They said in the Kickstarter page that they want to be picked up by a publisher. The Kickstarter is to “prove” that there’s interest in these products

SunRayzer

Neo Member
The Kickstarter page is now live:

No early bird tier though. Also each game in this double kickstarter starts at 42$ each, or 80$ for both. If they just want to see if people are interested to get a publisher deal, this seems too much imo. Especially for an expected release date of March 2025 - we all know kickstarter games almost always release later than the estimated date.

I am quite interested in Armed Fantasy but not sure if I want to back it. Hoped for a better 'deal' if you back both games.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
While I appreciate them being upfront about the Switch situation, it's really the only physical media I collect at this point so I'm going to pass on backing. I have really found memories of Shadow Hearts even if it looked closer to a PSOne game than PS2. The judgement ring is such a fun mechanic.

Oberstein

If our Console Stretch goal is reached, then we will release both games on current gen hardware (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, and PC), but will tentatively offer an option for backers to select Nintendo as their platform of choice in hopes that new hardware becomes available during production.

Should no new hardware be released/announced during this time and/or we discover that we are unable to port both games to the Nintendo hardware available at the time, then we will reach out to backers who requested Nintendo as their platform of choice to discuss alternatives.

Hum, very interesting.

graywolf323

Gold Member
they have early bird discounts for add-ons of the games but not for the actual tiers for backing the games? honestly this KS is a bit of a mess so far

edit: there also seems to be no way to get the digital deluxe versions of both games? wtf?

edit 2: seems they added a tier for getting both digital deluxe versions at least

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
About $80 USD for digital copies of both games. They both look great. Only time I felt burned on a pledge was with Unsung Story.

The kickstarter isn't to fund the game, the kickstarter is to show interest in the game to a publisher, who will actually be funding the game

Buggy Loop

Interesting that JRPG kickstarter would go PC first

Is there a paradigm shift happening in japan we don't know about?

Shadow Hearts imo is lame but Wild Arms is cool. Everybody should play Wild Arms 4, the best game in the series. e: I'm not being ironic or weird btw. Wild Arms 4 fucking pwns

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
good news, it's been fully funded (and then some).

I read it wrong at first and thought that it had only achieved $1k, lol.

It's open until the 30th, I'll donate next time I get paid.

Top Bottom