• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wild Hearts | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
EGS_WILDHEARTS_KOEITECMOGAMESCOLTD_S1_2560x1440-1cc68f917e6cc489e5a94c630523a4c4

Game Information​

Game Title: Wild Hearts
Platforms:
  • PC (Feb 17, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 17, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 17, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Feb 17, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 17, 2023)
Trailers:
Developer: KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.
Publisher: Electronic Arts

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 81 average - 88% recommended - 11 reviews

vPnl6th.jpg

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-series-x/wild-hearts
MetaCritic - 78/100 - Xbox Series X - 7 Reviews

Vubli3b.jpg

Critic Reviews​

Eurogamer.pt - Jorge Loureiro - Portuguese - No Recommendation
This is just a review in progress, but for now, Wild Hearts seems too close to Monster Hunter most of the time. The introduction of the Karakuri in the gameplay is an asset, but from the i played so far the feeling of déjà vu is constant. So far, it seems to me an inferior imitation and it still needs a few adjustments to be ready. The launch is already this week, february 16th, so let's see what the team can do until then.
GameSkinny - John Schutt - 8 / 10
It's time to tame the untameable.
GameSpot - Richard Wakeling - 8 / 10
Wild Hearts latches onto the familiar gameplay loop of Monster Hunter and infuses it with a fast-paced crafting system that lets you build your way to victory.
Gamepur - Dave Rodriguez - 8.5 / 10
At its worst, a game can take that formula and copy it shamelessly, which usually reminds me of the game it's drawing inspiration from in the first place. At its best, a game can take those inspirations and stand alongside them. It’s rare for the latter to happen, but Wild Hearts takes the essence of Monster Hunter and grows it with enough innovations to create a compelling experience that confidently stands on its own.
MondoXbox - Mirko Rossi - Italian - 8.3 / 10
Wild Hearts is a hunter-like game that is both respectful of tradition and at the same time very brave, thanks to innovations such as the Karakuri structure system and greater attention to the narrative. In addition, the game benefits from the care taken in designing the Kemono monsters and crafting an experience that will satisfy both genre veterans and newcomers. Despite a few youth issues, it is undoubtedly one of the best alternatives around for fans of the genre.
Polygon - Diego Nicolás Argüello - Unscored
I can picture myself weeks from now, strolling among the creations, gadgets, and objects that my friends and I have left littered across our worlds, thinking back on these early days in Wild Hearts. These constructions are marks of solidarity in a game that could have been mere homage. Building in Wild Hearts isn’t just a mechanical conceit. It’s the pillar of its identity.
RPG Fan - Abraham Kobylanski - Unscored
Wild Hearts is shaping up to be another great monster-hunting title that suffers the most from obvious comparisons to the well-established Monster Hunter series. The developers have promised that DLC is on the way in the coming months with more kemono and karakuri, and it’s all going to be free with no paid updates in the plans (not yet, at least), so even after you’ve finished the base game, there’ll be more to bring you back to Azuma. It’s an impressive effort all around, with a world that continually beckons hunters to return for more. Gear up, for the hunt is on!
Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - Unscored
After over 30 hours and many hunts under my belt, Wild Hearts is proving to be an incredibly engaging experience, one with the potential to be a real rival for the Monster Hunter series. If everything holds together well until the end of the main campaign, I can see Wild Hearts to be an excellent way to tide oneself over until the next entry in the CAPCOM series releases.
We Got This Covered - Jon Hueber - 4 / 5
Wild Hearts treads familiar ground as you hunt one monstrous beast after another, but Omega Force has added new tricks and gimmicks that help separate it from the games it draws inspiration from. At the end of the day, it proudly stands as a unique experience with its own identity.
WellPlayed - James Wood - 8.5 / 10
Wild Hearts is packed with creative mechanics and delightful flourishes that make it a welcome and exciting addition to the monster hunting genre.
XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8.5 / 10
Wild Hearts was low on my list for 2023. After spending 30 or so hours with it I’m stunned. It is an incredible first effort from the team at Omega Force. Mixing Monster Hunting with Green Lantern crafting works beautifully. I hope this series is around for a very long time, because this game is excellent.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reviewing better than I expected.

Hopefully there's a beefy day 1 patch, cause that 10hr trial had a lot of technical hiccups.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So my first impressions where terrible, and honestly still leave a bad taste in my mouth at times.

I am having fun with it though... I like the build anywhere system as long as you have the resources to support it.

However the preformance and look of the game including animations feels poor...

What I mean is that quite often the monster or player can feel floaty, with MH they do an excellent job with adding weight to things, like it feels what your fighting needs to grip into the terrain to launch an attack etc, that's missing from wildhearts, things move as if they are hovering over the terrain at times.

However credit where it is due, I think I'm beginning to like it more than the other clones.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
82 OC, I hope they can iron out the performance issues people are having on pc etc & I hope the games does well.

I genuinely think they could have a special game here tbh :)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like the PC version is a mess. Non stop stutters. As bad as Callisto Protocol launch (as per DF)

ungalo

The ratings are good considering the technical issues. The game is ugly as fuck (i'm playing on Series X). Ambitious, even in art direction, but ugly and not stable, it's a mess.

That says a lot about its redeeming qualities.

Last edited:
Top Bottom