• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wild West Cowboys of Moo Mesa...and other games based on tv properties nobody remembers!

VGEsoterica

Does ANYONE remember Wild West Cowboys of Moo Mesa? Because I sure as hell don't! Apparently it was on ABC Saturday morning cartoons for one year in 1992-1993. I mean that was the glory days of Saturday morning cartoons and I sure as shit watched them all...but I guess my memory 100% blanked out that memory...because maybe the show was bad?

Either way Wild West Cowboys of Moo Mesa got a licensed arcade game from Konami...and if the show was unmemorable the game it's based on is 10/10 hidden gem status. Cows with guns fighting other cows with bigger guns? Ghost cows covered in sheets? Turning into a T-bone steak when your character dies? Shmup levels with flying cows? Shut up and take my quarters! Honestly it's one of the best hidden gem games Konami ever made...and my assumption is it is "hidden gem" status just because of how not well known the tv show was?

Either way it got me thinking...what other games are based on tv show or comic properties where the property itself was basically forgotten about? There must be more than just Wild West Cowboys of Moo Mesa

Mister Wolf

Exosquad_%28video_game%29.jpg

and my assumption is it is "hidden gem" status just because of how not well known the tv show was?
Not saying that didn't play a role at all, but it seems more likely to me that it remained relatively unknown simply because it released as a single player arcade-only title at a time where arcades were on the way out.

nush

Gold Member
Not saying that didn't play a role at all, but it seems more likely to me that it remained relatively unknown simply because it released as a single player arcade-only title at a time where arcades were on the way out.

It's 4 player, just watch the video in the OP.

Mister Wolf

I never understood why the series never arrived in Mexico but the toys did.

I still remember episodes from it till this day, like this woman vampire who was an insect in nature. Max and his bodyguard Norman tried to get her into the sun thinking that would hurt her based on old myths but she was like "all living things are loved by the sun". There was also this episode where the bodyguard Norman faced off against the man who killed his father. The guy was crazy and damn near indestructible. The main bad guy Skullmaster I remember had this crystal that contained all the souls of the lost city of Atlantis. That was his main source of power.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Mom can I get the new X Men game?

You already have the X Men game at home.

X Men game at home:
4zjNHXu.jpg
I love ex-mutants, they're the original "original characters do not steal" definitely not trying to evoke the x-men in any way shape or form. (well the original wasn't so bad, but the 92 series over the top)

defenders of dynatron city was so bad it torpedoed the entire franchise it was meant to create

CamHostage

Here's a very recent one (not a cartoon though) that's been thoroughly forgotten about and also the show it's based on is now a hazy memory...

Gemini: Heroes Reborn

Based on the attempted revival of the NBC Heroes show, this was I believe planned to be an episodic series of spin-offs focusing on original Heroes characters. There were two "games" made (Gemini and then the mobile side-game Enigma: Heroes Reborn), which served as prequels for the show in some way (I didn't watch, I only made it halfway through the first season in the first place,) and I believe more were planned with either different characters or new Cassandra stories or whatever, but they never happened.

It's easy to forget that these games never happened in the first place, except that they were made by Phosphor Studios, a studio with a lot of the team formerly behind the oft-mentioned Psi-Ops for Midway (they make a lot of VR games now), and you can see some of the Psi-Ops DNA in this (and also in their sadly abandoned Project Awakened.

...Not as nostalgic a recc as some other games on this thread, but you can actually still go buy this right now for $3 on Steam if you wanted to check it out.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Here's a very recent one (not a cartoon though) that's been thoroughly forgotten about and also the show it's based on is now a hazy memory...

Gemini: Heroes Reborn

Based on the attempted revival of the NBC Heroes show, this was I believe planned to be an episodic series of spin-offs focusing on original Heroes characters. There were two "games" made (Gemini and then the mobile side-game Enigma: Heroes Reborn), which served as prequels for the show in some way (I didn't watch, I only made it halfway through the first season in the first place,) and I believe more were planned with either different characters or new Cassandra stories or whatever, but they never happened.

It's easy to forget that these games never happened in the first place, except that they were made by Phosphor Studios, a studio with a lot of the team formerly behind the oft-mentioned Psi-Ops for Midway (they make a lot of VR games now), and you can see some of the Psi-Ops DNA in this (and also in their sadly abandoned Project Awakened.

...Not as nostalgic a recc as some other games on this thread, but you can actually still go buy this right now for $3 on Steam if you wanted to check it out.

Literally the first time I’ve ever heard of this game. Learn something new every day!

I_D

chip-n-dale-rescue-ra88j3r.jpg

Chip n Dale - Rescue Rangers: The Adventure in Nimnuls Castle

I don't know if it's an obscure game or not, but I don't see many people mention it. It's possibly the first video game I ever played, though I played a few other DOS games around the same time, too.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
This weird ass game based on that weird ass sitcom.

AlfBoxShotSegaMasterSystem.jpg

Don't know if people remember the sitcom in the rest of the world, but I have yet to meet another person who even watched it here in my country.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
last battle on genesis is a fist of the north star, just with slight (and I mean slight) alteration to the graphics, a bit of censorship and kenshiro being renamed to aarzak for some odd reason, might be a well remembered property, but weirdly detached from it
and it's charmingly terrible

greeen dog for the genesis is a really odd bird, it is based on a guy's fictionalized version of himself from a board game

Top Bottom