• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will critics warm to Armored Core 6 given FROMSOFT's reputation, or will it still fail to make a mark?

lachesis

Depends on whether the reviewers like gigantic mecha robots. Many western reviewers seem to prefer medieval fantasy setting over giant mechs.

So in direct competition- I don’t think it will fare as well as Souls titles in review scores.

People are saying it is a niche but weren't Souls games the same thing until recently?

Define recently….because even though Elden Ring blew up DS3 which released in 2016 already sold over 10 million copies as of 3 years ago. Souls games have been on a slow Ascension by every release.

Armored core has more mainline titles than dark souls does and hasn’t really had anywhere close to the same success financially or critically.

Last edited:

Pejo

If they don't dumb down the game, I'm guessing it will get middle to low 80s, based on FROM's reputation alone. If they do dumb it down, I'll be sad, but it'll probably score ~90. It will probably deserve low to mid 80s. Take from that what you will.

That said, I don't give 2 shits what modern game "journalists" say about it, so I'll make up my own mind, and I'm going to buy it anyways because I enjoyed the old games. Maybe I didn't 'love' them, but I'll take any mecha games I can get at this point, and this is probably the first time they had any real budget to throw an an AC game. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Aion002

If FS doesn't change the Armored Core formula:

Some will say that it is amazing after playing 2 hours and quitting, just because FS is popular.

Others will hate and will criticize almost everything, since Armored Core games are not for everybody.

While a small number of critics will discover the series and will fall in love with it.

Otherwise...

GIF by Justin

Rykan

People are saying it is a niche but weren't Souls games the same thing until recently?
They were never really that niche. The first Demon's souls sold over 1 million copies on just the PS3. Dark Souls as a series sold well over 30m copies with just 3 installments.

They were never really that niche. The first Demon's souls sold over 1 million copies on just the PS3. Dark Souls as a series sold well over 30m copies with just 3 installments.

Right. If Dark Souls is niche you might as well say Devil May Cry and Resident Evil are niche

Last edited:

Rippa

Don’t give two shits about what critics have to say.

Never did.

As a gamer and an ultimate fan of FROM, I will NOT be buying/playing Armored Core 6 for the simple fact that it will lack soulsborne gameplay. I understand It was never intended to have that gameplay. The previous entries didn’t play like a souls game so I wasn’t expecting this new one to. I simply don’t like mech games.

I’m genuinely happy for AC fans though. I hope you have fun.

So what you're saying is that Critics should give FromSoftware a free pass and give every game they put out rave reviews just because of the reputation of the dev?

WTF!?

Every individual game should be judged on the merits of said game and little else. Doing so incentivizes top-tier devs like ND, SSM, Nintendo, and CD Project Red to keep striving toward making high-quality games; warding off complacency.

FromSoftware has made some excellent games but all in the same sub-genre (one of largely their own making or at least popularizing). Armoured Core is a very different type of game from a Soulslike. Historical games in the series have been mediocre at best. So to ask whether critics will warm to the new armored core almost seems to suggest the past games in the series were god-tier but nobody noticed. The fact is they weren't.... not even close.

Top Bottom