• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Elden Ring be better than Bloodborne?

Bloodborne or Elden Ring?

• Bloodborne

Votes: 169 50.8%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 164 49.2%

• Total voters

Boneless

being exclusive and all, for a part of the userbase bloodborne will be unbeatable np matter what.

as for what will happen, i think that much like people still debate about ds3 vs BB, the same uncertainty will repeat here even if elden ring is a smash hit

What does exclusivity have to do with quality of a game? :l

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Still wondering about that strong Dark Souls 2 vibe I've been getting from ER, and how that's going to sit with a lot of people.
Not an issue for me as that game is my personal favourite of the trilogy, but it makes me wonder how some are going to take to changes to the formula.

Reactions: Isa

Lux R7

Pretty sure i will end up liking ER more, the replay value alone will provide a better experience for my tastes. Of course Bloodborne is and will be a masterpiece forever.

Boneless

Where's the "Who gives a shit, we're allowed to like multiple games." poll option?

rucoy-highlander.gif

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I used to feel like that for demon's souls / dark souls (1st half), but since they introduced teleportation right from the beginning of the games in dark souls 2, it never felt the same. You don't feel as connected to the world, the shortcuts feel useless, it's not the same level of immersion. I wish they would go back to a level design with no, or at least less teleportations, because that's really what I loved when I discovered dark souls 1.
I hated it personally. The locked shortcuts were gatekeeping the player from exploring organically. It also made jumping back to where you died more cumbersome and getting anywhere far from the hub area a real pain in the ass. Even when they did both for Dark Souls 3, I would skip the long ass elevator rides given the opportunity. The only way I can play Dark Souls 1 now is with a mod that allows bonfire teleportations from the start.

As a side note, I abhor the separated hub areas that have to be visited between teleportations in Demon Souls and Bloodborne. It is a major waste of time. If it was needed the players would teleport there themselves.

P.S. As far as the topic is concerned. I am going to let Elden Ring sell itself by watching playthroughs.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I don't know. I'll let you know after February 25th. How do people decide this without playing full game? Bloodborne is not my favourite Miyazaki game as much as I love it. But the titles are so different it'll be hard to compare.

Reactions: Isa

Larxia

The locked shortcuts were gatekeeping the player from exploring organically.
That's the opposite though... In Dark Souls 1 you had to learn the environment, getting used to it, you constantly were aware of what was around you, under you, above you, it was a very organic exploration. Constantly teleporting everywhere without any real connection to the world itself is not organic at all.

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
That's the opposite though... In Dark Souls 1 you had to learn the environment, getting used to it, you constantly were aware of what was around you, under you, above you, it was a very organic exploration. Constantly teleporting everywhere without any real connection to the world itself is not organic at all.
How did locking me out of the lower Undead Burg with a one way door at the start or putting a locked door between New Londo and Valley of the Drakes make exploration more organic? If anything, the shortcuts are made redundant by being locked as by the time they are unlocked the area is already explored and looted.

Also, I learn all I needed in the immediate area the first time through and I do not need the trip back to waste more of my time, which is when teleporting would come into play. To make an extreme example, I took a half minute long elevator to New Londo from the Firelink Shrine and I sure as hell would much rather have skipped it all the second time through and every other time I decided to farm Darkwraiths for chunks. The areas are still connected but it would expedite the realization of my goal and expedite my engagement with the part of the game that interests me.

Last edited:

Dolomite

No Way Movie GIF by 1091

But they are two different beast. Bloodborne set in an open world with as many assets as ER would take a noticable downgrade

I think being open world will provide a diferent experience, if better or not, ill tell you once i beat the game. One thing i love about Souls games is the level design, how you unlock shortcuts and how the diferent zones conect to eachother. Dunno if Elden Ring will have that, but from the little i saw i think they still might do some clever level design in some sections.
Also my biggest concern with ER. With it being completely open world are some of the distinguishing characteristics in Souls games gonna disappear? Things such as shortcuts, zones connnecting, hard enemy blocking your path, and deaths having consequences ie. needing to run back and claim your blood/souls before dying again. I would be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat concerned that being completely open world makes it feel less like "souls."

Last edited:
Elden Ring is explicitly not a Souls game, it’s even in the title. So I don’t think anyone should start comparing to Souls when they are clearly attempting something different.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I truly believe From Software games will be a meme passed on from one generation to the next, but all I’m seeing now are the memes in this thread. :)

All Souls games have been masterpieces with the exception of Dark Souls 2 which I just couldn't appreciate in any way, so I'm hopeful this game will be amazing as well.

Open world sounds cool, but I'm a little worried about how it will handle enemy placement. To me these games are so stressful and anxiety inducing that the fixed enemy placement helps a lot with predictability for the practice..

But from what I heard enemy placements seem to be fixed for at least some areas such as castles and stuff..?

(No, I never play in online mode or allow invasions from random people. Gross!)

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
All Souls games have been masterpieces with the exception of Dark Souls 2 which I just couldn't appreciate in any way, so I'm hopeful this game will be amazing as well.

Open world sounds cool, but I'm a little worried about how it will handle enemy placement. To me these games are so stressful and anxiety inducing that the fixed enemy placement helps a lot with predictability for the practice..

But from what I heard enemy placements seem to be fixed for at least some areas such as castles and stuff..?

(No, I never play in online mode or allow invasions from random people. Gross!)
Get back to it. Ds2 is the best one mate

Top Bottom