• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Elden Ring be better than Bloodborne?

Bloodborne or Elden Ring?

• Bloodborne

Votes: 169 50.8%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 164 49.2%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Bloodborne to me is the best of the Souls genre and the atmosphere is unmatched. Elden Ring looks like a samey Dark Souls but is open world and taking the formula to the next level.

Let the most important poll in gaming history begin.

Only one can prevail.

Aenima

I think being open world will provide a diferent experience, if better or not, ill tell you once i beat the game. One thing i love about Souls games is the level design, how you unlock shortcuts and how the diferent zones conect to eachother. Dunno if Elden Ring will have that, but from the little i saw i think they still might do some clever level design in some sections.

Boneless

Elden Ring will combine the best of all games + open world. Experiences from the network test point towards the fact that the majority will find it better than Bloodborne.

skit_data

I think they will be pretty hard to compare, the freedom of Elden Ring vs the strong themes and concepts of Bloodborne.
I can’t make up my mind about which one I like the most when it comes to Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne so I don’t expect Elden Ring to be different.

Saber

Gold Member
I hope that will be the case yeah.

When they make new games, one is supposed to strive to release a superior version of whats supposed to be a master piece. I'm confident they will, but even if they don't I still believe it gonna be s superb experience overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

GHG

Gold Member
Even if it's not it will still be spectacular.

So at this point, who cares? Just strap in and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I'm going to say no for me personally, Bloodborne holds a very special place in my heart, but that doesn't take away from the potential greatness of Elden Ring.

The_hunter

Aesthetically, probably not. It's a bit like comparing oranges to apples.

Gameplay wise, I would say so, while the gameplay of bloodborne is really good, the open world might provide Elden Ring with a fresh take on Souls.

You can't beat the horror of bloodborne.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I have no idea. I hope so. Bloodborne was really damn good.

Bloodborne!!

Bloodborne is 100% From Soft, Elden Ring has GRRM stench

Bloodborne world and art direction is more unique and more fresh, based on rarely used Lovecraftian lore

I can’t speak about gameplay yet, but so far Bloodborne still has the edge

dotnotbot

Consult Betty Boop GIF by Fleischer Studios

Will be better than Bloodborne in 30 FPS, but won't beat Bloodborne in 60 FPS

Last edited:

Mozzarella

I dont know but i hope it will.
Bloodborne was a masterpiece, i feel Elden Ring has the potential to surpass it or to be on par with it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Dan Tack who played beyond the network test and probably the journalist that played the most Elden ring, including seeing areas where From told him « ok, that’s enough.. », and for which his favorite game of all time is Bloodborne, is saying that Elden ring, if the quality keeps up with what he played, will be better by far over Bloodborne.

I kind of believe it. I think the story will also be bonkers with twists. The map looks crazy (leaked one) and there’s even more surprises above and under the map..

Last edited:

Artoris

Gold Member
I live in hope, so yes

Bloodburn could have been much better with more research and imagination

I can only hope. Bloodborne is one of my all time favorites but I could see myself liking Elden Ring more. I love exploration and this sounds like it will scratch the itch.

I think the lack of games over the last couple of years that have interested me is making me anticipate ER even more than I normally would. There's basically been nothing over the last couple of years I've cared about (aside from Genshin Impact which I'm tired of) so the next 20 days are going to be rough waiting for this damn game to finally release. I can probably already say it's going to be my personal GOTY and I know next to nothing about it lol

Last edited:

Skifi28

If you liked Sekiro combat best, this won't be like it. If you liked bloodborne combat or Lovecraftian lore, this won't be like it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m having a hard time comparing the two. One of them is already amazing. Bloodborne deals with celestial horrors and blood thirsty beasts. Elden Ring is a brand new world and lore. I imagine Elden Ring will have some epic battles to it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If you liked Sekiro combat best, this won't be like it. If you liked bloodborne combat or Lovecraftian lore, this won't be like it.
I enjoyed both Sekiro and Bloodborne but at the same time I'm not exactly expecting Elden Ring to be like them or I want them to.

But I like the direction they taking with Elden Ring's combat.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I mean, there's a big thing to point out here, one has been out for years, and the other isn't out yet, lol.

I'd like to think that with time, each new release from From Software just gets better and better.

DavidGzz

I swear the fact that it's exclusive and your inner edgelord is clouding your judgments. :p

ER will be the best From Software game to date.

K2D

Banned
I want Dark Souls in Space
Dark Souls under the Sea
Dark Souls in Heaven and Hell
Cyberpunk Dark Souls

I want Dark Souls with more NPC agency
Dark Souls with open cities
Dark Souls with martial arts
and Dark Souls with vampirism
(and time travel)

Skifi28

I enjoyed both Sekiro and Bloodborne but at the same time I'm not exactly expecting Elden Ring to be like them or I want them to.

But I like the direction they taking with Elden Ring's combat.
I've also played and liked every souls game, different as they are. Just making a point that comparing Elden ring to bloodborne is kind of moot as we already know they're very different beasts. If somebody goes to Elden Ring trying to find bloodborne 2, he's going to be disappointed. Each souls game should be appreciated on its own.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Aside from setting preferences, where Bloodborne is unmatched IMO, everything I’m hearing is that this game is From going next level.

FingerBang

I don't think Elden Ring will be able to scratch the Bloodborne itch. I loved Sekiro, for example, it's one of my favorite games ever. But I don't think I can say it's better or worse than Bloodborne, they're so different and I want more of both. Elden Ring seems like an evolution of Dark Souls.
Looking at the philosophy behind From Software games, you can see there is a "wide" type, the games with Souls in the title. Then we have "narrow" games, like Sekiro, where the gameplay is tight and you don't have builds. Bloodborne falls somehow in Between, with a few builds and options, but way fewer than Dark Souls.

Elden Ring is going to be really wide.
BB is overrated because it was a Sony exclusive.
It really isn't buddy

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I've also played and liked every souls game, different as they are. Just making a point that comparing Elden ring to bloodborne is kind of moot as we already know they're very different beasts. If somebody goes to Elden Ring trying to find bloodborne 2, he's going to be disappointed. Each souls game should be appreciated on its own.
110% agree with you, it kind of thing I like about FROM games.

Top Bottom