• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Elden Ring over take TLOU2 as the most awarded goty of all time?

Will Elden Ring win more total awards than TLOU2?

• Yes

Votes: 111 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 130 53.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommib

Numbers come from the gameawards.net site, though I copy-pasted those totals from ResetEra's tracking thread, and they calculated them from the gameawards.net totals. Site has been down for weeks but can still be viewed through the web archive :

https://web.archive.org/web/20221120020520/https://www.gameawards.net/2020/09/2013.html

2013 also had a spike, so I think it's largely down to new console generation driving more outlets to give out GOTY. 2020 being the height of the pandemic also would naturally boost numbers.
It’s live:

Gaiff

Not necessarily, in terms of publications that meet the qualifications of the people tracking and how many outlets choose to do a proper end of year GOTY list the amount varies year by year. 2020 had a lot more counted publications than any previous year, over 200 more than 2021's count. This is why percentage of awards>gross number of awards.

For reference here are the tallies for total GOTY lists counted from previous years :

• 2021 - 432
  • 2020 - 640
  • 2019 - 465
  • 2018 - 518
  • 2017 - 462
  • 2016 - 480
  • 2015 - 476
  • 2014 - 433
  • 2013 - 540
  • 2012 - 395
  • 2011 - 410
  • 2010 - 297
  • 2009 - 220
  • 2008 - 210
  • 2007 - 162
  • 2006 - 113
  • 2005 - 61
  • 2004 - 55
  • 2003 - 40
This is definitely strange. It remained consistent from 2014 to 2019 with a slight uptick in 2018 but it absolutely exploded in 2020, only to return to normal levels in 2021.

Handel

This is definitely strange. It remained consistent from 2014 to 2019 with a slight uptick in 2018 but it absolutely exploded in 2020, only to return to normal levels in 2021.
2013 is also an outlier, so it's probably a matter of new consoles launching more than anything. 2020 also had the pandemic giving people more time to play games, and also more time for the trackers to hunt down every award across the globe. Which sites are counted isn't a consistent metric, for instance this year the gameawards.net site is excluding personal GOTY lists, even if posted by a big media outlet like Forbes or Times(at least two people need to have been part of the process of picking the GOTY). There might well have been more than 432 outlets that gave out GOTY in 2021, but not all got tracked down.

Swift_Star

Banned
Oh boy, I think I hit a nerve.

I was asking why the gameplay of a "timeless classic" game didn't warrant a mention - the game part of a game is a pretty important factor in it being a timeless classic game in my opinion. There are thousands of great stories in video games, but they get lost to time because the game that delivers that story ages out of relevancy.
Cope.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Current tracking according to https://goty.gamefa.com/year/2022/
Putting image in spoiler due to obnoxious size. Here's the Top 5 so far:
ST4bCGj.png

Elden Ring has 253 total as of this morning.

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

MiguelItUp

It did to me, as an infinitely better game in so many different ways. Which, is my opinion, and matters more to me than other's. So, eh.

I didn't think TLOU2 was an awful game by any means. Just like GOWR. I just think they're extremely overhyped, and their previous iteration was a better experience through and through.

For me, Elden Ring just felt like a superior game, and one that I actually played more than was forced to sit and watch. Felt like another breath of fresh air in this year's "AAA" realm.

Surely not, I feel like there are a lot of platform specific sites for all platforms that typically give their GOTY to the biggest exclusive on that platform. Plus it seems like there are less sites overall than there used to be.

lachesis

If there was abundant internet and gaming media and all in 80s and early 90s like today - there would be many other games that would have toppled 300+
Just like there are more games in sports leagues and all, etc. Not discounting the quality of the games, and some awards do count as its measurement of the quality... but in general, I don't really consider GOTY numbers much. I mean, it must be a good game to win any GOTY recognition according to their own standards and tastes, but fixation in the numbers doesn't really mean anything to me.

K2D

Banned
Games are an experience and there is more than one aspect of a game that makes it a timeless classic.

Final Fantasy X and VII are going to be remembered for their story more so than the gameplay.
Super Metroid is going to be remembered for its gameplay more than its story.

The Last of Us is considered one of the greatest games of all time mainly because of its story.

These games bring memorable experiences that people want to relive or remember forever.
Isn't this very contentious? Aren't fans split in the middle about story, but agreed on gameplay? (..or you mean critics..)

Madflavor

Isn't this very contentious? Aren't fans split in the middle about story, but agreed on gameplay? (..or you mean critics..)

Yeah everyone pretty much came together on the gameplay and technical side of TLOU2, in that it was all exceptional. It was the story that divided people.

Surely not, I feel like there are a lot of platform specific sites for all platforms that typically give their GOTY to the biggest exclusive on that platform. Plus it seems like there are less sites overall than there used to be.

I wouldn't be so sure. Elden Ring has 290 right now. It's 33 awards away from passing TLOU2 at this point. If the previous years are anything to go by, around 20% of the total GoTY awards still come post New Years Eve. I think in the case of TLOU2, the last GOTY award it received was in April 2021.

Unless there's a sudden and dramatic shift toward God of War: Ragnarok, Elden Ring is on lock to be the new record holder.

Last edited:
Reactions: K2D

sandbood

Banned
TLOU 2 awards were mostly fakes btw, the owner of that website had included instagram, twitch, and facebook votes in order to inflate the points. He decided not to update that shite website after Elden Rings utter domination over GOWR and HFW. What a pathetic wanker.

Madflavor

TLOU 2 awards were mostly fakes btw, the owner of that website had included instagram, twitch, and facebook votes in order to inflate the points. He decided not to update that shite website after Elden Rings utter domination over GOWR and HFW. What a pathetic wanker.

This is true. As far as I'm aware random social media accounts aren't being counted this year. I think that podcasts are a recent addition though, but likely not to the crazy extend as the random social media accounts were in 2020.

Let's ignore the fact that the majority of the "GotY" awards were proven to be fake for TLOU2. Let's also ignore the fact that GotY awards are always completely idiotic and a waste of time.

Who gives a shit? The only ones who seem to care about GotY so ardently are warriors and mentally stunted man-children who need validation for their purchase decisions.

Madflavor

Let's ignore the fact that the majority of the "GotY" awards were proven to be fake for TLOU2. Let's also ignore the fact that GotY awards are always completely idiotic and a waste of time.

Who gives a shit? The only ones who seem to care about GotY so ardently are warriors and mentally stunted man-children who need validation for their purchase decisions.

It's a circus, but a circus can still be fun to entertaining to watch.

sandbood

Banned
That's because gameawards.net was handled by a sole TLOU2/Sony fanboy and he decided what to include and what to exclude in 2020. He was salty in 2019 when gotypicks blog didn't call Death Stranding as the goty in that year and created his own goty tracking website.

Gotypicks blog only has 180 goty awards for TLOU2 in comparison to 322 goty awards on his website that he pulled from whatever bullshits he found on the internet.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

That's because gameawards.net was handled by a sole TLOU2/Sony fanboy and he decided what to include and what to exclude in 2020. He was salty in 2019 when gotypicks blog didn't call Death Stranding as the goty in that year and created his own goty tracking website.

Gotypicks blog only has 180 goty awards for TLOU2 in comparison to 322 goty awards on his website that he pulled from whatever bullshits he found on the internet.

The site's up, how do you know he's a Sony fanboy? Or are you just pulling shit out of ur ass? His GOTY list on the left includes a bunch of different games.

Selection criteria:

Which types of games are eligible?

Any console, PC, handheld or mobile video game is included, provided that it is named the overall Game of the Year (GOTY) from an eligible media outlet.

• (1) "Expansions"/DLC, whether standalone or add-ons, to otherwise eligible titles are included.
  • (2) "Remake" versions are included from 2019 onward.
  • (3) Votes awarded to non-remastered or non-remade "ports" (i.e. a game re-released on new platforms in largely the same state) will be counted toward the totals in the year of the title's initial U.S. release date.
  • (4) To be eligible, the awarded title needs to have been released in the country of the media outlet. For media outlet critics, the title needs to have been released for review to critics before the publication of the award. For "readers' choice" votes, the title needs to have been released to the public before voting begins.

Which media outlets are eligible?

"Media outlets" include websites, magazines, newspapers, radio and TV broadcasts, podcasts, industry ceremonies, and online entertainment companies/content creators on streaming sites such as YouTube and Twitch.

• (1) Any media outlet operated by a single individual is not counted toward the total, for both the outlet's and the readers' choice votes. Outlets without author names on their articles, or that appear to be predominantly operated by single individuals, will be similarly ineligible, even if they have multiple people on staff.
  • (2) Digital media outlets must have their own website/domain name, where they regularly produce content for the majority of the year. This means that outlets existing solely on social media such as Facebook or Instagram are ineligible, and that websites, podcasts and online entertainment companies/content creators need to have their own web domain. Any digital outlet will be ineligible for inclusion if they do not maintain a web domain for more than half of the year and/or do not regularly produce content. Award results from otherwise eligible media outlets may be announced on any platform, however, including social media.
  • (3) Official forum votes, site polls, and "readers'/players'/fans' choice" votes from eligible media outlets are counted toward the award totals provided that the results are officially announced on behalf of the outlet. Unofficial forum polls from otherwise eligible outlets are not included.
  • (4) User community sites (e.g. places such as Reddit, message boards, forums, user polling sites, etc.) are generally not included; rare exceptions are made if the community has low potential for abuse, i.e. trolling, brigading and spamming the voting systems. Due to increasing concerns about these abuse issues, user community sites that allow free-email or anonymous registration are not included from 2020 onward.
  • (5) To avoid platform bias, votes from media outlets that are exclusively focused on a single platform or family of platforms (PlayStation, Xbox, PC, etc.) are not counted toward the total.
  • (6) Outlets with an overly restrictive scopefocusing on a particular region, genre, or concept to the exclusion of most gamesare not counted toward the total.
  • (7) Starting with the 2022 season, if a media outlet's award appears to have been posted by an individual (rather than multiple members of staff), it will not be counted. At least two staff members need to be part of the award selection process. (The rule for years prior to 2022 was: If a media outlet's award is posted by an individual [rather than the whole staff], it needs to be the only overall award the outlet posts for that year. If the outlet states that the award does not represent their overall view, or if the outlet has multiple, competing award lists from different individuals, they will not be counted.)
  • (8) Student-operated newspapers are included provided that they are from a college or university with a regularly updated online presence, and they meet all of the other criteria. Student-operated newspapers from high schools are not included. In practice, this only adds one to three awards per year.
  • (9) Starting with the 2022 season, outlets posting awards and/or having an eligibility cutoff before November 15th for the current year will not be counted. This is an effort to stop the forward time-creep that seems to be increasing every year. It's an unfortunately standard part of the industry that the last few weeks of December are generally omitted from dozens of notable awards, but not including the last two or three months will no longer be allowed.
  • (10) Some examples of excluded awards will be listed in a separate section at the bottom of the year's award page from 2020 onward, with a reason explaining why they are ineligible.

Which awards are eligible?

Only overall GOTY awards are eligible.
Individual genre, platform and technical achievement awards do not count toward a title's total GOTY awards.

• An outlet's 'overall GOTY' is the single title to which they give their highest award of the year, except in the case of a tie/draw vote. If a tie occurs, the number of titles awarded needs to be fewer than the number of staff on the voting team. For example, an outlet with three voting staff members cannot simply name each of their separate, personal favorites as the three different winners and call that a draw; if those three staff members have two titles tie as the result of a points system however, those two titles would be eligible. A maximum of three titles will be accepted as a points-based draw.
  • "Best of the year" lists are counted as a media outlet's overall GOTY if the top choice is clearly communicated, and the site does not have separate, formal GOTY awards.
  • If an outlet has separate awards for "indie" titles, those titles cannot be entirely and automatically excluded from the outlet's main GOTY awards category; inherently excluding any category of games from the GOTY awards, including indie titles, means that the main award is not actually an "overall" award, as it is not open to nominating games overall but only a certain subset of them. A site can separately recognize any categories that they wish ("best AAA games," "best indies," etc), and they do not need to nominate all types of games every year, but their highest award needs to at least, in principle, be open to games from all categories.
  • Retrospective awards are only accepted for years that the media outlet actually existed, produced regular content for more than half of the year, and did not originally give out an award for the year in question. "Retrospective" refers to any awards not given during the original year or subsequent year of the award title (for example, giving an award for 2016 in 2018 or later.)

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

This is true. As far as I'm aware random social media accounts aren't being counted this year. I think that podcasts are a recent addition though, but likely not to the crazy extend as the random social media accounts were in 2020.
Where's the proof MOST are fake?

Madflavor

Where's the proof MOST are fake?
Why you quoting me? I didn't say most of TLOU2's awards back in 2020 were fake.

My stance on it is that the one guy who ran the site, Kyle Key, was pumping the numbers up by accounting for any social media account that named their GOTY, no matter who they were or how many followers they had. This isn't news, it's been known for awhile now, and ResetEra called him out on it. He's a known avid Sony fan, and was clearly bias in his selection on who could count toward the aggregate. It's also no coincidence that his site went dark went it became clear early last month that Elden Ring was going to absolutely dominate the GOTY awards against God of War: Ragnarok. A Sony first party title. To give you a quick perspective on it, in 2019 there were 471 awards total. In 2020 there were 642. In 2021 there were 444 total. How do you go from 471 to 642 and then back down to 444 in the span of three years? That's roughly a 200 difference. That's how places like ResetEra noticed and caused them to go digging around.

So in a way, TLOU2 beating the The Witcher 3's previous record of 281 was a total sham.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Why you quoting me? I didn't say most of TLOU2's awards back in 2020 were fake.

My stance on it is that the one guy who ran the site, Kyle Key, was pumping the numbers up by accounting for any social media account that named their GOTY, no matter who they were or how many followers they had. This isn't news, it's been known for awhile now, and ResetEra called him out on it. He's a known avid Sony fan, and was clearly bias in his selection on who could count toward the aggregate. It's also no coincidence that his site went dark went it became clear early last month that Elden Ring was going to absolutely dominate the GOTY awards against God of War: Ragnarok. A Sony first party title. To give you a quick perspective on it, in 2019 there were 471 awards total. In 2020 there were 642. In 2021 there were 444 total. How do you go from 471 to 642 and then back down to 444 in the span of three years? That's roughly a 200 difference. That's how places like ResetEra noticed and caused them to go digging around.

So in a way, TLOU2 beating the The Witcher 3's previous record of 281 was a total sham.
Why am I quoting you? Because you replied with "this is true" when the sandbood said most awards are fake.

Skimming through the list, there are obviously a lot of websites that are counted that are not found in either 2019 or 2021. Many awards given in 2020 are from euro websites that are no doubt legit with a few questionable ones that I'm seeing so far.

If there are merely a handful of questionable awards from blogs, social media accounts, then there's no need to pretend like it happened with a good portion of the awards that TLOU 2 received.

Madflavor

Why am I quoting you? Because you replied with "this is true" when the sandbood said most awards are fake.
I see where you're coming from. I agreed with sandblood on the sentiment that the owner of the website fucked around with the count back in 2020, but I'm not hung up on the semantics of him using the word fake. That's probably not the word I would choose, but I saw where he was coming from and I agreed.

Skimming through the list, there are obviously a lot of websites that are counted that are not found in either 2019 or 2021. Many awards given in 2020 are from euro websites that are no doubt legit with a few questionable ones that I'm seeing so far. If there are merely a handful of questionable awards from blogs, social media accounts, then there's no need to pretend like it happened with a good portion of the awards that TLOU 2 received.
You can find some examples of individual nobody accounts on here or over on Era. In 2020 I was a part of the discussion about this and there were a lot of examples being brought up of accounts that really should not have been counted. And I mean a lot.

Madflavor Madflavor

[/URL][/URL]
Just curious.

Did you question ANY of these awards given out to Elden Ring, even though some awards on this list were given out by random accounts?
Not sure what you mean by random. If you mean "random accounts from different parts of the world that nobody's heard of", then yes those can count depending on whether or not they meet the stricter guidelines. Additionally to make sure the new tracking website (https://goty.gamefa.com/year/2022/) is following these stricter guidelines, there's a ResetEra member by the name of Brick who has an ongoing thread. He's going through every Media and Reader's Choice outlet individually to filter and make sure everything meets that new standard. The guidelines are as follows:

• At least two staff members need to be part of the award selection process.
    • It must be made visibly clear by the outlet that the GOTY has been chosen by more than one staff member. There are a lot of articles being published by single individual; they or the language must make it clear that their GOTY have been chosen by the staff through voting, discussions or a collaborative agreement. You can very easily tell is a GOTY has been chosen by an single individual if the site/gaming portion is mostly filled with articles written by the same individual.
  • Digital media outlets such as Podcast and Video Sharing Sites are not required to have their own website/domain name, but they must prove to have either well known members of the gaming industry, have a respectable amount of followers/subscribers and/or must have been active and producing content for at least a year.
  • Outlets posting awards and/or having an eligibility cutoff before November 1st for the current year will not be counted.
  • If a tie occurs, then both winners will be counted.
    • The number of titles awarded needs to be fewer than the number of staff on the voting team. For example, an outlet with three voting staff members cannot simply name each of their separate, personal favorites as the three different winners and call that a draw; if those three staff members have two titles tie as the result of a points system however, those two titles would be eligible. A maximum of three titles will be accepted as a points-based draw.
  • If a media outlet has their staff members choose their own personal GOTYs. Then the title(s) with the chosen majority will be considered that media outlet's overall GOTY winner.

So as of this morning the current tally on https://goty.gamefa.com/year/2022/ is 301 total for Elden Ring. So far Brick's count as of last night was 266 total, but he's still getting caught up.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
The question is more will the GOTY awards that Elden Ring will get
Here's an example of the kind of random social media accounts that were counted toward TLOU2's total back in 2020:

The guy has 52 followers. As in 52 followers right now. I don't know how many he had in 2020.

Dude's legit. 4 likes is half of what the french gvt get when they publish a tweet, counting bots.

But seriously the GOTYE craze in gaming is insane, and shows how much marketing driven and colluded the media is.

Mozzarella

Here's an example of the kind of random social media accounts that were counted toward TLOU2's total back in 2020:

The guy has 52 followers. As in 52 followers right now. I don't know how many he had in 2020.

This!
I have been saying that since 2 years ago already, lol, These GOTY trackers are so much bullshit, when TLOU2 was declared the ultimate winner i was one of the few who went out of my way and checked the source material, i started clicking on these articles and i was baffled how it could have been counted as 1 point towards the total GOTY in the same way an award from Gamespot would count as 1, which is totally unbalanced and unfair, i called it inflated at that point but i remember one of the winners was literally an Instagram page with few followers only, people went out of their way to count any award that they could find just to make the count bigger, they wanted to stick it out to the Anti SJWs or something, its literally "hyping and liking a game to own the libs" except in the opposite way lol.

Although its good that some of these links are getting exposed i want to note that the tracker thing is still unbalanced because it counts 2 awards one big and one small as the same value, so im not sure how much importance it actually holds but hopefully at the very least these outlets will be legit this time.

Actually you can probably find some of my posts here in 2020 talking about this issue.

Raven117

How could anyone honestly verify the accuracy of something like this?

Is it one of the best games of all time? Yup. It is sure is. No question about that.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Not sure what you mean by random. If you mean "random accounts from different parts of the world that nobody's heard of", then yes those can count depending on whether or not they meet the stricter guidelines. Additionally to make sure the new tracking website (https://goty.gamefa.com/year/2022/) is following these stricter guidelines, there's a ResetEra member by the name of Brick who has an ongoing thread. He's going through every Media and Reader's Choice outlet individually to filter and make sure everything meets that new standard. The guidelines are as follows:

No, your main complaint is that TLOU 2 was receiving awards from random accounts to boost the number of awards it received. You have been complaining about this for months if not years.

Madflavor

"Most GotY awards ever!" is an arbitrary system that should hold no weight, but unfortunately the gaming community is retarded.

Just to give perspective, here's a list of all the total GotY awards that were give out every year, for the past few years:

2018 - 519
2019 - 471
2020 - 648
2021 - 442

Where did those 200 GoTY awards go between 2020 - 2021? We literally counted a bunch of randos with twitter accounts who ejaculated over TLOU2, wanting to give their own GoTY award, and then we say TLOU2 is the record holder for the most GoTY awards ever. Not sure if the same thing will happen this year with Elden Ring but wouldn't be surprised. This is just all the more reason that video games near their own "Best Picture" or "Most Outstanding Drama" equivalent. The Game Awards needs their own unique goty title to separate their award from the rest of the 600 GotY awards that exist.
200 though? You can’t tell me this was the result of 200 websites and publications going after 2020, that’s way too high of an number. Of the extra 200 awards that appeared in 2020, how many of them were from websites and publications who normally don’t cover gaming, but they did that year just to cover how great TLoU2 was? How many were from random small time twitter accounts? It was probably a lot.

A difference of 48 awards between 2018 to 2019 is one thing, but a difference of 200? Yeah whatever standards there are for giving out a Game of the Year award and being counted toward an aggregate is nonexistent.

Now let's take a look at what you shared in another thread.

Current tracking according to https://goty.gamefa.com/year/2022/
Putting image in spoiler due to obnoxious size. Here's the Top 5 so far:

Elden Ring has 253 total as of this morning.

Did you say anything about the awards that were given out?

Here are a few examples.

151. Into The Aether (US)

155. Swapping Joysticks (UK)

193. Ultraverso (BR)

184. Si No Sabes, Pacote Metes (ES)

224. The DMGT (US)

296. Story Mode Gaming (AU)

306. The Smash Hit Chronicles (US)

If this was The Last of Us, you would be all over it and critical of the awards given out.

But it's Elden Ring and you haven't said a word.

YIKES!! I always knew that site was full of shit.

Last edited:

Madflavor

No, your main complaint is that TLOU 2 was receiving awards from random accounts to boost the number of awards it received. You have been complaining about this for months if not years.

Madflavor

Now let's take a look at what you shared in another thread.

Did you say anything about the awards that were given out?

Here are a few examples.

[/URL]

155. Swapping Joysticks (UK)
[/URL]

193. Ultraverso (BR)
[/URL]

184. Si No Sabes, Pacote Metes (ES)
[/URL]

224. The DMGT (US)
[/URL]

296. Story Mode Gaming (AU)
[/URL]

306. The Smash Hit Chronicles (US)
[/URL]

If this was The Last of Us, you would be all over it and critical of the awards given out.

But it's Elden Ring and you haven't said a word.

Look I'm not going to look over you entire post because there's one red flag with your response to me that caught me eye. You gave me a list of GOTY examples this year that should not be counted toward Elden Ring. I looked at the first one you gave me which was:

https://www.youtube.com/@intothecast

The problem here is that In The Aether perfectly fits into the new guidelines which I listed for you. If you look into their About section for their podcast:
https://intothecast.online/

One of the members of Into The Aethar has over 1k followers, and the other member has nearly 3k. Not a ton, but certainly better than the one I posted earlier that had 52 followers. Additionally these guys were named "Esquire's Gaming Podcast of 2021". Here's their posting:

Best Gaming Podcast
Into the Aether

Into the Aether, hosted by Stephen Hilger and Brendon Bigley, is the best video game podcast of 2021. And it’s also the only video game podcast that has allowed me to come on and yell about Wii Sports Resort. Those two facts are by no means connected! Really, though, ITA has had a big 2021. Look no further than its Twitter page in the past few weeks, where troves of listeners have posted Spotify 2021 wrap-ups proudly revealing Aether as their #1 podcast of the year. Stephen and Brendon, the self-described (not) low-key game historians, spent a big chunk of the year digging through the Game Boy Advance’s library, gathering enough cartridges to fill, I imagine, a bathtub. And the result, other than an expectedly charming mega-episode about 32-bit Nintendo history, was everyone I know buying themselves a modded Game Boy Advance (you should stop by RetroDodo.com for throwback handheld recommendations, by the way). It’s this commitment to game preservation and the friendlier side of gaming discourse that made ITA a main part of my 2021 listening line-up. —D.N.

So I'm sorry to burst your bubble but these guys do meet the new critieria for being counted to the GOTY aggregate. So I'm not going to waste anymore time going through the rest of the examples you listed. You're free to go through each award one by one if you like. But the difference between this year and 2020's is that 2020's was done by a single individual with a known bias for Sony titles. This year is a collaborative effort by a bunch of ResetEra members, and we all know how committed and psychotic they can be. If an award gets listed that doesn't meet the criteria, they will filter it out.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Look I'm not going to look over you entire post because there's one red flag with your response to me that caught me eye. You gave me a list of GOTY examples this year that should not be counted toward Elden Ring. I looked at the first one you gave me which was:

https://www.youtube.com/@intothecast

The problem here is that In The Aether perfectly fits into the new guidelines which I listed for you. If you look into their About section for their podcast:
https://intothecast.online/

One of the members of Into The Aethar has over 1k followers, and the other member has nearly 3k. Not a ton, but certainly better than the one I posted earlier that had 52 followers. Additionally these guys were named "Esquire's Gaming Podcast of 2021". Here's their posting:

Best Gaming Podcast

Into the Aether

Into the Aether, hosted by Stephen Hilger and Brendon Bigley, is the best video game podcast of 2021. And it’s also the only video game podcast that has allowed me to come on and yell about Wii Sports Resort. Those two facts are by no means connected! Really, though, ITA has had a big 2021. Look no further than its Twitter page in the past few weeks, where troves of listeners have posted Spotify 2021 wrap-ups proudly revealing Aether as their #1 podcast of the year. Stephen and Brendon, the self-described (not) low-key game historians, spent a big chunk of the year digging through the Game Boy Advance’s library, gathering enough cartridges to fill, I imagine, a bathtub. And the result, other than an expectedly charming mega-episode about 32-bit Nintendo history, was everyone I know buying themselves a modded Game Boy Advance (you should stop by RetroDodo.com for throwback handheld recommendations, by the way). It’s this commitment to game preservation and the friendlier side of gaming discourse that made ITA a main part of my 2021 listening line-up. —D.N.

So I'm sorry to burst your bubble but these guys do meet the new critieria for being counted to the GOTY aggregate. So I'm not going to waste anymore time going through the rest of the examples you listed. You're free to go through each award one by one if you like. But the difference between this year and 2020's is that 2020's was done by a single individual with a known bias for Sony titles. This year is a collaborative effort by a bunch of ResetEra members, and we all know how committed and psychotic they can be. If an award gets listed that doesn't meet the criteria, they will filter it out.

Sorry, but you got busted.

You're complaining about the awards given almost 3 years later and completely ignored it for Elden Ring. If these were "the new rules" then you wouldn't say anything about this after all these years.

Notice this goalpost moving.

Ode to Games

Logan Plant
@LoganJPlant

Freelance video game and entertainment journalist @IGN . Host of @ToadstoolBR , @OdetoGames , and @Bbaseballcast . @WSU Grad. Formerly @NinWire . He/Him

Logan Plant used to work for Nintendo Wire and has written Articles from IGN.

He has over 30 articles written for IGN.

Your excuses aren't working. We know why you hold different standards for TLOU and Elden Ring.

johnjohn

Looks inevitable that Elden Ring will pass TLOU2, which makes a lot of the posts in this thread pretty funny.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The insanity of some people to inflate that last of us 2 number is crazy to me. I heard it was fake but that's crazy how bad it was.

Adding twitter accounts with 52 followers lol

Then weren't naughty dog or Sony using that "over 300 goty awards" quotes when talking about the game.

That's pretty sad, chief.

Hopefully wlden ring beats the shit out of it honestly as its much more deserved. Slimy ass snake moves.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The insanity of some people to inflate that last of us 2 number is crazy to me. I heard it was fake but that's crazy how bad it was.

Adding twitter accounts with 52 followers lol

Then weren't naughty dog or Sony using that "over 300 voty awards" quotes when talking about the game.

That's pretty sad, chief.

Hopefully wlden ring beats the shit out of it honestly as its much more deserved. Slimy ass snake moves.
You have twitter accounts with barely any followers giving out awards to Elden Ring.

Why is this being ignored? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom