• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Elden Ring reignite interest in Dark Souls 2?

Is the hate for Dark Souls 2 unjustified?

• No, it has always sucked and always will.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • It wasn’t made by Miyazaki, so no.

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • It’s ok but still the worst entry.

Votes: 86 41.5%
  • It’s completely unjustified.

Votes: 71 34.3%
  • Dark Souls 2 is my favorite installment. It’s even better than Elden Ring.

Votes: 10 4.8%

• Total voters

skit_data

I’m beginning to see a lot of renewed interest in Dark Souls 2 following Elden Rings release. There are some aspects of Elden Ring that are drawn more from DS2 than any other installment.

I’ve always considered the hate for DS2 completely unjustified and I’m almost 100% convinced that a lot of people always hating it never actually played/finished it. It’s just become part of the community to shit on DS2. Sure, it takes quite a while to get used to the general ”feel” of DS2 compared to the other entries but DS2 has a ton of great mechanics that went missing in later installments (Bonfire ascetics, lifegems, Company of Champions equivalent, a much more ”scary” pvp-system etc.)

Will we see a resurgence of ”new” DS2 players finally admitting they never actually played it and sing its praise once they realize its actually a really strong entry in the From Softwares work? Is anyone else noticing this trend?

I should add that I have only played the SotFS Edition and that it might influence my overall positive view of the game.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Before Elden RIng it was still good to play. After, dunno, doubt it. Only if you're not bored of playing practically the same game with less stuff. DLC bosses are great tho, better than most ER bosses.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Elden Ring players should actually play Nioh 2, the best souls game out there.
SnappyFelineBull-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
I liked DS2 far more than DS3.

Especially because DS3 was after Bloodborne. And I felt DS3 was a step backwards from that.

Also DS2 was a pretty good looking PS3 game. But DS3 was a PS4 game. And I had much higher expectations. And it was barely improved over DS2.

Also I liked all the PvP challenges built into DS2. I remember the PvP as memorable.

Yumi

If Elden Ring is a players first From Software game, I can see them checking out the rest of the catalog. Though I doubt most of them will prefer Dark Souls 2 to it.

Personally, Elden Ring hasn’t made me want to go back to any of the previous From Soft games, and I liked them all.

Larxia

I always loved Dark Souls 2 and never understood the hate.

Yes, like many people, I prefer how clever and well connected the world of Dark Souls 1 is, this was my biggest disappointment with DS 2 back then, however, something to really keep in consideration is that it's only the case for the first half of dark souls 1, the second half being really awful in comparison. And Dark Souls 1 was the only one like this, Dark Souls 3 gave up on that too with the teleportation available right from the beginning of the game, the more linear design etc. Dark Souls 2 was very criticized for this, but no other souls games ever did it like Dark Souls 1. I feel like it got criticized because it came right after DS 1, people were disappointed by this, then DS 3 came, and even if the issue was still here, people somehow forgave it this time because there was Miyazaki.

Dark Souls 2 had a great atmosphere, great areas with lot a variety, and most importantly, the best gameplay in the series. It's very reactive and precise, when Dark Souls 1 was a bit too heavy / slow, and dark souls 3 was too floaty. The amount of build variety is insane, you can do so many things. It's very balanced, unlike dark souls 3 where weight doesn't have that much impact anymore and playing with a heavy build is recommended since a dex build won't be much faster anymore in comparison to the damage they deal.

The PVP was also the best in the series by FAR. It was amazing.

I haven't played Elden Ring yet because I'm waiting for the PC issues to be hopefully fixed at some point, so I can't compare them yet.

Larxia

You misspelled Sekiro. But sure, it's pretty nice with all the weapon stances.
I don't think people should compare Sekiro with Souls all the time, for me it's completely different.

I personally really didn't like the combat system of Sekiro. I was very confused at first because of how hard it is to remove health from bosses, then a friend showed me how it's supposed to be done, and I actually found it boring because just parrying over and over until you can finish the boss kind of feel like there isn't actually any combat, I feel like I have to wait until the game tells me "okay, now you can kill the boss", it's a really special feeling, one that wasn't for me.

Spaceman292

Banned
it's only the case for the first half of dark souls 1, the second half being really awful in comparison.
I see a lot of people say this but I never understood it. The second half has some great stuff. And the first half has some relatively dull stuff: sewers, burg, swamp etc

peronmls

The only thing I noticed it's similarities with DS2 is the small soldier enemies. They have green zombie faces like the ones in DS2. That's all I noticed though.

Aesius

I can definitely see the similarities between ER and DS2. At times ER feels like an open-world Drangleic. ER and DS2 also both seem to be a little more "high fantasy" than DS1 and DS3. I mean, they are still quite dark and foreboding, but their worlds seem more "magical" than those of the other Souls games.

In retrospect, I think DS3 may have been something of a panic move by Miyazaki and FromSoft. DS2 was divisive so he went back to a winning formula and made DS3 very similar to DS1. If he had been more hands-on with DS2, I think it, but most importantly DS3, would have been very different.

It's probably fair to say that ER includes a lot of Miyazaki's original plans for DS2 which got shelved or pared down once he focused on Bloodborne.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I enjoyed it overall, but i was like "wtf" because it felt like a deviation. Yeah; Don't even get me started on the map philosophy changes.. My favorite thing about the game was to jank the ethernet every time someone invaded me.

TLDR; It's not close to Elden Ring as a game.

Last edited:

Freeman76

No because DS2 was weak as fuck, B Team failed. Because souls is such a great premise it was still a decent enough game, but not in the same league as the others. The gameworld is bland and empty, enemies just plonked wherever, and all the intricate looking castles etc you dont even go inside, just through a corridor around the edges. Did have decent builds though!

Dark Souls 1 and 2 are tied for my favorite Souls games, but I haven’t finished Elden Ring and I also don’t really consider Sekiro a Souls game. Sekiro is it’s own thing being a mishmash of Souls and more traditional Character Action game and I really love it too. It scratched that sort of Ninja Gaiden itch I’ve been missing for a while.

Dark Souls 2 is a game that’s great despite going through development hell, and the DLC is some of the best I’ve ever played. Up until Elden Ring it had the best build variety of any Souls game, and the pacing is great. Since there’s so many branching paths you can take a similar approach as Elden Ring (albeit on a much smaller scale) in that you have some options on what you want to tackle first.

DaS1 has a much more intended, Metroidvania path, that you’ll probably only deviate from on accident or on repeat playthroughs when you know what you’re doing, and DaS3 is just straight up the most linear game of the three and feels railroaded by comparison.

Since all three Souls games are so different in terms of overall progression design I think it’s very subjective what someone may favor, but in my opinion the more linear design of DaS3 makes it the weakest of the three, despite having definite high points.

DaS3 and Elden Ring were also co-directed by the guy who ended up directing/salvaging DaS2 from its aforementioned development hell, so the whole “only Miyazaki should touch the games” mentality never made much sense to me, since Miyazaki himself must have seen worth in what Tanimura did with 2.

I know I’ll rustle some Jimmie’s with this but honestly I feel Demons is the worst Souls, but only because it’s the least polished and most janky, which is more due to it not aging as well as the other games that had the luxury of building on it as a foundation; it’s still a great game in its own right.

I’m really not expecting many to agree with me of course, as all the Souls games have their pros and cons and it’s pretty easy to prefer any over the others. It’s a really consistent series.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I always loved Dark Souls 2 and never understood the hate.

It's mostly the Miyazaki-stans who considered Dark Souls 2 a "B-Team" affair, despite - in my mind - it being the most fun Dark Souls of any of the games, especially the complete SCHOLAR full package.

. . .did the level design make any sense when it was mapped out? Nope. Did it matter? Nope. The game was fun. Punishing, challenging and full of beginners traps, but still fun.

Most importantly though - it was fair.

skit_data

"I just played this amazing game! I KNOW WHAT I'LL DO NEXT! PLAY THE WORST SOULS GAME OUT THERE!"

that doesn't sound like a logical sentence, does it?
I see it more as people might have overlooked DS2 because of its bad rep and once that souls-itch needs scratching might want to try it out because of the similarities to Elden Ring that are present in DS2 but not in any other game.

I consider DS3 the weakest overall but it’s still a great game and have no strong feelings about it. Some people just seem to have this unreasonable hate towards DS2 specifically, like DS2 slept with their mom or something.

Edit: I might add that DS2 is not my favorite installment either. Might change when I’ve finished Elden Ring but so far Bloodborne and DS1 are in tied 1st place. Bloodborne because I think it’s the most consistent overall and DS1 because it was the first I played and it’s approach to level/world design has the exact right amount of ”what? I’m back at Firelink?”-feeling.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I respect those that love DS2, I didn't think it was god awful, but I definitely thought it was the weakest in the series of Souls games. The music, the environments, the enemies, even the bosses sans a couple, just all felt so watered down to me. Hell, even the flow. By the end of the game it felt like such a chore to finish for me. I was curious about going back to play the DLC as I've had people tell me that its the best parts of DS2, but I just lost the care to even pursue it.

Every other entry didn't do that to me whatsoever. So, I think that says quite a bit.

Regarding revisiting DS2 because of Elden Ring's success, if anything, I'd assume Elden Ring's success may make people more curious about Demon's Souls on PS5. I say that since it came out more recently than the other titles. But, I could see folks checking them all out, honestly. Especially if they never cared about the games, but they clicked with Elden Ring.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

It's not a coincidence that Elden Ring draws inspiration from DS2. Yui Tanimura, who directed Scholar of the First Sin, is co-director of Elden Ring. I consider DS2 by far, the best Souls-game. I've had so much fun with that game. It was disheartening to see all the hate the game got.

Codes 208

I see a lot of mixed aspects that remind me of the souls series in general (the general combat and fluidity reminds me more of BB/DS3 and sekiro however) not just 2. Unless youre referring to the high boss count, thats like the one big thing i can connect to ds2 specifically.

Oh and all the gank fights, the one thing i really wished they didnt take from ds2

Last edited:
When I think back about my fond memories of the souls series, Dark Souls 2 SotfS is the first game that comes to mind, followed by Bloodborne. They are artistically up there on the list, and like a few others have said here, I also felt that DS3 dropped the ball in certain regards to the point where I felt that was not the game they wanted to make at the time, but they were asked to.

DS2 artistically just had more memorable locations to me.

8e7a2124163a610ae689406bd60d78b0--dark-souls--videogames.jpg

vpYsYms-eeNYi6Zoc4DkKlM2ROJR-hJOD96rIzZ6dHA.jpg

ds2ivory.jpg

14700B19610DD38D19E419BD734174B14CDB782B

2834551-3220731689-

drangleic-castle-dark-souls-2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

CelJaded-The-World-of-Dark-Souls-II-Harvest-Valley.jpg

Nmw2.PNG

CelJaded-The-World-of-Dark-Souls-II-Shulva-Sanctum-City.jpg

48371568601_96652cdf06_b.jpg

s-mrry-148-poisoned.jpg

Raven117

Its still a solid entry. Its just not AS good as the others.

(But we need to talk about Dark Souls 3...which really is about the same as Dark Souls 2...it felt more phoned in than other games from From).

Lognor

Banned
Nioh 2 is a prequel and is better than 1, although Nioh is fantastic too. But if you only wanna play one game, then should be 2.
Good to know. I will wait for it to be free on Epic Game Store. That's how I got the first game and it actually surprised me. I liked it a lot!

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Only good Dark Souls is the first one. Dark Souls 2 is ripe with bad game design moments and Dark Souls 3 is more of a straight line than FF XIII. So maybe people will be curious to play them like me but once you know you know.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Only good Dark Souls is the first one. Dark Souls 2 is ripe with bad game design moments and Dark Souls 3 is more of a straight line than FF XIII. So maybe people will be curious to play them like me but once you know you know.
ds3 is a curated, tight elden ring without all the repeated bosses.
It's just not open world which is not a bad thing

Top Bottom