• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will game sales take a massive hit this year being current gen only?

It seems like a lot of a big games this year will be current gen only, which means only xbox series s/x, ps5, pc (sometimes)

• Starfield
  • Redfall
  • Final Fantasy 16
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Arc Raiders
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Suicide Squad
  • Stellar Blade
  • Jedi Survivor
  • Etc.

Will the end of cross-gen for major titles this year see a steep decline in overall game sales or do you think we’ll be fine?

Mr Hyde

Given the recession, lower install base and higher price point, I think the sales will take some hits, but overall I think they will be fine, especially for big games like Spider Man 2, Final Fantasy 16 and Starfield. I think most of the world is ready to move on from last gen so hopefully it will reflect in sales too.

Alternate take: Will current gen-only releases sell more current gen consoles, due to factors like FOMO? My answer is yes.

Go_Ly_Dow

PS5 sales seemed to have picked up quickly espesh with more stock. A lot of these games are system sellers too that will encourage quite a few to pick up a current-gen console this year. I have a few friends that will get a PS5 because of FFXVI.

I'd guess they'll take a small hit, but with the new PS5 coming and current-gen only games, we'll see decent transition this year to the latest hardware.

Last edited:
Look at the sales of games that are cross-gen like God of War and Horizon. Despite PS4 having a much larger install base the vast majority of sales were on PS5.

Also, when PS5s saw a restock you saw these games jump up the chart. Those still waiting to get new-gen hardware are also waiting to play these games until they can get those versions.

So, no, I don't think it will hurt sales much, at all.

PS5 sales seemed to have picked up quickly. A lot of these games are system sellers too that will encourage quite a few to pick up a current-gen console this year. I have a few friends that will get a PS5 because of FFXVI.

I'd guess they'll take a small hit, but with the new PS5 coming and current-gen only games, we'll see decent transition this year to the latest hardware.

I def think this is the year that will force most people to upgrade outside of super casuals that are just ok playing COD and FIFA on last gen still

Robb

Gold Member
Haven’t thought about that, maybe. Although Ps5 sales are going fast so who knows. The user base might be there to sell gangbusters.

For the MS games I don’t think it’ll matter as we won’t get numbers either way, they’ll probably just announce the amount of players.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Yes, instead of making absolutely disgusting amount of money theyll just make tons of money instead.
People with newer consoles are likely more invested, but who knows if its enough to outweight the people on previous gen machines, although a lot of the previous gen owners has already moved on to the current gen so the old userbase has likely diminished and it will only increase to do so.

I expect the crossplatform games to do better on pc than on current gen consoles. I am actually surprised that sony hasnt been releasing the ps5 exclusives day 1 on pc for the first 2 years and only keeping their crossgen ones fully exclusive because of the stock issues which have long passed since they make most of their money from software sales. Theres no way the sales could have been good when there was so few consoles at that time. I bet game sales on series x and s exclusive games were laughtable compared to the pc versions.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
9th gen has 50 million active players. Safe to say we're crossing the barrier where cross gen dies. I'm glad for it too, all this new PS5/XSX only stuff is making me excited

NickFire

I'd guess probably. But it's not a bad thing. It's vital they move on at some point or else everything would stagnate forever.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I mean not everything will be like Harry Potter but it sold over 10 million copies on just PC/PS5/XBS so I don’t think we’ll see much of a drop?

Top Bottom