• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will God of War Ragnarok be the last PlayStation cross gen exclusive?

Will God of War Ragnarok be the last big cross gen exclusive?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

odhiex

I would expect there are still cross gen games from Sony in 2023, especially for smaller titles or multiplayer games.

However, big budget AAA titles would be PS5 only in 2023, moving forward.

The transitions normally taken place in 1-2 years anyway.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's already confirmed not to be.
Just like GT7, Miles Morales, and Horizon Forbidden West were confirmed to be PS5 exclusive.

Exactly. And many more to come. Deathloop, a timed exclusive from Bethesda no less, it's PS5 only (PC too, but I mean no cross gen). Vampire Blood Hunt is not going to PS4, next year Forspoken is PS5 only, FFXVI is PS5 only and hopefully makes 2022, smaller games like Stray is PS5 only, then just announced for 2023 Spider-Man 2 is PS5 only, same for Wolverine, same for whatever else Cory Barlog is directing, and I'm willing to bet all their PS Studio games 2023 onwards will be PS5 exclusive, whatever ND is working, Bend, Firesprite, and not 1st party but whatever BluePoint is working for them is PS5 only too.
Why are you listing third party and timed exclusives as if they’re the same as Sony themselves making PS5 only first party games? Death loop not releasing on ps4 is irrelevant to Sony making cross gen games.

Last edited:
Sony also said Spiderman Remastered is only available in the MM deluxe bundle.

Then a month after launch they announced a standalone Spiderman Remastered for $40.

One month later. In other words, Insomniac was working on a standalone version the whole time, but BS'ed an answer to sell more bundle copies or MM.

There's no standalone version, you can check that for yourself.

ZywyPL

Banned
It’s said to be a PS5 exclusive on their blog:

The same was said about GT7, HFW and GoW... I think it'll all depend on how many PS5 they'll be able to supply, if after 2022 there will be like 30-35M PS5 but still 80-90M PS4, chances are many games will still be cross-gen, especially the most expensive projects.

Of course not.
This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Other way around. It’s incredibly easy to make a PS5 version from a PS4 version, not so much the other way due to significantly inferior hardware across every facet of the console.

I remember a lot of arguing about Microsoft’s cross gen strategy last year - with people actually trying to claim it‘s easy to downgrade a game designed for Series X onto One X, with no loss of fidelity or game design.

It was as stupid to claim that then about Microsoft’s consoles as it is to do it now with Sony’s.

Any game on both generations of console will have the next gen version hamstrung by the need to function on eight year old hardware.

The fact people still try to argue against this baffles me.

Three

Not for HFW. The game was announced in June 2020. But only in September of that year we came to know from an interview that it is coming also to PS4.
They were not announced as PS5 exclusive though. September before the PS5 even released the platforms were confirmed. Exactly like Miles.

I remember a lot of arguing about Microsoft’s cross gen strategy last year - with people actually trying to claim it‘s easy to downgrade a game designed for Series X onto One X, with no loss of fidelity or game design.

It was as stupid to claim that then about Microsoft’s consoles as it is to do it now with Sony’s.

Any game on both generations of console will have the next gen version hamstrung by the need to function on eight year old hardware.

The fact people still try to argue against this baffles me.
I don't ever remember hearing that. I've always heard that it would be easy to scale between the XSX and XSS not X1X. The X1X will always have a major deficit in its CPU processing power. Of course if it runs on the X1X it would run on the X1 and that was the weakest system last generation. People thinking the XSX and X1 would downscale easily should not be listened to.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think there's a few things people are forgetting here.

1. Prior generations lose economic viability pretty quickly as the most lucrative players (hardcore gamers) move to the next generation right away. Picture supporting the PS3 in 2016. Most companies didn't do it because the 2016 PS3 base didn't buy games, save for a few more casual titles (Fifa, Madden).

2. The reason why Sony still believes in exclusives is because they want gamers to buy the hardware. Once stock reaches store shelves (2022?), incentive increases for them to convince the public to buy a PS5. That's done with high profile exclusives.

3. Pre Covid, MS was criticized for saying "We're going to be doing cross gen games for 1 to 2 years after launch." Sony committed to releasing exclusives much sooner (Demons Souls, Destruction All Stars, Returnal, Rift Apart, Deathloop etc...). If Jimbo greenlit year 1 exclusives, he has significantly more financial incentive to greenlight year 3 exclusives.

RaySoft

Depends if GOW:R releases before or after Horizon:FW.. Those two games will be the last big franchise games being x-gen. At least from PSS

Last edited:

Vognerful

They were not announced as PS5 exclusive though. September before the PS5 even released the platforms were confirmed. Exactly like Miles.
For God sake not this again.

The game was announced in JUNE event as PS5 game. The twitter of playstation said "coming to PS5".

Only in September in an interview with a fucking 3rd party website we came to know that the game is coming to PS5.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The game was announced in JUNE event as PS5 game. The twitter of playstation said "coming to PS5".

Only in September in an interview with a fucking 3rd party website we came to know that the game is coming to PS5.

Yup.

Now people will technically say Sony wasnt wrong. They never said "it will NEVER come to PS4" or "PS5 ONLY". Their message all summer was it's coming to PS5 and zero mention of PS4 in any way. GT7 was different. They said it was "PS5 EXCLUSIVE" in a Dec 2020 video.

Even though grammatically Sony wasn't wrong for Horizon FW, it's misleading.

That would be like a car maker saying their new sports car releasing soon comes in awesome 8 speed manual transmission all year. Aimed at enthusiasts who dont want handholding automatic. But then a month before it hits shelves, they announce there's an 8 speed automatic option too on day one. Technically, they arent wrong. They never said there will be no automatic.

But it's obvious that summer 2020 show was to drum up PS5 hype and other games were then classified as cross gen too like Spiderman MM and Sackboy. If they were honest and said in the June show all these games were cross gen day one, that show would had been nailed to the cross as a cross gen borefest.

Marketing 101 at it's best.

Last edited:

Three

Please refer to MrFunSocks post
Wasn't GT7 announced as a PS5 exclusive too though? And miles morales? And Forbidden West?
Those two games were not announced as PS5 exclusive even if they were said to be 'coming to PS5'. The June trailer says "Playstation Exclusive" not PS5 exclusive.

Also this is a first party website

This is where platforms were confirmed and other sites sourced that first party site. 2 months before PS5 release.

Last edited:

Vognerful

Please refer to MrFunSocks post

Those two games were not announced as PS5 exclusive even if they were said to be 'coming to PS5'. The June trailer says "Playstation Exclusive" not PS5 exclusive.

Also this is a first party website
iWBCEO9.jpg

This is called "lying by omission", from Wikipedia:

Lying by omission, also known as a continuing misrepresentation or quote mining, occurs when an important fact is left out in order to foster a misconception. Lying by omission includes the failure to correct pre-existing misconceptions.

Vognerful

Yup.

Now people will technically say Sony wasnt wrong. They never said "it will NEVER come to PS4" or "PS5 ONLY". Their message all summer was it's coming to PS5 and zero mention of PS4 in any way. GT7 was different. They said it was "PS5 EXCLUSIVE" in a Dec 2020 video.

Even though grammatically Sony wasn't wrong for Horizon FW, it's misleading.

That would be like a car maker saying their new sports car releasing soon comes in awesome 8 speed manual transmission all year. Aimed at enthusiasts who dont want handholding automatic. But then a month before it hits shelves, they announce there's an 8 speed automatic option too on day one. Technically, they arent wrong. They never said there will be no automatic.

But it's obvious that summer 2020 show was to drum up PS5 hype and other games were then classified as cross gen too like Spiderman MM and Sackboy. If they were honest and said in the June show all these games were cross gen day one, that show would had been nailed to the cross as a cross gen borefest.

Marketing 101 at it's best.
Lying by omission, also known as a continuing misrepresentation or quote mining, occurs when an important fact is left out in order to foster a misconception. Lying by omission includes the failure to correct pre-existing misconceptions.

Three

iWBCEO9.jpg

This is called "lying by omission", from Wikipedia:
This is called announcing a game at a PS5 showcase. Much like the Xbox Series showcase or even any E3 show. When they show a game at an E3 conference they don't say also coming to PC, Xbox, Switch, and PlayStation. They market it with the show it's revealed at. That is different to saying "HFW was announced as a PS5 exclusive". No it wasn't. Otherwise Battlefield 2042 was announced as an xbox exclusive but you clearly know better there. HFW says Playstation Exclusive not PS5 Exclusive. It was just revealed at the PS5 show hence the marketing/twitter hashtags on the PS5 reveal day.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Didn't they say the same for Miles Morales until like aomth before release?
They never explicitly said it was a PS5 exclusive like they did with SM2 & Wolverine, it just said "PlayStation Exclusive" at the end of the first MM trailer (meaning PS4 & PS5) but somehow no one including me noticed it, it was right there in plain sight.

Warablo

They already said going forward it's gonna be a $10 upgrade, so apparently they are looking for more cross gen goodness.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is called announcing a game at a PS5 showcase. Much like the Xbox Series showcase or even any E3 show. When they show a game at an E3 conference they don't say also coming to PC, Xbox, Switch, and PlayStation. They market it with the show it's revealed at. That is different to saying "HFW was announced as a PS5 exclusive". No it wasn't. Otherwise Battlefield 2042 was announced as an xbox exclusive but you clearly know better there. HFW says Playstation Exclusive not PS5 Exclusive. It was just revealed at the PS5 show hence the marketing/twitter hashtags on the PS5 reveal day.
The difference is that competitors dont marketing competitors. That goes for any industry. If there's a new bag of chips on sale, Walmart isn't going to say it's also available at Target or Loblaws.

Now if the reason for purposely not saying some games were cross gen because it was a dedicated PS5 show, then why not be open to gamers after the show or on Twitter and say games X, Y, X are cross gen afterwards? They didn't tell gamers until I think September in a blog, which was 3 months after the June show.

So it's obvious to drum up PS5 exclusive hype, they purposely left out mentioning PS4 versions until 3 months later. Horizon FW was the biggest game in that show, so if they did say it was PS4 too it would had drowned out the excitement.

Also, if you read game articles last summer, everyone was assuming it was PS5 only. So everyone got tricked. You never saw Sony come out and tell sites or gamers that is wrong and a PS4 version is coming too. Nobody heard anything until Sony said in their Sept blog it was cross gen.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It seems like 3 years into the current generation would be a good place to stop supporting the previous generation.

Three

The difference is that competitors dont marketing competitors. That goes for any industry. If there's a new bag of chips on sale, Walmart isn't going to say it's also available at Target or Loblaws.

Now if the reason for purposely not saying some games were cross gen because it was a dedicated PS5 show, then why not be open to gamers after the show or on Twitter and say games X, Y, X are cross gen afterwards? They didn't tell gamers until I think September in a blog, which was 3 months after the June show.

So it's obvious to drum up PS5 exclusive hype, they purposely left out mentioning PS4 versions until 3 months later. Horizon FW was the biggest game in that show, so if they did say it was PS4 too it would had drowned out the excitement.
I'm not talking just competitors. I mean it's standard practice and not at all new that a tweet on the day of the PS5 reveal would mention PS5 in a hashtag with the game. It happens with everything. Having PS5 only hashtags on a tweet is not the same as announcing a game as PS5 exclusive. Even if someone thinks it's lying by omission.

An example again

Is this xbox twitter lying by omission? No its them marketing xbox one and Series S/X.
If any journalist had any doubts between June and September that "Playstation Exclusive" meant PS4/PS5 they could have easily asked. Nobody cared. 2 months before PS5 release it was confirmed by Sony themselves with nobody asking so the silly excuse that anybody bought a PS5 because of this is nonsense too.

Last edited:
They never explicitly said it was a PS5 exclusive like they did with SM2 & Wolverine, it just said "PlayStation Exclusive" at the end of the first MM trailer (meaning PS4 & PS5) but somehow no one including me noticed it, it was right there in plain sight.
Everyone noticed it, but they said that precisely to not mention PS4 and deceive their customers.

I don't think this a next gen game unless Imsoniac has like 5 teams. Either that or it will be a really short game like Ratchet.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not talking just competitors. I mean it's standard practice and not at all new that a tweet on the day of the PS5 reveal would mention PS5 in a hashtag with the game. It happens with everything. Having PS5 only hashtags on a tweet is not the same as announcing a game as PS5 exclusive. Even if someone thinks it's lying by omission.

An example again

Is this xbox twitter lying by omission? No its them marketing xbox one and Series S/X.
If any journalist had any doubts between June and September that "Playstation Exclusive" meant PS4/PS5 they could have easily asked. Nobody cared. 2 months before PS5 release it was confirmed by Sony themselves with nobody asking so the silly excuse that anybody bought a PS5 because of this is nonsense too.

Titanfall was announced for Xbox One, 360 and PC at E3. Gamers know it is cross gen.

Also, the 360 version was delayed a month too. So how is the cross gen 360 version going to land on the same day?

As for Psychonauts 2, the same thing. The game had already been promoted to gamers as mutli platform from the start. It's not like they are promoting Series S/X only and then 3 months later they announced other platforms they had been secretly working on.

Horizon FW is different as they kept their mouths shut all summer last year when they could had come clean from the get go. Spiderman MM and Sack Boy were the same.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think most games from Sony, Microsoft, EA, Activision, Take 2, Ubisoft, many other big publishers and indies will continue being crossgen until 2023, and that we'll still see some crossgen games in 2024 and maybe a few in 2025.

Games take longer time to be developed than in previous generations, on top of that many games originally planned to be released in 2021, 2022 or 2023 got delayed many months due to covid and PS4 still has an insane amount of monthly active players from people who didn't migrate to PS5, and due to the lack of chips/available consoles in ths shops, post covid financial crysis and the console being expensive a ton of people will need years to be able to go next gen.

So obviously since publishers and devs aren't dumb they won't avoid releasing their games on the previous generation, specially when many of these games started to be developed for the previous generation because when they started them they didn't have next gen devkits, so even less game engines capable to take advantage of the new stuff. In fact in many of these cases they didn't even know the tech specs of the next gen consolesand couldn't predict it because that technology didn't exist back then even in top tier PCs.

Last edited:

An example again

Stop the BS. Everyone was deceived to believe it was a PS5 exclusive. I know because I said multiple times Miles Morales waa a PS4 game and everyone jumped at me.

For.me.it was obviously a PS4 game, it looked exactly like spiderman with a reskin. But most of.the people were saying it looked amazing and so next gen that it wouldn't be possible on a PS4 lmao.

They did the same with Resident Evil VIII, Horizon and God of War.

It wouldn't make sense that Spiderman 2 is crossgen, specially since it would.be releasing 3 full years after PS5's launch. But you never.know how and when is Sony going to try to deceive you again.

Three

Titanfall was announced for Xbox One, 360 and PC at E3. Gamers know it is cross gen.

Also, the 360 version was delayed a month too. So how is the cross gen 360 version going to land on the same day?

As for Psychonauts 2, the same thing. The game had already been promoted to gamers as mutli platform from the start. It's not like they are promoting Series S/X only and then 3 months later they announced other platforms they had been secretly working on.

Horizon FW is different as they kept their mouths shut all summer last year when they could had come clean from the get go. Spiderman MM and Sack Boy were the same.

And Psychonauts 2 that was released on xbox one on the same day as series X/s?

Also at the MS E3 conference they specifically said "shipping exclusively on xbox"

They had only xbox one plastered everywhere on the vid.
You had to find out that "exclusively on xbox" meant xbox 360, xbox one and PC from somewhere else. Is this lying by omission too?

Three

Stop the BS. Everyone was deceived to believe it was a PS5 exclusive. I know because I said multiple times Miles Morales waa a PS4 game and everyone jumped at
Did some people think it was PS5 exclusive? Sure I can believe that. Was it "announced as PS5 exclusive" ? No, just stop with your own bullshit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think most games from Sony, Microsoft, EA, Activision, Take 2, Ubisoft, many other big publishers and indies will continue being crossgen until 2023, and that we'll still see some crossgen games in 2024 and maybe a few in 2025.

Games take longer time to be developed than in previous generations, on top of that many games originally planned to be released in 2021, 2022 or 2023 got delayed many months due to covid and PS4 still has an insane amount of monthly active players from people who didn't migrate to PS5, and due to the lack of chips/available consoles in ths shops, post covid financial crysis and the console being expensive a ton of people will need years to be able to go next gen.

So obviously since publishers and devs aren't dumb they won't avoid releasing their games on the previous generation, specially when many of these games started to be developed for the previous generation because when they started them they didn't have next gen devkits, so even less game engines capable to take advantage of the new stuff. In fact in many of these cases they didn't even know the tech specs of the next gen consolesand couldn't predict it because that technology didn't exist back then even in top tier PCs.
I agree.

The more BC consoles become the longer the cross gen.

Old consoles were different. Totally different architecture. Some were CD based, some DVD and BR based, some systems had HDD, some didnt, SOme had internal storage but hardly anything (ie my 360 20gb Pro system).

Pretty hard to do cross gen games when it's a total mish mash of systems from one gen to another.

But the Xbox One/PS4 gen to now is different. We all got decent storage, digital downloads are acceptable, all play BR disks, system architecture is pretty close (x86 based), and most importantly a lot of gamers dont want to lose their digital files. Just like a PC gamer doesn't want their Steam hoard to somehow be instantly obsolete if a new Windows OS comes out.

Old gens there were either zero digital downloads, or people had some small amounts of download games (360/PS3). Most purchases were disks and traded back so at any point of time many gamers (like me) probably didn't have a lot of games on them they cared about transitioning over. So a clean cut off isnt much of any issue. But now, I don't want a clean cut off making my digital purchases all DOA. Support them for a while.

And with that support, devs will make more cross gen games as some people dont want to give up their old systems just yet. Too many digital purchases and backlog of games to give up.

MagnesG

Banned
Always love the backtracking of PS fans, I thought you worship your graphics so much you wanna ditch your PS4?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And Psychonauts 2 that was released on xbox one on the same day as series X/s?

Also at the MS E3 conference they specifically said "shipping exclusively on xbox"

They had only xbox one plastered everywhere on the vid.
You had to find out that "exclusively on xbox" meant xbox 360, xbox one and PC from somewhere else. Is this lying by omission too?

Not sure why you are defending Sony's 3 months of silence about Horizon FW.

The GAF link below detailing the info was even before E3 2013 happened.

Last edited:

yurinka

I agree.

The more BC consoles become the longer the cross gen.

Old consoles were different. Totally different architecture. Some were CD based, some DVD and BR based, some systems had HDD, some didnt, SOme had internal storage but hardly anything (ie my 360 20gb Pro system).

Pretty hard to do cross gen games when it's a total mish mash of systems from one gen to another.

But the Xbox One/PS4 gen to now is different. We all got decent storage, digital downloads are acceptable, all play BR disks, system architecture is pretty close (x86 based), and most importantly a lot of gamers dont want to lose their digital files. Just like a PC gamer doesn't want their Steam hoard to somehow be instantly obsolete if a new Windows OS comes out.

Old gens there were either zero digital downloads, or people had some small amounts of download games (360/PS3). Most purchases were disks and traded back so at any point of time many gamers (like me) probably didn't have a lot of games on them they cared about transitioning over. So a clean cut off isnt much of any issue. But now, I don't want a clean cut off making my digital purchases all DOA. Support them for a while.

And with that support, devs will make more cross gen games as some people dont want to give up their old systems just yet. Too many digital purchases and backlog of games to give up.
Yep. Now to make crossgen games is way cheaper for devs. And since there is BC and in many cases a free upgrade or you can upgrade paying a small fee without having to pay the full game again, which is what happened in previous generations with the non cross-buy games (that were most of them), now players are less worried about waiting to get the new console. They get the game for their current console, no need to wait.

I assume this helps the devs in these intergenerational periods/first years of the generation, that were a pain in the ass regarding sales.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yep. Now to make crossgen games is way cheaper for devs. And since there is BC and in many cases a free upgrade or you can upgrade paying a small fee without having to pay the full game again, which is what happened in previous generations with the non cross-buy games (that were most of them), now players are less worried about waiting to get the new console. They get the game for their current console, no need to wait.

I assume this helps the devs in these intergenerational periods/first years of the generation, that were a pain in the ass regarding sales.
And with big BC games allowed across systems, it helps keep the ecosystem of MTX going from a gamer.

What makes more mtx money for devs?

1. A hard cut off where gamers trade in their old system and give up their old games, then buy new games, and new mtx rolls in only from the new games?

2. Allow gamers cross gen for a while allowing old and new games to continue mtx opportunities because a lot of gamers (like me) play older games too. I dont do mtx, but considering how big the mtx pot is, there's millions of gamers paying mtx playing old games

Last edited:

Three

Not sure why you are defending Sony's 3 months of silence about Horizon FW.
I'm not defending 3 months of silence. Sony never addressed positive or negative news during that period. Most of it was noise and if anyone cared they could have chased up.

I'm saying that the game was never 'announced as a PS5 exclusive', ever. Any assumption that it was exclusive because they had PS5 hashtags and coming to ps5 in a tweet on the day of the PS5 reveal is just assumptions though because having hashtags like that is normal.

Kagey K

Banned
I'm not defending 3 months of silence. Sony never addressed positive or negative news during that period. Most of it was noise and if anyone cared they could have chased up.

I'm saying that the game was never 'announced as a PS5 exclusive', ever. Any assumption that it was exclusive because they had PS5 hashtags and coming to ps5 in a tweet on the day of the PS5 reveal is just assumptions though because having hashtags like that is normal.
That’s bullshit and you know it. They let MS eat all the bad press, while quietly hiding that they were going to be doing the same thing.

Its no wonder they think they can do what they want, when so many are willing to defend them, in order to try to “change the narrative”

Its fun to watch attitudes change from MS announcement to now though.

It really gives some insight into how others think.

Last edited:

yurinka

And with big BC games allowed across systems, it helps keep the ecosystem of MTX going from a gamer.
Yes.

What makes more mtx money for devs?
For 99.99% of the devs, to sell their games. MTX are only the top revenue source for some of the few top paid GaaS games and obviously F2P games, that globally generate more than half of the gaming revenue (specially from mobile and PC) but in console still aren't too huge.

1. A hard cut off where gamers trade in their old system and give up their old games, then buy new games, and new mtx rolls in only from the new games?

2. Allow gamers cross gen for a while allowing old and new games to continue mtx opportunities because a lot of gamers (like me) play older games too. I dont do mtx, but considering how big the mtx pot is, there's millions of gamers paying mtx playing old games
Out of these two options for a game with mtx obviously 2.

Nope. As a matter of fact, I think cross generation games might never end as long as they are selling it or they will at least be around for several years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom