• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will R&C: Rift Apart PC need a SSD to run? PLACE YOUR BETS

What will be the minimum requirement?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guilty_AI

EoPvyMlXIAE6Rsx.jpg

The port is coming. The doubts will be laid to rest. Is this game truly a shining example of next-gen gaming, of the heralded SSD centric design? Or was Jon Burton right all along, the corridors a mere reflection of our own phantoms?
We shall know in two months time, perhaps even earlier. You have 7 weeks to make up your minds.

CRITERIA:
>The game must run with no meaningful loading screens nor severe stutters between portals. Assets must also be loaded quickly, with minimum pop-ins or none at all.
>Graphics settings are irrelevant, so are other hardware components. If this can run off a HDD with none of the previously mentioned issues, even if it requires 64gb of ram, an i9 and all on the lowest of settings, it'll already count as a win for the HDD. After all, the effect of the SSD on game design was always the main topic of these conversations.
>Modded lower than low settings don't count. It must be the low settings determined by the developer, aka something they deemed an acceptable experience. On the other hand, if someone makes a mod that miraculously optimizes everything with no noticiable visual fidelity loss, thats acceptable to take into consideration.
>Wait for patches.

WHAT IS ON THE LINE:
>Uh, i don't know. Bragging rights for having been correct? I don't really care about that, just wanna have some fun. Feel free to bet amongst yourselves tho.

HTK

Banned
It won't be seamless, devs probably will put some tricks for loading in those moments if they made it run on traditional HDDs. For SSD's probably no difference between PC and PS5.

Zathalus

For those criteria I think a Nvme is going to be enough. But if the game is not using DirectStorage or some other way of dealing with the loading required then the CPU requirements (for decompression) might be quite high. Curious to see how it will be handled.

winjer

Gold Member
This game would be a perfect candidate to use Direct Storage.
Sadly, it seems it won't, considering the trailer bragged about having lot's of tech, but nothing about DS.

BTW, for transferring large amounts of data out of storage, with the old Windows file system, the bottleneck will be the CPU. Not the SSD.
So the question is on which CPU will be required.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
HDD if they want more sales. Whoever only owns a HDD in 2023 doesn't care about a loading screen.

Last edited:

mrMUR_96

Tbh I think it'll run fine on most SSDs, maybe a bit of stutter on slower drives. Hopefully it's a good port overall, looks and runs amazing on ps5

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

EoPvyMlXIAE6Rsx.jpg

The port is coming. The doubts will be laid to rest. Is this game truly a shining example of next-gen gaming, of the heralded SSD centric design? Or was Jon Burton right all along, the corridors a mere reflection of our own phantoms?
We shall know in two months time, perhaps even earlier. You have 7 weeks to make up your minds.

CRITERIA:
>The game must run with no meaningful loading screens nor severe stutters between portals. Assets must also be loaded quickly, with minimum pop-ins or none at all.
>Graphics settings are irrelevant, so are other hardware components. If this can run off a HDD with none of the previously mentioned issues, even if it requires 64gb of ram, an i9 and all on the lowest of settings, it'll already count as a win for the HDD. After all, the effect of the SSD on game design was always the main topic of these conversations.
>Modded lower than low settings don't count. It must be the low settings determined by the developer, aka something they deemed an acceptable experience. On the other hand, if someone makes a mod that miraculously optimizes everything with no noticiable visual fidelity loss, thats acceptable to take into consideration.
>Wait for patches.

WHAT IS ON THE LINE:
>Uh, i don't know. Bragging rights for having been correct? I don't really care about that, just wanna have some fun. Feel free to bet amongst yourselves tho.
Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

Quantum253

Maybe it will be both. Standard disks will work but lack the ability to access higher performance/visual modes while M.2 later-gen disks that meet the requirement can access?

I just find this asterisk mention interesting

*Compatible PC and hardware required for enhanced graphics.

Source:

Last edited:

Skifi28

Is it going to need an SSD to run? Probably not. To run well? I imagine so. It was also mentioned above, but cpu usage is probably going to be the most interesting aspect of the port.

SNG32

If Miles Morales runs well on your machine I can’t see how this wouldn’t.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Is it going to need an SSD to run? Probably not. To run well? I imagine so. It was also mentioned above, but cpu usage is probably going to be the most interesting aspect of the port.
But if this can run on a SATA SSD without issue, i don't see CPU usage being too high (at least for decompression, could still be high for other reasons)

ergem

It needs LARGE RAM to compensate. PC can compensate by putting the next 30 seconds of the game already in the Ram. Rift Apart does not have unpredictable cold storage access.

With large ram, sata ssd would be enough.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It needs LARGE RAM to compensate. PC can compensate by putting the next 30 seconds of the game already in the RAM.
Its possible, but we'd need to know if:
A. It already does that on the ps5
B. Nixxes will implement a solution such a solution for PC if it doesn't.

Ivan

Even if it doesn't need an ssd, it would be a completely different solution, like loading more into RAM in advance. People are really trying too hard to make fun of PS5 SSD story, but unfortunately, it's just embarrassing way too often. And Rift Apart is the first game, first example of using it. Just imagine what could be done in the future and people are still trying to "debunk sony's ssd magic". Wait a little further into generation and try using games truly built around that on pcs without ssds or with some slow ones.

Even if noone uses ps5 ssd advantage, making fun of it makes no sense, since it is the perfect solution the rest of the industry should copy, especially on pc side.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If it uses NOT dumb comp/decomp itll work fine even on HDD.
If not optimized itll pound lower CPUs attached to SATA SSD.

So my vote is HDD cuz after Spider-Man im sure insomniac hav smart comp/decomp.

MiguelItUp

You know the PC spec requirements?
I was referring to the bottom text, as I'd assume if something were a necessity, it'd surely be mentioned already...

PC Features​

• Blast your way through an interdimensional adventure as Ratchet and Clank make their way to PC for the very first time!
  • Wrap your eyes around delightful, diverse dimensions, with ultra-wide support for 21:9, 32:9, and 48:9 (triple monitor support) resolutions!*
  • See the omniverse brought to life with the option of unlocked frame rates! You can also enjoy ray-traced reflections, as well as newly added, ray-traced shadows for exteriors.**
  • Witness the very latest, performance-enhancing upscaling technologies for yourself, including NVIDIA DLSS 3, AMD FSR 2, Intel XeSS and Insomniac Games’ Temporal Injection. NVIDIA Reflex and image quality-enhancing NVIDIA DLAA are also supported.
  • Choose from a wide variety of graphics quality options to tailor to a wide range of devices, all the way from high-end PCs to portable PC gaming devices.
  • Play with the DualSense™ controller to experience haptic feedback and dynamic trigger effects.*** Or choose mouse and keyboard – with a wide range of control customization options.
  • Includes support for achievements and cloud saves on PC game launchers.

* Compatible PC and display device required.
** Compatible PC and graphics card required for enhanced graphics.
*** Wired connection required to experience the full range of in-game controller features.

Last edited:

Baki

EoPvyMlXIAE6Rsx.jpg

CRITERIA:
>Wait for patches.

WHAT IS ON THE LINE:
System ram is a good alternative to SSD.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Does it matter to you or to the person who wants to make a smart remark about the PS5 or its nvme implementation?

My concern is that it won't require one. I just want a good port. It's a great game.

I can’t see why it wouldn’t run on a traditional HDD. The rift transitions will likely last longer and initial load times will of course be longer. Part of the appeal I guess is that moving through rifts is pretty fast on PS5.

Banned
I have my original PS4 Pro HDD in a USB enclosure connected to my PC for some additional storage for older games...

and I'm not sure if I'll get this on launch, but if I ever get that PC version I'll try it on that PS4 HDD 😁

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm trying to figure out if this talk about HDD is just sarcasm or what? Anyways like other smart ones have mentioned, CPU requirement will be tho focus.

Also, NeoGAF member had already ran tests on this.

The cool thing about PS5 supporting regular NVMe drives is that they all track how much data has been read from the disk. So, we can simply check that by plugging it into a PC. It looks like this.

Those dimensional jumps in R&C read ~500MB from disk each time. This would take up to 10 seconds from an HDD and it would be dreadful.

Banned

because I have a working brain and don't fall for PR crap :D something rare these days.

dynamic data streaming is normal, why would it only start loading once your literally hit that portal transition, instead of loading beforehand? especially when these transitions are only happening during scripted setpiece sequences. ;)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
because I have a working brain and don't fall for OR crap:D something rare these days.

dynamic data streaming is normal, why would it only start loading once your literally hit that portal transition, instead of loading beforehand? especially when these transitions are only happening during scripted setpiece sequences. ;)
What PR crap? The PR said it was not possible on the PS4, and they are correct.

It uses a 500MB burst. In less than a second. Think about what an HDD will have to do to get that 500MB when near a portal and what it will have to do when you decide to not take the portal and back away. Think man, think.

Last edited:

sendit

it loads 500mb, but we don't know when it starts loading that.
it could be starting to load once you're near one of those portals and only needs to load a smaller amount once entered.

I'm betting it starts loading as you near the portal. Additionally, the levels are fairly linear to include what the next portal will be. I would be more impressed if this was a player decision to what level/world you want to land on.

Top Bottom