• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will R&C: Rift Apart PC need a SSD to run? PLACE YOUR BETS

What will be the minimum requirement?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm more or less surprised that some people think that the devs care or even think of what some forum dwelling folks have to say to what? Catch then in some huge scandal or contradiction?

What IG thinks is that more people will get to enjoy their game and that s competent studio is doing thr port job.

I hope it actually takes advantage of nvme's.

Guilty_AI

I disagree. To me, game design is everything that goes into designing a game. Your engine, systems, mechanic...etc.
Theres no agreeing or disagreeing here, not to you, me or anyone, this is not an opinion. Game design is what it is, the end.

And furthermore, I feel things like these are just glorified witch hunts. When these devs take, that stuff we refer to as PR talk... they aren't actually dying. They just aren't being very specific either.

So if a dev says, this would not have been possible without the SSD on the PS5.. what does that really mean? You find it starts making sense if what you are comparing it to is the PS4. Wou the PS4, with 5GB RAM and an HDD allowed them to design or make a game like this? No.

I am curious to see the results of this tho.
Personally i don't even care what the devs said, i know a lot of this stuff is worded vaguely on purpose, just the right way so they never really 'lie' about anything.

I'm more interested on the other side. There were no end to the discussions amongst users on whether this game really needed an SSD or could've been achieved perfectly in other ways, no secret sauce needed. Some still held it until a week ago as one of the "truly next-gen games", some even claimed it was only possible on ps5 hardware and would need ultra spec-ed PCs to match it.
Now all of that speculation will be put to test.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It will work off any storage. You may get a slight pause in the rail run transitions on mechanical hdds because those sequences are timed to load at a certain rate. But everything else is basically preloaded in ram.

Mr.Phoenix

Theres no agreeing or disagreeing here, not to you, me or anyone, this is not an opinion. Game design is what it is, the end.
Ok.. indulge me, dos software design dictate what or how your game is designed?

Eg, you say the game design has to do with stuff like the mechanics of how the portal works.

I say game design includes everything, not just how that portal works, but what they have to do in the engineer how they interface with the hardware to make that feat possible.

Eg... what of is for this game to work on the PC, you don't need a SSD, but instead CPU with at least 16GB of RAM. And they change the software design as you put it, to allow for this change whereas that is something that on the PS5 was designed differently?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Insomniac developer back when PS5 released firmware support for off the shelf ssd. Lower spec drives ran up to 15% slower, and that was still with PS5 decompression and other i/o hardware.

Guilty_AI

Ok.. indulge me, dos software design dictate what or how your game is designed?

Eg, you say the game design has to do with stuff like the mechanics of how the portal works.

I say game design includes everything, not just how that portal works, but what they have to do in the engineer how they interface with the hardware to make that feat possible.

Eg... what of is for this game to work on the PC, you don't need a SSD, but instead CPU with at least 16GB of RAM. And they change the software design as you put it, to allow for this change whereas that is something that on the PS5 was designed differently?
It doesn't matter whether the dev chooses to let the software or hardware dictate the game rules, or has no choice but to

Game design refer to the rules and systems of the game, thats it. The kind of paper the board is made of doesn't matter if the rules don't change.

A designer decided to put a looming fog that blocks the vision of the player. If he did that out of a purely aesthetic sense or because the hardware couldn't render more than a few feet ahead doesn't matter. Its still the same game design.

The only situation i can think of where software could dictate the game design is on technicallities, oversights most of the time. Like whether pressing 'forward' and 'left' is programmed to just add the two speeds, or movement speed of the character towards a certain direction will always be the same.

Last edited:

Bry0

f36be3238b080f7285f5c9e69dbe6f4d44718ae0.jpg

BAHAHAHAHAHA

winjer

Gold Member
Sony ports usually suck at launch. But it was ported by nixxes, so it might be all right.
Fortunately it wasn't done by Iron Galaxy, so there is hope.

8GB and SSD only recommended. 720p is low as fuck of course, but still, they tried to make it compatible to almost everything half recent.
Would have expected some "*more RAM required if HDD is used" or something, with much more preloading.
Will be interesting how they mask longer loading times.

omegasc

I'll just put in in a RAM drive.

edit: it will be insteresting to see how the transitions perform on an HDD, even more on that minimum config.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Recommended but not required.

Gonna be interesting seeing this benchmarked on 5400 RPM drives.

Mr Moose

min spec is barely above PS4, and it's PC so there's overhead to take into account which the PS4 wouldn't have to deal with.

HDD also works.

the GTX960 also has less available VRAM than the PS4
CPUs are much better than the shit that comes with a PS4 though, right? And this is at 720p 30, very low.
We'll have to see how it actually runs as well with a HDD.
Edit: Why is the AMD GPU much better than the Nvidia one?

Last edited:

Banned
CPUs are much better than the shit that comes with a PS4 though, right? And this is at 720p 30, very low.
We'll have to see how it actually runs as well with a HDD.

I mean sure, but that has been the case literally since the PS4 came out. the minimum PC specs for CPUs were always lightyears ahead of consoles even tho the consoles ran the games just fine.

GPU min specs are also usually higher than what the consoles had.

and this is on PC where less hardware tailored work is being done.

Gaiff

min spec is barely above PS4, and it's PC so there's overhead to take into account which the PS4 wouldn't have to deal with.

HDD also works.

the GTX960 also has less available VRAM than the PS4
The i3-8100 shits all over the PS4's Jaguar. Furthermore, this is 720p/30 and might be a stutterfest. I'm sure it can at least run on a PS4 but does Sony want to deliver a shitty, blurry, and stuttery experience? Probably not.

Banned
The i3-8100 shits all over the PS4's Jaguar. Furthermore, this is 720p/30 and might be a stutterfest. I'm sure it can at least run on a PS4 but does Sony want to deliver a shitty, blurry, and stuttery experience? Probably not.

minimum CPU specs on PC aren't really indicative of how well it would run on a PS4.
many PC versions have minimum CPU requirements that are far above the Jaguar CPUs inside the consoles.

anything intel gen 6 and up should easily shit all over them

Gaiff

minimum CPU specs on PC aren't really indicative of how well it would run on a PS4.
many PC versions have minimum CPU requirements that are far above the Jaguar CPUs inside the consoles.

anything intel gen 6 and up should easily shit all over them
Hence my point. The minimum CPU is far, far stronger than the Jaguar. You can't really use that as evidence that it could run on a PS4. For all we know, the PS4 would run into massive CPU bottlenecks that would keep it down to 15fps.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
RTX 3070 and a 150 dollar CPU for high, high raytracing at 1440p60 or 4K30?

Mate what?
Even if you have a 4K panel with DLSS this game should be super simple to run.

Curious to see the performance differences between 5400RPM, SATA SSD and NVMe SSD........I dont think theyll be a tangible difference between the SSDs cuz random read/write is what matters, but lets see if a 5400RPM can actually work.

Where are my other HDD voters?

VJOeRGx.png

qM81Lbm.png

Twas an easy vote.
I wanted to see the 22 who honestly thought NVMe was ever gonna be min-spec.

Banned
Hence my point. The minimum CPU is far, far stronger than the Jaguar. You can't really use that as evidence that it could run on a PS4. For all we know, the PS4 would run into massive CPU bottlenecks that would keep it down to 15fps.

I HIGHHHLY doubt that given how the engine was used last gen.

this is the same engine powering Spider-Man and Sunset Overdrive, which are open world games with way more NPCs on screen and bigger maps than Ratchet. so if anything, those should get into CPU issues way more easily.

if anything in the code would turn out to he a CPU hog I best it could be adjusted. it might be something simple as distant NPC animation rate that could be adjusted... or a reduced amount of bolts spawning in at any given time.

Last edited:

Banned
There may be some concessions made. DF video will be fun to see.

I have no reason to doubt insomniacs claims regarding how they built the PS5 version.

my bet is that instead of the typical 2sec to 3sec transitions, on an HDD you will get like 5sec to 6sec transitions... maybe 10sec on the worst HDDs out there.

and the level many used as evidence that only an SSD would work was always nonsense. one universe on that level is pretty barren, most of that stuff can be held in memory and/or loaded fast. not to mention reused assets in both universes.

Titanfall 2 had the timetravel level where there was also 2 variants of the same environment that could be switched between even faster than in Ratchet, and also at any given time, while in Ratchet it is only predetermined spots where you can do it, which gives the game an opportunity to pre-load the most important assets while you get close and gives the devs the chance to optimise that specific spot for a fast transition.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
RTX 3070 and a 150 dollar CPU for high, high raytracing at 1440p60 or 4K30?

Mate what?
Even if you have a 4K panel with DLSS this game should be super simple to run.

Curious to see the performance differences between 5400RPM, SATA SSD and NVMe SSD........I dont think theyll be a tangible difference between the SSDs cuz random read/write is what matters, but lets see if a 5400RPM can actually work.

qM81Lbm.png

Twas an easy vote.
I wanted to see the 22 who honestly thought NVMe was ever gonna be min-spec.
I meant to vote for SATA but I misclicked 🤦‍♂️

Anything can be ported with enough concessions doesn't mean it should for the sacrifice of framerate, ray-tracing, and IQ.
pretty much, given only the minimum mentions HDD I bet it’ll run like garbage but it will ‘run’

I figured they’d require a SSD to avoid people complaining about the performance on a HDD

Last edited:

Kings Field

Didnt they test this game on PS5 with a cheap SSD with lower than recommended write speeds and it ran flawlessly?

Edit: yes they did

Last edited:

Banned
Do you know more than us? even at 720p minimum specs it says ssd recommended. We don't know how well it plays on a hdd.

many modern games say SSD recommended.
in the end many who play modern games on an HDD have reported not having any major issues.

Top Bottom