• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Smith Banned from Attending Oscars Ceremony and Academy Events for 10 Years

Draugoth

Gold Member

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences convened a board meeting today to discuss further disciplinary actions against Will Smith, and concluded that the actor “shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards,” per a letter from Academy president David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson.

Smith replied soon after, and said, “I accept and respect the Academy’s decision.

See the full Academy statement below:

The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community who did incredible work this past year; however, those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage.

During our telecast, we did not adequately address the situation in the room. For this, we are sorry. This was an opportunity for us to set an example for our guests, viewers and our Academy family around the world, and we fell short — unprepared for the unprecedented.

Today, the Board of Governors convened a meeting to discuss how best to respond to Will Smith’s actions at the Oscars, in addition to accepting his resignation. The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.

We want to express our deep gratitude to Mr. Rock for maintaining his composure under extraordinary circumstances. We also want to thank our hosts, nominees, presenters and winners for their poise and grace during our telecast.

This action we are taking today in response to Will Smith’s behavior is a step toward a larger goal of protecting the safety of our performers and guests, and restoring trust in the Academy. We also hope this can begin a time of healing and restoration for all involved and impacted.

Thank you,

David Rubin and Dawn Hudson

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So... They're protecting everyone from Will.

Ok.

They could barely do that with John Wayne or what's his name that kissed Halle without her permission.

rs_560x314-151117125934-jazzy-jeff.gif

Bit harsh to be out thrown out of the Oscar house for 10 years.

The sad part is I've been in Smith's situation. I discovered my boyfriend had been fucking around on the side.

You have no idea how fast I went from, "Hey babe," to, "Get your fucking shit out of my house," the moment I found out.

You can break up with me like a fucking adult if you don't want to be with me anymore, cheating is unacceptable.

Quasicat

This is a slap on the wrist for Smith. He still gets to act, he just can’t receive any awards.
If he were an off duty police officer, fire fighter, or teacher and he slapped someone, he would lose his certification/license and would be unemployable in that field for the rest of his life. Never mind, he did this in front of 16 million people and nothing was done but a 10 year ban from receiving a golden trophy.

nush

Gold Member
He could attend virtually and use emojis 👏 🪨 🎁 😭

They already thought of that.

concluded that the actor “shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards,”

I'm at the point where the burden of proof is for the Pedowood star is to prove they're not a sexual devieant.

I'ts like "Bro, I know you want to fuck every 8 year old on the set, but you need to keep your shit in check.

Guess how some of Y'all want to teat kids.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The sad part is I've been in Smith's situation. I discovered my boyfriend had been fucking around on the side.

You have no idea how fast I went from, "Hey babe," to, "Get your fucking shit out of my house," the moment I found out.

You can break up with me like a fucking adult if you don't want to be with me anymore, cheating is unacceptable.

I'm sorry that happened. I know how that feels.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

People don't cheat because they want the relationship to end.

Saber

Gold Member
Harsh if you ask me. And I totally agree with the sentiment most have, but life teachs me that sometimes theres more behind than people let know.

Who knows who threw gasoline on Will Smith head to make him act like that(theres a say in my country: "don't poke a jaguar with a short stick"), which I find funny since the one who he did "stand up for" might be probably the cause and is free of any repercursion she may have caused.

Hes an adult, probably should act like one. But I don't have his entire life story book to know what make short fuse of it. And in the modern days, social crowd don't take that lightly.

Last edited:
Smacking someone in the face is a bit steep
What he did was an over reaction and wrong I won't dispute that, but let's not blow this out of proportion he slapped someone once and verbally abused them not beat them into a coma and curb stomp them lol.

Ten years is excessive in my opinion, something like a three year ban from all award ceremonys, a sincere apology to Chris Rock face to face and a million dollars donation to a charity of Chris Rocks choice.

Last edited:
Will's being put through the ringer. That slap is a result of a lot of stress, anxiety and fear. He's trying to please her in so many ways and not have her look down on him and fuck other dudes. Meanwhile Jada's getting everything she wants while taking Will for a ride. He needs to get out.
What do you wanna bet, that if he told her he wanted a divorce she'd claim abuse? Amber Heard proved people will believe women NO MATTER WHAT.

Top Bottom