• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Smith Resigns From Academy Over Chris Rock Oscars Slap Backlash

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Will Smith, facing possible expulsion or suspension after he assaulted Chris Rock during last Sunday’s Oscars telecast, has instead resigned from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. The move comes as the actor is embroiled in the gravest crisis of his career and as the organization behind the Academy Awards has struggled in its attempts to deal with the fallout from the altercation. In a statement, Smith called his actions “shocking, painful and inexcusable” and said that he will accept any additional consequences that the Academy’s Board of Governors deems appropriate.

Last edited:
1tJE.gif

Last edited:

Quasicat

So what are the repercussions for him quitting? Is he not allowed to be in movies anymore? Does he need to give back his Oscar?
If he were a teacher, he would lose his teaching license throughout the United States for the rest of his life.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Will smith had a few options at that time that’s why resistance is more valuable.

badblue

I support everything Will did
While that is a popular opinion, it goes in the face of a lot of us have been taught. I'm not supposed to smack someone because I don't like what they say, even to defend someone else because words are not physical violence. If all Will did is yell back after the bad joke, that should have been enough.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
While that is a popular opinion, it goes in the face of a lot of us have been taught. I'm not supposed to smack someone because I don't like what they say, even to defend someone else because words are not physical violence. If all Will did is yell back after the bad joke, that should have been enough.
The funny thing too regarding hitting or not hitting people, its not like Will and Jada are in a life or death situation defending themselves against a burglar who strolled into their bedroom at midnight. Its an awards show gala with Chris Rock telling a joke 40 ft away.

And Will Smith is 53 years old. Goes to show what a child's mentality he really has behind his Hollywood persona.

bender

What time is it?
  • Yes, he still gets to keep his Best Actor Oscar for “King Richard”
  • Yes, he can still get invited to future Academy Awards ceremonies
  • Yes, he can still be nominated for future consideration
  • No, he is no longer a voting member of the Academy
Seems like an empty gesture. As far as punishment is concerned, let Chris Rock be the arbiter.

I know everybody here will disagree with me but this is so overblown. This was such a nontroversy and not a big deal at all.

I like Chris Rock and Will Smith.

What Will Smith did was wrong. 100% agree with that. But he just slapped Chris Rock and everyone is just making this out to be a bigger deal than it actually should be.

Eh, but whatever.

Ezra Miller is still getting roles while he's out actually choking people.

What a fucking joke.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I know everybody here will disagree with me but this is so overblown. This was such a nontroversy and not a big deal at all.

What Will Smith did was wrong. 100% agree with that. But he just slapped Chris Rock and everyone is just making this out to be a bigger deal than it actually should be.

Eh, but whatever.

What a fucking joke.
Had to look into this Ezra Miller thing. Never heard of the person. I skipped all the way to the bottom part as I wanted to see what weird legal shit he was doing. Read the part about the Hawaii couple and got confused for a bit as it kept saying "they" as if there were two people or if the couple as being restrained against. Or maybe it was a typo.

Then read the part above about this person wanting to be classified using They pronouns.

How retarded. The guy seems to go ape shit in bars.

Last edited:

Ionian

Eh, but whatever.

What a fucking joke.

Physically assaulting some one at an awards ceremony.

"This was such a nontroversy and not a big deal at all"

Last edited:
Had to look into this Ezra Miller thing. Never heard of the person. I skipped all the way to the bottom part as I wanted to see what weird legal shit he was doing. Read the part about the Hawaii couple and got confused for a bit as it kept saying "they" as if there were two people or if the couple as being restrained against. Or maybe it was a typo.

Then read the part above about this person wanting to be classified using They pronouns.

How retarded.

I actually just found out about it myself.

Yeah he's The Flash.

But I just heard about his violent history from Clownfish TV.

This dude has serious issues. He gets in a bar fight and chokes women and yet he's still getting roles.

Physically assaulting some one at am awards ceremony.

"This was such a nontroversy and not a big deal at all"
Maybe you didn't see the part where I said Will Smith was wrong.

It was an open handed slap and there's worse things happening in Hollywood than that. And I've already given one example.

Again it was stupid and immature of Will Smith but not worthy of roasting the guy over.

Ionian

Maybe you didn't see the part where I said Will Smith was wrong.

It was an open handed slap and there's worse things happening in Hollywood than that. And I've already given one example.

Again it was stupid and immature of Will Smith but not worthy of roasting the guy over.
OK so you're saying it was OK?

He assaulted him.

How old are you?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I actually just found out about it myself.

Yeah he's The Flash.

But I just heard about his violent history from Clownfish TV.

This dude has serious issues. He gets in a bar fight and chokes women and yet he's still getting roles.
Guy has serious issues in bars. Even says he's been kicked out of them in Hawaii. No doubt a drunk.

sol_bad

Eh, but whatever.

What a fucking joke.

Nah, I agree 100% with you.
Although, the Ezra choking thing, the video is so short with zero context it's hard to care about that either.

DeviantBoi

He doesn’t give a fuck about being in the Academy of attending the Oscars.

So, in the end, he won’t suffer any consequences.

That’s why they should take back his Oscar.

NahaNago

"You can't fire me, I quit!"
pretty much this. The most that was going to happen as a form of punishment was that he would be banned from the oscars and so he resigns taking any real punishment they could have given him away.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Seems like a desperate attempt to save his oscar.
This is at best a token gesture. He isn't trying to save anything. Even if the academy was dumb enough to try to take his award from him it would be like the NCAA trying to take the Heisman trophy away from Reggie Bush. Everyone knows that Reggie Bush was the best player that year and therefore deserved the award. Everybody remembers Reggie Bush winning the award. The fact that the NCAA rescinded the award years down the line doesn't really affect anything. The same goes for this. The award does not just get magically passed on to the second in line because it was taken away from Will Smith. He won the award for best actor and that is that regardless of whether or not they tried to take it away from him.

And to be honest I would be absolutely gobsmacked if they actually did try to take it away from him considering some of the people who have gotten awards in the past and not have them taken away. Keep in mind this is the same organization that gave an award and a standing ovation to a pedophile. So I'm not exactly holding my breath for them to take away the award from Smith. The optics of them cracking down on this particular situation when they have ignored so many other much much worse situations is too much to contemplate.

Boss Mog

This is at best a token gesture. He isn't trying to save anything. Even if the academy was dumb enough to try to take his award from him it would be like the NCAA trying to take the Heisman trophy away from Reggie Bush. Everyone knows that Reggie Bush was the best player that year and therefore deserved the award. Everybody remembers Reggie Bush winning the award. The fact that the NCAA rescinded the award years down the line doesn't really affect anything. The same goes for this. The award does not just get magically passed on to the second in line because it was taken away from Will Smith. He won the award for best actor and that is that regardless of whether or not they tried to take it away from him.

And to be honest I would be absolutely gobsmacked if they actually did try to take it away from him considering some of the people who have gotten awards in the past and not have them taken away. Keep in mind this is the same organization that gave an award and a standing ovation to a pedophile. So I'm not exactly holding my breath for them to take away the award from Smith. The optics of them cracking down on this particular situation when they have ignored so many other much much worse situations is too much to contemplate.
I always expect them to start somewhere but I guess I'm expecting way too much out of that lot. Hollywood A-listers are some of the worst people on the planet afterall. The fact that they said they were horrified by what happened but gave Smith a standing ovation moments later tells you just how fake these people are. But yeah I guess if you give an oscar and standing ovation to a convicted pedophile like Polanski, there's no reason not to give one to Smith who's crime is far less egregious.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
He needs to stop having his agent type things on Twitter and handle the situation like a man.

The apology doesn’t mean crap. His reps typed it up and threw it online. Same with this. If I were Chris, I’d think it a completely empty gesture.

He keeps doing the bare minimum, in an effort to retain control of the situation, but it’s not working. This conversation is going to lead into next week lol.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned

Eh, but whatever.

What a fucking joke.
lol

You do realize this sets a precedent right?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
He doesn’t give a fuck about being in the Academy of attending the Oscars.

So, in the end, he won’t suffer any consequences.

That’s why they should take back his Oscar.

Then they should take back Weinstein's, Polanski's, Allen's and whole host of others!

Top Bottom