• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Starfield Get Delayed?

Will Starfield be released in the first half of 2023?

• Yes, of course.

Votes: 221 63.9%
  • No, of course.

Votes: 125 36.1%

• Total voters
I think the smart thing will be to delay it until November 23.

Can’t see them releasing this one month after Redfall. They need the game to review well so the extra few months development time will hopefully fix a lot of bugs. Plus they need a big game for the holidays and nothing is really bigger than a brand new exclusive Bethesda single player RPG.

Last edited:

Elios83

With even Forza getting a generic 2023 date and Redfall in May, let's say that it's very optimistic to think that this won't become their big holiday 2023 title.

Can’t see them releasing this one month after Redfall. They need the game to review well so the extra few months development time will hopefully fix a lot of bugs. Plus they need a big game for the holidays and nothing is really bigger than a brand new exclusive Bethesda single player RPG.

You delay it too much and word of mouth and hype around Spider-Man (assuming an October or November release) will swallow any of the press.

Look at what happened with Horizon Forbidden West and Elden Ring.

The game needs to come out likely by September and preferably by August.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned

I think Redfall's going to flop honestly

MMaRsu

Banned

Nobody is looking forward to that

Umbasaborne

Banned

That is absolutley what will happen. Dont know why people are still trying to convince themselves this will launch before june of this year. The first 6 months thing was marketing bullshit from microsoft

Draugoth

Gold Member
After Halo Infinite disaster Microsoft isnt taking chances. They will delay it if they have to.

Fable, Perfect Dark, Hellblade and Avowed are all probably in the same boat

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
You delay it too much and word of mouth and hype around Spider-Man (assuming an October or November release) will swallow any of the press.
Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

fermcr

I would love if they released it on the 1st half of 2013... but unfortunately I don't think so.
Microsoft just announced games for April, May and June 2023. I suspect Starfield and Forza will release 2nd half of 2023.

Define delayed, given the context. It doesn't have release date, beyond "first half of 2023". and even that seemed like at the time they weren't even really sure it was gonna be ready by then. if it's delayed past July 1 I would say technically, yes. But should we at all be surprised if it's an August or September release? No.

Topher

Gold Member
Define delayed, given the context. It doesn't have release date, beyond "first half of 2023". and even that seemed like at the time they weren't even really sure it was gonna be ready by then. if it's delayed past July 1 I would say technically, yes. But should we at all be surprised if it's an August or September release? No.

I don’t get why Microsoft didn’t say the game was delayed to 2023 rather than 1H 2023 in the first place.

I don’t get why Microsoft didn’t say the game was delayed to 2023 rather than 1H 2023 in the first place.
It softened the blow a little bit. Especially because at the time, I think a lot of us were thinking Spring. That's clearly off the table, now. They want to push Redfall hard as their big AAA for Spring.

I think whether Starfield is Summer or Fall really just comes down to if they have any other major titles that would be ready by holiday 2023. If not, then Starfield gets pushed back to September/ October.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
With even Forza getting a generic 2023 date and Redfall in May, let's say that it's very optimistic to think that this won't become their big holiday 2023 title.
I think it’s optimistic to think that this will be a 2023 game. Same with Forza, considering how release dates work these days.

And Redfall… I really hope MS isn’t putting too much stock in this, it does not look good.

Last edited:
That is absolutley what will happen. Dont know why people are still trying to convince themselves this will launch before june of this year. The first 6 months thing was marketing bullshit from microsoft
Yeah, it's highly unlikely this comes even by August. I'd guess sometime in September or October.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Damage control marketing. Their messaging at E3 last year was, “the games we show will be out within the next 12 months.”
Which in turn, was code for “games we have that are actually ready to be shown, but lets say next 12 months even though we know they actually need more than a full year delay”

Jaybe

I think it’s delayed anyways but they are also likely taking their time to see if Activision will close before committing. Starfield isn’t launching before June, and Diablo 4 is already scheduled for June. They won’t drop their two biggest games in one month (assuming the deal goes through).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The diplomatic answer: They were hoping to hit H1 but some unexpected problems and bugs must have delayed the game.

The bitter reality: If people assume that good stuff is right around the corner, they wouldn't unsubscribe. Xbox's revenue depends on it, which is why they did it (and have been doing it for some time now).

Which in turn, was code for “games we have that are actually ready to be shown, but lets say next 12 months even though we know they actually need more than a full year delay”

If they will wait for it to get ready, maybe it will never get released. Doubt even Todd Howard can tell you when it will be finished.

They are just waiting for it to hit good enough quality before they press release button.

Thats the type of game it is, unfortunately.

The diplomatic answer: They were hoping to hit H1 but some unexpected problems and bugs must have delayed the game.

The bitter reality: If people assume that good stuff is right around the corner, they wouldn't unsubscribe. Xbox's revenue depends on it, which is why they did it (and have been doing it for some time now).

LMAO, how does this even work.

I mean, I can unsubscribe right away if I wanted to cause I know it's not coming next month.

There must be something else for which I am still subscribing.

Elios83

Maybe they were thinking they could make it but it's also a form of damage control, the game is delayed but people think the wait is just a few months, the news is received better.
It also doesn't make the original release date sound like total bullshit.
In any case we'll find out in the next few months

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If I'm putting money down it's on August.
And Redfall… I really hope MS isn’t putting too much stock in this, it does not look good.
You're wrong. I mean no one is going to play it and MS shouldn't rely on it, but the game is gonna be great.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
They really need this game to be a huge hit, both commercially and critically.
I have thought about this too but I believe MS would be in a much better spot than CD Projekt to release a rough game. It is no secret that XBox has their share of influencers and are willing to spend for spin. Also, this will be limited to Xbox fans and the PC crowd from the start so they are already playing to their fans that want to believe in them. I do think it would hurt them to some degree but not as badly as it hurt Cyberpunk. I just hope we never have to test that theory and the game comes out banging. (do kids say banging these days? :))

There is no doubt in anyone's minds, except for maybe a handful of fanboys that Spider-Man 2 will be the biggest game of the year (not necessarily the best). It will be the game to have this holiday season. Not the best time to launch a new IP. Ironically the opposite was true for Elden Ring and Horizon, but the hype for Elden Ring was larger.

Kvally

Banned
There is no doubt in anyone's minds, except for maybe a handful of fanboys that Spider-Man 2 will be the biggest game of the year (not necessarily the best). It will be the game to have this holiday season. Not the best time to launch a new IP. Ironically the opposite was true for Elden Ring and Horizon, but the hype for Elden Ring was larger.
John Goodman Lol GIF by Roseanne

I think this and Forza will be their 1-2 punch to finish the year. One in mid September to early October, and the other one will launch like a week before black friday IMO.

ungalo

It's been obvious to me for some time now and it's starting to become obvious for Forza as well.

You can see the discourse is shifting from "you're dumb it's not going to be delayed" to "so what if it's delayed". It's the common loop.

Sorcerer

I can see that happening; hopefully not.
I think Bethesda, left to their own devices, would have certainly released the game a while back, in a buggy, unfinished state. Since MS has so much riding on this game, they slapped Bethesda's hands and said, no way, back to the dev kit boys and girls. So, there is hope it will be released in a reasonable state, not typical of Bethesda open world games. Microsoft is footing the bill for this, so it's plausible. If it's a mess after all the delays, it will be a very bad look for MS.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

I think Bethesda, left to their own devices would have certainly released the game a while back, in a buggy unfinished state. Since MS has so much riding on this game, they slapped Bethesda's hands and said, no way, back to the dev kit boys and girls. So, there is hope it will be released in a reasonable state, not typical of Bethesda open world games. Microsoft is footing the bill for this, so it's plausible. If it's a mess after all the delays, it will be a very bad look for MS.

Yeah, it might be and should be that way, I agree.

EDMIX

It probably will.

Spiderman 2 is going to moving fucking gangbusters and Sony is going to go wild with marketing. I think Starfield will do well and will have legs, but I think the marketing around Spiderman 2 if they both release in fall will drown it.

Top Bottom