• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will The Last of Us Remake and MLB The Show be cross gen?

Will TLOU remake and MLB The Show Be next gen only?

• TLOU Remake Only

Votes: 70 51.5%
  • MLB The Show Only

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • Both Will be Next gen

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • Neither will be Next gen

Votes: 36 26.5%

• Total voters

kyliethicc

TLoU2 PS5 only 30fps next gen graphics.
Looking at the Uncharted PS5 ports, nah. It'll be the same simple PS5 port for TLOU2 remastered.

Just gonna be same TLOU2 visuals as on PS4, with the same 3 modes the Uncharted Collection has - 4K30, 1440p60, and 1080p120.

Lupin25

MLB: The Show ‘22 and most of its future iterations will likely be cross-gen (as too all the other annual sports titles) until most of the last-gen user base transitions to current-gen.

How much resources are allocated to invest in next-gen versions and
when all depends on Sony. EA is obviously going all-in sooner and well prepared with their VFX pipeline for their sports franchises.

TLOU Remake would be PS5-only for obvious reasons, as there’s already a PS4 remaster. TLOU2 will probably be remastered to closely resemble the visuals of a PS5-only, TLOU remake.

What’s more likely to be cross-gen is the story-driven, standalone multiplayer game that was included with TLOU2 and originally intended as a Factions successor.

Either way, I could see them wanting this ready soon enough to promote the new series.

Last edited:

ManaByte

And before you mention EA, they have been third party, develop it Florida which did not face lockdowns or mandates like CA still is, and they still get accused of same old shit as well.

TBF Madden 22 did have Madden 21 logos on one of the stadiums still before they got called out and they patched it.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Both should be cross gen I would think to get the install base. Not sure why TLOU wouldn't be as it is likely a graphical update only even though they are calling it a remake. I suspect this is just a cash grab.

Last edited:
Looking at the Uncharted PS5 ports, nah. It'll be the same simple PS5 port for TLOU2 remastered.

Just gonna be same TLOU2 visuals as on PS4, with the same 3 modes the Uncharted Collection has - 4K30, 1440p60, and 1080p120.
The uncharted one were officially called remasters, not remake.

FrankWza

Bro, they only have 10 actual months to develop each title, the brunt of that development was during the COVID lockdowns. It was less to do with “lazy” and more to do with an already tight schedule marred by COVID combined with multiplat as well.

And before you mention EA, they have been third party, develop it Florida which did not face lockdowns or mandates like CA still is, and they still get accused of same old shit as well.
it was also the first time it was multiplat.
Based on recent results,
it appears that isn’t an easy task and requires work, even for 3rd party studios that have a history with multiplats. Still, I’d like to see a big upgrade this year. They bumped up gameplay last year but there’s still room to improve on next gen with the power they can utilize. And give me a 120fps mode.

Banned
TLOU will only be on PS5 because there wouldn't be as big of a difference for a remake if it was crossgen

the game was designed for the PS3 cpu.
it will literally make zero difference if it's next gen only or cross gen.

graphics scale easily up and down. there is no way a PS5 game that has a 60fps mode (which I bet it will have) can not run on a PS4 at half the framerate and reduced settings.
the only way that would be an issue is if they design the games lighting with only RayTracing in mind with no fallback option to baked lighting/traditional rasterized lighting. (like the RT only version of Metro)

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

graphics scale easily up and down. there is no way a PS5 game that has a 60fps mode (which I bet it will have) can not run on a PS4 at half the framerate and reduced settings.
the only way that would be an issue is if they design the games lighting with only RayTracing in mind with no fallback option to baked lighting/traditional rasterized lighting. (like the RT only version of Metro)
The compromises would likely be too big for the remake on PS4. I doubt Sony would do it, just like Demon Souls

KAL2006

Banned

Demon's Souls was designed for PS3 CPU it will literally make zero difference if it's next gen only or cross gen

Graphics scale easily up and down, there is no way Demon's Soils PS5 that has a 60fps mode can not run on a PS4 at half the framerate and reduced settings.

Three

MLB The Show probably isnt being announced due to the Player lockout, but TLOU factions or the remake skipping 2021 altogether gives me hope that it might be next gen only.

Jason Schreier who leaked the TLOU remake said the remake was for PS5.

All of this leads me to believe that TLOU remake might actually be next gen only.

MLB The Show is a different story. They added no real upgrades last year aside from 4k 60 fps. Even Fifa and NBA 2k devs were able to upgrade player models and hair, and they came out 6 months before MLB The Show.

Will MLB The Show get an upgrade this year? A next gen only version is probably wishful thinking but maybe the player models get a next gen boost like they did in fifa and NBA?

ebcd95c3aeba852809a62f54813b1ab474e817ac-1280x720.png

FIFA21-credit-EA@2000X1270.jpg

Hell, I would like them to at least achieve what they promised back in 2013 when they first revealed MLB the Show for the PS4.

TTEgmpC.gif

But they never got there 8 years later in MLB the Show 21.
VBxH7tB.jpg

This in 2021 simply isnt good enough.
I expect them both to be crossgen and maybe even release on PC. MLB is Sony's GaaS so there is no way they are going to drop PS4 and Last of Us is old enough to release on PC.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Wouldn't surprise me if TLOU remake is a cross-gen title.

People think that just because there's no TLOU Director's cut, that means the game was not successful. It's likely that ND was working on the Uncharted Collection and now they're going to finish the next-gen version of The Last of Us Part II.

I believe they saw Witcher 3's success rise after the Netflix show and they're expecting the same with The Last of Us Series.

I can see MLB The Show appearing on the PS4 and XB1 for the next several years since the game is going to appear on Switch, too. Current gen console shortages are going to last for a while, so I can see Sony releasing more cross-gen titles while releasing the games on PC within the next few months after it releases on PS5.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
TBF Madden 22 did have Madden 21 logos on one of the stadiums still before they got called out and they patched it.
This happens sometimes, especially with the past 2 years of shit the industries dealt with.

Reason being, and from time I spent at SDS for The Show, they start with a very stripped down source code. They can’t use a gold master of prior years and build on top (that would be modding), once locked down it’s done.

They have to go back to the source code (which can be a newer that the OG but a raw version) and start adding the systems back in (road to the show, DD, franchise, etc), then additions if there are any.

It’s tedious, so you will sometimes get placeholder art from the previous year before the new logos are added.

That is why when something like online franchise wasn’t in, it’s not that they intentionally removed it it’s that they didn’t have time to place it back in, and they have to pick and choose with the most popular modes with such a tight schedule during the COVID shit.

Hopefully this years will be more robust.

Last edited:
Even last-gen MLB was still cross-gen four years in. honestly don't see sports games needing to ditch old hardware anymore. They barely change anyway.

The remake is definitely next-gen only. If they're only working on this and factions at the moment then one of them needs to be their experimental gateway into the next-gen before they move full steam ahead with a new IP.

Last edited:

EDMIX

FFVII remaster and FFVII remake are very different games. One looks ancient and the other one looks very modern. FFVII is a PS1 game that many people asked to remake it during many years.

None of that matters.

Yet they both exist on the same system...

So what generation FFVII came out on is completely irrelevant. From what I see, no rule book exist for this, no exact thing exist, no guidelines and nothing ironclad like some standard.

We've see remakes 1 generation after a title came out ie RE2002 remake, we've see remakes 2 gens between, 3, none of it matters. So I get people want to find some way to make it make sense, nothing here has ever been a standard of when a remake comes out...

So coming out only on PS5 might have more to do with how many PS5's will be out by then and when that game is being made vs "ohhhh da remaster is on PS4 doe" I've never seen that matter in this situation, as in I've never heard a single publisher tell us a remake was being put on a different system solely cause a remaster was already done.

GTA series was remastered on PS4 and XONE and then remade poorly on the same platforms lol

So already having a remaster for better or worse, is not a thing that would then stop a remake during the same generation. Like you said, they are very different games, thus its irrelevant to them if its on the same platform during the same gen or something, they are not the same things in the first place.

Nobody asked for a TLOU remake.

Not a single person asked? my god, just stop man lol

The game moved over 20 plus million units, I have a hard time believing a remake is not in some demand.

Even Sony seems to acknowledge, because if what Jason said was true, the San Diego team pitched it as part of a bundle with the TLOU2 PS5 version, instead of pitching it to sell it independently.

No.

I don't see anything in that supporting no demand exist or Sony doens't believe people want it or something fucking weird like that. We all assumed here before lots of details on that rumor that a remake would happen and could be bundled with The Last Of Us 2 remaster based on simple logic.

We just saw Demon Souls a PS3 game remade, thus its logical to believe a more popular title like THE LAST OF US 1 FROM PS3 era would be remade too by Bluepoint

Sony doing a bunch of "directors cuts" makes it logical we might see that from The Last Of Us 2 and some bonus or different version that bundled them both as Uncharted has a collection, Spiderman MM has a version with the Spiderman 1 remaster, so this idea isn't even that wild or unheard of.

We guessed that shit on here before Jason ever put out that rumor lol

So I don't see anything that really supports some "instead of" i think its more likely you see them released separately and bundled as an option or something as its remake, not a remaster. If anything it would be The Last Of Us 2 bundled WITH The remake and not the other way around, but thats just semantics. lol Spiderman MM the NEW game was bundled with the old...

The rumor mentioned the remake as a PS5 only title.

Not debating that. I agree its likely only coming to PS5, but that has nothing to fucking do with a remaster being on PS4. I'm 99% sure Sony doesn't give a shit, it doesn't even make sense as you think Sony even fucking cares that they both would exist on the same system lol I think Sony cares more about using as much as the PS5 as they can and if its going to use a lot of The Last Of Us 2 assets, likely may not care about it being on PS4 if it means more money, GT7 for fuck sakes is coming to PS4.

So I agree its likely only going to be on PS5, but I would not be shocked if it came out on PS4 as I don't really know why people keep forcing their feelings into this. I like the series too, but....it coming to PS4 is irrelevant to a remaster already being on there, we've seen several times that is simply not an issue to publishers as if some law was broken and I don't get the logic behind making it sound like some rule at Sony. Nothing happening here has ever been some hard rule or ironclad idea that is 100%.

We might see it on PS5 only, we might see it cross gen. That likely has more to do with the engine, how many PS5's have sold and if Sony feels ok to start doing PS5 only titles again or something, i doubt a remaster being on PS4 is factoring to anything of this shit lol

Only the PS5 can handle the amount of retconned wokeness Druckman has planned for the TLOU Remake. I expect a 10 hour campaign as Abby’s dad where I’m made to have feels for his plight as a single father with flashbacks to his wife dying during a QTE childbirth scene delivering the aforementioned jacked heroine (who will also replace feature prominently on the cover occupying 95% of the real estate).
Oh boy…

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
MLB will be cross gen and cross plat again. MLB doesnt sell enough copies on its own to be next gen only.

LoU Remake might be PS5 only as PS4 already got a remaster, which Sony may consider close enough. Also, making it PS5 only gives the system a PR point for exclusive games.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just follow the money.

MLB will be cross gen to move the most amount of units and make the most money. TLOU already had a PS4 remaster.

It will be PS5 only and then they will do the same for TLOU II as well. Businesses want to sell you the same thing as many times as possible, it's a wet dream for them. At least Sony will do the remaster justice though and not like Grove Street Games.

So we will have bought TLOU and UC3 on PS3, PS4 and PS5. Uncharted LL and 4 on PS3, PS4 and PS5 with various revisions and paid for upgrades.

Same as things like FFVII and Control:UE as well.

Neff

Abandon the idea that generations represent an easy jump in impressive visuals. It hasn't been the case for a long time. A top-notch team working on last gen hardware with a massive budget and all the time in the world is going to produce a better looking game than a mediocre studio looking to rush a mediocre product out the door on current hardware.

TLoU2 is one of the best looking games you can play right now and it's a PS4 title. I wouldn't worry.

GymWolf

They just need to make tlou with tlou2 graphic on ps4 to make everyone happy, i see no reason for it to not being crossgen.

Bramble

My guess would be TLoU remake is cross gen, yes. It's a completely linear game that would look and play totally different when it's running on the same engine as Part II. PS4 can run it fine at 30fps 1440p, just like Part II. On PS5, the game will have an optional 120fps mode, like Uncharted 4, I guess. And improved models, draw distance, resolution and lighting, and most likely a ray tracing option.

I also assume there well be some sort of bundle perhaps, like they're doing with Uncharted.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
After seeing Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and Demon Souls, y'all don't wanna see what Naughty Dog can do with PS5's power and not just "enhanced" for PS5?? I'm confused

Confused Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

yurinka

We might see it on PS5 only, we might see it cross gen. That likely has more to do with the engine, how many PS5's have sold and if Sony feels ok to start doing PS5 only titles again or something, i doubt a remaster being on PS4 is factoring to anything of this shit lol
If Sony wants to make a TLOU 1+2 bundle in a Director's Cut both for PS4 and PS5, using the first one as extra content they added for the DSDC or GoTDC, they could just include there the remaster. If like in Spider-Man they include TLOU1 only in PS5 to incentive people to get a PS5 as they did with the Spider-Man remaster, they can make it with the remake.

They could even make a TLOU remaster+TLOU2 in PS4 and a TLOU remake+TLOU2 in PS5. But it's really hard to believe they would release a remaster and a remake of the same game on PS4. Nobody else did that before. The example you meniton of FFVII insn't the same, because what you call a FFVII remaster is basically a port of the FFVII PC version, which already was an outsourced poor port.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just follow the money.

MLB will be cross gen to move the most amount of units and make the most money. TLOU already had a PS4 remaster.

It will be PS5 only and then they will do the same for TLOU II as well. Businesses want to sell you the same thing as many times as possible, it's a wet dream for them. At least Sony will do the remaster justice though and not like Grove Street Games.

So we will have bought TLOU and UC3 on PS3, PS4 and PS5. Uncharted LL and 4 on PS3, PS4 and PS5 with various revisions and paid for upgrades.

Same as things like FFVII and Control:UE as well.
And every Nintendo game or Resident Evil 4 in existence. Oh and Pac-Man, etc.

Yes, I admit, I always buy OG Pac-Man every time it's on a new machine. Guilty pleasure.

Last edited:

sainraja

MLB The Show probably isnt being announced due to the Player lockout, but TLOU factions or the remake skipping 2021 altogether gives me hope that it might be next gen only.

Jason Schreier who leaked the TLOU remake said the remake was for PS5.

All of this leads me to believe that TLOU remake might actually be next gen only.

MLB The Show is a different story. They added no real upgrades last year aside from 4k 60 fps. Even Fifa and NBA 2k devs were able to upgrade player models and hair, and they came out 6 months before MLB The Show.

Will MLB The Show get an upgrade this year? A next gen only version is probably wishful thinking but maybe the player models get a next gen boost like they did in fifa and NBA?

ebcd95c3aeba852809a62f54813b1ab474e817ac-1280x720.png

FIFA21-credit-EA@2000X1270.jpg

Hell, I would like them to at least achieve what they promised back in 2013 when they first revealed MLB the Show for the PS4.

TTEgmpC.gif

But they never got there 8 years later in MLB the Show 21.
VBxH7tB.jpg

This in 2021 simply isnt good enough.
Are they releasing the Uncharted Remastered Collection on the PS4?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Cross gens are usually one and done during the first year, the games get to big to powerful for last gen consoles yes it hurts last gen console players but so many people are reaching out for new hardware.

EDMIX

they could just include there the remaster

They want to do a remake, they don't want to do a remaster.

Thats like saying some shit like "nobody asked for a Demon Souls remake" and or "they could just include there the remaster"

Stop...

Thats clearly not happening and they "could", but they could also close down as a business, stop gaming lol Just stop man, it doesn't even make sense as this point as sure, they've done remasters in the past, they've also done fucking remakes, so just cause they CAN do a remaster, doesn't really mean that is what will happen all the time.

Its like saying "nobody asked for a Shadow Of The Colouss remake" and then say" they could just include there the remaster" just like they did with Ico/SoTC collection...... but sir, they could also do a remake like they did with Demon Souls, like they did with SoTC, Medievil etc.

If like in Spider-Man

Yea that was also its FIRST remaster, its also not going to be a 10 year old game....

They could even make a TLOU remaster+TLOU2 in PS4 and a TLOU remake+TLOU2 in PS5. But it's really hard to believe they would release a remaster and a remake of the same game on PS4
I disagree. Hard to believe...maybe, but not unheard of. For all we know they do some bundle with The Last Of Us 1 remaster and The Last Of Us 2 on PS4. Then still do The Last Of Us 1 remake and The Last Of Us 2 remaster on PS5 only. All that could happen, but regardless I don't see a remaster stopping the remake and I don't see any evidence its even factoring into going on PS4 or not.
Nobody else did that before. The example you meniton of FFVII insn't the same,

Doesn't fucking matter, I don't even know why you are hung up on if they fucking called it a 'remaster" or not, none of that shit matters.

They put out a port, remaster, HD definitive, ultra GOTG version, HD edition, remix ultra extra BBW lolz annnnnnd still did a remake. I don't know why you think being called this or that changes what we are talking about as if Sony calling that shit "Ultra edition" and its remake, now means...its not a remake cause they sayz ultra lol

Just stop man lol

Square put out a version of FFVII that is better then the PS1 version aka NOT a 1.1 port....that is a remaster to the strongest definition as we can really come up with.

They also put out a remake.

During the same generation. To Square, none of that shit matters, they are a company looking ot make money and as a business owner myself, I fail to see why that would even matter. The damn rumor literally is stating it will run on The Last Of Us 2's engine, thus its logical on why it MIGHT exist on PS4. Sony doesn't give a shit that the remaster exist on PS4 or can be played on PS4 etc, its irrelevant. That was 2014, this is 2022. The system so happens to still be viable, I'd get why they might just do a cross gen thing maybe even more so with that title then the others like GT7 as the engine we are talking about ALREADY EXIST FOR PS4 for The Last Of Us 2.

So not only did the thing we are talking about happen once already, it happened twice with GTA Trilogy. I'm not going to debate names with you, I'm just telling you a port, remaster, HD version or some upgrade existing during a gen, the same gen as the actual remake isn't this far out concept that has NEVER been done. The publisher doesn't give a shit and I fail to see why they would. Its money.

1 is a remaster, HD port etc
1 is a remake. That is a situation where both can exist on the same hardware and you've yet to give any real logical business reason on why it wouldn't. Keep in mind, I don't even believe it will be on PS4 personally, I agree it will likely only be on PS5, but based on the timing, NOT based on The Last Of Us 1 remaster existing on PS4.

That didn't stop FFVII, that didn't stop the GTA stuff.

It's real. Jason Scheirer leaked it

Likely. We all believed this would happen even before that leak lol

A lot of us thought Bluepoint games would do it though lol If they'd do a remake of Demon Souls, the remake of The Last Of Us 1 is inevitable. That is more a factor of when then if at this point.

Top Bottom