• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Maximum Amount of VRAM Dedicated to Graphics on XSX and PS5 Increase the Amount Needed on PC?

How soon will games maximize their usage of 10GB of VRAM on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5?

• At launch with titles such as Assassin's Creed: Valhalla and Watch Dog: Legion

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • In 2021 with titles such as Horizon Forbidden West and Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • In 2022

Votes: 29 46.8%
  • I don't have any idea

Votes: 10 16.1%

• Total voters

diffusionx

Gold Member
Looks like 10GB won't be enough for 4K-Ultra in the upcoming Watchdogs: Legion.

Eh, it looks like they put the 11 because that’s what the 2080TI has. I really doubt the 3080 is going to struggle with that fugly game. Plus the 3080 has faster memory.

Its funny, with PC gaming I will troubleshoot a frame-pacing issue for literal hours and email devs and go on a million forums trying to fix it. I have played the Exo One: Prologue demo for 5 hours according to Steam and about 45-60 minutes of that was spent playing the game lol. The rest was trying to troubleshoot the usual Unity Engine stuttering/assy-vsync bullshit and thats how long it took me to give up on fixing it.

With consoles I really couldn't gaf about stuff like this, I just care about the end result, like how Uncharted: Lost Legacy looks for me right now. Sure there is a frame drop/stutter when you bomb down all the waterfalls (layering alpha ftw) in the jeep but who cares it looks fucking great and I wouldn't want it to be locked 30 instead of 28/29 fps but look like every other game to get there.

No offence meant to OP but I really don't care for some reason when it comes to consoles. Probably because the point is plug and play without hassle. I'll let the devs do their best and if something is too egregious then I'll not play it, but thats never happened and I've played Shadow of the Colossus on PS2. The gameplay/experience outshone the low fps. I'm guessing a TON of people still enjoyed AC: Unity on PS4 even though it ran at sub-15fps in certain crowds/missions at launch.

If you care about this stuff with console gaming then you are doing it wrong. What if there IS a problem with the HW? The devs are just fucked and will have to work around it for 7 years, you can't just swap out the parts like on PC.

So I don't really want to know the answer to this question tbh haha.

Ignorance-Is-Bliss-The-Matrix.gif

edit - I do understand that this is more about whether you should purchase it in the first place but general consumers don't want to have to delve into anything near this complicated to find out. So its irrelevant really if you are talking about a "budget" console like XSS.

So, you're saying you just have lower standards for games on consoles. Also that you don't care about performance because console are "plug and play."

I suppose that's convenievnt that you don't care, because, on consoles, if there is any problem with performance ( often ) there's literally nothing you can do about it.

Whatever floats your boat, but it reads more like you're trying to convince yourself.

Reallink

A 3080 is more than double the power of PS5. Even if 10GB is "enough" for console settings, no one buys a $2000 PC (which a 3080 system is) to run console settings. They spend that much to run ultra settings with mods and texture packs. 10GB will absolutely NOT be enough for that on next-gen exclusive games. I'm not even convinced it'll be enough for console settings, who have 14GB and 13GB of GDDR6 available to developers, which blows DDR4 system memory out of the water.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
A 3080 is more than double the power of PS5. Even if 10GB is "enough" for console settings, no one buys a $2000 PC (which a 3080 system is) to run console settings. They spend that much to run ultra settings with mods and texture packs. 10GB will absolutely NOT be enough for that on next-gen exclusive games. I'm not even convinced it'll be enough for console settings, the consoles have 14GB and 13GB of GDDR6 available to developers, which blows DDR4 system memory out of the water.

LOL @ the part in bold. Even I think that's pushing it.

Also, which console has 14GB of GDDR6 available to developers?

You can see the framerate was a bit better with a 32GB + 8GB system than 16GB + 8GB system... some 3-4 fps better.
FS is a terrible benchmark though as that thing basically runs on a single CPU thread. It basically chokes itself on pretty much any system no matter what kind of monster hardware you are using.
That´s why it barely scales with the GPU/RAM etc.

FS needs that DX12 multithreading update, then we can talk benchmarks.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
FS is a terrible benchmark though as that thing basically runs on a single CPU thread. It basically chokes itself on pretty much any system no matter what kind of monster hardware you are using.
That´s why it barely scales with the GPU/RAM etc.

FS needs that DX12 multithreading update, then we can talk benchmarks.
Actually it scales pretty well with GPU/RAM.... the point is to show it needs more RAM.

Top Bottom