• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the metaverse replace social media? Will it be better or worse?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The cost of entry into the meta verse is a VR headset compared to just using a screen on a computer or phone.

Untill the cost of entry is lower, I doubt the meta verse will overtake current social networks

I mean, a Quest 2 costs less than even a mid-range smartphone, and SIGNIFICANTLY less than a flagship one. But sure, people already have phones. And I think the bigger issue is having to strap your headset on etc just to get some social media bitching done, vs just pulling out your phone.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The only thing preventing the metaverse takeover is human beings passing legislation to stop it.

It's coming without a doubt. The only real question is when.

reinking

Gold Member
If you mean Facebook rebrands as Metabook, Roblox becomes Metablox and Game Pass is the new Meta Pass then sure, it will succeed. If you mean people are going to strap on VR goggles or glasses to troll places like GAF then unlikely. I can't strap a VR headset to my face while I am at work without it being noticed. Even with future tech, minus impants, there will be a barrier to entry that doesn't get much better than the phones we already carry around.

Pro tip:

Everytime VC-backed outfits try to shill to you the idea of what the “next big thing” is…

Expect them to be entirely wrong.

There are literally billions of dollars being poured into this manufactured vision of metaverse, all with the intent to convince you that you want it so that they can make trillions.

All the while, the boots on the ground are scrambling to build platforms that gain no traction, no scale and no signal that they are really going to take over the world.

We’ll know if and when Metaverse takes off because there will be a single dominating unicorn platform that comes out of nowhere and drives it, not a mad scramble patchwork of them, all toeing to a singular theology espoused by their capitalising overlords.

Oh and notice Roblox, Fortnite and Minecraft have been retro-actively co-opted into this banner as a means to try to legitimise the narrative. However the reality is these games are not already wildly successful because they are metaverse, they are wildly successful because they are online GaaS titles heavily orientated around UGC. Also there successes are largely at the plateau phase of their lifetime growth cycle and not early stage as these metaverse grifters will try to have you believe (most of these games have been around for nearly a decade or more).

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This shit is DOA some Cocksmoker saw Ready Player One a few too many times.

If it was predicted to be DOA then you wouldn't see the worlds biggest tech companies and governments investing so much money into it.

I'm not directing this at you, but I see a lot of people getting confused and think the Metaverse is something invented by Mark Zuckerberg. The metaverse isn't owned by anybody. Think of it as a new form of the internet and you're on the right track.

I can't say how successful it'll be, but recently JP Morgan predicted the metaverse will generate 1tn dollars in annual revenue for businesses spanning a cross-section of industries.

I should point out that I'm not absolutely convinced it'll take off. I need to see more data and get a better idea of applications before I'm convinced.

MilkyJoe

If it was predicted to be DOA then you wouldn't see the worlds biggest tech companies and governments investing so much money into it.

I'm not directing this at you, but I see a lot of people getting confused and think the Metaverse is something invented by Mark Zuckerberg. The metaverse isn't owned by anybody. Think of it as a new form of the internet and you're on the right track.

I can't say how successful it'll be, but recently JP Morgan predicted the metaverse will generate 1tn dollars in annual revenue for businesses spanning a cross-section of industries.

I should point out that I'm not absolutely convinced it'll take off. I need to see more data and get a better idea of applications before I'm convinced.

No one is coming home from work or school and sticking a VR helmet on for the rest of the day

Greirat

We already have the metaverse, it's called the internet. Adding goofy avatars and trying to turn the interface into an inconvenient real-world metaphor is a waste of time and money.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Imagine how next level annoying ads will be in vr 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
You're asking will the millions of young narcissists who seek validation in life through posting copious selfies of themselves will instead choose to spend their time in a VR videogame where their only representation is a cartoon avatar?....

And that is a serious question?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Like 10-15 years ago we all thought that stereoscopic 3D HDTVs, waggle controls, and Kinect were the future of entertainment.

GloveSlap

You're asking will the millions of young narcissists who seek validation in life through posting copious selfies of themselves will instead choose to spend their time in a VR videogame where their only representation is a cartoon avatar?....

And that is a serious question?
You took the words out of my mouth. No chance. Maybe in the far future where it looks photo real and the headset is tiny.

Top Bottom