• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the Wii U be a valuable collector's item in 15 years?

Hoddi

I don't think it will ever become expensive but I'll never get rid of my own Wii U. It's probably my favorite Nintendo system of them all and especially after modding it.

I think the big difference between older consoles and later ones is that emulation can make the new ones look better than they originally did. BotW running at 8k looks vastly better than the original at 720p which isn't the case when comparing SNES games on CRT vs. emulated on LCD. It's mainly the tablet that differentiates the Wii U and I'd feel very differently if we were talking about the Switch.

BigBooper

That Platinum Starfox game used it to the point porting it I'm sure would not be worth the money.
Krathoon Krathoon Mario Maker on Wii U was the best version of that game series because of the second screen. Lego City Undercover used it to display and control the open world map. Pikmin 3 was unique on it, but not necessarily better imo.

nush

Gold Member
Krathoon Krathoon Mario Maker on Wii U was the best version of that game series because of the second screen. Lego City Undercover used it to display and control the open world map. Pikmin 3 was unique on it, but not necessarily better imo.

Gamepad was a fantastic "Super Gameboy Advance"*.

*Provided you were in range of the base console

Alan Wake

I had (and it's still somewhere) the Wii U: this was a huge failure that is unlike Nintendo, or maybe not unlike the then Nintendo, because even the concept didn't work.

First, instead of making a brand new console they made a somewhat "sequel" to the Wii with the same design cues, controllers, and name, which is very unlike Nintendo.

Secondly, having a fat tablet controller that is poorly envisioned because the iPad just came up, without having picked-up the conceptual non-sense that is the fact that you can't look at two screens at the same time (and the ergonomics where horrible as well), is very unlike Nintendo and I'm pretty sure the people who came up with that were fired.

Thirdly, in terms of library strategy, this was nothing but the expansion of the milking of their franchises they had started on Wii and nothing more.
I kind of understand what they were going for. They thought, and Fils-Aime was open about it, that they could repeat the success of the Wii by just doing the same thing again: keep the Wii brand, have a small underpowered console a gimmicky controller, a packed in party game that used that controller. Because it worked the last time. What baffled me most was how Nintendo themselves apparently were unable to utilize that Gamepad better than they did. It's like Microsoft and its Kinect 2.0. It would be really interesting to read an interview with the executives about when they realized how bad it was and that the Wii U could not be saved. Was it already in the Fall of 2013?

fart town usa

Gold Member
aaaahhhh kids with no culture or taste whatsoever, they're the fresh eyes of mediocrity.
The library is comparable to GCN or something like the Dreamcast. Failure in sales doesn't mean the console itself is trash. It's the modding capabilities that will likely cause the system to increase in price as the years go by. You can effectively play the entire library of GCN, Wii, Wii U and various other retro consoles on a modded Wii U. All upscaled to 1080p.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
The library is comparable to GCN or something like the Dreamcast. Failure in sales doesn't mean the console itself is trash. It's the modding capabilities that will likely cause the system to increase in price as the years go by. You can effectively play the entire library of GCN, Wii, Wii U and various other retro consoles on a modded Wii U. All upscaled to 1080p.
Playing natively GC and Wii games is the main selling point for the WiiU nowadays. However, we should also consider that FPGA tech will become more and more accessible/powerful so who knows if it is possible to create a GC/Wii/WiiU core... For example, in my case, I don't see myself going back for an original SNES or even NeoGeo since I can pretty much run all games (very accurately) on a FPGA core. I still have my SNES and NeoGeo but they are in a box for quite a while now...

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Gamepad was a fantastic "Super Gameboy Advance"*.

*Provided you were in range of the base console
Yep. If I want to go back to Zero Mission, or Metroid Fusion I don't even have to take up an HDMI slot. You can plug the Wii U into a power outlet and just play on the gamepad. Pretty much the same as a Switch, but with better buttons and joysticks.

People really slept on the Wii U, but it was awesome at the time. VC library, MiiVerse, amazing first party content, backwards compatibility.

Last edited:

lachesis

Man.. 15 years sounds so short... and yet I'll be almost at the retirement age by then.
I don't think it will be anything so outrageously expensive (like over several thousands of dollars) - but I'm sure the price will be higher than right now.

But I'm keeping my Wii U for the enjoyment out of it - and once I'm done with playing all the backlogs, (if I ever do that is) - I think it will go into a long hybernation.
Being a slow paced gamer with so little time.. sucks. :(

yes. because eventually any nintendo thing will have some value. But so many of the Wii U's library has been ported now. The list of Wii u exclusives is small and redundant.

Notabueno

Banned
Dear, the library is nothing compared to the GCN, the GCN was an exceptional although short-lived library, there never was on any other platforms.

But the things about the modding capabilities is interesting, until you can do the same with the switch and then there's no much point, but it's worth considering under that angle indeed.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Dear, the library is nothing compared to the GCN, the GCN was an exceptional although short-lived library, there never was on any other platforms.

But the things about the modding capabilities is interesting, until you can do the same with the switch and then there's no much point, but it's worth considering under that angle indeed.
The library was enough to practically support Wii U and Switch. Multiple 10/10 games. Not sure what you're smoking. We're still getting games from Wii U, with Fatal Frame coming out real soon.

Krathoon

The Wii U will be valuable because you need that second screen.

I think the Wii will also be valuable because you can mod it to rip Gamecube and Wii games.

fart town usa

Gold Member

I mean this as politely and cordial as I can possibly be, please just quit the "Dear" stuff while you can. It's not going to do you any favors in the long run. There are people here who like the Wii U, we're all aware of the reasons people dislike that console.

To your point, I'm old enough to remember the Dreamcast when it released as well as the GCN. The Wii U software library is totally comparable when you take into account the big games that people bought the GCN and Dreamcast for. I'm old when it comes to video game message boards and I've been around for console releases as far back as the original NES.

DC - Sonic, Soul Calibur, RE: CV, Phantasy Star Online, Arcade Games
GCN - Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Metroid Prime, etc.
Wii U - Super Mario 3D World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Wind Waker HD, BOTW, Twilight Princess HD, Paper Mario, Zombi U, RE: Revelations, Mario Kart 8, etc. (and that's not counting the Wii U VC which has RE4, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime Trilogy, etc.)

They all have similar libraries in that they were limited compared to the competition but they also had some amazing titles that made the console worth owning. It's as simple as that.

Krathoon

Can you still shop for the Virtual Console on the Wii U? I know they shut the Wii shop down.

I bought a bunch of stuff before that happened.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
I mean this as politely and cordial as I can possibly be, please just quit the "Dear" stuff while you can. It's not going to do you any favors in the long run. There are people here who like the Wii U, we're all aware of the reasons people dislike that console.

To your point, I'm old enough to remember the Dreamcast when it released as well as the GCN. The Wii U software library is totally comparable when you take into account the big games that people bought the GCN and Dreamcast for. I'm old when it comes to video game message boards and I've been around for console releases as far back as the original NES.

DC - Sonic, Soul Calibur, RE: CV, Phantasy Star Online, Arcade Games
GCN - Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Metroid Prime, etc.
Wii U - Super Mario 3D World, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Wind Waker HD, BOTW, Twilight Princess HD, Paper Mario, Zombi U, RE: Revelations, Mario Kart 8, etc. (and that's not counting the Wii U VC which has RE4, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime Trilogy, etc.)

They all have similar libraries in that they were limited compared to the competition but they also had some amazing titles that made the console worth owning. It's as simple as that.

It's funny how people can't differentiate subjective "liking" or taste, with objective judgement and quality. I am not judging your taste or liking of the Wii U, since as far as taste go you can prefer the Jonas Brothers over Mozart or Aphex Twin, it doesn't change the fact that there's not debate on the first band being mediocre and irrelevant compared to the two other.

I was writing on and testing games back when the Dreamcast and GCN were released (despite being young back then), and we can play the library game easily on this one, comparing the GCN and Wii U:
The Gamecube launched with Waverace which was technically impressive back then in a way no Wii U games came close, the first Luigi's Mansion which looked like a Casper movie, the very first Super Monkey Ball, an exclusive Star Wars game (Rogue Leader) which ranks amongst the best SW games, exclusive Resident Evil games (0 and rebirth), one of the best Zelda that is the Wind Waker, the best and last F-Zero (GX/AX), the first Metroid Prime game, the last great Starfox (Adventure), the very first Pikmin game, the first Viewtiful Joe title alongside Suda51s Killer7 which were all part of Capcom 5, the very first Animal Crossing, Monolithsoft exclusive rpgs which were Baten Kaitos, an exclusive Final Fantasy (Crystal Chronicle), an exclusive Silicon Knight survival-horror that was Eternal Darkness, an exclusive Bloody Roar fighting game, a remake a Metal Gear Solid, an 3D open-world Mario (Sunshine), one of the best Super Smash that is Melee (probably second after Ultimate), exclusive Fromsoftware games (Lost Kingdom), the first modern Mario Kart: Double Dash game, the first and exclusive Naruto Clash of Ninja, and not even counting 1080°, Paper Mario, Mario Golf or Striker, Pokemon, Kirby, Wario, Konga etc...or Beach Spiker, PSO, Sonic since in fact the Gamecube inherited from the Dreamcast catalogue and more.

The GCN was also the very first console to be introduced at the MoMa and recognized as a relevant work of consumer design in it's era, as well as one of the best ergonomic controller ever (reason why people keep purchasing and using it besides nostalgia). The Wii U didn't impress anyone but also never had that crazy catalogue and exclusive partnership with all the big Japanese studio (plus Lucasart), which is something that was never seen then, and has never been seen since. But still I'm counting Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3,

I could gloss over the Dreamcast but it was so short-lived that...maybe it could be compared to the Wii U.
Otherwise there's absolutely, objectively, factually and contextually, for anyone who know anything about video game (and was around in it's context to judge) no comparison between the Gamecube and the Wii U. But sure, to each their own taste, just dont confuse it with your revisionist take on the video game history especially on pretty much wide consensuses like this one.

Notabueno

Banned
The library was enough to practically support Wii U and Switch. Multiple 10/10 games. Not sure what you're smoking. We're still getting games from Wii U, with Fatal Frame coming out real soon.
What you mean is you're a latecomer and don't know shit about video game history. It doesn't matter, as I made the effort of posting above ^ there's absolutely no comparison possible (mainly due to their respective context, it's was almost impossible for the Wii U to have as potent of library as the GCN, maybe the Switch can).

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Rettbone redeemed. She was playing the long game, and winning big.

$(KGrHqF,!ocFCreMbg(6BQs9eC8,j!~~60_57.JPG

fart town usa

Gold Member
What you mean is you're a latecomer and don't know shit about video game history. It doesn't matter, as I made the effort of posting above ^ there's absolutely no comparison possible (mainly due to their respective context, it's was almost impossible for the Wii U to have as potent of library as the GCN, maybe the Switch can).
Tom Cruise Laughing GIF by JustViral

lol, dude is going out of his way to be a complete dick to some of the nicest people on gaf.

Doing myself a favor and putting you on ignore.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Thays like expecting a team to win, even though they're behind by 40 points in the last quarter.

The Switch simply does not have the legs, technologically, to carry it another 2-3 years.

Notabueno

Banned
lol, dude is going out of his way to be a complete dick to some of the nicest people on gaf.

Doing myself a favor and putting you on ignore.

You're not resilient, common play the compare game, I'd like to know how the Wii U is defended, this is all self-serving maeutics.

Notabueno

Banned
Thats like expecting a team to win, even though they're behind by 40 points in the last quarter.

The Switch simply does not have the legs, technologically, to carry it another 2-3 years.

I would agree, but then Nintendo is on a completely different model (started with the Wii since we're on the topic), which is cheap, compact, underspec'd therefor easy to produce/port for.

Most people I know had doubts when the Switch released because of the underspecs, and then it had hardly expectable reasons for it to be a success (not really, rather it was analysts not being current on consumer and behaviorial zeitgeist)

In fact I'd say, it's the Wii all over again: instead of going head-to-head with competitors, they go against the current by betting on a simple concept, a cheap casual console, and a few franchises milking, but the result by the end of the Wii was that they actually sold marginally more than the PS360 and most importantly actually sold less softwares resulting in less revenues over the generation. That and the fact that by disinvesting franchise backlogs and diversification, the Wii had a weak library relative to it's lifetime, ended-up over-milking a few franchises and the lower spec made it the target platform for an ocean of mediocre shovelware and japanese titles.

The Wii was getting too obsolete compared to the market, they panicked and made the Wii U. I doubt they will reiterate the mistake, but there's only so much they can do more for the Switch, the problem being not so much the specs but the fact that like for the Wii, Nintendo has stopped investing in it's catalogue (again, where are F-Zero, Starfox, Donkey Kong, Odyssey 2/Galaxy 3, Mario Kart X etc...) and can't convince major 3rd party publishers anymore (having to be the first to rely on "cloud games"). So wether they release a Switch Pro or a Super Switch because I really can't see them moving on from this configuration, specs is one thing, but how they use it and 3rd party-publisher react to it is where it's at.

Last edited:
Top Bottom