• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will these RE Code Veronica and RE1 fan remakes survive Capcoms wrath?

Stuart360

Or could we get a situation like with Resident Evil 2 where a fan remake was shut down but inspired Capcom to go ahead with an official RE2 Remake?.

Resident Evil Code Veronica Remake -

Resident Evil 1 Remake -

Both being developed in parallel by the same team of fans, both due to be finished and released for free this year.
Can they survive Capcoms reach and release before they are shut down?. Could Capcom shut them down but they give Capcom the drive to move forward with their own Code Veronica and RE1 remakes?.

This is Resident Evil 2 Reborn -

A fan made project by 'Invader Studios' that Capcom shut down, but Capcom flew the devs to Japan, and showed them an early build of the then unannounced Resident Evil 7. It also inspired Capcom to move forward with their own Resident Evil 2 Remake, and they even give credit to Invader Studios in RE2's credits -

50959484_1974986942797660_3631271166594777088_n.png

All i know is i really want a Code Veronica remake, i mean really want it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Maybe not if they reuse Capcom assets like they seem to for character models, hud elements and other stuff here and there. That's a pretty damning decision if it's really the case, especially since they seem to have good 3D content creators doing much else so they shouldn't have to rip Capcom owned content wholesale like that. If they wanted to reuse Capcom assets rather than make everything original then, if at all possible, making a mod for existing Capcom games so that they're required to play the mods would have been a better decision less likely to have unwelcome attention🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
With the RE 2 remake, Capcom felt threatened because for once it was an amazing take.

These are the usual immature, mediocre but trying fanmade stuff.

MiguelItUp

Waste of time/resources. Can't best the perfection that is remake unless you're an RE4 casual. 🤷‍♂️

Code Veronica though? Yeah. Make it good this time around.
I beg to differ. I really only want it for the visual aspect of everything the new engine provides.

Yeah, Code Veronica could really use it.

Kokoloko85

Id love a Code Veronica remake. Especially if they dont shorten it like they did with RE3 remake and improve some of the issues.

RECV was the longest in the classic series. Loved the lore and story and locations. Would make an awesome remake. Just fix some of the issues and yes please

Power Pro

I will still never understand how or why legally any publisher has the right to tell people "hey, stop doing that thing". They're not selling it, they're not profiting of it, they're fans sharing their passion with other fans. Fuck copyright laws.

Fuz

Banned
I will still never understand how or why legally any publisher has the right to tell people "hey, stop doing that thing". They're not selling it, they're not profiting of it, they're fans sharing their passion with other fans. Fuck copyright laws.
It shouldn't be illegal when there's no profit involved.

Actually, I'm not even sure it is in Europe.

Bragr

Banned
Good that Capcom shut it down, you have to be braindead to put that much work into something that's not yours without asking for permission.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The problem is "what if, nevertheless, they win money?", but I understand your point

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Weren’t they receiving PayPal payments for it

Power Pro

Good that Capcom shut it down, you have to be braindead to put that much work into something that's not yours without asking for permission.
Oh yeah, because it's not like doing projects for the love of a franchise never led to smart publishers actually seeing the talent on hand before....

UMODPhI.jpg

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Oh yeah, because it's not like doing projects for the love of a franchise never led to smart publishers actually seeing the talent on hand before....

UMODPhI.jpg
Just because it has worked out once in a while does not mean it's always ok to use others IP's.

Well, if anything, this proves both of those games are getting remade in the future. RE1 especially.

Not necessarily. They just own the IP. This doesn't mean they're remaking anything.

But they are money hungry, so I do expect Capcom at some point to shit on the legacy of Shinji Mikami by trashing the hell out of RE1. And also CV at some point, for that matter.

Neff

I will still never understand how or why legally any publisher has the right to tell people "hey, stop doing that thing".

If you create a piece of art or entertainment you have the right as its author to decide what can and can't be done with it, thanks to copyright protection. And the reasons corporations don't like their IPs being unofficially used is because a) it's money being earned by an unlicensed party which could potentially be going to them, b) it can undervalue their brand, and c) it can tarnish said brand if an imitation is of poor quality. And Capcom's reasoning here is most likely a combination of a and c.

Without copyright protection, we wouldn't have the entertainment industry as we know it.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Not necessarily. They just own the IP. This doesn't mean they're remaking anything.

But they are money hungry, so I do expect Capcom at some point to shit on the legacy of Shinji Mikami by trashing the hell out of RE1. And also CV at some point, for that matter.
Yeah, I get that, but remember that the EXACT same thing happened with the RE2 fan remake 5 years ago.

Sojiro

Don't use CAPCOM's ASSETS YOU IDIOTS. And, don't ask for money while attached the "Resident Evil" name to the project. Not that hard.
Oh were they planning to charge people for these? Lol no wonder Capcom came down on them, fucking dumb call there.

Needlecrash

Oh were they planning to charge people for these? Lol no wonder Capcom came down on them, fucking dumb call there.
They weren't charging to play. But, they were asking for donations. Fucking idiots. Asking for donations on a Resident Evil fan project using licensed assets from Capcom. Idiot move.

Last edited:

Sojiro

They weren't charging to play. But, they were asking for donations. Fucking idiots. Asking for donations on a Resident Evil fan project using licensed assets from Capcom. Idiot move.
Ah gotcha, but still, the moment any sort of money became involved, was asking for Capcom to shut them down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom