• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we hear about the Indiana Jones game this summer?

VulcanRaven

The new movie is coming soon so I hope we get a trailer for the game as well. I hoped it would be released this year but that probably isn't going to happen. We don't even know much about it. I hope its in third person and Ke Huy Quan returns as Short Round. He needs to have a cameo at least.

I'm still sad we didn't get this game:

Last edited:
I’d forgotten about this. I think we should see something on it, it’s been a few years so the game should be a good way through development and have some gameplay footage to show.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I don't think so. I would love to, but with a Indiana Jones film out right now, oups this month,if they had something to show, they would have already. And Bethesda will probably prefer to be all in on Starfield. Xbox may prefer to wait until they have a date before giving us a trailer, or to use this IP as the center of a new developer direct. The last one was cool and they need to do more of them as they are the equivalent of Sony State of play and Nintendo Direct, who worked well for them in the last few years. But who know? If the game is shaping well, or if Bethesda want to have something for the showcase outside of Starfield, we could have a trailer. But gameplay? for a game that I consider still 2 to 3 years out? That would surprise me. I know that MachinesGames are working on it since probably 2019, but I think that with Covid and Xbox buying Bethesda they took the opportunity to give the game a bigger scope. And with Starfield pushed back to the end of 2023, they would push Indiana Jones for the end of 2024 at the least. So it would be the big Bethesda game for the 2024 E3.

Last edited:

Banned
Machine Games is a decently quick dev team.

their games so far had 2 to 3 year development cycles.
so if that's an indication, we could see a reveal this year.

is it known if they still use id Tech? because that could help as well

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
their games so far had 2 to 3 year development cycles.
so if that's an indication, we could see a reveal this year.
That's probably because they had the comfort of working on sequels to their own games so far. New Order took them much longer to make IIRC.

That said, it's been over 5 years since their last full-fledged game so that's probably a better indicatior that they might finally have something to show for it this year.

digdug2

Let's face facts. Any Indiana Jones movie by any director (yes, even Spielberg) is going to be divisive in terms of reviews. We all know that nothing they can do will top the original trilogy, so all they really need to do is beat out Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and they'll have a winner on their hands.

Let's face facts. Any Indiana Jones movie by any director (yes, even Spielberg) is going to be divisive in terms of reviews. We all know that nothing they can do will top the original trilogy, so all they really need to do is beat out Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and they'll have a winner on their hands.
So far it's actually reviewing worse than Crystal Skull.

digdug2

So far it's actually reviewing worse than Crystal Skull.

Bummer, though I will say that I don't put too much stock in film critics' opinions. For example, The Super Mario Bros. Movie was also panned as rotten on RT, but I thought it did exactly what it set out to do. It was vibrant, very well animated, and a lot of fun for the audience.

Fbh

I'd be stupid to not use the buzz from the movie (even if it's negative) to promote the game.
The last proper big game from them was released in 2017 (and even if you count Youngblood it has still been 4 years) so I imagine it should be far enough into development to actually have something to show

VulcanRaven

You would think so with the movie coming out. Otherwise, total clowns running marketing.
Agreed. I hope they haven't had problems with the development.

I bought Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb digitally on Xbox. I just recently noticed its backwards compatible.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
You would think so with the movie coming out. Otherwise, total clowns running marketing.
Total clowns running marketing you say...interesting
2tE3fI9.jpg

Edit: I'm sure there is some announcement and video in June on Indy. They can't drop the ball that much.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Hopefully. I'm feeling confident it'll revealed at the next Xbox event this summer.

CamHostage

I don't think so. I would love to, but with a Indiana Jones film out right now, oups this month,if they had something to show, they would have already. And Bethesda will probably prefer to be all in on Starfield. Xbox may prefer to wait until they have a date before giving us a trailer, or to use this IP as the center of a new developer direct.

Eh, people said the same thing around the Mario and Uncharted and Sonic and Tomb Raider movies (also every fifth-year anniversary of a franchise,) but marketing departments rarely use that kind of external-calendar timing to plan promotions. They market games when it's a good time to market the games based on their own development schedules and financial approach to market, and unless the product really needs coattails to ride on, they don't need to bandwagon with another product in a different category (and, in all these cases, by an external film studio.) It can probably help if the timing is beneficial, but I can't think of a lot of cases where it's worked out that way.

Also, what you're saying about Bethesda makes sense, yet didn't they announce Redfall at the same show that they revealed Starfield CG/engine footage?

I don't personally think we'll be seeing Indy at this event either, but mostly because I don't think it's on the fast track to be shown yet. It'd be nice if it did pop up though.

reksveks

I would argue that games moving away from being arbitrarily linked to movie release dates and marketing has generally been a good thing.

Azurro

Banned
Bummer, though I will say that I don't put too much stock in film critics' opinions. For example, The Super Mario Bros. Movie was also panned as rotten on RT, but I thought it did exactly what it set out to do. It was vibrant, very well animated, and a lot of fun for the audience.

I hope you like Phoebe Waller Bridge telling everybody how brave, independent and stunning she is and how capitalism sucks. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The game won't have to do much to top THAT.

What likely happened...

January 2021 - Machine Games (Bethesda) knew there were rumblings about being purchased by MS, so they quickly cobbled together the cheapest teaser ever to get it out there that it's even being made - deal is done to make it.

March 2021 - MS buys Zenimax/Bethesda Softworks

But since then... crickets.

The reason is that Indiana Jones is a Lucasfilm Games (Disney) IP, it's not going to be MS exclusive. As the property owner, they'd be pissed as hell if they suddenly lost the entire PS ecosystem just because Machinegames is working on it. Even pro-MS insiders (Jez lol) heard this would not be an exclusive. So that's probably why MS has effectively delayed, and stopped prioritizing this game.

So right now this probably has a low priority until Starfield and other Bethesda "exclusive" games are finished.

Last edited:

CamHostage

The reason is that Indiana Jones is a Lucasfilm Games (Disney) IP, it's not going to be MS exclusive. As the property owner, they'd be pissed as hell if they suddenly lost the entire PS ecosystem just because Machinegames is working on it.

Spider-Man is a Marvel (Disney) IP, and it is PS exclusive. Also Star Wars KOTR Remake is a LucasFilm (Disney) IP, and it is so far is a PS exclusive. So it's not impossible...

Hard to say how the deal terms would have worked out once the Bethesda/MS acquisition happened; even if Bethesda could have hedged the projected sales with some assumptions of the merger when the deal terms were being worked out, they couldn't give LucasFilm Games any pre-warning (and that's if the salesmen pitching the project were let in on this ultra-high-level business activity.) Certainly it has come up again in ongoing discussions with the license holder.

The weird thing about all this is that Bethesda is still a publisher after this merger, responsible for its own bottom line, so they would have their own reasons to keep it multiplatform even under Xbox Games. (Also, these are weird times for game publishing, and there are "Xbox Game Studios" and "PlayStation Studios" titlecards popping up on titles available for both PlayStation and Xbox platforms respectively.) Indy would be a good get for Xbox to negotiate as an exclusive for its audience, (and the lack of the larger PS market would be an issue but there's still advantages to be worked out on the other side of the field,) but it's unclear if that's the way it'll work out.

Spider-Man is a Marvel (Disney) IP, and it is PS exclusive. Also Star Wars KOTR Remake is a LucasFilm (Disney) IP, and it is so far is a PS exclusive. So it's not impossible...

Hard to say how the deal terms would have worked out once the Bethesda/MS acquisition happened; even if Bethesda could have hedged the projected sales with some assumptions of the merger when the deal terms were being worked out, they couldn't give LucasFilm Games any pre-warning (and that's if the salesmen pitching the project were let in on this ultra-high-level business activity.) Certainly it has come up again in ongoing discussions with the license holder.

The weird thing about all this is that Bethesda is still a publisher after this merger, responsible for its own bottom line, so they would have their own reasons to keep it multiplatform even under Xbox Games. (Also, these are weird times for game publishing, and there are "Xbox Game Studios" and "PlayStation Studios" titlecards popping up on titles available for both PlayStation and Xbox platforms respectively.) Indy would be a good get for Xbox to negotiate as an exclusive for its audience, (and the lack of the larger PS market would be an issue but there's still advantages to be worked out on the other side of the field,) but it's unclear if that's the way it'll work out.

For Spider-Man, Sony owns the film license. Marvel made them a deal for the character in their games.

Sony's 1998 license, covering all Spider-Man films (including 900 characters related to Spider-Man), is perpetual provided that Sony releases a new Spider-Man film at least once every 5.75 years.

Also, KOTOR Remake is a PS5 and PC Launch exclusive, so they haven't ruled out that it will be on Xbox in future.

CamHostage

For Spider-Man, Sony owns the film license. Marvel made them a deal for the character in their games.

Sony's 1998 license, covering all Spider-Man films (including 900 characters related to Spider-Man), is perpetual provided that Sony releases a new Spider-Man film at least once every 5.75 years.

Sure, but the Spider-Man film license doesn't automatically also grant you other market rights. Activision had Spidey for over a decade while Sony put out the movies. (Activision and Marvel even expanded their license in 2005 for an extended 12 years during the heights of Spideymania.)

It assumedly helped, but Sony still had to bid for that deal despite having such a tight association with the Spider-Man brand that they long ago made the PS3 font Spidey'ish.

Wolverine has no film license association with Sony, but PlayStation got that brand too. Plus Iron Man VR, same thing.

And if Marvel Games was so hungry for every dollar on each deal they make and can't possibly entertain the value proposition of an exclusivity deal, they wouldn't have given Nintendo Marvel Ultimate Alliance exclusively. (It's not a big chip, but there's no reason for Nintendo to have done that game when neither the publisher nor developer nor even really platform audience had any association or track record with that product line. It was just something that worked out the way that it did.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom