• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we see warp drive in our lifetime?

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
April 5, 2063 in Bozeman, Montana. You heard it here first.

And this will be it:

phoenix10.jpg

Ballthyrm

Warp Drive is overrated.
We could explore the whole galaxy at a fraction of the speed of light with known physics.

Becoming a space faring civilization is way more interessing.
I believe more in transhumanism, we know it's possible as it doesn't break any laws of physics.

Once Humans become basically information and escape our limited biology.
And we can create for ourselves any kind of body we want.
Don't transport yourself , become the ship !
Or even stream/download yourself across the galaxy at the speed of light.

read the Bobiverse series, great books !

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Warp Drive is overrated.
We could explore the whole galaxy at a fraction of the speed of light with known physics.

I believe more in transhumanism, we know it's possible as it doesn't break any laws of physics.

This is going to be the most likely outcome for the long run. Where we send our signal over to another galaxy and rebuild ourself in that area with a new body.

Its the only way to travel at speed of light most likely and it will take us probably a long time to even get there as we are nowhere near technology advanced at this point to do so.

This could also make huge distances like galaxy travel etc easily doable with a array of satalites that basically form a gigantic bridge to send data the other way or basically planets where we install satalites on that we colonise that push data through.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Assuming by some freak miracle that they figured out how to make warp ability possible outside of currently just been a theory. There's the rather large problem that earth contains no elements to make a material strong enough that could withstand the sheer force of travelling at those kinds of speeds so unless someones about to go pull a tony stark & discover a new element that happens to be the building block to a whole new branch of materials there's gonna be no star trek style galaxy hopping in a thousand lifetimes.

T8SC

No. In the 80's they said we'd have Marty McFly style hoverboards by the 2000's ... and all we've got so far is them shitty gyro-wheelie things.

Buggy Loop

Nope, not a chance in hell.

The materials required for the Alcubierre drive are purely mathematical hacks to make his equation possible, they call it « exotic » as if you’re going to find it in some remote place, but it basically bends all notions we have of the universe thus far on materials that would require it to have negative mass and negative energy.

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

And IF you manage to do it, should you? A warp drive (as per Alcubeire has theorized) could simply annihilate a whole solar system just by « arriving », trapping high-energy particles as they travel, swept up by the craft’s warp field, gets trapped in a stable section of the field and releases this immense accumulation of energetic particles that would shotgun a particle beam in front of the craft as it disengages. There’s virtually no limit to the energy an alcubeire drive could accumulate this way.

There‘s no such thing as fast travel without becoming a deadly weapon, even with « hacks » like warp drives. If you’re travelling to find life, you’re eliminating it or declaring intergalactic war with this method of travel.

Last edited:
Dude the public's basic concept of electricity isnt even that high. People think electricity runs through wires. It doesn't. *GASP* .

IMO We need to have a better understanding of electricity before we really see in time space developments.

Tesla had a better understanding of electricity than alot of physicist today. To bad he went crazy.
Wow as I guy who's a EE it appears you really want to push some crazy bullshit here. I could be wrong but I think you're confusing how Coax works vs tray cable.

I would personally say warp drive is at least defined before effective wireless power ever happens.

Want to know why ground bars exist?

No biggie bud.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Wow as I guy who's a EE it appears you really want to push some crazy bullshit here. I could be wrong but I think you're confusing how Coax works vs tray cable.

I would personally say warp drive is at least defined before effective wireless power ever happens.

Want to know why ground bars exist?

No biggie bud.

I think he’s referring to the fact that energy doesn’t travel inside the wire. The concept of « pumping » energy into your home with wires as if it was a water hose is completely false.

Veratisum did a video recently on it, but I knew from transformers designing the answer already, it travels through the magnetic and electric fluxes. As a transformer has no physical connection between primary and secondary side, thus a transfer of energy with a gap that has no cables, is a hint of the whole concept of electricity for the rest of the network too. The network wire basically acts like an extension of the electromagnetic field from the source.

He’s right, general public doesn’t know this shit. But science never waited on the public’s understanding to go ahead anyway, so I’m not sure what’s the point.

Last edited:

Sakura

The Alcubierre drive:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

And then this: White Juday Warpfield Interferometer:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_G._White

You can also read these: Warpfield Mechanics 101:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/20110015936

warp1.png

These are about as serious as it is possible to get currently.
The problem with these is they are entirely untested (naturally) and require the use of materials that a) likely do not exist or b) even if they did exist might not be usable.
It is entirely likely that a warp drive is simply a technology that is not possible.

In our lifetime? No. In a few centuries? Probably not. In a few millenia? Who knows.

I would love to get a record of mankind's history in the upcoming centuries. What happens in the future is an extremeley fascinating subject.

Stuart360

Hopefully not.

Waste of money as there's more pressing needs on Earth. I can understand dollars spent on space age stuff like getting satellites up, but most of the time it seems more for bragging rights.
Thats exactly why we need to do this. The Earth is on a count down, and we are made to explore the stars and find new homes.

As for the question, you always hear conflicting reports on this kind of stuff, buit i have read that they know in theory how to do it, but the energy needed is astonomical.
I think we really need full disclosure on aliens and that they exist, somehting basically to capture the mind of the masses, and result in a drive forward for humanity.

I personally believ that the timeframes involved are similar to Star Trek, so in another 300-400 years we will be out there exploring the galaxy.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
I thought fusion plants were already being worked on.
Plants? Perhaps some very preliminary concepts of how they could be constructed. As already mentioned the basic physics is understood but actually achieving it and then sustaining it is the issue.

The only fusion reactors that exist are experimental. None will become plants.

ItsGreat

We will travel faster than light.

But only in Zuckerbergs Metaverse.

As long as I can wear a pair of sweet sneakers I don't care.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
No.

We are closer now to humans living forever than we are to any extreme space travel. Which if you would've said back in the 60's, people would've called you crazy.

We will likely have humans living hundreds or thousands of years before we come close to leaving the solar system if you compare the rate at which we are advancing our space travel vs our medical and science innovations

Lightjolly

Neo Member
I'll be more than happy with advanced VR like Sword art online or Accel World, so we can just pretend to visit other galaxies

I'd rather more focus is put into Ecological Restoration

Last edited:

*Nightwing

No, but since words can change thier meaning at a persons will like calling sticking a maxi pad in your arm pit to absorb sweat “hacking”
ByDtzOG.jpg

I’m sure someone at some point will say a rubber band warping it’s form and unraveling to propel a flying craft is warp flight and hence this a warp drive:
AnbVpVR.gif

But what you and I think of as warp drive? No. We might see the beginnings of the science of it flourish, but we are technologically not in the same ballpark. It will take a jump in physics knowledge such as Einstein created. We are not close

BigBooper

Maybe within computer models. I don't see it being affordable enough or useful enough within our lifetimes for it to happen.

Why do we want to explore a galaxy full of hot jupiters, airless super earths, extreme cold, and radiation? We can just upgrade our telescopes. We won't invent a warp drive unless we have a destination that we HAVE to go to.

Artoris

Gold Member
Warp Drive is overrated.

"Transhumanism"
I fail to see how changing one's sex helps with space travel

Top Bottom