• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windbound - Brave the Storm Announce Trailer

LMJ

It looks very intriguing :) it also looks like a mixture between wind waker and breath of the wild

Not that that's a bad thing mind you the gameplay does look fun, but that's the very 1st thing I thought when I saw the trailer

Zannegan

Gold Member
I like the art style. Low poly models with HQ everything else gives a game a nice, stylized look.

Seems to have a Souls-esque focus on dodging, but in a more Zelda-like world. I wonder if you can climb everything like BotW.

Saber

Gold Member
Looks interesting.

Gonna keep checking this out until it launches to see if its good.

TheWisp

I liked the look of it. Maybe the animations could use more polish. But it seemed interesting enough for sure.

Hopefully "speeds" up a number of systems but keeps the core of breadth of the wild intact. I'll check this one out with the kids.

Humdinger

I heard about this game a week ago, and I've been curious about it. It takes inspiration from Zelda, which is good.

I was initially put off when I heard it was rogue-like (I hate the idea of losing all or almost all your progress by dying), but then I heard there were two modes -- one easier, more story-focused, and the second mode more difficult, with emphasis on survival. I think I can avoid the rogue-like elements by choosing the easier mode.

I think the game is going to be $30. I'm interested. Not sure yet -- I've never been big into crafting games, so if there is a ton of emphasis on that, I might bow out. But we'll see.

Humdinger

Windbound is out today, Aug. 28th. It's not doing so well in the reviews. Metacritic shows an average of 60, although that's only based on 4 reviews (PS4 version).

The only review site I recognized was Sixth Axis, so I'll quote their review. They gave it a 60:

The barriers that Windbound puts up makes it a tough game to enjoy, at least initially. It will take time to appreciate what it brings to the survival genre with its clever boat-building and authored open world action, though these smart nuances often go hand-in-hand with tedious, sometimes frustrating stretches of playtime.

Other reviews also mention similar things, using words like "brutal without apology" and "frustrating and punishing."

That's not for me. I was hoping for a relaxed experience.

Last edited:

Pantz

That's not for me. I was hoping for a relaxed experience.

Hmm well there is an easier difficulty. Just starting it and it seems pretty chill.

First impression, I'm a little disappointed. The ambiance of the wind and the waves is very quiet and it doesn't seem like there's a way to adjust it individually. For and island themed game that really stings.

I can see what they mean about being tedious, lots of gathering and crafting. Still it's fun exploring and figuring out what you need in order to get to your next destination. Seems like a good game to play off and on between other games. 6/10 might be about right. If the ambiance audio was better I could bump it up to 7.5.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Top Bottom