• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 or 11 for Productivity?

Hey gaf,

I was curious is it worth to switch to Windows 11? Mainly for productivity like video content creation and 3D modeling/animation software such as 3ds Max/Blender/zBrush/Maya and UE5 for game development/art and so on.

Gaming is optional but a nice bonus. Are there really any major differences between 10 and 11 performance wise across the board? Does the PC feel smoother, faster ?

Let me know, thanks!

diffusionx

Gold Member
There aren’t major differences or improvements but it’s more polished and usable imo. Worth upgrading but don’t expect life changes differences. It’s more like an annual Android or iOS release than a historical windows upgrade like 98 to XP or whatever

gothmog

Gold Member
At this point it's probably worth upgrading. I haven't seen any issues since upgrading again a few months back. I went from 11 to 10 when it was released but it seems like they patched it enough.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
ubuntu-logo.png

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If you are already on Windows 10 there is no advantage going to Windows 11.

If you are already on Windows 11 there is no advantage going to Windows 10.

From a perf perspective its the same shit.

Microsoft is saying they will end support for Windows 10 Oct/Nov 2025 so that might sway you one way or another.
But otherwise it doesnt matter.

I dont know any 3D artists/Unreal Devs who have ever recommended going Linux.

dave_d

Microsoft is saying they will end support for Windows 10 Oct/Nov 2025 so that might sway you one way or another.
But otherwise it doesnt matter.
Pretty much that's my plan, wait until then. As far as I was concerned when Windows 10 came out it was in alpha for years(I had tons of problems with it.) So I'm definitely not eager to try 11 until I'm pretty sure it's out of beta.

Black_Stride

Pretty much that's my plan, wait until then. As far as I was concerned when Windows 10 came out it was in alpha for years(I had tons of problems with it.) So I'm definitely not eager to try 11 until I'm pretty sure it's out of beta.
Hahaha thats pretty much how I feel.
I see no reason to go to Windows 11 just yet.

I was force fed Windows 10 with some games not running on Windows 7 (yes I skipped 8 and 8.1), so until support is done and/or I build a new machine that isnt mission critical, im going to be sitting on Windows 10.

Black_Stride

Can't tell if serious. No 3d Artist ever mentioned Linux or any other operating system other than Windows lol. Going to assume that this is a silly drive-by troll post.
No im dead serious.
Ive never met a 3D Artist and/or Unreal Engine developer who recommended going to Ubuntu from Windows.
I know they exist, but generally speaking people just stick to Windows

P.S
I know a good number of 3D Artists and UE render artists.
I dont think theres even official Linux versions of 3DS Max and zBrush.
DXR baking in Substance isnt supported "officially" in Linux either, hell the Substance builds for Linux are only available through Steam.
(and we question for how long)

The only Linux 3D Artists I know primarily use Blender or Maya.

No im dead serious.
Ive never met a 3D Artist and/or Unreal Engine developer who recommended going to Ubuntu from Windows.
I know they exist, but generally speaking people just stick to Windows

P.S
I know a good number of 3D Artists and UE render artists.
I dont think theres even official Linux versions of 3DS Max and zBrush.
DXR baking in Substance isnt supported "officially" in Linux either, hell the Substance builds for Linux are only available through Steam.
(and we question for how long)

The only Linux 3D Artists I know primarily use Blender or Maya.
I know you are being serious lol. I was quoting the other guy.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’ve been on windows 11 for years now and it’s 100% fine. Not sure why people are so hesitant to jump on it lol. It’s basically windows 10 but with a few upgrades.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Think of windows 11 as a windows 10 service pack you have to go through hoops to upgrade to.
I think it would have been a service pack but they wanted to push some of the security features and they needed a clean break to do that due to it not being necessarily an easy upgrade process and for incompatible legacy hardware.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Always go newer so it stays supported for longer.
Except that you risk instability, major incompatibility issues, more bugs, far more security vulnerabilities, less refined support structures, and countless other issues. There are these, and many more reasons why people don’t jump on new versions of Windows - we all know it takes years for the trash to get ironed out, particularly with the vast majority of the functioning world still on Windows 10, there’s no real reason to upgrade to Windows 11 unless you want a slightly different interface and some of your favorite features to be in asinine places which are completely and utterly unintuitive.

I'm a 3D artist and I use older software and plugins from time to time. Either because they haven't been updated, or because I prefer the older version. Pretty much all of those were originally intended to run on Windows 10. Would they run on 11 as well? Probably. But knowing my luck I'll eventually run into one that wouldn't, and then I'd be fucked, so I just stick with 10.

sendit

Except that you risk instability, major incompatibility issues, more bugs, far more security vulnerabilities, less refined support structures, and countless other issues. There are these, and many more reasons why people don’t jump on new versions of Windows - we all know it takes years for the trash to get ironed out, particularly with the vast majority of the functioning world still on Windows 10, there’s no real reason to upgrade to Windows 11 unless you want a slightly different interface and some of your favorite features to be in asinine places which are completely and utterly unintuitive.

Fear mongering 101.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If you're buying a new machine I'd get it with Windows 11 Pro preinstalled. I like a lot of the little things, like embracing powershell as the default terminal, snap layouts and ease of managing multiple desktops. I prefer using my Windows 11 laptop over my Windows 10 laptop for work. I don't see any real performance differences other than what I would expect from the hardware differences between the two.

Lasha

I'm a 3D artist and I use older software and plugins from time to time. Either because they haven't been updated, or because I prefer the older version. Pretty much all of those were originally intended to run on Windows 10. Would they run on 11 as well? Probably. But knowing my luck I'll eventually run into one that wouldn't, and then I'd be fucked, so I just stick with 10.

I have not switched to windows 11 for similar reasons. I have too many workflows with weird dependencies. Windows 11 should be fine but my schedule has been too busy to risk downtime. I can't switch OS without spending some time testing everything. I plan to ride 10 as long as possible.

ZoukGalaxy

Honestly, better stay with W10 for productivity. Nothing from W11 can replace the useful customizable start menu and a true right click contextual menu.
There is reg edit and third party software (stardock) to fix that, but UI with gigantic empty space is a true time waster, change for the sack of change is really the worst thing productivity wise (hello Google with Android UI).
W11 is a colossal failure for UI and productivity, not everything has to become minimalist.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

There's some nice QoL changes and a few random regressions mostly in where things are hidden in the UI

Neither will change your productivity that much, you just upgrade and use your apps and sort of forget you upgraded

I prefer to just go with the future and upgrade.

BlackTron

I realize you're asking about productivity software and I'm talking about something else, but. My idea of productivity is being able to manage many windows for multitasking copying/organizing files, editing a variety of .txts and browsing, with the minimum amount of friction from clicking around and UI design. I'm always astounded how much better I feel sitting down at my old 7 desktop where I do all this stuff after being on my 11 gaming machine for a while. I'm just way snappier and have less steps making the screen follow where my head is going.

I have all the necessary hardware and software to do better, but the machine I sit down at to manage files and pass time on gaf is just 7.

Can't tell if serious. No 3d Artist ever mentioned Linux or any other operating system other than Windows lol. Going to assume that this is a silly drive-by troll post.
I'd give the benefit of the doubt, might have just read the thread title, well hopefully, and even then...

Last edited:

Drew1440

Windows 11 is pretty much stable now, but always make a backup just in case.
Linux can also be a good alternative providing the applications mentioned can run under WINE, which might not be the case for newer software.

Utherellus

It took me numbers of tweaks to upgrade 11 to 10's level of productivity:

1. As a 3D artist, combined taskbar icons is literal hell for me. I constantly need million folders opened for quick access to various assets. Combined taskbar ruins that.

2. Simplified properties menu. Absolute dogshit. Requiring second click for full menu is ridiculous.

3. New task manager redesign is also a step back. They force you to remember the icons for each tab, instead of using text names, which was efficient and intuitive.

I somehow fixed all these and my W11 is now as productive/intuitive as W10.

11 hasn't exceeded predecessor in any way.

Top Bottom