• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11: The Best Windows Ever for Gaming - Xbox Wire

twilo99

Not gonna lie, that 1TB requirement is kinda unfortunate. I got one 1TB and a 500GB PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe and it would be a shame to be only able to use one for direct storage gaming.

Agreed on the 1TB, I just think its good that they have strict requirements for it instead of trying to support 10 year old hardware and making a mess out of it, which they tend to do.

That being said, the CPU support list has shrunk quite a bit...

twilo99

"And on Windows 11, DirectX 12 Ultimate will likely leverage other perks that come by default with Xbox Series X/S, including a more efficient texture-loading technique dubbed Sampler Feedback Streaming."

DirectStorage on Windows 11: Next-gen gaming performance, with PC requirements | Ars Technica

"During the Game Stack DirectStorage presentation, Microsoft said that they were working to improve the storage stack of the OS in general. Games that directly use DirectStorage will obviously be the most optimal, but I wonder if we see better load times in general for non-DirectStorage games, too."

yamaci17

so much for zen being "future proof". 4 years later and first zens are not officially supported...

Last edited:

EDMIX

No complaints from me. W10 is great already. If they want to bring new enhancements with 11 while copying some stuff from Apple then be my guest.

Its not like Apple doesnt copy stuff.

Agreed. Thats part of the game.

Took a while for Win 10 to be great though, but that is pretty much all OS anyway. I'll hold off for a few years as I'm sure most of what i use for work won't be Win 11 required or something.

So... whatever happened to Windows 10 being the last Windows they will ever release?

Strategy, strategy. People love the feeling of getting "new" things with new features and stylish interfaces. It's free marketing. This could have been a windows 10 release, but they chose to market it as a windows 11, and it's getting way more hype because of that simple marketing decision. :)

nkarafo

Strategy, strategy. People love the feeling of getting "new" things with new features and stylish interfaces. It's free marketing. This could have been a windows 10 release, but they chose to market it as a windows 11, and it's getting way more hype because of that simple marketing decision. :)
I don't disagree with the strategy.

But they didn't have to lie about Windows 10 either.

twilo99

Agreed. Thats part of the game.

Took a while for Win 10 to be great though, but that is pretty much all OS anyway. I'll hold off for a few years as I'm sure most of what i use for work won't be Win 11 required or something.

hmm this upgrade doesn't strike me as a major one like say ..

95 ->XP
XP -> win7
7 -> 8
8 ->10

10 to 11 seems more of a major "service pack" than a major update, like the ones I mentioned above, so I feel like the upgrade process will be much smoother than before. Its much more of a marketing move than anything when it comes to the naming anyway.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I'm glad people resisting change are not in charge to make decisions like this. In general people dislike change. If it was up to some people we would still be running Windows 2000.

I'm in the IT industry and changes have been smoother with every iteration. Say what you will about Microsoft but they have been improving non-stop for a while.

I don't disagree with the strategy.

But they didn't have to lie about Windows 10 either.

They never did. They said it was coming to windows. They didn't say it would be Windows 10. They also kept the promise of DX12 Ultimate being available to all Windows 10 owners right back to the Nov 2019 build of Windows 10.

DirectStorage is being treated as something separate entirely outside of DirectX 12 Ultimate.

Pay attention to this oct 2020 blog post.

AMD recently announced their Radeon™ RX 6000 Series graphics cards, which deliver impressive support of the full DirectX 12 Ultimate feature set and the upcoming DirectStorage API.

They said RX 6000 Series GPUs support full DX12 Ultimate, and the upcoming DirectStorage API. Notice how DX12 Ultimate is treated as separate from DX12 Ultimate?

The promise Microsoft made was to give Windows 10 owners DX12 Ultimate, and they will.

Banned

95 ->XP
XP -> win7
7 -> 8
8 ->10

10 to 11 seems more of a major "service pack" than a major update, like the ones I mentioned above, so I feel like the upgrade process will be much smoother than before. Its much more of a marketing move than anything when it comes to the naming anyway.

yeah I bet they didn't even plan to name it Windows 11 but someone in the PR department said it would get much more coverage by mainstream media if they did.

"Windows 10 UI Update" doesn't have nearly the same marketability as Windows 11

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They never did. They said it was coming to windows. They didn't say it would be Windows 10. They also kept the promise of DX12 Ultimate being available to all Windows 10 owners right back to the Nov 2019 build of Windows 10.

DirectStorage is being treated as something separate entirely outside of DirectX 12 Ultimate.

Pay attention to this oct 2020 blog post.

They said RX 6000 Series GPUs support full DX12 Ultimate, and the upcoming DirectStorage API. Notice how DX12 Ultimate is treated as separate from DX12 Ultimate?

The promise Microsoft made was to give Windows 10 owners DX12 Ultimate, and they will.

MS had also said Windows 10 was going to be the last version of Windows. I don't see this as a big deal though since Windows 11 is a free upgrade.

yeah I bet they didn't even plan to name it Windows 11 but someone in the PR department said it would get much more coverage by mainstream media if they did.

"Windows 10 UI Update" doesn't have nearly the same marketability as Windows 11

also, I love how you completely left out Vista lol

Windows 10 Ultimate!

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Turn on fTPM in bios and it will be compatible

I can also confirm that this works. I just turned the TPM option in my ASUS ROG STRIX motherboard bios from "Discrete TPM" to "Firmware TPM" and I now have full TPM 2.0 support, and the "health check" tool is now showing full W11 compatibility instead of "sorry".

I'm now ready for the free Windows 11 upgrade. Appreciate the tip.

Last edited:

Banned

well again, this name change is 99% PR and 1% actual tech reasons.
this is almost entirely a UI overhaul and a small overhaul at the backend.

Windows 10, even if they stuck with that name forever, would eventually get drastic updates like these, even if they didn't name it Windows 11. or did anyone seriously believe the UI and tech will never be upgraded over time? for all we know it will simply be a free update like any other Windows 10 update would have been. and if that's the case it really doesn't matter what it's called... they could call it Windows 10.1... windows 10.5... or Windows 11, doesn't change anything for the consumer

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Can't wait to install classic shell and make it look like Windows 7.
tenor.gif

nemiroff

Gold Member

Windows 10, even if they stuck with that name forever, would eventually get drastic updates like these, even if they didn't name it Windows 11. for all we know it will simply be a free update like any other Windows 10 update would have been

Not sure what your point is. There's no conspiracy here, it's a free update. If MS thinks it has enough features to increment its integer naming, who the fuck cares.

Windows 10, even if they stuck with that name forever, would eventually get drastic updates like these, even if they didn't name it Windows 11. for all we know it will simply be a free update like any other Windows 10 update would have been

There are a number of new features as well as interface updates, with new performance features. There's never an actual tech reason to go with a name change. Companies and developers just choose to if their software has been updated. If Google can give each of their new android revisions a new name, and if Apple can do the same, why can't Microsoft. It's always marketing in some form. Developers keep track behind the scenes with build/version numbers.

twilo99

BTW nice work OP. Very detail post without any trace of astroturfing.

is the norm here to write a short essay about the link/source in every post?

Its a stupid PR article that mentioned the technology related to gaming, whish what we all presumably care about here..

EDMIX

95 ->XP
XP -> win7
7 -> 8
8 ->10

True. I was thinking this was a "new" OS and if its just some update, I have no issue with it.

I'm not paying for shit lol

Hari Seldon

Hey haters, feel free to move to Linux or OSX if you hate windows that much!
Unfortunately we are stuck with windows for gaming. I already have offloaded my entire workflow to Linux, so it is just gaming keeping me in the windows ecosystem.

I would have thought MS would have done more to recapture the tech professionals but they seem to have given up that fight and are just going for a consumer level OS.

Banned
There are a number of new features as well as interface updates, with new performance features. There's never an actual tech reason to go with a name change. Companies and developers just choose to if their software has been updated. If Google can give each of their new android revisions a new name, and if Apple can do the same, why can't Microsoft. It's always marketing in some form. Developers keep track behind the scenes with build/version numbers.

well I guess the reason for the number change comes down to the fact that you will most likely need to do a fresh install of Win 11 (or do one of those upgrade installs, which weren't really recommended in past upgrades) and you can't just download an update one day and be done with it.

dcmk7

Banned
I remember when people HATED Windows 10 when it released...now people suddenly want to stick with it for reasons.
They want to stick with it because it's a good operating system?

You have just proven my point though. All new OS upon release are trash.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Stick with it, because it's a good operating system?

As you have just proven my point. All new OS on release are trash.

Funny how people won't upgrade to a free new OS for new features but will drop hundreds of dollars on a new game console for new features.

dcmk7

Banned
Funny how people won't upgrade to a free new OS for new features but will drop hundreds of dollars on a new game console for new features.
Funny how you always insinuate a conspiracy theory or alternative motives rather than discuss anything reasonably.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Typical MS… PR overhype!

Although I understand they need to keep their operating system compatible with a lot of companies/products/hardware… there’s little innovation an old OS keep being patched and build upon on old legacy code can archive.

if they truly wanted the best OS for gaming, they had to start new. Reduce the OS footprint, reduce redundancy and build for the future, new foundations!

this free OS updates, work with Apple because they have a limited amount of hardware and when they start anew they are good at making the transition as smooth as possible, but that is impossible with the current state of windows and it’s particularlies.

Top Bottom