• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11: The Best Windows Ever for Gaming - Xbox Wire

SantaC

rtx 2000 series are also dx12 ultimate capable, just a fyi

1 tb requirement is weird.. dunno what is their intent
I have a 1TB nvme drive as a my second disk while windows is installed on a 256GB ssd.

Would directstorage work on my D:\games disk or does it need to be the one windows is installed on?

twilo99

Yeah i have 512MB LOL, but it was cheaper than SATA drives so why not

Yeah same. The other question is does it have to be the system drive or just where the games are installed? Hopefully its the latter so you can just add a 1tb nvme for gaming.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you don't know if you have TPM 2.0 on your PC or not:

Start -> Run -> tpm.msc (press enter). That is Microsoft's built in TPM management tool. It will tell you if you have TPM enabled, and whether it's 2.0.

ratburger

If running tpm.msc from Win+R tells you TPM is unavailable:
  • For Intel motherboards, in the BIOS, turn on Intel(R) Platform Trust Technology
  • For AMD motherboards, in the BIOS, turn on AMD fTPM

Last edited:

jeffyjaixx

Start -> Run -> tpm.msc (press enter). That is Microsoft's built in TPM management tool. It will tell you if you have TPM enabled, and whether it's 2.0.

Thanks for this. I just checked in bios, I do have TPM enabled in bios but I see this when I run that.

GfN7M08.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Day 1. I mean, someone has to do the beta testing, right?
I'm already running it!

Thanks for this. I just checked in bios, I do have TPM enabled in bios but I see this when I run that.

GfN7M08.png
Perhaps your TPM hardware drivers aren't installed or configured correctly?

so dumb question here: if you don't really want to upgrade until, say, next year, can you delay the upgrade on your Win10 system?

Kuranghi

All I want to know is if they are continuing their mission to try and remove exclusive fullscreen and have Windows ruin the frame-pacing & force triple-buffered v-sync by forcing borderless fullscreen. Please god say thats not worse in this version, I can't believe how much time I wasted trying to get games to run smoothly before I knew this was happening in Win10.

Also, Auto-HDR is unwanted for me personally, devs often still can't even get HDR right when they implement it in a bespoke way, Auto-HDR is going to be shit 9/10 from what I've seen so far.

yamaci17

I have a 1TB nvme drive as a my second disk while windows is installed on a 256GB ssd.

Would directstorage work on my D:\games disk or does it need to be the one windows is installed on?
thanks for asking but honestly i have no idea

but i don't see why would they lock it to system drives, surely consoles support ssd expansions

but then again, series s runs directstorage api with a 512 gb ssd so even the 1 gb requirement can be wrong

maybe they meant 1 gb as "optimal" performance. some ssds have poor performance when they're full and 512 gb ssds bound to be more full with casual use

Last edited:

SantaC

yeah i am fucked. thanks microsoft.

vVnWUvG.png

jshackles

so dumb question here: if you don't really want to upgrade until, say, next year, can you delay the upgrade on your Win10 system?
Windows 10 will still be receiving mainstream support and security upgrades from Microsoft through October of 2025

We don't know yet, but can be similar how Windows 10 upgrade works I guess?
i know i delayed upgrading to 10 for quite a while, if 11 is the same way then i'm good, would like to give the new OS time to 'settle' to become as stable as possible before i upgrade.

Windows 10 will still be receiving mainstream support and security upgrades from Microsoft through October of 2025

thanks for the info, i can live with that timeline for upgrade.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
I completely agree. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade.
People who want DirectStorage are maybe not being forced .. but being pushed hard to upgrade.

It's a shame for the people who want to stick with Windows 10 AND make use of DirectStorage. There isn't any option for them.

Can't think of a single reason why this isn't technically possible for Microsoft. It's just a weird and anti consumer decision to me.

jshackles

Developers will get 100% Revenue for apps, and 88% Revenue for Games on Windows Store PC. This huge news for gaming on Windows PC.

This will be user friendly when apps gets automatic updates on the Windows Store, without manually downloading them from a browser.

Microsoft also opened up the Xbox SDK (Standard Development Kit) to the Public

Last edited:

Fake

i know i delayed upgrading to 10 for quite a while, if 11 is the same way then i'm good, would like to give the new OS time to 'settle' to become as stable as possible before i upgrade,

As a IT myself, unless you're a Microsoft hardfanboy, I would suggest wait as much as you can to get the stable build. Windows 10 took ages to became polish and still have some rough edges.

IDK if will be a limited time for get Windows 11 for free (like Windows 10).

reksveks

Can't think of a single reason why this isn't technically possible for Microsoft. It's just a weird and anti consumer decision to me.
Unless we are really know what's changed in the kernel, it's a bit of a hard one to tell. It's also unlikely that Microsoft will tell us that much information.

I do want to know what happens if someone gets it working on Windows 10.

How many Microsoft, windows and gamepass shills can you get on one website... Hmmm..

Maybe if people had actual data, personal experience, or an opinion, but no. It's a link to a company avertising. Or countless "but muh gamepass" posts. I would think people were legit, but we already had a cyberpunk shill on here for months, who's to say some people aren't just that (it's not like Ms hasn't deployed this tactic over and over again.)

Last edited:

jshackles

IDK if will be a limited time for get Windows 11 for free (like Windows 10).

At the moment, Microsoft's free upgrade offer doesn't look as though it's going to be timed like it was with Windows 10. Back when Microsoft let Windows 7 and 8 users upgrade to Windows 10 for free, they had to do so within one year of it becoming generally available. According to Microsoft, however, "The free upgrade offer does not have a specific end date for eligible systems" right now.

So it looks like the upgrade Window won't be artificially time contrained.

People who want DirectStorage are maybe not being forced .. but being pushed hard to upgrade.

It's a shame for the people who want to stick with Windows 10 AND make use of DirectStorage. There isn't any option for them.

Unless you can explain the technical reasons why Windows 10 should have DirectStorage you don't really know do you? MS is offering a path for people to use DirectStorage for FREE. If you don't want to use that option that is not MS's fault and it is damn far from being anti consumer. Do you even know what that means?

dcmk7

Banned
Unless you can explain the technical reasons why Windows 10 should have DirectStorage you don't really know do you? MS is offering a path for people to use DirectStorage for FREE. If you don't want to use that option that is not MS's fault and it is damn far from being anti consumer. Do you even know what that means?
This free option doesn't help the people who don't want to upgrade from Windows 10 but they DO want to use the DirectStorage API.

It's just an API after all. I'm sure they could easily make it available for Windows 10, if they wanted to.

Microsoft should give that option. People like options. It would certainly be a pro consumer move, if they did.

Michele

you.
I've confirmed with Dave, this advisor at Microsoft Answers that there is a bug with the software where it will say it doesn't meet minimum requirements, despite doing so already.

reinking

Gold Member
Is the writing on the wall that the Xbox Console is no longer going to be the focus of the Xbox brand? A renewed focus on PC, xCloud and talk of streaming boxes and TV support I wonder if the traditional console will be around two generations from now. At least in the same sense as the Series X is right now. Just a thought.

Top Bottom