• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11: The Best Windows Ever for Gaming - Xbox Wire

base

Banned
They finally learn. No more hybrid OS. Looking fordward to it. Windows 10 is the most stable OS ever. Comes from someone who started using computers back when Windows 95 was popular.

Banned
Directstorage deals with memory allocation, the 2 pb you mentioned isn't a giant single piece of data, it should be multiple smaller chunk of them to fit the location where you fly your jet , it's much more complicated to explain briefly, I recommend watching mark cerny presentation explaining the memory allocation differences with the pcie ssd.

doesn't really matter. direct storage mainly helps with loading speed. a good CPU will not be hindered by loading assets.

but like I said, in the case of Flught Simulator most of the assets will be streamed and the speed at which it can load will be mostly dependent on your connection

M16

apparently TPM 2.0 started coming with PCs in 2015-2016. has anyone here found out if they have TPM 1.2? i just checked a 10 inch atom windows tablet i got in 2016,and it has a TPM 2.0.

Last edited:
May be best for gaming, still sucks at everything else. Never ever again will I buy anything with android or windows on it.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Shmunter

doesn't really matter. direct storage mainly helps with loading speed. a good CPU will not be hindered by loading assets.

but like I said, in the case of Flught Simulator most of the assets will be streamed and the speed at which it can load will be mostly dependent on your connection
Direct storage helps loading because it bypasses the cpu bottleneck, allowing assets to be placed into vram directly.

Decompressing them is another challenge however, RTX/Io is said to do the job. Not sure how AMD proposes to handle it.

apparently TPM 2.0 started coming with PCs in 2015-2016. has anyone here found out if they have TPM 1.2? i just checked a 10 inch atom windows tablet i got in 2016,and it has a TPM 2.0.
i think TPM 2.0 was first introduced with Skylake so 2015/2016 would be about right. I assume every AM4 board supports 2.0 since that didn't come out until 2017. you might have TPM 2.0 but i don't think you'll be getting W11 on it. apparently W11 is only supported on Intel 8th gen and above so that's Coffee Lake from 2017.

martino

i think TPM 2.0 was first introduced with Skylake so 2015/2016 would be about right. I assume every AM4 board supports 2.0 since that didn't come out until 2017. you might have TPM 2.0 but i don't think you'll be getting W11 on it. apparently W11 is only supported on Intel 8th gen and above so that's Coffee Lake from 2017.

martino

maybe 8th gen is only recommended then.
I will try this Windows 11 on my 7700k.
What insider canal tell me is that :
image.png

It seems min spec is recommended.
i doubt i will have a problem 8th gen didn't bring anything meaningfull that could cause problems (correct me if my memory fails me)
Also 7th gen (outside the integrated graphic bringing hevc) was even less an evolution so 6th gen will probably be fine too.

Last edited:
i've joined the windows insider dev channel to hopefully get Windows 11 access next week. no way am i waiting until october or into 2022. i'll run the dev channel for a while then switch to beta until final release.

twilo99

They finally learn. No more hybrid OS. Looking fordward to it. Windows 10 is the most stable OS ever. Comes from someone who started using computers back when Windows 95 was popular.

Yes, they really did a good job with the core in Windows 10 .. hopefully they keep that and clean up the visuals with 11

Do any major game titles run natively on Windows 10\11 ARM? Meaning utilizing ARM CPU/GPU? I am not talking about xcloud or streaming. I mean actual installation of the game (such as Gears, Foza, Flight Simulator, Doom Eternal, RE8) on an ARM laptop?

If so, digital foundry would have done some sort of comparison...

There are no ARM based desktops...

Last edited:

twilo99

Do any major game titles run natively on Windows 10\11 ARM? Meaning utilizing ARM CPU/GPU? I am not talking about xcloud or streaming. I mean actual installation of the game (such as Gears, Foza, Flight Simulator, Doom Eternal, RE8) on an ARM laptop?

If so, digital foundry would have done some sort of comparison...

There are no ARM based desktops...

I think some of the older "mobile" games that were in the store were ARM native but I'm not 100% sure. I'm talking like candy crush or something like that.

I will wait until the first service pack is out.

There are no more service packs, they switched to a different upgrade cadence.. more like a mobile OS.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I think some of the older "mobile" games that were in the store were ARM native but I'm not 100% sure. I'm talking like candy crush or something like that.

There are no more service packs, they switched to a different upgrade cadence.. more like a mobile OS.

Same shit just different names. w10 had its service packs in giant updates. So i will wait for that. Can't be bothered to have issue's 24/7 in the first few months.

twilo99

Same shit just different names. w10 had its service packs in giant updates. So i will wait for that. Can't be bothered to have issue's 24/7 in the first few months.

Well yes, and "windows 11" is a service pack to "windows 10" so I don't there will be any major issues. Just look at the way it installs in the video a few posts above..

Leenzeh

Neo Member
Who's gonna support the Direct storage thing when only 5-6% of players comply with the TPM, NVMe and RTX 3000 / AMD 6000 requirements (and the W11 upgrade).

Banned
Who's gonna support the Direct storage thing when only 5-6% of players comply with the TPM, NVMe and RTX 3000 / AMD 6000 requirements (and the W11 upgrade).

it's a future proving thing. not really needed on PC either as you can get really fast SSDs and fast CPUs, which are the 2 things Direct Storage is designed to compensate in the short term

Leenzeh

Neo Member
Fair enough
it's a future proving thing. not really needed on PC either as you can get really fast SSDs and fast CPUs, which are the 2 things Direct Storage is designed to compensate in the short term
Fair enough.

Also, if W11 requires a fresh install does it mean I gotta re-download and re-install my 100+ games in my different SSD and NVMe drives? Is there any chance Steam/Uplay/Epic just recognize the files there?

Banned
Fair enough

Fair enough.

Also, if W11 requires a fresh install does it mean I gotta re-download and re-install my 100+ games in my different SSD and NVMe drives? Is there any chance Steam/Uplay/Epic just recognize the files there?

if they are not on your boot drive they should still be usable. steam will recognize them I think, Epic will need a trick in order to recognize the games... and Uplay I have no idea... fuck Uplay xD
the Epic store is tricky as mentioned... is it installed on your C drive? and do you have games installed on your C drive?
if your Epic store is installed on a different drive it might just pick up every game and work without any additional work

here a trick for the epic store, in order to trick the store into thinking you re-installed the games (that's the only way currently to get it to recognize them again) if you have them or the store on your C drive:

• Step 1: Rename your "Epic Games" Folders, on your D, E, F drives and so on, to something else... maybe "Epic Games OLD" or something.
  • Step 2: start the download/install process of your game and PAUSE the process shortly after
  • Step 3: Copy/Paste the folder of the game from the "Epic Games OLD" folder in the newly created "Epic Games" folder of the game. So basically if it is "Epic Games\Fortnite" replace it with the "Epic Games OLD\Fortnite" folder on your drive.
  • Step 4: Continue the install, which will result in the store instantly recognizing that the download/install is complete. now your game is recognized again by the Epic Store

sadly this is as far as I know the only current way to do this. this is also what you have to do should you ever want to move your game onto a different drive.
but like I said, if you have the store installed on D or E or something it might just work out of the box. hard to tell

EDIT: IF Steam gives you trouble go to your games library, right click on a game, click on properties and then on local files. there should be an option to verify the integrity of the game.

EDIT2: also of course make sure all your drives still have the same drive letter... so your D drive has to still be your D drive and so on. if the drive letter changes you will have issues with programs finding the path to the installed game/program. if that happens you will alter the path/drive letter in your game's properties menu manually for each and every game

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Well yes, and "windows 11" is a service pack to "windows 10" so I don't there will be any major issues. Just look at the way it installs in the video a few posts above..

We will see, i use my PC for metric ton of things at the same time, so stability is most important over everything. Even a little thing as audio being messed up can cost me dear. So i won't deal with it.

In general with software / hardware wait a little bit before adaption. I waited half a year i think or even a year before i jumped on windows 10, and even then windows 10 in its current form with its updates still messes up my audio system constantly. Microsoft really has to up there game on this front. Security updates are one thing, stability is far more important.

Kenpachii

I did it guys!

SWXNYU6.png

was able to enable:

TPM 2.0
UEFI
Secure Boot

fucking finally.

I dunno what microsoft was thinking, u honestly think your average PC user will go to the bios to mess around with settings just to install or update a new windows? i think the adoption rate of windows 11 is going to suck balls if they don't drop that TPM shit.

zeomax

Well it looks like no W11 for me. Activated PTT and now my PC is not booting. It shows "Preparing automatic repair" and then restart.

reksveks

Pretty sure it's any gpu that supports dx12

Also interested to figure out how you came up with 5/6% number

Well it looks like no W11 for me. Activated PTT and now my PC is not booting. It shows "Preparing automatic repair" and then restart.
Can you get back into bios to turn it off?

did you try enabling secure boot too? I had no problem turning PTT on but Secure Boot didn’t let Windows boot. The problem was I had my BIOS in Legacy not UEFI.

zeomax

Can you get back into bios to turn it off?

did you try enabling secure boot too? I had no problem turning PTT on but Secure Boot didn’t let Windows boot. The problem was I had my BIOS in Legacy not UEFI.
Yes I can turn it off and Windows boots again.
I had Secure Boot always on and BIOS is set to UEFI too. Even my SSD is formated as GPT and not MBR.
Maybe a fresh W11 install will work.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
NEVER install a Windows OS at launch unless you want a lot of unnecessary problems. Wait at least 1 year, better 2. By then:
  1. The OS will be much more stable in general
  2. At least some of the inevitable major security failures will have been identified and patched
  3. 3rd party software will have had the time to adapt to it and properly work on compatibility
  4. Some of the FOMO features Microsoft likes to throw around might have been scaled back to older OS / hardware by then, possibly making your main reason to upgrade to begin with redundant (see DirectX 12, at launch "there were no plans" to have it work on anything other than Windows 10, then it started being supported on 8 and 7 as well)
Alternatively, if the OS turns out to be a complete piece of crap that Microsoft will try to swipe under the rug and replace with a newer one as quickly as possible (which does happen, see Vista and arguably 8), you will have time to realize it and dodge the bullet entirely.

Yes I can turn it off and Windows boots again.
I had Secure Boot always on and BIOS is set to UEFI too. Even my SSD is formated as GPT and not MBR.
Maybe a fresh W11 install will work.
hmm not sure what's happening. check and see if your chipset drivers are up to date? download Intel Management Engine drivers from your board maker.
Windows 10 was suppose to be the last lool
yeah but it isn't so... 🤷‍♂️

Windows 10 has had a good run so far having been out for 6 years. XP got about 5 years and Vista + 7 + 8 (including 8.1) got ~3. It's gonna be supported until 2025 so it's not doing too bad.

I've never had any major problems with W10 and i've been using it since July 2015 but it's dated now. Windows 11 feels like a good next generation update. I reckon they're gonna start releasing updates annually so next year we'll get Windows 12 then 13, 14, 15, etc similar to how MacOS is being released. They are currently on MacOS 11 now with 12 coming out later this year.

NEVER install a Windows OS at launch unless you want a lot of unnecessary problems. Wait at least 1 year, better 2. By then:
  1. The OS will be much more stable in general
  2. At least some of the inevitable major security failures will have been identified and patched
  3. 3rd party software will have had the time to adapt to it and properly work on compatibility
  4. Some of the FOMO features Microsoft likes to throw around might have been scaled back to older OS / hardware by then, possibly making your main reason to upgrade to begin with redundant (see DirectX 12, at launch "there were no plans" to have it work on anything other than Windows 10, then it started being supported on 8 and 7 as well)
Alternatively, if the OS turns out to be a complete piece of crap that Microsoft will try to swipe under the rug and replace with a newer one as quickly as possible (which does happen, see Vista and arguably 8), you will have time to realize it and dodge the bullet entirely.
good advice but i'm jumping in the deep end. I've joined the Dev Insider Channel so I can get access ASAP. I know the risks. Worst case scenario I need to do a clean install to go back to W10 but I got all my important stuff backed up and i have other devices to use if this PC goes down.

Having moved to the dev channel It's already broken my VPN. My internet straight up doesn't work with it installed (even VPN turned off) I think it must be a DNS issue. I'm having to use a browser extension as a work around. Also my audio settings are messed up. volume mixes are all over the place when playing games.

i'll run the Dev channel until Windows 11 is out. if i feel like i want to go back to W10 it's no problem as I can have a clean W10 installation up and running in no time. but yeah sure if people dont feel confident messing about with doing new installations, dual booting, or running unstable software then don't touch it.

Leenzeh

Neo Member
if they are not on your boot drive they should still be usable. steam will recognize them I think, Epic will need a trick in order to recognize the games... and Uplay I have no idea... fuck Uplay xD
the Epic store is tricky as mentioned... is it installed on your C drive? and do you have games installed on your C drive?
if your Epic store is installed on a different drive it might just pick up every game and work without any additional work

here a trick for the epic store, in order to trick the store into thinking you re-installed the games (that's the only way currently to get it to recognize them again) if you have them or the store on your C drive:

• Step 1: Rename your "Epic Games" Folders, on your D, E, F drives and so on, to something else... maybe "Epic Games OLD" or something.
  • Step 2: start the download/install process of your game and PAUSE the process shortly after
  • Step 3: Copy/Paste the folder of the game from the "Epic Games OLD" folder in the newly created "Epic Games" folder of the game. So basically if it is "Epic Games\Fortnite" replace it with the "Epic Games OLD\Fortnite" folder on your drive.
  • Step 4: Continue the install, which will result in the store instantly recognizing that the download/install is complete. now your game is recognized again by the Epic Store

sadly this is as far as I know the only current way to do this. this is also what you have to do should you ever want to move your game onto a different drive.
but like I said, if you have the store installed on D or E or something it might just work out of the box. hard to tell

EDIT: IF Steam gives you trouble go to your games library, right click on a game, click on properties and then on local files. there should be an option to verify the integrity of the game.

EDIT2: also of course make sure all your drives still have the same drive letter... so your D drive has to still be your D drive and so on. if the drive letter changes you will have issues with programs finding the path to the installed game/program. if that happens you will alter the path/drive letter in your game's properties menu manually for each and every game
Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all of the above. I certainly have Windows on a dedicated NVMe while the games are installed on different NVMe and SATA SSD drives. Hopefully Epic and Uplay will be able to pick the games up as easily as Steam does by the time Windows 11 arrives.

W11 will sport a lot of under the hood changes and improvements, it's necessary to perform a fresh install.

Last edited:

Mithos

Pretty much the same here.

I "just" installed the october 20H2 update when the may 21H1 update were being pushed out.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Windows 10 was suppose to be the last lool

A lot has happened in six years, including corona and competitors, etc., including changes inside Microsoft. The PR worth of a refresh like this is of course also an important point on the list. The more I think about it the more sense it makes.

Last edited:
A lot has happened in six years, including corona and competitors, etc., including changes inside Microsoft. The PR worth of a refresh like this is of course also an important point on the list. The more I think about it the more sense it makes.

This shit show so far will not help in fact this could drive even more ppl to competitors hell even i am thinking about switching to linux now and i have not touched a linux distro in decades.

Last edited:

Hoddi

FWIW, I just installed the beta on an old 2014 laptop with an i7-4600U CPU and TPM 1.2. The compatibility app claimed that the CPU was incompatible but the upgrade still went through without a hitch.

I don't know if this will translate to final release but there are loads of people online installing it on unsupported CPUs.

FWIW, I just installed the beta on an old 2014 laptop with an i7-4600U CPU and TPM 1.2. The compatibility app claimed that the CPU was incompatible but the upgrade still went through without a hitch.

I don't know if this will translate to final release but there are loads of people online installing it on unsupported CPUs.
Yeah MS are letting people in who don’t meet the requirements. once 11 releases if you Don’t meet requirements you will need to go back to 10.

Installed w11
  • Start menu cant Pin apps. bits of text cut off. needs A LOT of work.
  • file explorer keeps switching between new and old design
  • clicking stuff freeze settings app. I can hear my fans spinning up as it freaks out
  • audio levels are fucked. quiet then loud.
  • Windows defender keeps turning off So need to keep manually enabling it
  • keep getting a notification to verify my ms account and when I click it crashes
  • xbox app keeps flashing windows
  • desktop icons flickering
  • my vpn app (nord):is completely broken
  • various other apps don’t function properly
  • general sluggish feel navigating
  • inconsistent dark mode….still. task manager is blinding.
  • still loads of old menus that break immersion of the new UI. at least they have round corners now….
  • control panel is still there. Urgh
thats just my initial impression/experience and yes I know it’s a dev build. I knew what I was getting into. Just sharing …. DO NOT install unless you want to deal with broken unstable stuff. as soon as beta channel is available I’m moving to it. my pc ain’t my main device so I don’t really care if it’s a mess for a while.
Free upgrade. The naming scheme is just marketing.

Did you come up with that on your own?
No… that’s official from MS

• Once Windows 11 is generally available, these PCs will be opted out of flighting and will not be able to receive future Windows 11 Insider Preview builds. These PCs must clean install back to Windows 10 with the media (ISOs) that we provide and can then join the Release Preview Channel to preview Windows 10 updates.

Last edited:
Installed w11
  • Start menu cant Pin apps. bits of text cut off. needs A LOT of work.
  • file explorer keeps switching between new and old design
  • clicking stuff freeze settings app. I can hear my fans spinning up as it freaks out
  • audio levels are fucked. quiet then loud.
  • Windows defender keeps turning off So need to keep manually enabling it
  • keep getting a notification to verify my ms account and when I click it crashes
  • xbox app keeps flashing windows
  • desktop icons flickering
  • my vpn app (nord):is completely broken
  • various other apps don’t function properly
  • general sluggish feel navigating
  • inconsistent dark mode….still. task manager is blinding.
  • still loads of old menus that break immersion of the new UI. at least they have round corners now….
  • control panel is still there. Urgh
thats just my initial impression/experience and yes I know it’s a dev build. I knew what I was getting into. Just sharing …. DO NOT install unless you want to deal with broken unstable stuff. as soon as beta channel is available I’m moving to it. my pc ain’t my main device so I don’t really care if it’s a mess for a while.

No… that’s official from MS
can anyone get the insider? Also i prefer the control panel and hope it stays forever. thew other ways are dumbed down imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it play games?
no issues here quickly running a couple games (fortnite/flight sim) but I don’t own every game and it’s just out so maybe some games will have problems. W11 is very unstable right now so very likely there could be issues Playing games.

don’t be installing W11 for gaming just yet. there is a lot of work to be done before people use this.

TheBomb

no issues here quickly running a couple games (fortnite/flight sim) but I don’t own every game and it’s just out so maybe some games will have problems. W11 is very unstable right now so very likely there could be issues Playing games.

don’t be installing W11 for gaming just yet. there is a lot of work to be done before people use this.
Dude, that's a bummer man!

Top Bottom