• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11: The Best Windows Ever for Gaming - Xbox Wire

Armorian

Banned
I don't know what to think, it looks nice i guess

Zrzutekranu202106282.png

So let's start this experiment :messenger_tears_of_joy:

reksveks

will 11 give better performance for those cards? if it was appreciable, that would be a reason to upgrade, maybe.
I am not a game engine programmer, just do some work with python so take my reply with a pinch of salt but Windows 11 is the only Windows os with DirectStorage support and therefore rtx io. In terms of real world performance, windows 11 will probably have significantly increased loading speeds as I can see that being more easily updated on the engine side but not sure about general performance. Feels like that would need more work in terms of engine.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
(From a noob's perspective) Microsoft fucked up with the compatibility requirements. People won't upgrade their hardware in large numbers just to be able to switch to W11. But at least Microsoft won't be able to shove the new Windows down your throat just like they have been doing to Windows 7 users in the past.

nemiroff

Gold Member
a) All laptops have webcams. Just think about that for a few seconds. b) This is most like just to ensure full compatibility with Windows Hello functionality - on paper (because of "a)" it's already in place in practice).

I'm all for consumer rights, but this is seriously low hanging fruit for the urinalists to drum up an issue over a non-issue to drive viewer numbers (by inferring the notion that W11 requires users to have their cams on while using W11, which is ridiculous FUD).

Last edited:

EekTheKat

a) All laptops have webcams. Just think about that for a few seconds. b) This is most like just to ensure full compatibility with Windows Hello functionality - on paper (because of "a)" it's already in place in practice).

I'm all for consumer rights, but this is seriously low hanging fruit for the urinalists to drum up an issue over a non-issue (by inferring the notion that W11 requires users to have their cams on while using W11, which is ridiculous FUD).
The somewhat niche/internet popular Zephyrus G14 doesn't have a built in webcam. Nor do quite a lot of Zephyrus models of late - they sold them as optional USB accessories. Of note Asus does have the capability to use an app hat links your phone as your PC webcam - a phone which typically is a far more competent camera than the tiny built in ones typlically shoehorned in.

Though of note, the G14 2021 model has a fingerprint sensor which does currently work on Windows 10, and is recognized by Windows Hello as a sign in device. The interesting thing about it is that it seems to swipe your finger during power up and logs you in once Windows has finished initial startup/boot.

The only Windows Hello camera I've played with was built in on an HP Spectre, and it wasn't just a standard webcam - it was actually an IR webcam (someone more technically inclined can fill in the details here). In the past there were only a select number of laptops with IR enabled advertised as "Windows Hello" enabled laptops.

Granted this only apply to recent models. Asus probably adjust going forward by 2023, though I'm more inclined to use the fingerprint reader built into the power button on some models over a Windows Hello IR webcam that can take a while longer to read your face.

Reading between the lines with my tin foil hat on I'm inclined to think this is all to pave the way for Microsoft's password-less future. Biometrics for everything login related, 2fa being a simple app prompt yes or no on phones.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The somewhat niche/internet popular Zephyrus G14 doesn't have a built in webcam. Nor do quite a lot of Zephyrus models of late - they sold them as optional USB accessories. Of note Asus does have the capability to use an app hat links your phone as your PC webcam - a phone which typically is a far more competent camera than the tiny built in ones typlically shoehorned in.

Though of note, the G14 2021 model has a fingerprint sensor which does currently work on Windows 10, and is recognized by Windows Hello as a sign in device. The interesting thing about it is that it seems to swipe your finger during power up and logs you in once Windows has finished initial startup/boot.

The only Windows Hello camera I've played with was built in on an HP Spectre, and it wasn't just a standard webcam - it was actually an IR webcam (someone more technically inclined can fill in the details here). In the past there were only a select number of laptops with IR enabled advertised as "Windows Hello" enabled laptops.

Granted this only apply to recent models. Asus probably adjust going forward by 2023, though I'm more inclined to use the fingerprint reader built into the power button on some models over a Windows Hello IR webcam that can take a while longer to read your face.

Reading between the lines with my tin foil hat on I'm inclined to think this is all to pave the way for Microsoft's password-less future. Biometrics for everything login related, 2fa being a simple app prompt yes or no on phones.
Informative and enjoyable to read, easy to respect opinions.. You sir are an excellent poster.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I don't know what to think, it looks nice i guess

Zrzutekranu202106282.png

So let's start this experiment :messenger_tears_of_joy:
All your icons are giving me anxiety, lol. But how does it run so far? I thought about making the switch, but decided I'll just wait until the official launch and what people are saying in the beta.

reksveks

I think another reason for the webcam requirement is for Teams, I don't think it's a big issue and if you are building a desktop then you don't need it.

I am okay with OEM needing higher system requirements

Davevil

I installed W11 via insider beta
For the moment everything seems okay, except small hiccups like the search bar that occasionally doesn't respond

Xane

I am worried over the TPM 2.0 requirement. Not even some modern motherboards support it.
True, but that's exactly what they want to change.
So far, TPM has only really been relevant for business partners as companies have higher security standards, so there was absolutely no drive for mainboard manufacturers to include these chirps in consumer boards.
Now that it's mandatory, it'll likely make TPM widespread enough to become standard.

In my case, my old Asus X99 Deluxe board from like 2014 has a TPM 2.0 module upgrade chip for just 15€.

Xane

rtx 2000 series are also dx12 ultimate capable, just a fyi

1 tb requirement is weird.. dunno what is their intent

ye that's strange. I get that it needs to be nvme, but why 1TB... maybe they are planning to bring quick resume to Windows as well?

My best guess? It's likely that they want a little padding for Windows Updates and other crap filling up the main drive.
I can tell from my own experience with my old 512gb SSD drive, and a Windows installation that has been running since 2014 without any reinstalls, that I had to purge the Windows Update cache multiple times in the past as I ran out of space. However, they did mention that Windows updates are likely to take up less space with Windows 11.. so who knows.

yamaci17

My best guess? It's likely that they want a little padding for Windows Updates and other crap filling up the main drive.
I can tell from my own experience with my old 512gb SSD drive, and a Windows installation that has been running since 2014 without any reinstalls, that I had to purge the Windows Update cache multiple times in the past as I ran out of space. However, they did mention that Windows updates are likely to take up less space with Windows 11.. so who knows.
1 tb requirement is already delisted
dx12 ultimate requrement is also delisted

these are harsh, and never made sense so its only normal that they delisted

rtx 2000 series are also dx12 ultimate capable, just a fyi

1 tb requirement is weird.. dunno what is their intent
i don't think it's anything to do with the capacity. W11 needs 64GB storage so any caching/suspending of files will be part of the OS partition. Windows isn't gonna need 1TB.

it could just be that 1TB drives tend to be better quality than lower capacity drives. i mean they are faster, have bigger buffers, and can handle more read/write operations. if you have a 250GB drive for example and you're constantly reading/writing on it then it's gonna wear out fast. a 1TB will hold up for much longer. i have a 250GB boot drive and the health % drops much faster than my 1TB drive which is where all my games are. i've only had my 250GB drive for 2 years and it's at 97% health. my 1TB drive i bought when Windows 10 came out and i've used that A LOT for gaming and it's still at 100%.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
A few issues I am facing with the preview build. Can someone help out?-

1. The CPU is not going power saving mode properly (5600x). Earlier it used to go as low as 1.7GHz. Now its stuck at ~3.6GHz. Even if power saving mode is selected.
2. Task manager isnt working properly. Hangs and also isnt showing internet usage in performance tab.

1. The CPU is not going power saving mode properly (5600x). Earlier it used to go as low as 1.7GHz. Now its stuck at ~3.6GHz. Even if power saving mode is selected.
2. Task manager isnt working properly. Hangs and also isnt showing internet usage in performance tab.
all i can suggest is going into bios to disable then re enable the setting for dynamic clocks. it might be called "Cool & Quiet". i dont have an AMD cpu so had to google it. On intel it's Speedshift. Also it's likely it could be a driver issue. Make sure your chipset driver is up to date.

same for your internet...disable your wifi or ethernet adapter and turn it back on. again make sure your wifi/ethernet driver is up to date.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
all i can suggest is going into bios to disable then re enable the setting for dynamic clocks. it might be called "Cool & Quiet". i dont have an AMD cpu so had to google it. On intel it's Speedshift. Also it's likely it could be a driver issue. Make sure your chipset driver is up to date.

same for your internet...disable your wifi or ethernet adapter and turn it back on. again make sure your wifi/ethernet driver is up to date.

Tried. Didnt work. Thanks for the help though :)
Also, can you open your display settings? Mine just hangs if I try to do that. Wanted to enable HDR there.

Armorian

Banned
Is directstorage working with preview builds

Yeah but is there a way to benchmark it?

Can you run 3dmark

Yep, it runs pretty much the same as W10

All your icons are giving me anxiety, lol. But how does it run so far? I thought about making the switch, but decided I'll just wait until the official launch and what people are saying in the beta.

It runs surprisingly great and without problems so far. I installed it over W10.

Valonquar

Got the Windows Insider build of 11 installed yesterday. Overall it's mostly just Windows 10 with a fresh coat of paint.

I like the unified "Windows Terminal" for Powershell\Command Prompt\Azure Cloud Shell with tabs and stuff. They are clearly going all in with moving more stuff to the Settings app.

y8cQcBp.png

Control Panel is still present at least.

The new start menu feels like a step backwards. You can't group icons into a single group icon in the start menu now and it seems you can't have more than 18 pinned icons in the start menu. Even if you have recommended items turned off in Settings, it takes up a large amount of space in the start menu where they would be if it was turned on with a message about it being turned off...
VPnEUVI.jpg

The newish feature where you can click hover over re-size button in a window to tell it to pop to a certain size & location works for some windows and not others. Worked in O365 Apps, but not in Teams or Firefox\Chrome.

Last edited:

twilo99

Got the Windows Insider build of 11 installed yesterday. Overall it's mostly just Windows 10 with a fresh coat of paint.

That's exactly what it is.

Real shame about the start menu ..18 pins only? They better add some sort of grouping/folder system.

martino

Even if you have recommended items turned off in Settings, it takes up a large amount of space in the start menu where they would be if it was turned on with a message about it being turned off...
VPnEUVI.jpg
this.
Also my notfication link to take part of the screen screenshot will be missed.
on a more positive note this are good new options
image.png

Valonquar

I found the lack of real options to add those down at the bottom to make it hardly worth it. I guess it could save space for a few more icons in start.

longdi

Banned

i think amd is called global c-states and cppc in bios.

was the power saving working before in W10? could you reinstall amd chipset drivers in W11?

In W10 i had to change to 'best energy saving' in the power settings manual to idle.

Davevil

Does anyone know how to make the submenu that opens in the context menu with the right click by default? I mean the options visible only by clicking on Show More Options (Shift + F10)

Shmunter

Errr is this for real? Despite having TPM & secure boot you still can’t run 11 on CPU’s literally made 3 years ago?

This is some bullshit locking direct storage behind what will have limited adoption for years to come.

Point raised is that ms is primarily interested in licensing to Dell, HP etc. on sales of new systems and don’t give a toss about existing install base as there is no $$$ in free upgrades.

T4rz4

If DirectStorage API is not implemented in games, there's no reason to change unless we get better performance.

martino

Little bump and for information: I'm currently posting from a pc on windows 11 with i7 7700k, without its TPM 2.0 module and secure boot active.
Don't trust people that are after sensational click bait articles / videos.
windows11.png

reksveks

Sadly I think Microsoft won't have a killer app to incentive the upgrade, don't care if its something like loading stuff in halo infinite a lot faster but they should have something for the Windows 11 release.

nemiroff

Gold Member
If DirectStorage API is not implemented in games, there's no reason to change unless we get better performance.

Upgrading to W11 isn't some life altering event that you have to lift weights seven hours a day to prepare for. It's a free update and you basically just click on a button and you're done.

But of course it might be a good idea to hold off a few weeks after official software release until it's cleared for possible 1.0 flaws.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
So far there are 2 thing that bother me about W11:

- stupid new "right click" menu that lacks options (at least they added refresh LOL)
- changing displays using Windows key + P works way worse than on W10 (keyboard arrows doesn't work)

Other than that system looks nice, it's quite stable and... It's just W10 with a new coat of paint :messenger_grinning_smiling:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

I like the unified "Windows Terminal" for Powershell\Command Prompt\Azure Cloud Shell with tabs and stuff. They are clearly going all in with moving more stuff to the Settings app.

y8cQcBp.png

Control Panel is still present at least.

The new start menu feels like a step backwards. You can't group icons into a single group icon in the start menu now and it seems you can't have more than 18 pinned icons in the start menu. Even if you have recommended items turned off in Settings, it takes up a large amount of space in the start menu where they would be if it was turned on with a message about it being turned off...
VPnEUVI.jpg

The newish feature where you can click hover over re-size button in a window to tell it to pop to a certain size & location works for some windows and not others. Worked in O365 Apps, but not in Teams or Firefox\Chrome.
Terminal app was already on W10, could be installed from the store.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Is anyone else also facing these issues-

1. The default photo viewer doesn't work. Hangs when opening a JPEG/PNG etc
2. Task manager hangs when clicked on
3. Display Settings don't open (hang when opened)

Top Bottom