• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11: The Best Windows Ever for Gaming - Xbox Wire

reksveks

^ seems like it might happen, which would be great.

This is bad news and he is right, I hope they fix the file dragging bit to the taskbar.. I use that quite often. The rest of the stuff I can work around.
I have never used it but they should definitely add that back.

ManaByte

Already upgraded my Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Pro. No issues. Everything is working normally.

Nvidia released Win11 drivers a couple of weeks ago and I've been running those in advance.

WitchHunter

When will they finally buy Ghisler for 55.9 thousand million dollars and integrate Total Commander and burn the fucking file explorer in a 15 meter high bonfire?

Ah yes working normally means "windows update error please reinstall windows to fix it for 3678th time"?

Windows gonna winblow. At least with an SSD it's fast.

Cryio

Let's see if Microsoft enables their virtualization security feature by default eventually, so gaming will take a 10-28% performance hit.

W11, outstanding /s

Last edited:

T-Cake

Not a lot happening in the media creation tool. Been stuck at 0% downloading for a few minutes now so I guess I should wait until tomorrow. :p

WitchHunter

W10 is already a gaming only platform for me. Too convoluted to secure, too complex, too much dead weight. Let the game clients kill each other onboard.

twilo99

Already upgraded my Win 10 Pro to Win 11 Pro. No issues. Everything is working normally.

Nvidia released Win11 drivers a couple of weeks ago and I've been running those in advance.

You okay with that taskbar? I think I might have to wait until they bring back some of the features they removed from the one in win10 .. shame because the rest looks really nice.

I wasn't expecting the taskbar to take such a hit to be honest

T-Cake

I did a clean install and it went so smoothly. Well done Microsoft Windows team! My system badly needed a cleanup after installing/uninstalling loads of games over the past couple of years. So much clutter left behind.

reksveks

Let's see if Microsoft enables their virtualization security feature by default eventually, so gaming will take a 10-28% performance hit.

W11, outstanding /s
I am sure that we would have seen an 10% performance hit already if it was a significant issue. I haven't had any issues yet.

Md Ray

Can someone confirm that this is what you see in your 'About' section after installing the final/official release version? Thanks in advance.

Version 21H2
OS build 22000.194
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.194.0

Last edited:

CuNi

I can't wait for the weekend to come so I can reinstall my private PC. Can't do it midweek because of Homeoffice and issues that might come up but once it's Friday evening I'm all in!
Should be enough to get the first kinks ironed out before Monday.

T-Cake

Can someone confirm that this is what you see in your 'About' section after installing the final/official release version? Thanks in advance.

Version 21H2
OS build 22000.194

Yes, that's the same for me.

TitanNut88

Last week I clean-installed windows 10 on my rig as it was starting to be sluggish. Is it worth updating to 11? Shall I make a clean install again or the upgrade from 10 works fine?

Shubh_C63

UI overhauls doesn't concerns me that much, nor are they the pulling factor now.
I doubt W11 will match W10 gaming performance out of the gate. Infact most probably it will be slower.

martino

for asus motherboard owner this is a good link :

asus will possibly save z270 owners (like me)

Last edited:
Updated the other day by joining the release preview channel. No issues! Quite happy with it. No regrets.

if I’m being picky I wish I could disable the recent files list and search bar in the start menu but whatever.

Last edited:
Last week I clean-installed windows 10 on my rig as it was starting to be sluggish. Is it worth updating to 11? Shall I make a clean install again or the upgrade from 10 works fine?
Just upgrade to 11. No need to clean install. If there are any issues you have 10 days to roll back to 10. After that if you wanna go back to 10 you need to do a clean install

T-Cake

The Xbox stuff seems to be in a right pickle. The app now crashes all over the place and won't even recognise you've got a controller connected to play any games via cloud streaming. The Game bar icons are wrongly highlighted (having a bar indicating they're open when they're not) to name just a couple of things.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Sounds like usual with new Windows release. Just don't upgrade for half a year and let others be unpaid beta testers.
Pretty much this. I'll be installing it on my laptop to give it a test run. Won't get anywhere near my desktop until its stable and not ridiculous. Windows 11 reddit appears to be in a small meltdown thus far, too. lol

yamaci17

Version 21H2
OS build 22000.194

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎05-‎Oct-‎21
OS build 22000.194

this is what I see

im liking the w11 so far, if it brings back old style volume mixer as an alternative and if they can make start menu a bit more customizable, i will be even more happy

its a nice change of air, im actually just glad that it didn't bork any stuff so far. its interesting to see all settings / apps / configs are retained from w10 install

i feared that it would downgrade my 2700x's performance but in the games i've played i noticed no regression or progression

oh taskbar labels need to come back...

Last edited:

T-Cake

Does anybody really use the Start Menu anymore? I either pin my most used apps to the taskbar or do a quick Windows key + start typing to find any other program that I may need.

ManaByte

Does anybody really use the Start Menu anymore? I either pin my most used apps to the taskbar or do a quick Windows key + start typing to find any other program that I may need.
Same GIF by Debby Ryan

Thaedolus

The Xbox stuff seems to be in a right pickle. The app now crashes all over the place and won't even recognise you've got a controller connected to play any games via cloud streaming. The Game bar icons are wrongly highlighted (having a bar indicating they're open when they're not) to name just a couple of things.
Making it work is part of the game

ManaByte

Didn’t have any of these problems. Worked perfect for me, and I even streamed my XSX to my PC for a bit.

lefty1117

Gold Member
yeah dude I have gone even further, I barely even use the desktop now in windows 11. I deleted just about all icons except the PC and home explorer, otherwise it's windows key + S and search for the app I want

stranno

I only wanted it for Android Subsystem for Windows and, apparently, Microsoft does not know when it will be ready, even if it was announced years ago. Oh, well.

reksveks

Reading about Microsoft products on Windows Central, Xbox Wire or the Verge is like reading about the state of the Sovjet Union in Pravda.

WINDOWS 11 REVIEW: A FAMILIAR HOME THAT’S STILL BEING RENOVATED

Microsoft’s new OS is a work in progress

Not exactly a glowing title for the Windows 11 review

GreatnessRD

I do. I have my main stuff pinned to the taskbar, but there are other programs I like to use and don't want to clutter my taskbar with 50 pins. Also, the tiles were a nice feature. It was aesthetically pleasant to see.

best windows for gaming?

my xbox controller won't work now. well done microsoft.

i tried updating the firmware over usb which seemed to be working but now i'm trying to play a game the issue is back. i connect to bluetooth and i keep getting a driver error. i don't want to have to run a usb cable...i don't have any long enough to comfortable sit at my desk.

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere its supposed to be after Alder Lake (Intel) releases their new processors in November. Can't remember where I read it, but I'm sure I did.
what intel got to do with it? do their new cpus have some kind of virtualisation that windows needs?

there are so many mobile games i wish i could play on my PC. hope that works.

Top Bottom