• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11: The Best Windows Ever for Gaming - Xbox Wire

Tschumi

Wondering how many people with kneejerk reactions against windows would risk getting themselves banned defending XSX :pie_thinking:

I just think that's an interesting thought i hope it doesn't come across as warring

I just look at windows iteration as a creeping barrier disabling more and more of my favourite childhood games

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

what intel got to do with it? do their new cpus have some kind of virtualisation that windows needs?

there are so many mobile games i wish i could play on my PC. hope that works.
Not sure. I tried looking around to see where I read it off hand, but couldn't find it. Might've been reddit, who knows, unfortunately can't remember. At least we know support for android apps are coming. Just a matter of when.

what intel got to do with it? do their new cpus have some kind of virtualisation that windows needs?

there are so many mobile games i wish i could play on my PC. hope that works.
You know, there are SDKs and "Virtual Machines" that provide you with those features, right?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I may have noticed small differences with BF2042 but that game seemed unoptimized as is.

I just played Back 4 Blood this morning and it ran perfect 4k120 with DLSS quality. I ran an AIDA64 and the L3 latency was higher so there's definitely a penalty occurring. Luckily my HW is powerful enough to have the overhead to overcome that.

I want this fixed ASAP though as I'm not cool with leaving my high end HW performance at a 10%~ penalty because reasons.

Last edited:
Last edited:

twilo99

I don't who is to blame but this should have been caught and fixed in testing. Ryzen isn't exactly obscure.

No idea.. its as if they didn't test this for months before release lol

They are supposed to fix it soon I guess but we will see.

It seems like its not all ryzens, but still, very annoying for those affected.

CuNi

Waiting till the 22nd for the Windows + AMD fix to roll out and then jump right in to Win11.
How's it looking with the current DirectStorage Version?
AFAIK they also talked that Win11 DS will be better than Win10 DS since they also changed a lot under the hood for the IO Stack in W11. Are there any results already available for that?

Been messing around with Win11 for about a week now.

Very underwhelming. I do like the new aesthetic, but ultimately went back to having the start button on the left after trying it centered for a few days. I purposely installed it on a mid tier laptop with an 8th gen i7, 8 gigs of RAM and an m.2 ssd - it performs noticeably worse than Win10 when doing simple tasks, but not to an absurd level. When I try to tax it a bit more it performs more in line with Win10 which is interesting.

I would not recommend installing on your main PC for now, but if you're really interested in testing it out, put it on a spare PC (if you have one) otherwise it's not worth it now.

Chiggs

In some synthetic benchmarks, yes.

Patches for both of the Ryzen issues are coming before the end of the month, though. The L3 cache issue will likely be addressed next week by Microsoft, with rumors suggesting October 19th for a patch. The preferred core patch will be addressed by an AMD driver, which is expected to be delivered later this month and will hopefully be available on Windows Update as soon as it’s released.

Glad the fix is coming quick.

Last edited:

sendit

I recommend this handy tool to install Windows 11 on an unsupported machine. You open it, select Windows 11, Auto Setup, done. It downloads the official MS Media Creation Tool and Windows ISO, and modifies the installer script on the fly.

MediaCreationTool.bat on GitHub

I recommend people not to install Windows 11 (atleast not until they bring back missing features). The biggest improvement to gaming in a long time in the PC space is DirectStorage will also be supported by Windows 10.

Pro tip:

1TFsG2N.jpg

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm happy to report that HDR implementation seems much improved, and for the first time I'm leaving it on.. A moment ago I played CP2077 in HDR with Ray tracing and a little bit of ReShade, it was frikkin godly looking.

Oh, and also auto-HDR, didn't see that coming, but it works pretty good considering it's..automatic..

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I recommend people not to install Windows 11 (atleast not until they bring back missing features). The biggest improvement to gaming in a long time in the PC space is DirectStorage will also be supported by Windows 10.

Pro tip:

1TFsG2N.jpg
Lol, no thanks. I quite like Windows 11. I spend 8 hours a day supporting hundreds of people on Windows 10 machines, and I'll take any excuse not to look at the same system at home :)

Last edited:

sendit

Lol, no thanks. I quite like Windows 11. I spend 8 hours a day supporting hundreds of people on Windows 10 machines, and I'll take any excuse not to look at the same system at home :)
Agreed. If I had to support hundreds of people on Windows 10, I too would also want to use a more limited OS (Windows 11).

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Windows 11 is finally here. The update brings a fresh new design, visual changes throughout the interface, and widgets for glanceable news, weather and other handy information. But is it worth upgrading right away?

SenaxxNL

Same, upgraded a few days after final release and no problems. Running a i5-11600K with 3080FE. Gaming performance is afaik equal. Must say i like the visual overhaul and the better control panel. Touch of Vista glass is back.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As someone who upgrades once the OS is well within it's life cycle (unless feature is exclusive for a killer app) I have to ask why would you jump onto a new version of Windows so early?

Even Microsoft have decided to only alert people to their free upgrade entitlement once they are happy that it's stable (hence why all the windows 10 users arnt getting a pop up when they start saying "yo dog do you know you can get windows 11 for free?").

As someone with a 5900x I don't want to see 20% of my performance go bye bye even it will be only a small difference in a majority of games. Just wait and see... it might be dropped like Windows ME and 8.

Last edited:
As someone who upgrades once the OS is well within it's life cycle (unless feature is exclusive for a killer app) I have to ask why would you jump onto a new version of Windows so early?

Even Microsoft have decided to only alert people to their free upgrade entitlement once they are happy that it's stable (hence why all the windows 10 users arnt getting a pop up when they start saying "yo dog do you know you can get windows 11 for free?").

As someone with a 5900x I don't want to see 20% of my performance go bye bye even it will be only a small difference in a majority of games. Just wait and see... it might be dropped like Windows ME and 8.

Early adopter syndrome.

twilo99

Its not really a new version.. its a service pack with some nice (subjective) visual changes to the UX. Its Windows 10 with a new skin and a few new features.

Its nothing like 95 to XP, or XP to 7

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't who is to blame but this should have been caught and fixed in testing. Ryzen isn't exactly obscure.
I know it's all not ryzen fault but fuck me, I would just get 9900k instead of 3700x when I was upgrading my pc.
I've got x570 and 3700x on release and I've had so many problems... I know most software devs are at fault but it's been 2 years and many stuff still just works better on intel

nemiroff

Gold Member

Here's how the W11 process went for me:

I downloaded the installer and started the update. I went to have a coffee. I came back, the update was finished. I found a nice wallpaper on the net while taking moments gazing at the rounded window corners. I played a couple of games, my life went on. True story.

I'm a W11 survivor.

twilo99

Here's how the W11 process went for me:

I downloaded the installer and started the update. I went to have a coffee. I came back, the update was finished. I found a nice wallpaper on the net while taking moments gazing at the rounded window corners. I played a couple of games, my life went on. True story.

I'm a W11 survivor.

I think this is how it would go for most people, its not that big of a deal this time around.

twilo99

For those of you thinking this is a "new version" of Windows, this comments explains well why its basically Windows 10

have they made changes to the kernel? it boots faster, apps load faster
also i heard it takes up less memory OS footprint on RAM? i like it so far

MrFunSocks

Banned

We like new things. This is really just a refinement of windows 10. Moving more things to modern designs.

It's deadset a 2 minute upgrade. It's not like going from 7 to 8 or 8 to 10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom