• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11 vs. Windows 10

Caffeine

anyway win 11 has been fine only a couple instances of a driver having an issue like this netgear wifi adapter i have but i think thats cause netgear hasnt actually released an updated driver.

what if windows 12 has some bullshit requirement like windows 11 TPM 2.0 thing.

Like: latest zen 5 AI CPU or Meteor Lake /Arrow Lake CPU with integrated AI (some sort of NPU)

what if windows 12 has some bullshit requirement like windows 11 TPM 2.0 thing.

Like: latest zen 5 AI CPU or Meteor Lake /Arrow Lake CPU with integrated AI (some sort of NPU)
I don't think the neural/ai requirement thing is going to happen, but I can see them double decking the security requirements.

In reality TPM 2.0 doesn't do much in regards to the systems security, and windows has too many vulnerabilities, a lot of them part of it's legacy systems, lousy implementation or hacky nature of some things. So it's easy for them to offset their own security (which is where they should focus) and try to enforce and rely on hardware features that promise to solve their issues. Selling new hardware doesn't hurt too, as that also means more software being sold with windows coming pre-installed a lot of the times.

The fact that nearly every CPU is compromised now in one way or the other just adds to the cat and mouse chase, but the only reason it's worse on Windows than it is on Linux and MacOS lies with the OS itself and that's not going to get fixed with their kernel, just tentatively mitigated.

AI processing units are an exciting prospect might I add, but not for that.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I bit the bullet and upgraded to Win 11 because I built a new PC and wanted everything to be new-new.

It fucking sucks. It's just buggy. Dumb normal stuff just doesn't work anymore. Games don't always open in full screen like they're supposed to. A lot of interface options are gone. Nothing about it is better.

I don't know why Windows does this "every other version is shit" thing, but they're so incredibly consistent with it for nearly 30 years now that I think it has to be deliberate.

I bit the bullet and upgraded to Win 11 because I built a new PC and wanted everything to be new-new.

It fucking sucks. It's just buggy. Dumb normal stuff just doesn't work anymore. Games don't always open in full screen like they're supposed to. A lot of interface options are gone. Nothing about it is better.

I don't know why Windows does this "every other version is shit" thing, but they're so incredibly consistent with it for nearly 30 years now that I think it has to be deliberate.
The issue is that whenever they strike a good balance and then release something new, they feel they have to change things in order for it to feel new. Windows 10 was a good product through it's cycle and it actually kept getting better. They only had to focus on the stuff it didn't do or didn't do as well as other OS's and make them exclusive to windows 11 if they wanted to force it's adoption. Explorer with tabs, new task manager, getting rid of the old control panel, all these things they didn't have ready at launch.

So instead of an incremental familiar evolution that you don't feel going forward, but would feel if you went backwards (try windows 7 now, or even the first windows 10 release and you'll see)

Instead you have a good release and then a shit one done by people who don't get it. Windows 11 UI ideas were lifted from Windows 10X which was meant for, you guessed it: tablets. There's a reason it wasn't it's own OS... It feels like a fisherprice UI.

It's also the second time they fall for this shit as Windows 8 was crap (albeit not as bad as people made it out to be) because they chose to target tablets/touch. Windows 8 to it's credit did more incremental under the hood modifications "scaling, tile ui, ultra high defintion display support, metro apps, RT version) that are still there to this day, windows 11 at launch was all cosmetic.

They're forcing a tablet mode onto people on a desktop. And when you look at it that way, stuff like not being able to have the start menu on top suddenly make sense. For a tablet.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
The issue is that whenever they strike a good balance and then release something new, they feel they have to change things in order for it to feel new. Windows 10 was a good product through it's cycle and it actually kept getting better. They only had to focus on the stuff it didn't do or didn't do as well as other OS's and make them exclusive to windows 11 if they wanted to force it's adoption. Explorer with tabs, new task manager, getting rid of the old control panel, all these things they didn't have ready at launch.

So instead of an incremental familiar evolution that you don't feel going forward, but would feel if you went backwards (try windows 7 now, or even the first windows 10 release and you'll see)

Instead you have a good release and then a shit one done by people who don't get it. Windows 11 UI ideas were lifted from Windows 10X which was meant for, you guessed it: tablets. There's a reason it wasn't it's own OS... It feels like a fisherprice UI.

It's also the second time they fall for this shit as Windows 8 was crap (albeit not as bad as people made it out to be) because they chose to target tablets/touch. Windows 8 to it's credit did more incremental under the hood modifications "scaling, tile ui, ultra high defintion display support, metro apps, RT version) that are still there to this day, windows 11 at launch was all cosmetic.

They're forcing a tablet mode onto people on a desktop. And when you look at it that way, stuff like not being able to have the start menu on top suddenly make sense. For a tablet.
And yet people keep eating all the shit microsoft throws at them, instead of staying with the superior product.

Top Bottom