• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11 vs. Windows 10

This is good to hear. I use my two monitors to drag and drop frequently. I'll update to Win11 in another two weeks or so. Gotta wait for my BAT to get in my wallet first.

Sidenote - I know you're hurt after giving up the 2080. GPU market has been quite the disaster. But look on the bright side, you're closing to those Lovelace and RDNA3 GPUs!

Jesus, I can only imagine how insane the next GPUs will be. I hope AMD step up their game on machine learning and ray tracing.

GreatnessRD

Jesus, I can only imagine how insane the next GPUs will be. I hope AMD step up their game on machine learning and ray tracing.
If the 6000 series is anything to go by, I firmly believe AMD gonna bring the smoke with their MCM chips next year. ML and Raytracing will be better for sure. Just hoping the cards won't be 600w GPUs. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

twilo99

If you are building a new rig, I'll definitely go with Windows 11.

If your PC is running well with Win10, which should be the case considering how good win10 overall, there is no reason to update just yet.

I been using it for a few weeks now and I haven't had any issues at all. Aside from the menu being at the bottom of the screen/different I wouldn't even know I wasn't on 10.

I do like the multi desktop thing since I have wide screen monitors going, I pretty much can flip between a work setup/play setup instantly.

T8SC

what is vbs ?

I honestly miss vista (with service packs)

the-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-will-smith.gif

Last edited:
Vista was SUCH AN IMPROVEMENT over XP. People loved W7 because they skipped Vista, but most of the cool stuff in W7 came from Vista anyway.

Back to topic: Did a clean install for W11 on my 5700 XT / R5 3600 PC. Worst just as fine as W10. Played DX9, DX12, Vulkan and PCSX2, RPCS3 and Dolphin. Everything works just as fine as they did on W10.
What about old windows games? Like stuff like Legacy of Kain Blood Omen, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Dungeon siege, Swat 4, Quake 2, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Kotor, Morrowind, etc...

I know old 16bit windows games will have issues as they do with win10 but what about the older 32 bit games like mentioned?
Also did the ryzen glitch get fixed?

Cryio

What about old windows games? Like stuff like Legacy of Kain Blood Omen, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Dungeon siege, Swat 4, Quake 2, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Kotor, Morrowind, etc...

I know old 16bit windows games will have issues as they do with win10 but what about the older 32 bit games like mentioned?
Also did the ryzen glitch get fixed?
The much discussed Ryzen regression got a Windows update and a chipset update, so it's fixed. Didn't feel a difference before these updates either way though.

As for games, the oldest games I played natively in the last year and not through emulation have been ... Spider-Man 2000, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Blood Omen 2 and Splinter Cell 1 (all of them being DX8.1 games). They worked just fined, but I always use 3rd party fixes for these old games (DgVodoo, DXVK for ex) to bring them up to standards and easier to mod for better visuals, etc.

Last edited:
We will see. Leaks say that RDNA3 will have 240 cu's and 60 tflops- and from what we know AMD solution to raytracing is tied to cu's. Could be huge improvement but Nvidia won't stay still, so there's that too. Take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just installed it upgrading from Windows 10 on my unsupported PC thanks to this MediaCreationTool. It took like one click, went without a hitch and seems to function as before no different to some of the larger Windows 10 version updates. The new Start and such do take a while to get used to but I got it how I had it before (sans functions it doesn't have, you cannot make different groups and folder style arranging in the pinned programs so I dumped it all in the order I want instead). I also disabled some new stuff from startup (Microsoft Teams). My current annoyance is the right click context menu with that "show more options" deal, I just want everything on the first click. Widgets were broken too but I just disabled it all as usual. Also, why do I have to scroll twice for my pinned to Start items when there's plenthy empty space to show it all instead of that Recommended stuff.

Last edited:
Just installed it upgrading from Windows 10 on my unsupported PC thanks to this MediaCreationTool. It took like one click, went without a hitch and seems to function as before no different to some of the larger Windows 10 version updates. The new Start and such do take a while to get used to but I got it how I had it before (sans functions it doesn't have, you cannot make different groups and folder style arranging in the pinned programs so I dumped it all in the order I want instead). I also disabled some new stuff from startup (Microsoft Teams). My current annoyance is the right click context menu with that "show more options" deal, I just want everything on the first click. Widgets were broken too but I just disabled it all as usual. Also, why do I have to scroll twice for my pinned to Start items when there's plenthy empty space to show it all instead of that Recommended stuff.
Installed it on an unsupported machine I have this weekend too, and not on the work machines I have. (16 GB of RAM, unsupported CPU)

I'll try it further, but I really don't feel like it increases productivity. The GUI changes don't feel like overdue improvements to me.

I understand what they're trying to do with the centered start menu, but it reminds me of Windows 8 focus on tablet that made it lackluster and the thing is this would all be passable if they just gave people the option

As for early failings on it, deleting default icons I don't need on the taskbar is not easy, I don't care about the chat one, tried to right click it, drag it out of the bar, to no avail, turns out it's down to an options menu and you can only turn it off. If they did a menu like that with toggles for stuff that can't be deleted, I reckon desktop "my Documents" shortcut and "my computer" should be there, seeing they are still stuck on a Windows Vista leftover menu somewhere.

Settings should be on the start menu bar at all times by default. Side menu is not improved.

On another note, UI is still too big, and they're clearly ditching some of the options to regulate it properly, it feels like it's made for 22/24" 1080p displays as those are the only ones "right" with 100% scaling.

Smaller screens with HD (720p or 768p) low resolution? 100% scaling is too big, 75% continues to be unavailable (100% means 96 ppi, so I don't understand why a 72 dpi continues to be absent), and laptops with 1080p screens? well, 125% scaling is mandatory then, but creates artifacts. It's not something Windows 10 doesn't do, but windows 11 seems "bigger" to me, so productivity falls if under/lower than 1080p.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Using 11 and got only one weird issue.
I hear "beep" sound and mouse stutters. Pretty weird. few times an hour at random

Using 11 and got only one weird issue.
I hear "beep" sound and mouse stutters. Pretty weird. few times an hour at random

I get that mouse stutter on the odd occasion, only issue I've had with 11 so far. Oddly enough it's never done it when gaming, just when browsing the web or UI

1)The right click "show more options" context menu is annoying.
swEJcpC.jpg

2) Fluent design using acrylic needs more work. I want the transparency effects on MS Edge Browser, File manager. Its much better than Windows 10, however.
3) Live Tiles are gone thank God.
4) They are trying to make this OS more colorful, popping, bubbly, but are they trying to be more like Android 12 or windows 7? Pick one MS!! I prefer the acrylic/glass/aero/transparency/frost/gaussian blur
5) Win 11 boots fuck ton faster, runs app faster, updates faster, has more snappy fluid feel
6) Icon design is much better. Windows 10 icons look like a 2 year old made them

Last edited:
Windows 11 on the new MacbookPro review:

MS needs to create some sort transition software tool like Rosetta that can convert x86 games to run NATIVELY on ARM processors. So perhaps games that utilize:

DirectX12Ultimate Package x86---->MS Rosetta like software conversion tool for Windows 11---->DirectXultimatePackage ARM

nani17

are in a big trouble
Got it and straight away got Startallback it gives you back the start menu and the right click options you had in windows 10

Got it and straight away got Startallback it gives you back the start menu and the right click options you had in windows 10
Its beautiful
hPuD841.jpg

Says in the website it also had windows 7 theme. Do they bring back the full aero/glass transparency effects?

We will see. Leaks say that RDNA3 will have 240 cu's and 60 tflops- and from what we know AMD solution to raytracing is tied to cu's. Could be huge improvement but Nvidia won't stay still, so there's that too. Take it with a grain of salt.
Haven't they completely changed the architecture design? It's no longer CUs but rather GCDs with the Shade Arrays, Shader Engines (in Arrays), Work Group Processors and SIMD units for the WGPs?

I mean, you can equivalate that to the RDNA2 design anyway tbh (ex. 40 SIMD units would be equal to 5 CUs) but some of the leaks from around summer were showing a different setup not referring to CUs at all.

Any conflict WRT Windows Update, manufacturer updates, anti-virus or just other things in general? I'm considering upgrading to 11 in the near future if it's actually snappier than 10 like some others have said, but the odd quirks with certain UI don't have me enthused.

At the same time, I don't want to run a ton of debloaters either, don't want to potentially compromise system stability or security .

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Haven't they completely changed the architecture design? It's no longer CUs but rather GCDs with the Shade Arrays, Shader Engines (in Arrays), Work Group Processors and SIMD units for the WGPs?

I mean, you can equivalate that to the RDNA2 design anyway tbh (ex. 40 SIMD units would be equal to 5 CUs) but some of the leaks from around summer were showing a different setup not referring to CUs at all.

Any conflict WRT Windows Update, manufacturer updates, anti-virus or just other things in general? I'm considering upgrading to 11 in the near future if it's actually snappier than 10 like some others have said, but the odd quirks with certain UI don't have me enthused.

At the same time, I don't want to run a ton of debloaters either, don't want to potentially compromise system stability or security .
They're saying gaming results aren't as good as they were claiming

SkylineRKR

No where close to that.

It was bad at release but after become a solid OS with many features not found in the capped successor.

BTW worst Windows should be ME imo.

All windows releases pre-Vista are worse than Vista.

We've used them all in the past. Vista was extremely good in fact. It was eventually the same as what would later become Windows 7 which everyone and their dog loved. I remember local network setups and wireless setups were annoying on XP, and mediaserver etc was that even possible on XP? Vista simplified this all. Windows 10 is a lot like Windows 7 in terms of simplicity, and Win 7 is Vista 2.0.

The issue I had with all previous Windows was, besides them being cumbersome and performance slowing down over time, they all crashed. A lot. 95, 98, ME... especially ME would go down the shitter after a few weeks of usage. XP also had lots of issues also, in the beginning driver issues, mouse lag etc. XP was more stable than 9x but still not there yet. Windows 2000 and NT were the most stable Windows up to that point but not really suited for home usage and gaming.

At work we went NT, 2000, XP and then 7 and now 10. Vista was skipped. But yeah I was glad we finally dumped XP and went to 7.

Last edited:

rnlval

So far loving Windows 11. I initially hated it because there was this horrible window dragging bug where if you attempted to drag one window from one screen to the next it would freeze, your mouse would get duplicated, and your entire PC would become unresponsive for about 30 or more seconds. I recreated the issue 15 times back to back.

I can report that this no longer happens to me after updates.

Setup is

Ryzen 7 3800X
Rog Strix x570-e gaming motherboard
Corsair Force MP600 1TB NVMe
64GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600
AMD RX580 (the wimp of my setup) lol. I had better than this GPU, an RTX 2080, but then I gave it away thinking I'd definitely get a RTX 3000. How foolish I was. :p

Dragging windows across different monitors are fine for my Windows 11 PCs with RTX 3080 Ti and RTX 2080 Ti.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Can anyone tell me if they have finally made file sharing over a network less retarded? They got rid of homegroup and managed to make file sharing obnoxiously restricted. Just let me have a damn folder I can drag and drop to.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I find it crazy that windows 95 menus and settings are STILL THERE.
Network settings, mouse settings and many deep settings are all there in the same old windows.
Makes it feel like win95 with extra steps :p

Anyway - I like the new 11. I still think Vista looked better but it's fine.

The only gripe I have aside from mouse stutter/beep sound, is the gradient banding on some of semi transparent windows

Regardless of the video and how well or not it behaves with gaming, Windows 11 is a piece of shit for professional workflows.

it's a case of wanting a bear and getting winnie the pooh with blue overtones. Windows 10 wasn't perfect but it was getting to an usable state, then they did dozens of changes that didn't improve anything and made it worse. But hey, it looks better on a tablet.

All of the cosmetic changes have no real advantages other than differentiation, so the advantage is what they didn't change and are continuing to update in some cases exclusively for it.
I think Windows 10 is the best Windows ever. I have little issues with it. I mainly use my M1 nowadays but I still have a Win 10 notebook that is useful for certain things (like downloading files etc). Might update it soon.
It kinda was, yes. Specially if you take into account how far it got since launch.

Most things improved, that's saying a lot. The only downfall was that it was still Windows. They also didn't take away features from previous releases, which is something windows 11 excels at. Specially if they run into any bugs.

The windows bar on top option being nuked? It broke the shitty widget that tells time. That's the whole story of why they nuked it. (bug is also present on Windows 10). You want journaled backups? only if it's on "my documents" or "desktop" folders, but hey if you buy one drive we'll do it on the cloud without restrictions.

The sidebar being nuked is unexplainable, as is that the OS seems so obsessed about filling the center of the screen.

It's shit.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Don't mind using Windows 11. It's nice and snappy fast.

But like anything, 1 step forward, 2 steps backwards. Like FUBARing the taskbar so much, they can't have weather, etc, on it like they did with Win10, and the only way to have a poor version of it now in the preview build, is if you use the hideous centered icon layout.

I mean, come the F on MS.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
*sees all the Windows complaints*

*laughs in Linux*

*also cries in Linux*
(but hey, the pros far outweigh the cons for me)

After Windows 10 I'll go full Linux.

Proton on Deck convinced me I don't need to put up with Windows anymore.
Go for it!

And don't be afraid to ask people if you need help with sth. gamingonlinux.com has a super friendly & helpful community, for example.

Last edited:
After Windows 10 I'll go full Linux.

Proton on Deck convinced me I don't need to put up with Windows anymore.
If they managed to run Adobe apps as if they were native without the use of bottles and stuff I'm all in as well.

Windows doesn't even have a roadmap, but it's heading towards not improving, which is alarming because in reality since Windows NT5/2000 it was never even good to begin with.

EDIT: I tried ChromeOS recently and felt it was getting somewhere. If they integrate native linux apps do away with web apps and tailor it towards desktop perhaps they'll have a windows killer in 5-10 years. One that can attract professional software that is. The whole issue with Linux is that companies don't release real productivity tools for it, only the open source variants.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
11 has been fine, but a heads up to anyone, my audio resets back to STEREO from 5.1 and to the worst quality every time Windows Updates, just check your settings, might have happened to you too.

Also my desktop doesn't auto refresh when new icons are added, none of the fixes I've found work, only slightly annoying though.

Last edited:

Skifi28

*sees all the Windows complaints*

*laughs in Linux*

*also cries in Linux*
(but hey, the pros far outweigh the cons for me)

Go for it!

And don't be afraid to ask people if you need help with sth. gamingonlinux.com has a super friendly & helpful community, for example.

*enters windows thread*

1bjiDJL.jpg

You should see all the Linux complaints. And not just for games.

Edit: That's coming from somebody that also uses Linux. It can be an alternative, but you'll have to work for it.

Last edited:

hlm666

I only recently decided to install it myself. Performance wise it feels like they have done some work there, minor stuff it just feels a little snappier. I also noticed that some network drives to an old windows 7 machine (it's my htpc not breaking it still does what it needs to) don't fail to connect randomly like my win 10 install on the same machine did. Gaming havn't noticed any problems maybe minor improvements but it's negligible but it's not worse.

Explorer/UI is god tier fucked, they have doubled down on this icon only mobile like driven shit where they can. I'm looking at finding some explorer.exe replacement.

Top Bottom