• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: Has Xbox and Ninja Theory's 'Bleeding Edge' been abandoned?

Iced Arcade

Yeah that game wasn't appealing at all
Another flop with MS stamp on it

EfKWeQFXkAAy_Z5
man you are embarrassing, go talk to a female or something.

Last edited:
Let´s just hope, Sony´s Destruction Debbie Downer Allstars will at least recoup 50% or more back. Seems to me Sony´s Bleeding Edge with cars (looks fun, looks nice but not €80 of niceness).

These companies are dumb af.

Speaking of Destruction All Stars, do we even know what it is yet? I’ve seen and heard literally nothing on it and it supposed to be at launch.

Havoc2049

It took off like a rocket but crashed back to earth quickly. It just doesn’t make a bunch of sense to keep it on life support for a long time. Especially when that team could be put to work on Avowed or their other RPG.

Grounded hasn't even been released yet and is still in beta and part of the Game Preview Program.

Honestly, instead of Bleeding Edge, I would of had all branches, parts or bodies of Ninja Theory working feverishly on Hellblade 2 to get it out for or beer launch. At least there’s a chance that will be solid to good.

I need to go back to experience the dolphin character. Also what the fuck is this flop talk? It was a $30 passion project. Not everything needs micro transactions and millions in sales 😆

wipeout364

Bleeding Edge is super fun, I really enjoyed the time I spent with it. I think the biggest problems it has are the skill gap between teams and people who solo queue. People constantly say the game was bare-bones and shallow but actually there were a lot of interesting strategies based around team synergy, and if your team knew what they were doing even slightly and you don't know your character well then you are going to get demolished.

Similarly, if you are playing on a team with randoms against a team that is actually talking to each other you are going to lose. Flat out, communication is so terribly crucial and absolutely nobody is in game chat. Even being on a team comprised of 3 people in a party plus a random will always lose if the other team has all four people talking. It resulted in a lot of instances of either completely mopping the floor with the other team or getting your teeth kicked it. The final score of a match is rarely close unless you are a full team versus another full team.

Other than lacking on the content front I have very little negative to say about Bleeding Edge, it accomplishes what they were trying to go for and can be a real joy when you know what you're doing, but it was seemingly designed for an audience that barely exists, such a shame. I'd love to live in the world where it got its due.
I agree completely I put a few hours in but I was playing as a single player. The game mechanics are too complex to solo, it needs team work and a large pool of players to pull from to achieve balanced games. Games like this live and die by player counts, if they can’t deliver balanced games they will quickly lose new players. I jumped ship as I went through this with Battleborn(RIP) and it just becomes too frustrating getting stomped by an organized team.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

i'm sorry

i'm sorry that the meme hurt your feelings sweety, and maybe you clown should take your own advise instead on talking to me
Oh no hard feelings.

As for the second part of your reply...I can't decipher sooo I'll take it as a sign of brotherly love. #hugs let's co-op ghost

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Speaking of Destruction All Stars, do we even know what it is yet? I’ve seen and heard literally nothing on it and it supposed to be at launch.

Except for the trailer back in june? Nothing ... i don´t believe Sony even cares at all. As F2P could work, for a while ... but at $70+ ... is ded since june 2020.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It was a fun but very frustrating game. If you were losing, i mean you were getting demolished. don't even think about solo queueing. Even then, I've almost torched friendships over this game.

Redlancet

Banned
I find this stat to be a little convoluted. I played Grounded, Sea Of Thieves, & Bleeding Edge at launch. I didn't pay a dime and probably enjoyed B.E the most. But here's the thing, touting the number of players across platforms "at launch" doesn't seem like a sustainable way to measure the success of the game. Especially when the drop off is so steep and online multi gets increasingly hard to get into because of the severely lowered player count. I remember Crackdown having a decent number at launch and within a week I couldn't get a match.

If you check Steam right now Grounded has less than one thousand players, right now.

fAKopfY.jpg
I loved when they used grounded as a example of anything sucessfull because fue usual ms launch spin numbers

j0hnnix

Gold Member
I enjoyed it the few times I played it. Did I invest the time I did on overwatch not at all. it was fun a few times but never grabbed me. I feel like I enjoyed BattleBorn more than BE(even the name escapes me while in this thread).

Alx

For all the criticism it's getting, I did enjoy the wacky character designs in the game. Maybe the thing I liked most actually, as the game itself isn't my cup of tea (neither was Overwatch, so it didn't come as a surprise).
As was mentioned before, if you're just playing with random and/or unskilled, you don't really feel in control of what's happening, and either get crushed by a team that knows what it's doing, or play against players that are just as clueless and have a boring match. That's how it was the first days after release, didn't try it since then (and probably won't).

CAB_Life

Character designs were bad and the mechanics were clunky. I played for all of 5 minutes and went “nope”.

Roberts

I actually played it and got all achievements. I can totally see why some people might not enjoy it, but it was clearly overhated by people who never even bothered to check it out.

There was something refreshing about the melee combat and it's quite possible that I stuck with it only because finally there was a competitive game that I was good at. That said, it was a game that needed updates way more often than it did.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Bleeding edge? More like bleeding players. Bleeding money.
Bleeding Microsoft dry with an utter failure of a game.
Guys I cannot even, just, what a fucking mess you know.
Looking at this, awful awful awful, 100% awful.
I mean what the heck were they thinking. My first scribbles looked better than this shit haha.
Jeez.

MastaKiiLA

Interesting. Does GamePass run the risk of flooding the market with these kinds of multiplayer games, where you can't sustain packed lobbies in most games, and they end up falling off the map? I feel like it gives more of those types of games a chance to succeed, but sustainability might prove problematic simply because the GP userbase will have an ever-growing number of options available. You might end up with many fly-by-night successes that are hot one minute, and then dead in a few months. Then again, is this the general fate of all multiplayer-centric games, irrespective of GP-like services?

Bleeding edge? More like bleeding players. Bleeding money.
Bleeding Microsoft dry with an utter failure of a game.
Guys I cannot even, just, what a fucking mess you know.
Looking at this, awful awful awful, 100% awful.
I mean what the heck were they thinking. My first scribbles looked better than this shit haha.
Jeez.

Whenever I see Western cartoon art like this my mind compares it to Escaflowne. :messenger_fearful:

Spaceman292

Banned
All jokes aside. Bleeding Edge seemed more of a passion project for Ninja Theory than anything else.
An online pvp game isn't good for a passion project. Make a single player thing thay won't be dead in three weeks so that it has a chance to gather a few fans as time goes by.

Vyndktvx

Neo Member
I never understood this game. It was clearly going to be DOA. There was absolutely no market for this. The gameplay was simply boring and character designs were also pretty bad.

I understand that this was in development prior to the acquisition and I respect XGS’ hands off approach to studio management but at a certain point you need to give someone the no go. I don’t expected Grounded to get too much support either.
It was a passion project they were making before MS bought them, and MS let them finish it. Same deal with Grounded over at Obsidian (which seems to be fairing better). If the first thing MS had done after buying NT was cancel a game everyone here would’ve shit their pants and claimed Bleeding Edge was their “most hyped for game ever” just like what happened with Scalebound. NT should’ve scrapped this one themselves though, no fucking clue what they were thinking.

Redlancet

Banned
I never understood this game. It was clearly going to be DOA. There was absolutely no market for this. The gameplay was simply boring and character designs were also pretty bad.
you need to fill gamepass with all the shit you can get,ms its throwing shit at a wall and hoping some of it sticks,they want a rocket league,a fall guys,etc cheap games who can make a lot of money and popularity

you need to fill gamepass with all the shit you can get,ms its throwing shit at a wall and hoping some of it sticks,they want a rocket league,a fall guys,etc cheap games who can make a lot of money and popularity
Day and date at least once a week so you keep in top of the news cycle! Just get all that shovelware out fast!

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Let´s just hope, Sony´s Destruction Debbie Downer Allstars will at least recoup 50% or more back. Seems to me Sony´s Bleeding Edge with cars (looks fun, looks nice but not €80 of niceness).

These companies are dumb af.

Well, DDA already looks like much more fun then Bleeding Edge. Day One for me, as someone who also likes Wreckfest on the PC.

Kssio_Aug

Expected. I never really understood the minor hype some friends had for this game... never intended to play it myself. Some games seems so obvious to me that won't be able to offer enough playerbase in a short period if time.

Alx

An online pvp game isn't good for a passion project. Make a single player thing thay won't be dead in three weeks so that it has a chance to gather a few fans as time goes by.

It worked for Respawn with Apex Legends. Can't blame them for trying.

Hestar69

I've loved every ninja theory game they've made (yes even DMC) but this game was AWFUL. After 2 games it got uninstalled.If I want to play this kinda game I'll play overwatch honestly.

Alx

I'm not sure Apex was very passionate. More like a desperate cash grab that they were told to make.

It's the other way around. Respawn wanted to make it, and EA wasn't very confident on the whole free to play model. Hence why there was no major budget to promote it (surprise release in february without any prior announcement, no advertisement except for making some influencers play it for a few days).

Last edited:

Damigos

Radio silence for several months doesn't bode well for Ninja Theory's 4v4 brawler.

Even a brief glance at the game's official blog, socials or official Discord paints a bleak picture. None of have been updated since July. Developers have been completely and utterly radio silent on the game's official Discord, with community messages left ignored, declining to engage in any form of discussion about the game.

Didnt expect a site named windows central to report on this

tryDEATH

The attempt of trying to appeal to the masses destroyed any hope for this game. I really don't understand why these developers think targeting a audience and genre that is already dominated by a certain few is a smart move let alone when you're approaching it the same way with the same played out "character designs" and environments and overall world look. Had they gone with a darker more sinister looking game that clearly differentiates itself, while still maintaining some similar game-play elements it would have been much better received.

This was a how not to launch a game, but I would like these sort of side project to continue to be released on GamePass they just need to be more experimental and innovative as there is much less risk involved now under MS. If they continue I can see a couple of smaller development teams crating some truly unbelievable games like they did 2 generations ago where it wasn't the size of the development team, but the quality. Some games and project just need to go back to the basics and stop trying to make every game a financial bloated AAA game when it isn't necessary.

Top Bottom