• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: Video Game Anxiety Is Real. Here's How to Manage It

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

"
OGZvx1j.jpg

ROBIN MOSLEY
CULTURE
03.19.2021 08:00 AM

Video Game Anxiety Is Real. Here's How to Manage It​

Even games that used to be soothing can trigger negative feelings when you fail to level up, or when you feel like you've let down your team.

EVER HAVE ANXIETY while playing video games? You’re not alone. Many people find video games to be anxiety-inducing even when they’re desperately trying to relax. I am one of those people. Gaming wasn’t always stressful, but with my life becoming more complicated as I got older, the relief I used to have from gaming turned into anxiety when my tendencies for completion and control took over.

Anxiety can affect a person’s life in many ways. It “comes in many forms, but often involves repetitive negative thoughts that are hard to soothe,” says Risa Williams, a licensed psychotherapist and author of the Ultimate Anxiety Toolkit. “Game anxiety can include repetitive thought loops, especially about things we can’t complete in the game.”

It can also be more than the failure to complete a game. Players can feel disappointed in letting their teammates down during multiplayer gameplay and feel lonely when playing solo. There are many things that can cause anxiety, including feeling “an unwillingness to play a different game” until a portion of it is cleared, says Yonatan Sobin, The Nerd Therapist. “In more depth, it's a bit of a fading interest in the experience of gaming, and often, getting physically anxious when you can't complete a particular task or achievement in a game, and finding oneself frustrated and unable to ‘get into the flow’ of the game.”

Gaming anxiety affects people everywhere and can show up as symptoms like headaches, palpitations, abdominal pain, and paresthesia—that pins-and-needles sensation—as well as feelings of hopelessness and low self-esteem, says Leela R. Magavi, a psychiatrist and regional medical director of Community Psychiatry.

So, what do you do? Give up on video games for good? Not necessarily. There are ways to strategize and learn to enjoy video games so that they’re no longer an issue.

Set Smaller, Healthier Goals
While it can be hard to do, thinking of smaller tasks you want to accomplish in your video games can reduce your anxiety.

“When we’re just trying to complete levels or big achievements, it can be tempting to just keep going after you’ve achieved them,” says Williams. For this reason, creating smaller goals with a time limit can help you feel relaxed—especially as games become increasingly achievement-based, with a feeling that you never really “finished them.”

To reduce the need to complete everything, Williams suggests redirecting your focus toward other activities that can provide “brain rewards,” and plan for goals outside of the game to keep you motivated. These brain rewards are tasks that you can shift to—ones that release dopamine, a neurotransmitter that’s associated with the feeling of achievement.

For me, brain rewards include choosing one thing to complete in my game of choice, Stardew Valley. I know that I can’t do everything in one day, so I choose one task and complete it. When I feel like a smaller goal is too narrow, I’ll set a larger goal to fulfill that need. If leveling up a skill isn’t enough, then I’ll set a collection goal, and completing that will make me feel satisfied.

Refocus Your Energy Elsewhere
Finding something calming to do before and after gameplay can help with anxiety. It can be anything that you’ve used before to reduce stress.

Magavi advises that gamers listen to their favorite song in tandem with taking “several deep breaths to slow down their respiratory rate and prevent panic.” Whenever you happen to observe a change in mood or breathing, taking a break to practice breathing or exercising can relieve gamers of anxiety.

Whether you're playing solo or with a team, sharing those experiences with others can help, and you can do this by initiating conversation with teammates or opponents to build a friendlier atmosphere.

Ultimately, gamers should also learn to “laugh at your mistakes or graciously accept defeat or failure, after all, anyone could be having a bad day,” says Rashmi Parmar, a psychiatrist at Community Psychiatry. “Stop shaming or blaming yourself after failing at a game. Avoid the urge of reminiscing over what went wrong unless you are using it in a positive way to perform better next time.”

The primary goal is to have fun, so when you’re playing a game try to avoid “being drawn into the quest” for control. Instead, Parmar says that reminding yourself you’ll have fun no matter the outcome will refocus your energy.

Play What You Like—With Friends
“Game developers want players engaged for as long and as intently as possible,” says Sobin, The Nerd Therapist. The “dopamine-hits'' are what make you feel accomplished and what keeps you playing. So the same dopamine hits you get from brain rewards can also keep you playing the game.

Sobin’s tactic for reducing anxiety while gaming is to lean into social communication. His suggestion is to build or join communities in online spaces like Discord, Reddit, and Twitch. This reduces the feeling of being alone that can come from playing solo. This doesn’t mean that solo gaming is directly attributed to anxiety—if multiplayer gaming is the cause of your anxiety, then playing solo can provide the opposite effect. It’s all about knowing yourself.

It is also important to play the games you want to so that your experience is enjoyable.

“It's natural for us to think ‘I suck’ or ‘I’m the worst’ after failing the same situation 10 or 15 times in a row, but that's (most likely) not true,” Sobin says. “Game anxiety results from a rigid set of rules.” When you’re playing a game, be mindful and listen to yourself. If you feel bored with a game, put it down. And when you’re collecting trophies and items, enjoy it, but try not to get so sucked in that you ignore the world around you.

Try Watching Games Instead
So you’ve quit a game but you still have this nagging feeling? This is what Daniel Epstein, a licensed mental health counselor at the Berman Center, calls “game shame,” or a “feeling of lowered self-worth due to negative self-talk.” Game shame is solely determined on an individual level. While some feel the need to complete a task, others are concerned about how they’ll be seen by their peers. This can increase your anxiety, and there’s a way to deal with this.

“For many, watching others play can actually bring someone’s stress levels down, provide entertainment, as well as help them learn new skills,” says Epstein. “The lowered stress associated with observing gameplay can in large part be attributed to having no risk of failure.” Watching other people play a let's play series on YouTube or Twitch can act as ASMR, providing relaxation and connection to people. I’ve rewatched let's plays and Twitch videos because they make the unknown known, and teach me the risks of a game before I play, so I can have a successful session. Older videos also bring memories of nostalgia and reduce stress because I know the outcome of the game.

But at the end of the day, there is nothing better than seeking help from licensed professionals when you’re living with game anxiety.

“Chances are you’re experiencing anxiety in real life. If you are living with anxiety or any emotional struggles, go see a professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment if needed,” says Epstein.

While there is no one way to tackle game anxiety, just knowing that you have options to manage your life is empowering. Whether you decide to take it easy, channel your feelings elsewhere, or even reach out for assistance, your feelings and anxiety around gaming are valid—and manageable.
"

Topher

Gold Member
I take a lot of breaks when playing a game. A game session lasting more than an hour will cause me to get quite irritable. So I'll step away and doing something else. Spend some time with the wife. Yardwork. Watch some TV. Leave the house. Just get away. I love this hobby, but I don't want it to make me someone I don't want to be. Neither does the wife.

I've also found that staring at a screen for a long time can negatively impact my sleep. So along with limiting screen time, I have gaming glasses that filter out blue light. This has made a significant difference in my overall well-being. Highly recommend looking into this for any gamer who is having problems sleeping.

Aesius

I used to play AOE2 competitively and experienced terrible anxiety once I got into the upper-tier of players. I still think that there's nothing in gaming more intense than high-level 1v1 in an RTS. It requires incredible amounts of focus and concentration, potentially for an hour or more, and if you lose, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Eventually it just became too much and I quit. I was also in high school at time, and I remember being in class and dreading going home because I knew I had a clan match that evening that would be heavily scrutinized afterward.

No way I'm paying a dude whose last name is Epstein
I am Jewish, that's actually pretty fucked that you say that. I personally do not really care, but others might.

Just saying what you are saying might rub people the wrong way. What you basically said is same thing as "No way I am letting this couple in my house and let them rent my apartment. I do not take black skinned tenants"

Sorry I just find it hilarious with what you said. You are not afraid to show your racism i see. Haha.

itsArtie

I am Jewish, that's actually pretty fucked that you say that. I personally do not really care, but others might.

Just saying what you are saying might rub people the wrong way. What you basically said is same thing as "No way I am letting this couple in my house and let them rent my apartment. I do not take black skinned tenants"

Sorry I just find it hilarious with what you said. You are not afraid to show your racism i see. Haha.
My bad, I didn't know that, never heard of the surname before that Jeffrey guy so I didn't know it was that common. But I've no idea how you connected this to racism lol. It's like saying for example - I don't trust people with the last name Trump, nothing to do with racism, just pure ignorance from my side.

Last edited:
If video games are causing you anxiety, its time to stop playing or switch up what you're playing.
Closest game to me was Overwatch competitive. It was just purely rage inducing after I had a really bad incident I just stopped and started playing very casually.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
I used to play Rocket League religiously. The toxic community (blame-game breaks out in ~90% of matches) and large learning curve for high-level play had me raging all the time. I don't think I ever experienced anxiety, but I was certainly waaaay too angry; I had to take a break for a while.

The game is still super fun, but now I just play it for shits and giggles.

Great Hair

Banned
1º stay away from Personal Computers
2º do not play on Personal Computers
3º stay away from Free to Play, Mobile, Indies garbage
4º buy a PS5
5º support Sony PlayStation
6º If you are old, fat, lazy, suffers from incontinentia get an Xböx Series S
7º subscribe for 35 years of gamepass, gotta have access to Mass Effect 2
8º retweet anything Phil Spencer says
9º binge watch L.O.S.T and Desperate Housewives
10º maybe take a break, watch some old stuff ..
vydt6bO.png

Concern

Closest game to me was Overwatch competitive. It was just purely rage inducing after I had a really bad incident I just stopped and started playing very casually.

Thankfully I haven't had no issues like that. Especially considering i mostly play competitive games.

Airola

The increasingly growing feeling of being entitled to win the game causes a lot of trouble.

If only people would learn that games can be fun even if you don't manage to beat them.

Game developers are only making it worse by putting all kinds of options and features that are only there to ensure everyone can eventually beat the game, and they are hiding this cancer under the double-edged sword called 'inclusivity'.

The monetization, social media streaming and all that crap is probalby causing some of this in people who bought into it.

Personally I could care less if i win or loose in multiplayer. I play only a few multiplayer games, like war thunder and some battlefield or cod, every now or then. Play to have fun not "grow an audience and become famous".

I miss the days of logging into Quake 3 or Unreal tournament and years later, team fortress 2, cod4, battlefield2, total war etc.. with friends and or randos. If you loose so what. People back then shit talked each other and it was nothing. We realized it was a game. We also weren't broadcasting it to the world to make money and make some streaming company rich.

Nowadays I prefer single player (did mostly back then too). I play what i want and never feel anxiety from gaming solo. In fact I prefer it. I can pause when i want, read lore in game or go explorer without x people trying to ignore story or pushing on to the next thing. Its what drove me away from mmos. Everyone trying to get to endgame and rush through leveling. To me the leveling and exploring was the fun part. Taking place in scheduled raids where others expect you to perform like a job is not fun.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Brilliant, I appreciate this a lot.

I've only in the last few years got over doing everthing in a game before moving on, I didn't complete games I wasn't enjoying but I definitely made a lot of experiences less fun by trying to min-max my progress before moving on in the game, especially in open world games. Try recording a video of yourself when you are at your most angry/frustrated about something and then watch it back when calm later, it will be difficult but hopefully it will help you understand that its still the same you in the video, just that you were acting irrationally.

Think of answers to the questions you asked or rebuttals to the "impossible choice" you were worrying about in the video for next time that happens, write it down in a notepad or even on a large piece of paper that you put on your wall, with the title: "Give it your all but move on if you aren't having fun", be that meaning move on in the game or move on to another game.

I do still get "game shame" for games that everyone talks about but I couldn't get into, but its lessening as the years go on. Often thats due to gameplay not gelling with me after a few hours but its the worst for things like The Witcher 3 when people go on about the story being completely amazing but I'm not into the minute to minute gameplay much and I felt like I needed to mod the game to skip the gameplay to experience the story but now I accept that even though I might love the dialogue/story I'd alter the game so much to get to that content it wouldn't really be the game anymore and I accept even things I'd potentially love have to pass me by.

I think I've almost fully gotten over that now tbh, the new thing for me is fully realising that games are art but they are also a business so if the game is at a different framerate than you'd prefer or resolution or the colour grading or whatever artistic choice they made it might not line up with your idea of "perfect" but life isn't perfect and you gotta take what you get, or else make something better.

The best memories are made when everything lines up and its "perfect", but you have to either let that happen naturally or make it happen yourself.

TL;DR - Stop focusing on the negatives/your anxieties - like "What if I'll need that later?", "Which is the side path and which is the main one", etc - acknowledge the negatives if they jump out to you, try to understand why its that way in a logical way, but then put them aside and focus on the positives. Thats literally the key to happiness in life and not just gaming:

key alfred hitchcock GIF

Harsh but true, music-based TL;DR:

If you don't feel up to doing this yourself, or tried it and it didn't work then I open my PMs up to you, send me a message about the game you're playing with whatever is on your mind and I'll reply with some advice of what to do next. Call me the "Listen-Kuranghi":

I've never had cats though so don't message me about that.

ClosBSAS

Dota 2 mmr gives me panic attacks. Its just so bad. I go from winning 10 in a row to losing 20 in a row. It's just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Video game anxiety?

Sheeeeiiit.

I have video game PTSD from early-era raiding EverQuest (here's to you, 13hr Plane of Fear raids with multiple wipes and CRs)... not to mention other gems such as platinuming Bloodborne (looking at you, Defiled Watchdog).

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't understand how people can feel enough anxiety about leveling up in a game that it outweighs the anxiety they should be feeling about leveling up in the real world. I suspect if they spend some time homeless all of that videogame anxiety will go away.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

I was in the same boat as you, I came to the self realization of what Blizzard was doing to me(I don't normally play pvp multiplayer games and I damn sure don't normally play them competitively) and quickly stopped playing it. I've always played games for at least 70:30 (fun:stress ratio) and Overwatch was stressing me out more than any other game beforehand, even souls-likes. I had to stop.

I started having medical problems a few years ago, mostly related to my heart. Found out that I have high blood pressure. I was playing Metal Gear Solid at the time and had to stop because the jump scares were making my heart race. This stuff is no joke.

Enjay

Banned
Well yeah you're not just losing at the game anymore. People are trying to have 6 figure careers out of playing video games. You're losing potential donations subscribers and influence now.

Maddux4164

Wow. This is a real article and a real topic. Earth has changed. It ain’t the climate. It’s everyone becoming the biggest pansies ever known to man kind. Christ.

Gaming is the opposite of anxiety. You want REAL anxiety? Try knowing your next pay day isn’t till Friday and your electricity is being shut off on Monday. That’s anxiety. Not gaming. Fucks sake we have a soft world.

jaysius

Banned
Have fun at the game NO MATTER WHAT, if you’re dying over and over, REMEMBER it’s just a game, this is recreation, not real life enjoy the fact that you are PLAYING A GAME. If you can’t see passed your in-game “failures” give it a break for a while.

If you’re having issues like breaking controllers, then you have bigger problems, recognize this and take the time to get help or reseach how to help yourself. If you’re letting your anger out of check to the extent of physical violence then you probably have an impulse control issue or some form of arrested development, the GOOD NEWS is IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE THIS PATTERN THEN YOU CAN. Be thankful that you recognize it while doing something like gaming instead of encountering it in a real world situation where it would have serious consequence, everyone has issues, the power is yours to help yourself, make the world a better place not worse. You don’t need to feel this way.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You want REAL anxiety? Try knowing your next pay day isn’t till Friday and your electricity is being shut off on Monday. That’s anxiety.
So you're going through this, and after a long day of trying to get a job or working a dead end job, you go home, happen to own a console or PC, and then play some online shooter to unwind. Instead, you lose every single match that night, whether through bad teammates or simply having a bad night, and on top of that if you're playing competitive your rank decreases.

Would this outcome:
A)Be the opposite of anxiety and stress like you claim
or
B)Add on to your anxiety and stress just through different means?

Last edited by a moderator:

Maddux4164

Have fun at the game NO MATTER WHAT, if you’re dying over and over, REMEMBER it’s just a game, this is recreation, not real life enjoy the fact that you are PLAYING A GAME. If you can’t see passed your in-game “failures” give it a break for a while.

If you’re having issues like breaking controllers, then you have bigger problems, recognize this and take the time to get help or reseach how to help yourself. If you’re letting your anger out of check to the extent of physical violence then you probably have an impulse control issue or some form of arrested development, the GOOD NEWS is IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE THIS PATTERN THEN YOU CAN.
I’m having anxiety trying to figure out how anyone has anxiety playing a game. The real world gives me anxiety. Games are a fun thing I do to escape. Sure, I get frustrated in games. Have for 30+ years. But that’s an emotion that comes with challenges. Practice makes perfect. But it’s beyond that. That article and some replies here are insulting to what REAL anxiety is. I mean, we can get anxious watching a movie can’t we? so what? it’s not “real”.

we get “scared” watching movies. It’s controlled Fear. Like gaming is controlled fear and anxiety, happiness etc.

If I ever think of gaming as real world anxiety…. That tells me I’ve got an AMAZING life that’s stress ftee. The moment gaming becomes by highest priority and worry. I’ve made it as a human. Fucks sake this is the softest earth since humans existed

Maddux4164

So you're going through this, and after a long day of trying to get a job or working a dead end job, you go home, happen to own a console or PC, and then play some online shooter to unwind. Instead, you lose every single match that night, whether through bad teammates or simply having a bad night, and on top of that if you're playing competitive your rank decreases.

Would this outcome:
or
It’s not relevant to me. Sure I’ve been there in my adult life. What’s the issue? Should we have ”press A to win” ? Wtf?

I am ADULT and realize tonight wasn’t my night. Still had a good time. But my anxiety lies with my out of game issues and never in game. Always. Fuck my online rank lol who cares? again, I’ve done this since 1989 (first time playing NES). I’ve had every good and bad night anyone can have. But at the end of the day, the game was my escape and never the root cause for anxiety in my life.

jaysius

Banned

Would this outcome:
or
It should be

C) your rank isn’t real, your KDR isn’t real, it’s a fun past time but dont cement your persona on something as fickle as a stat. This goes for any singular minded obsessive behaviour. Your value isn’t dictated by in-game performance.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

It should be

C) your rank isn’t real, your KDR isn’t real, it’s a fun past time but dont cement your persona on something as fickle as a stat. This goes for any singular minded obsess behaviour. Your value isn’t dictated by in-game performance.
Anyone “dealing with this” has a very good life and also needs to stick to games that reward them for simply playing. “Press A to win”. Soft ass bitches

jaysius

Banned
I’m having anxiety trying to figure out how anyone has anxiety playing a game. The real world gives me anxiety. Games are a fun thing I do to escape. Sure, I get frustrated in games. Have for 30+ years. But that’s an emotion that comes with challenges. Practice makes perfect. But it’s beyond that. That article and some replies here are insulting to what REAL anxiety is. I mean, we can get anxious watching a movie can’t we? so what? it’s not “real”.

we get “scared” watching movies. It’s controlled Fear. Like gaming is controlled fear and anxiety, happiness etc.

If I ever think of gaming as real world anxiety…. That tells me I’ve got an AMAZING life that’s stress ftee. The moment gaming becomes by highest priority and worry. I’ve made it as a human. Fucks sake this is the softest earth since humans existed
Your train of thought is being very reductive without appreciating the real issue here, the issue is people are overvaluing this virtual hobby as something that is intrinsically impacting their egos.

This is a real issue.

Address is but don’t dismiss it without attempt to see the otherside of things.

If you have anxieties then there are plenty of great ways to combat and restructure your world view to reduce them, denial isn’t one of them though.

Gaf isn’t the most constructive place on the web, it if someone wants to come here and open up about it, then that’s a HUGE STEP in the RIGHT DIRECTION.

Especially in this world of isolation due to Covid it’s easier than ever to lose touch with what stimuli have real value and what don’t. Many people have used drugs and alcohol to escape reality, some have used video games. A person’s anxieties towards virtual events CAN be just as real to them as your anxieties of payday. You might see your own anxieties as more legitimate, but you need to realize that perception IS reality and some people whose world views have been funnelled into gaming, their gaming anxieties are VERY REAL. They might not even have a charmed life, but they might incorrectly assume that you can just project their real world anxieties into a game and think gaming progress can resolve them, when they fail to make positive progress, then their real world anxieties and virtual ones become compounded.

What I’m trying to tell people is to RECOGNIZE THE ISSUE, don’t be ASHAMED, begin to seek help, know that there IS HELP.

Be more open to helping and accepting people’s realities and realize that not everyone’s world looks like yours, help instead of hurt.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Feel bad for anyone dealing with this when ACTUAL issues happen in life.
Your train of thought is being very reductive without appreciating the real issue here, the issue is people are overvaluing this virtual hobby as something that is intrinsically impacting their egos.

This is a real issue.

Address is but don’t dismiss it without attempt to see the otherside of things.

If you have anxieties then there are plenty of great ways to combat and restructure your world view to reduce them, denial isn’t one of them though.
It’s obviously real. It’s shocking how it is. But I‘d argue so is watching movies. Many folks get “triggered or anxiety” related issues watching a show or movie. It’s the mindset of the new age that is forcing those emotions on us.

Maddux4164

I mean, I’m 34 and yes I’m on dating apps. Frankly have been since MySpace. I used MySpace as a dating app back before such existed. People called me weird.

Point is. On 2021 dating apps. They now have “help services” for those who have been “rejected” on said dating app. It’s ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS to me.

Maddux4164

Took me maybe 3 YEARS to beat SMB3 on NES.

In 2021… I can Speed run it in 2 hours tops (yes that’s not fast compared to a true speed runner but still)

point is it was frustrating yet fun. I was not coddled and held close by Big Tech and Big Media with help services and articles that make me feel good. I was Told hey… wanna play?…. Practice and get good. Don’t wanna? You wont beat the game. Simple

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It’s not relevant to me. Sure I’ve been there in my adult life. What’s the issue? Should we have ”press A to win” ? Wtf?

I am ADULT and realize tonight wasn’t my night. Still had a good time. But my anxiety lies with my out of game issues and never in game. Always. Fuck my online rank lol who cares? again, I’ve done this since 1989 (first time playing NES). I’ve had every good and bad night anyone can have. But at the end of the day, the game was my escape and never the root cause for anxiety in my life.
It should be

C) your rank isn’t real, your KDR isn’t real, it’s a fun past time but dont cement your persona on something as fickle as a stat. This goes for any singular minded obsess behaviour. Your value isn’t dictated by in-game performance.

Not everyone is as rational as you.

Feel bad for anyone dealing with this when ACTUAL issues happen in life.

It’s obviously real. It’s shocking how it is. But I‘d argue so is watching movies. Many folks get “triggered or anxiety” related issues watching a show or movie. It’s the mindset of the new age that is forcing those emotions on us.
I mean, I’m 34 and yes I’m on dating apps. Frankly have been since MySpace. I used MySpace as a dating app back before such existed. People called me weird.

Point is. On 2021 dating apps. They now have “help services” for those who have been “rejected” on said dating app. It’s ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS to me.
But this isn't what we're discussing. Video games are on a different level than both of the other examples you've mentioned due to the level of engagement, especially compared to movies which is extremely passive.

I'm hoping that you understand the point and that you're just talking around it for your own talking points.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maddux4164

Not everyone is as rational as you.

But this isn't what we're discussing. Video games are on a different level than both of the other examples you've mentioned due to the level of engagement, especially compared to movies which is extremely passive.

I'm hoping that you understand the point and that you're just talking around it for your own talking points.
It’s all related. It’s absolutely related. How isn’t it? Games have absolutely made me “anxious” while playing. They’ve made me scared, happy, sad, upset, frustrated etc. all of the above.

Video games have scratched most emotions on the human scale that exist. But once the game is OFF….

it’s over. Everything leaves and doesn’t stay around other than in a good memory looking back

Maddux4164

Call it a by product of my upbringing. Down south Alabama. Fantastic parents. Sportsmanship. Etc.

Many obstacles too. Like no water or power. Evicted. Car repossessed etc.

We stuck together like a family does. That stuff made me anxious. Gaming never did.

Did games ever invoke anxiety? ABSOLUTELY and still does to this day. That’s a positive for me. Makes me push harder and keep trying. Walk away and come back fresh. But it’s not a “real world” issue.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gamers taking games too serious.

For competitive people, one thing to do is go on private settings/party chat to avoid smack talk from others. I think most people already do that. If you're still bummed out, then quit competitive games and play SP or bot mode.

If someone is still getting messed up playing Tetris by themselves because they are pissed waiting for that vertical line that never comes, Id say quit gaming. Stick to movies or tv shows.

I used to play a ton of online COD and hockey. I was competitive as I wanted to win and rack up the KD and wins and move up the online divisions. Barely play them now. Don't even think about it. I've been playing some old ass Skyrim and Fallout 4 on Series X where I can take my time and mess with adding cool mods. Playing these games at 4k/60 with ultra settings and weather mods and you'll think it's games released recently.

“It's natural for us to think ‘I suck’ or ‘I’m the worst’ after failing the same situation 10 or 15 times in a row, but that's (most likely) not true,” Sobin says. “Game anxiety results from a rigid set of rules.” When you’re playing a game, be mindful and listen to yourself. If you feel bored with a game, put it down. And when you’re collecting trophies and items, enjoy it, but try not to get so sucked in that you ignore the world around you.
Just move on.

I tried beating COD 4 veteran mode and quit. I also bailed on Cuphead. I guess my gaming skills aren't so good anymore like the 90s. No shame. I just drop the game.

I think some people feel like shit because they see videos of other people kicking ass on YT videos making it look easy. Who cares. That guy has probably played the game 24/7 for the past year to be that good. Do you really want to be that kind of gamer? They never tell you how much time they've committed or how many shitty recordings they did they don't upload because they'd be embarrassed to admit they've been playing Street Fighter memorizing and practicing Guile's move set for two years at the millisecond level. Most gamers only upload their great games too. They probably record every match played but only upload the 2 good ones from playing 5 hours straight.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Gaffers never come to have their minds changed, only to shout into a echo chamber and have reinforcement, BUT we can all start thinking more rational to have healthier lives.
True it's tough. This forum is way, way more toxic than when I used to post on it years ago. I'm glad you want to be a part of that positive change though.
It’s all related. It’s absolutely related. How isn’t it? Games have absolutely made me “anxious” while playing. They’ve made me scared, happy, sad, upset, frustrated etc. all of the above.

Video games have scratched most emotions on the human scale that exist. But once the game is OFF….

it’s over. Everything leaves and doesn’t stay around other than in a good memory looking back

Again, not everyone is you. You should completely understand this considering your next post about your upbringing. Calling everyone that doesn't have your mindset 'weak' 'soft' or 'pansies' is telling me you don't understand this.

Maddux4164

Gamers taking games too serious.

For competitive people, one thing to do is go on private settings/party chat to avoid smack talk from others. I think most people already do that. If you're still bummed out, then quit competitive games and play SP or bot mode.

If someone is still getting messed up playing Tetris by themselves because they are pissed waiting for that vertical line that never comes, Id say quit gaming. Stick to movies or tv shows.

I used to play a ton of online COD and hockey. I was competitive as I wanted to win and rack up the KD and wins and move up the online divisions. Barely play them now. Don't even think about it. I've been playing some old ass Skyrim and Fallout 4 on Series X where I can take my time and mess with adding cool mods. Playing these games at 4k/60 with ultra settings and weather mods and you'll think it's games released recently.

Just move on.

I tried beating COD 4 veteran mode and quit. I also bailed on Cuphead. I guess my gaming skills aren't so good anymore like the 90s. No shame. I just drop the game.

I think some people feel like shit because they see videos of other people kicking ass on YT videos making it look easy. Who cares. That guy has probably played the game 24/7 for the past year to be that good. Do you really want to be that kind of gamer? They never tell you how much time they've committed or how many shitty recordings they did they don't upload because they'd be embarrassed to admit they've been playing Street Fighter memorizing and practicing Guile's move set for two years at the millisecond level. Most gamers only upload their great games too. They probably record every match played but only upload the 2 good ones from playing 5 hours straight.
Those videos are by experts. Absolutely. Speed runners. Whew. That’s a new level. Many great documentaries on them on YouTube. But they dedicate almost every waking moment in their entire life to 1 game. Obviously they’re good.

Maddux4164

True it's tough. This forum is way, way more toxic than when I used to post on it years ago. I'm glad you want to be a part of that positive change though.

Again, not everyone is you. You should completely understand this considering your next post about your upbringing. Calling everyone that doesn't have your mindset 'weak' 'soft' or 'pansies' is telling me you don't understand this.
Nah. Not about my “mindset”. But the state of gaming in general. It’s a hobby at best (for 95%) and something they do when they’re bored at worst. Only the absolutely elite make a living doing it. But it’s because that’s their source of income and job.

Allforce

The only anxiety I get gaming is worrying that I won't finish the stupid Battle Pass in Call of Duty.

And even then I know I can just buy my way out of that at the end if I want.

Top Bottom