• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: Video Game Anxiety Is Real. Here's How to Manage It

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. Not about my ā€œmindsetā€. But the state of gaming in general. Itā€™s a hobby at best (for 95%) and something they do when theyā€™re bored at worst. Only the absolutely elite make a living doing it. But itā€™s because thatā€™s their source of income and job.
Any hobby can easily be stressful or cause anxiety in the right conditions.

No one here is saying it will cause as much stress and anxiety as being broke and trying to live life and eat. Those are on different levels due to their obvious nature, however they can cause their own stresses and anxieties.

jaysius

Banned
The only anxiety I get gaming is worrying that I won't finish the stupid Battle Pass in Call of Duty.

And even then I know I can just buy my way out of that at the end if I want.
Thatā€™s a FOMO fear there, thatā€™s how itā€™s ā€œsupposed to workā€.

Realize the value that it has, decide if itā€™s really worth it for customizations and if they really matter that much in the long run. Will seeing someone with said weapon skin or other customization that you didnā€™t get make you feel worse in the future? Probably not in the long run, next battle pass will have other cool shit. Enjoy the game and realize the battle pass is a carrot with no real power, think of your progress through it as an added benefit, not a requirement for fun.

Maddux4164

That article must be aimed at age 8-18

No adult male or female goes to bed anxious over a game. None.

UNLESSā€¦ thatā€™s your job. In which caseā€¦ Iā€™m there for it. Makes sense. Iā€™ve lost sleep over my job too. But thatā€™s only the 1% that have a job solely depending on ā€œbeing goodā€ at games. Even YouTube gamers (mostly) donā€™t rely on skill. Just personality and interacting with subscribers.

Maddux4164

Any hobby can easily be stressful or cause anxiety in the right conditions.

No one here is saying it will cause as much stress and anxiety as being broke and trying to live life and eat. Those are on different levels due to their obvious nature, however they can cause their own stresses and anxieties.
Canā€™t disagree with your post in general. But it opens up the same article could be written about baseball card collecting. Or anything that people use for a dedicated hobby. Something they spend their income on and time away from work or school on.

jaysius

Banned

UNLESSā€¦ thatā€™s your job. In which caseā€¦ Iā€™m there for it. Makes sense. Iā€™ve lost sleep over my job too. But thatā€™s only the 1% that have a job solely depending on ā€œbeing goodā€ at games. Even YouTube gamers (mostly) donā€™t rely on skill. Just personality and interacting with subscribers.
This article has had a great impact on you, as you continue to vent here the same idea but reworded, many people have tried to rephrase the issue so you can understand it, but your view is very cemented, thatā€™s ok too, but why not post new idea instead of rewording the same one.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

This article has had a great impact on you, as you continue to vent here the same idea but reworded, many people have tried to rephrase the issue so you can understand it, but your view is very cemented, thatā€™s ok too, but why not post new idea instead of rewording the same one.
Nah. Itā€™s fun to be here. Should I be banned for expressing my opinions on the matter even though you can find areas to disagree? Or is this a forum in which we can speak on topics and viewpoints

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

UNLESSā€¦ thatā€™s your job. In which caseā€¦ Iā€™m there for it.
But you know the opposite can also easily be true as well right? Again you're speaking for billions at this point. There aren't billions who have jobs in that industry.

Should I be banned for expressing my opinions on the matter even though you can find areas to disagree? Or is this a forum in which we can speak on topics and viewpoints
No one said this. Lower your defenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am Jewish, that's actually pretty fucked that you say that. I personally do not really care, but others might.

Just saying what you are saying might rub people the wrong way. What you basically said is same thing as "No way I am letting this couple in my house and let them rent my apartment. I do not take black skinned tenants"

Sorry I just find it hilarious with what you said. You are not afraid to show your racism i see. Haha.
How is a joke about the name of a paedophile racist?

Maddux4164

Tell ya what J jaysius

I will let you decide my fate in the ā€œopinion discussion and open forum threadā€

if you tell me to never post within this thread again. Iā€™ll oblige. Iā€™ll go away. Wonā€™t be back. If youā€™ll continue to allow my viewpoint and discussion on this open forum on this topic. Iā€™ll continue.

The choice is yours and yours alone.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thatā€™s a FOMO fear there, thatā€™s how itā€™s ā€œsupposed to workā€.

Realize the value that it has, decide if itā€™s really worth it for customizations and if they really matter that much in the long run. Will seeing someone with said weapon skin or other customization that you didnā€™t get make you feel worse in the future? Probably not in the long run, next battle pass will have other cool shit. Enjoy the game and realize the battle pass is a carrot with no real power, think of your progress through it as an added benefit, not a requirement for fun.
Yup.

Businesses are smart enough to entice customers with various tactics. One key one is collectability because they know some people will spend money and be nervous if they have a shitty set of cards or hats or whatever the fuck it is.

I used to work at a company that made lots of seasonal products. Every year there were new Halloween and Christmas trinkets. Total junk to me. And who the fuck is going to buy all 20-30 new knickknack shit year in and year out?

Turns out there's hardcore collectors no different than sports cards or Pokemon. But at least for that shit, some people do it for fun or as an investment if they get good gear. Yet we were making shit you just put on a shelf or your desk. There's zero investment strategy. Clever tactic too, just like all collectibles you add to the box something like # 5/30. So they know there's 30 to get. And surely some of them were nervous needing to get them all.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Tell ya what J jaysius

I will let you decide my fate in the ā€œopinion discussion and open forum threadā€

if you tell me to never post within this thread again. Iā€™ll oblige. Iā€™ll go away. Wonā€™t be back. If youā€™ll continue to allow my viewpoint and discussion on this open forum on this topic. Iā€™ll continue.

tenor.gif

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Iā€™ll leave this thread if you tell me to leave it and my opinions arenā€™t needed or wanted. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying.
I know what you're saying. It didn't need to escalate to that degree.

jaysius

Banned
Canā€™t disagree with your post in general. But it opens up the same article could be written about baseball card collecting. Or anything that people use for a dedicated hobby. Something they spend their income on and time away from work or school on.
I also mentioned this earlier that any obssevie behaviour is important to recognize and try to correct to more healthy behaviours.

Nah. Itā€™s fun to be here. Should I be banned for expressing my opinions on the matter even though you can find areas to disagree? Or is this a forum in which we can speak on topics and viewpoints
Tell ya what J jaysius

Even in the post that you have replied to I had said that your cemented viewpoint was valid.

If you want to open your mind, then thatā€™s great, if not, then just realize how much the conflict of your view with his article has impacted you, youā€™ve repeated the same stance several times, we understand it.

Youā€™re starting to get combative but the users arenā€™t attacking you, there is no competition here, nobody is winning or losing.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Canā€™t really relate to this, mostly because I donā€™t play competitive games anymore (Iā€™m old as fuck plus those games are filled with idiots).

Iā€™d say if games are making you unhappy or overly anxious, itā€™s time to cut back or stop altogether. Not worth it for whatā€™s supposed to be a hobby to enjoy yourself.

Maddux4164

I also mentioned this earlier that any obssevie behaviour is important to recognize and try to correct to more healthy behaviours.

Even in the post that you have replied to I had said that your cemented viewpoint was valid.

If you want to open your mind, then thatā€™s great, if not, then just realize how much the conflict of your view with his article has impacted you, youā€™ve repeated the same stance several times, we understand it.
Iā€™ll continue to give my opinion in as many words as Webster Allows. Unless you tell me to leave

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Iā€™ll continue to give my opinion in as many words as Webster Allows. Unless you tell me to leave
That's not what we're asking of you man. We just want you to meet us halfway the same way we're meeting your opinion halfway, not change a multiple choice question into a yes or no question.

Maddux4164

That's not what we're asking of you man. We just want you to meet us halfway the same way we're meeting your opinion halfway, not change a multiple choice question into a yes or no question.
We? Iā€™m speaking directly to you. Not a ā€œweā€.

In that caseā€¦. Iā€™ll allow anyone here to tell me to leave this thread and Iā€™ll be gone. Since ya lumped everyone else into it

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
We? Iā€™m speaking directly to you. Not a ā€œweā€.

In that caseā€¦. Iā€™ll allow anyone here to tell me to leave this thread and Iā€™ll be gone. Since ya lumped everyone else into it
By we I meant me and J jaysius , the two you've been addressing for 90% of the conversation.

jaysius

Banned
I hate what the world has become and this topic is a prime example. Peopleā€™s minds and priorities have been so distorted that playing video games is giving them anxiety.
It really does show how sensitive some people can be to visual and auditory interactive experiences that they can be perceived as real world threats(the perceived threats lead to the anxiety).

It turns out that things have as much weight as you give them(perception is reality).

Objectively: boxes filled with circuit boards and panels that can display any data sent to it via a plastic controllers.

Subjectively: a personā€™s entire life wrapped up in a fantastic escape that can be their everything positive and everything negative.

I think the trend towards a more digital world(life on FB, life on Zoom, work from home on a PC) is what making more people perceive video games as real life and the source of this anxiety as much of their real lives are carried out in the digital realm as opposed to the way things used to be say 20 years ago when technology was still much of a novelty and worldwide participation was far lower thus the digital world wasnā€™t as rich. Some people are using their digital lives as replacements for a real world one.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

It really does show how sensitive some people can be to visual and auditory interactive experiences that they can be perceived as real world threats(the perceived threats lead to the anxiety).

It turns out that things have as much weight as you give them(perception is reality).

Objectively: boxes filled with circuit boards and panels that can display any data sent to it via a plastic controllers.

Subjectively: a personā€™s entire life wrapped up in a fantastic escape that can be their everything positive and everything negative.

I think the trend towards a more digital world(life on FB, life on Zoom, work from home on a PC) is what making more people perceive video games as real life and the source of this anxiety as much of their real lives are carried out in the digital realm.
Social media has destroyed lives. In so many ways. This would be an example. Children are children and are influenced by anyone and anything. Itā€™s lethal. Itā€™s something we never knew of in the 80ā€™s/90ā€™s.

This 24/7 world of young Tik tockers are a cesspool of garbage for teenage growth. Everyone out for views and clout and influence. Kids hold onto every word of anyone that has views. Sponsors line up to CASH in on their view count regardless the poison they push.

jaysius

Banned
Social media has destroyed lives. In so many ways. This would be an example. Children are children and are influenced by anyone and anything. Itā€™s lethal. Itā€™s something we never knew of in the 80ā€™s/90ā€™s.

This 24/7 world of young Tik tockers are a cesspool of garbage for teenage growth. Everyone out for views and clout and influence. Kids hold onto every word of anyone that has views. Sponsors line up to CASH in on their view count regardless the poison they push.
To add to that, with the digital life of TikTok and youtube, I canā€™t imagine the stress if youā€™re trying to be fully ā€œinā€ on a social media platform, when your dopamine is controlled by the amount of likes you receive and you begin to associate likes on a virtual platform as some kind of enhancement to your real world social standing. The pressure of trying to be viral, then the loss of never matching that level again would be eternally crushing.

Also the crushing reality that a ā€œlikeā€ online means nothing and those bandwagons are the most fickle forms of acknowledgement you can find paired with how hard it is to get any level of acknowledgment equivalent to that in real life sets up these digital life addicts for a perpetual hell in real life and a need for escape back into their vapid digital life.

These peopleā€™s minds are wired to one of the worst skinner boxes and their ideas of what real positive reinforcement should be is completely mangled.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

To add to that, with the digital life of TikTok and youtube, I canā€™t imagine the stress if youā€™re trying to be fully ā€œinā€ on a social media platform, when your dopamine is controlled by the amount of likes you receive and you begin to associate likes on a virtual platform as some kind of enhancement to your real world social standing. The pressure of trying to be viral, then the loss of never matching that level again would be eternally crushing.
Yes. I am 60 seconds away from being a viral celebrity. So are you and anyone else. Will it happen? who knows. But children look at that as some ā€œgoal postā€. Iā€™d say that causes MAJOR anxiety when they see their video got 1 view and it was their own

Maddux4164

Kids now at school COMPETING over who had more ā€œviewsā€ and ā€œsubscribersā€ even on a small scale.

Kelly has 1000 followers and is a queen. Sally has 3 and sheā€™s a nerd and outcast.

Maddux4164

We both know in the ā€œgrand schemeā€ that 1000 followers is = to ZERO matter in the real world.

But in ā€œkid worldā€ it matters. Nowā€¦ if Kelly had 100k+ in schoolā€¦. That actually might matter šŸ˜‚

But a 1000k follower compared to 4 is factually not relevant in the real world in any way shape or form

Maddux4164

Iā€™m not one to say this. But feels like social media causes more harm than good. We canā€™t overlook the good itā€™s done. But man that place has become a cesspool for wanna be viral idiots and trash talkers.

Maddux4164

I graduated High School in 2005. Never walked into class and anyone ask me how many ā€œfollowersā€œ I have. Never whipped out cell phones. (Although it was the START). Never cared.

Nowā€¦ kids go home and jump on social media and check how many likes and comments they get. Compare to their friends.

Itā€™s got to be an absolute SHIT SHOW in a high school. Wish I could see it for myself. They donā€™t realize how LITTLE that means. They steady focus on Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook. Itā€™s sad to me. Truly. Really sucks for this new generation.

Imagine me.. 34ā€¦ walking into work speaking on my follower count on social media. My co workers would factually slap me and tell me to stop drinking before work

Maddux4164

Canā€™t deny children that age have more ā€œpressureā€ to be ā€œcoolā€. But coming from a once time ā€œcool kidā€ itā€™s meaningless and useless and amounts to a cup of coffee and sandwich if youā€™re lucky

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I graduated High School in 2005. Never walked into class and anyone ask me how many ā€œfollowersā€œ I have. Never whipped out cell phones. (Although it was the START). Never cared.

Nowā€¦ kids go home and jump on social media and check how many likes and comments they get. Compare to their friends.

Itā€™s got to be an absolute SHIT SHOW in a high school. Wish I could see it for myself. They donā€™t realize how LITTLE that means. They steady focus on Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook. Itā€™s sad to me. Truly. Really sucks for this new generation.

Imagine me.. 34ā€¦ walking into work speaking on my follower count on social media. My co workers would factually slap me and tell me to stop drinking before work
To be fair, what social media sites were around in 2005? Myspace. What else?

Never the less when MySpace was the rage were users in such a quest for clicks and friends being added? I donā€™t know. Never used MySpace.

Im older than you and nobody at my age cares so much about social media. Main things are FB and LinkedIn. But we never grew up with social media and the internet. The net was something new at age 20-25.

big social media sites have been around for 10-15 years.

At some point itā€™ll be interesting to see how much young people growing up with the net and social accounts really keep up plugging with all their Twitter and instagram accounts at age 40 or if they drop it due to family, job and being burnt out from it.

Or they grew up with it, and itā€™s ingrained in their DNA to do this shit till they die at 80.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

To be fair, what social media sites were around in 2005? Myspace. What else?

Never the less when MySpace was the rage were users in such a quest for clicks and friends being added? I donā€™t know. Never used MySpace.

Im older than you and nobody at my age cares so much about social media. Main things are FB and LinkedIn. But we never grew up with social media and the internet. The net was something new at age 20-25.

big social media sites have been around for 10-15 years.

At some point itā€™ll be interesting to see how much young people growing up with the net and social accounts really keep up plugging with all their Twitter and instagram accounts at age 40 or if they drop it due to family, job and being burnt out from it.

Or they grew up with it, and itā€™s ingrained in their DNA to do this shit till they die at 80.
Frankly while ā€œMySpaceā€ got big in high school for us. It ā€œMEANT NOTHINGā€œ in the real world. Ever. We hardly understood what MySpace was attempting to accomplish. We knew we can sign up and say stuff. But so? Meant nothing. Truly mattered NONE. My phone was a Razr in 2005.
VGA camera. Took ages to text. Itā€™s what we had. Anything MySpace related was relegated to the computer at best. Never the ā€œphoneā€. Was hardly ever mentioned in school. Ever. Far as I recall there wasnā€™t stats like comments and view etc.

Maddux4164

Itā€™s cliche. But far as Iā€™m concerned Apple came along in 2007 and gave us iPhone. Invented ā€œappsā€ via App Store in 2008. Was to the moon since. In my mind looking backā€¦ never understood the word ā€œdownload this appā€. That wasnā€™t a thing. We did download software/programs. You could call em apps. But that ā€wordā€ apps was coined by Apple IMO.

But as far as ā€œsocial mediaā€ yeah we had MySpace (barely) but no one cared or took it serious business

Playing anything online, multiplayer or competitively can cause anxiety for many people. Thatā€™s one reason a lot of really good players wonā€™t play competitively in tournaments for example. As a matter of fact, practically anything competitive from sports to contests can cause anxiety.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Basically what Iā€™m saying. Wasnā€™t until the App Store and mad adoption of being ā€œcoolā€ came along until it ā€œmatteredā€. Social media was around pre-iPhone. It simply NEVER MATTERED. Iā€˜d argue they made it popular even though they had fuck all to do with MySpace and Facebook.

Apple made social media POPULAR despite not developing it.

Thatā€™s my opinion looking BACK

Last edited:

Maddux4164

I say That knowing it wonā€™t be popular opinion

I say that being a teen in 00ā€™s and using MySpace in 2004 to create a ā€œtop 8ā€

Once we had the ā€œtechā€ In our own hands and didnā€™t need a computer 56k modem. It was game over.

No need for a computer. Got my iPhone and App Store. What else is needed? Nothing.

They GREW social media despite not being intended by them

Wow. This is a real article and a real topic. Earth has changed. It ainā€™t the climate. Itā€™s everyone becoming the biggest pansies ever known to man kind. Christ.

Gaming is the opposite of anxiety. You want REAL anxiety? Try knowing your next pay day isnā€™t till Friday and your electricity is being shut off on Monday. Thatā€™s anxiety. Not gaming. Fucks sake we have a soft world.
Get a better job then.

Maybe you should have done better in school to now have better job security.

Harsh? Well don't dump on people that have anxiety over games and not 'real life'. My real life is set because I made good choices and worked hard. Now, if anything, games cause me more stress.

Just because you have to stress over poverty doesn't mean we can't stress over other things.

Last edited:

I think the trend towards a more digital world(life on FB, life on Zoom, work from home on a PC) is what making more people perceive video games as real life and the source of this anxiety as much of their real lives are carried out in the digital realm as opposed to the way things used to be say 20 years ago when technology was still much of a novelty and worldwide participation was far lower thus the digital world wasnā€™t as rich. Some people are using their digital lives as replacements for a real world one.

I think this is dangerous and that the digital world is more harmful than helpful to creating healthy lifestyles. Anyone who can get so engrossed to have anxiety from it should probably unplug from games and the digital world and seek help, There is nothing wrong with getting help,

It's the desire to be good at something, and issues with competition. So y'all never raged at a multiplayer game? Or at a difficult boss? Or while playing a sport, didn't you want to be good at it? Didn't you ever miss a shot, get benched and feel the worst?

Some of you have no nuance and are horribly ignorant.

Also, if someone is expecting a dopamine hit that doesn't arrive, it can cause issues but as you're struggling to pay the bills, I guess that's above your intellect huh.

It's the desire to be good at something, and issues with competition. So y'all never raged at a multiplayer game? Or at a difficult boss? Or while playing a sport, didn't you want to be good at it? Didn't you ever miss a shot, get benched and feel the worst?

Some of you have no nuance and are horribly ignorant.

Also, if someone is expecting a dopamine hit that doesn't arrive, it can cause issues but as you're struggling to pay the bills, I guess that's above your intellect huh.

You sound like a cry baby,

whattheduck

Banned
I think a major problem with competitive gaming, especially with young men, is that it serves as an alternative competitive space wherein everyone is desparate to climbs the ranks of a digital hierarchy, but the results have no real world implications or benefits. Of course, that's not the case if you are good enough to go pro... because being at the top of a ranked ladder or whatever is going to happen naturally and be seen as an example of your skill. But those examples obviously represent a huge minority of players.

I'm saying all this from experience. I've spent hundreds of hours of my life playing Overwatch ranked, listening to players bitch and moan at each other over voice and text, and in many causes you can almost feel the anxiety in the things they say. Surely it's more healthy for myself and those other young men to put that spirit to compete and win within a dominance hierarchy in our jobs, or our physical appearance, or simply learning new things that might help better us in other real world ways. Instead we're all locked up in the safety of our rooms, sweating it out and using a lot of mental energy on a videogame, acting like it's as important as anything that actually tangibly affects our lives outside of our bedrooms.

Why? Because we're too afraid and too cautious to make headway in the real world. Therein lies pain, awkwardness, rejection, and meaningful social interaction. It's detached and ostensibly free from harm. It's simply more comfortable and fun (at least in certain moments) to try to dominate the virtual world instead of the real one. All so that we can say "look at this flashy symbol next to my username" as part of some shallow "need" or desire to impress other antisocial dweebs and geeks.

That said, it's also true that many people play ranked modes for the fun and teamwork aspect, and they don't *really* care if they climb a competitive ladder all that much. And I salute those people. However I think they're the ones who are probably more emotionally stable and settled in life, hence why they're not looking for achievements in a videogame as a means of focusing on a "worthwhile" goal. Sadly, I think most players who play these modes are trying to supplement a natural desire to compete and dominate a social hierarchy, therefore wasting their energies and efforts entirely. And we wonder why men are getting weaker and weaker...

Last edited:
Lol and you sound like a moron.

Big tough guy huh? Lol. Let's see how well that works out for you.

Iā€™m not the one crying about video games and comparing them to sports and such. Iā€™m plenty successful and donā€™t need some random socially inept person to make me feel good about myself. If that qualifies me as a moron in your books than I feel honored.

Iā€™m not the one crying about video games and comparing them to sports and such. Iā€™m plenty successful and donā€™t need some random socially inept person to make me feel good about myself. If that qualifies me as a moron in your books than I feel honored.
Calling me a crybaby made you sound like a moron, as does your stance that anxiety has to be rational and linked to something serious.

And how are sports different?

Last edited:
Top Bottom