• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witchfire PC early access Q4 2022, big dev update + latest guild gifs

Bartski

Gold Member

A ROGUELITE​

Armed with strange weapons and forbidden pagan magic, hunt a powerful witch holding the key to your salvation. Witchfire is a dark fantasy roguelite shooter from the creators of Painkiller, Bulletstorm, and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.
That is our current logline (a brief summary of the game that shows the main theme, character and conflict). It might change. I am using it here as a vague reminder of what the game is. For now, let’s focus on why we call Witchfire a “roguelite”.
The terminology is kind of messy. There are roguelike games, and roguelite games. Theoretically, the first kind is just like a certain ancient game called Rogue. Meaning features like “procedurally generated levels, turn-based gameplay, grid-based movement, and permanent death” are obligatory.
The second kind is more or less anything that vaguely resembles a roguelike. But in real life, we’ve seen roguelites called roguelikes and vice versa. No wonder, literally just a letter of difference.
From our perspective, the best reason we found to call a game a roguelite is a certain level of forgiveness, usually in the form of the so-called persistence layer. In human language it means that you don’t lose everything when you die.
A few examples from some better known roguelites… In Hades, you lose gold but keep gems, keys, and many other things that allow you to upgrade your hero and weapons. In Returnal, you lose your personal upgrades but not the upgrades on the guns. In Dead Cells, you can keep some of the gold instead of losing it all and all the unlocks are persistent.
To sum it up, hard-core roguelikes are saying: “when you die, you lose everything, but hopefully you also learn a lesson”. Meanwhile, roguelites are saying: “when you die, we do punish you for it, but we also let you keep some stuff so you can unlock and upgrade cool shit that might help you in the future.”
We’re like that. And more. Our persistence layer is big enough for us to consider calling the game a dark fantasy RPG shooter instead of dark fantasy roguelite shooter. But, at least for now, we’re totally fine with the latter. Roguelite it is.
“My name is Witchfire. Prepare to die.”

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

A ROGUELITE​

oh no no no, not like this... What happened to having a well designed campaign?

Hope the game doesn't disappoint since the reveal was awesome but, between this and some footage I watched with health bars and damage numbers popping up from enemies... Yeah I don't know.

Barakov

A ROGUELITE​

xJ7bRW4.jpg

oh no no no, not like this... What happened to having a well designed campaign?

Hope the game doesn't disappoint since the reveal was awesome but, between this and some footage I watched with health bars and damage numbers popping up from enemies... Yeah I don't know.
Came here to post this. Pretty much lost interest when that stupid buzzword was introduced. A shame because most of the other elements seemed great

Rickyiez

I've been following their twitter and updates for years already since the initial reveal , very happy to see it will finally be completed .

Also I'm not sure why are you guys surprised at it being Roguelite . It had been communicated from the start that the game will have procedure generated levels/world , just think of it as Diablo or Souls games with hubs .

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Glad people are still hyped for this and I hope it turns out great and is a success but I'm getting off this hype train now. I was SO fucking excited when it was originally shown off as a more horror inspired title with a darker tone and moody atmosphere, but now it just reminds me of any other roguelite/looter shooter title.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Early Access at the end of the year maybe? I think I'll pass. Really not a fan of Rogue games of any kind. A true FPS RPG is hard to come by it seems. And I think by that time I'll be playing Tiny Tina's Wonderlands on Steam anyway if it does turn out releasing six months after the EGS exclusivity.

Early Access is just a big turnoff to me signifying incomplete games being put on a digital shelf to market as a complete product when it is far from it.

I wish these people good luck.

Piggoro

Game looks neat. I'll check it if the reviews are good. I've been following their head guy (Adrian?) on twitter for a very long time - seems like a genuinely great person. So I'm happy for them.

S0ULZB0URNE

Was hoping for a console version and some type of multiplayer.

If not, I'll just dust off the hot rod to play if it has controller support.

Salz01

Been thinking about this game off and on. Was wondering what happened to it. Feels like they announced it like 5 years ago.

I lost hope for this project. It was announced what...5 years ago with a gameplay trailer and now they're just barely releasing an early access... which means another 2-3 years at the very least? and now all of a sudden its no long an RPG shooter but a roguelite shooter?

Dead game.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Don't worry they mean the game is ROGU ELITE, so an elite rogu game. What is a Rogu? Well it's Japanese for a Master title so it will be Master Elite game.

There's no reason they would just make a shitty rouge title like we have had for the last 2 years over and over AND OVER!!! right? RIGHT?!

Bartski

Gold Member
Delayed to "early 2023"

To be clear, Witchfire is still a rogue-lite dark fantasy first person shooter. That did not and will not change. But the way the player experiences the world has changed significantly. We’ve upgraded combat and exploration from arena style to semi-open world style, and that took time.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
And it'll come to Epic first so you won't see this on an actual platform until maybe 2024 or 2025. Big oof energy.

The curse of 2022 is real where everything is delayed.

Top Bottom