• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With a 23% Rounded Square Deadzone, Destiny 2 Feels Like Halo Reach. [Unresponsive]

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Destiny 2 is often mentioned as one of the best FPS' on console, because of the tight controls. - In todays standards, this is unfactual.

I came across this post on reddit:

Posted by
u/EternalDahaka

Deadzone | Dotgraph

Acceleration Curve

Interactive graph with requested options and relative sensitivity change(note curve used is different from Destiny's default)

As a broad note, unsurprisingly, Destiny's controls are nearly identical to the Halo titles from Reach onward, so players might be familiar with some of the options Halo 5, MCC and Infinite currently have.

Deadzone Options
Destiny uses an ~23% rounded square deadzone for it's deadzone. 23% is within a pretty common deadzone range, but it is very large, and notably larger than some of the default deadzone used in other games(Overwatch uses 15%, Call of Duty 7%). Larger deadzone can make precise adjustments more difficult, and generally make the controls feel less responsive.

The shape is actually from a circular deadzone being built on top of a square/axial one. The axial portion of the deadzone is responsible for the restricted diagonal movement around the axes, which makes diagonal cursor movements inaccurate to the stick angles. It can make it easier to make perfectly horizontal and vertical movement, but makes it much difficult and clunky to make diagonal movement. Warping the deadzone like that also requires more diagonal movement to see the same acceleration as cardinal movements.

Recent Halo games have offered separate radial and axial options, and that would address things here. Players that want to use circular deadzones with no restricted diagonal movement could set that up, and players who wanted to use exclusive axial deadzones could do that too, along with anything in-between. The slider for both the radial and axial deadzones could range from 0 to 0.30 so that players could play at the defaults with either exclusive deadzone if they preferred. Movement is less important but should get these options as well.

Acceleration curve and turn acceleration options
Destiny 2 seems to use the same curve as Halo Reach, but with a more drastic jump in acceleration, but not quite as large as the jump in Halo Infinite. The sensitivity cap has been increased recently, but previous that would have meant that the 'general' acceleration speeds before that jump would have been slower than in Reach, even if the max turn rate was the same at 10 sensitivity(a current issue with Infinite).

Now there's nothing inherently wrong with the curve itself, but players have any range of preference on what curve they'd like to use. Some might like the default, others might prefer a linear curve, and others might prefer something in-between. I'm not sure if the curve they're using specifically plays well with customization, but some level of granular customization would be requested. Players finding their preferred curve would help with small adjustments and general tracking.

Players have differing preferences on turn acceleration as well, and some feel like it can make aiming feel inconsistent. Just passing the threshold almost doubles your turn speed. Some players might like to completely disable it so acceleration feels smooth all the way up to max stick movement, and others might like to increase the multiplier to turn even faster.

With options for both, this would allow players to really fine-tune their acceleration. Players who like slower sensitivities might like using linear curves with decent turn accel to turn fast, while others might like playing at higher sensitivities with more exponential curves with no turn accel.

Separate horizontal and vertical sensitivity sliders.
It's not at all uncommon for console games to keep the vertical sensitivity lower than the horizontal, but this can come with a few issues. The first is simply that it can make aiming feel awkward for some players who want them to be the same.

The second is that it affects diagonal movement, skewing the angles towards the more sensitive axis. Your cursor angles are simply made up of horizontal and vertical movement, and if you change one, you get a different angle than the correct one. Because the horizontal is faster, all your diagonal angles are shifted horizontally. Ignoring the incorrect diagonal movement caused by the axial deadzone, this means if you correctly move the stick in the correct direction to track a target, the crosshair can fall off target because the angle was altered.

A separate vertical sensitivity slider is requested to address this. Plenty of players are used to this kind of angle warping because of how common it is in console games, but this would allow players who want the same X/Y sensitivity and correct diagonals to access it.

It would also be important that the slider values are correct. Many games that offer separate options have them incorrect, so even if they're set the same the vertical is still lower(i.e. recent DOOMs, Halos, Splitgate, Shadow Warrior, Call of Duty etc.).

Unified acceleration threshold
The dotgraph shows this better, but the threshold for the acceleration jump is broken into separate threshold for vertical and horizontal acceleration, and these thresholds overlap slightly. When passing the horizontal threshold, you only additional horizontal acceleration and when passing the vertical threshold, you get only vertical acceleration.

This is a problem because, like with differing axis sensitivities, this also affects diagonal movement in the same way. If only horizontal turn acceleration is triggered, then your cursor angle becomes more horizontally bias. If only the vertical acceleration is triggering, then your cursor movement more vertically than expected. Many other games have the turn acceleration trigger affect both the horizontal and vertical axes evenly, and that would be the fix to address that here.

Aim assist options
Many might think playing without aim assist isn't possible, but it definitely is, and options for it should always be offered. Bullet magnetism is tied with weapon balance, but slowdown and magnetism could be offered.

Ideally separate sliders for each could be offered, so players could customize what they want. Some players dislike being pulled off target, and could reduce the magnetism while keeping the slowdown. Some might think the slowdown is awkward, and could control that while keeping the magnetism.

Of course, a simple toggle can work too. As a minor thing, it'd be nice to have this option toggle the menu aim assist too when disabled.

Conclusion
This is a lot to ask, given how long it took just to get ADS and higher sensitivity options, but these are important options for thumbstick aiming, and something that would help Destiny 2 play much better.

A "simple" solution would be to add custom controls, like Apex Legends did from the get-go 3 years ago:

fineaim.png

As a former Destiny player with over 5000 hours clocked in on both games, from 2014-2019 and 3 years with Apex Legends (2019-2022), I would love to try Destiny again with updated controls, but as it is now - it feels really bad - extremely unresponsive.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I love when people use logic and science to tell me I shouldn't like the thing that I like.

It changes my mind every time.
Destiny controls much better then a lot of other shooters to be honest
I don't know, I play my fair share of shooters with controller and I always thought (and still think) that Destiny feels exceptionally great to play.
Okay, to prove my point - try installing Apex Legends, set deadzone to 'none'.
23% deadzone in a round square is not good. You can get "used" to it, but it feels sluggish when you've tried other shooters with minimum deadzone.

Have you guys actually tried moving the right stick in small circular movements in Destiny? - try it.

Dutchy

Okay, to prove my point - try installing Apex Legends, set deadzone to 'none'.
23% deadzone in a round square is not good. You can get "used" to it, but it feels sluggish when you've tried other shooters with minimum deadzone.

Have you guys actually tried moving the right stick in small circular movements in Destiny? - try it.
You're comparing a highly competitive shooter to a mainly PvE one. Ever wonder if one specific control scheme is more applicable to a specific sort of game? Destiny 2 and Apex are pretty much my main games right now. And I go back and forth on a weekly basis.

I find myself tweaking and changing Apex' settings almost every few days since nothing feels 'quite right' (I drop 2 - 3.5k damage on average every game still). Destiny, no matter what, always feels *great* to me.

I don't care much for numbers and facts when it leaves countless of other details out of the equation. Destiny feeling good is factual imo.

jadedm17

^ This.
And the post before it.
Destiny always felt great.

The controls are what lost you, not the microtransactions and steps backwards every update?
As a Destiny player of over 1500 hours I enjoyed my time and never had an issue with the actual controls which I always found tight and responsive.
The content and same enemies reskinned? Eh

Last edited:

buenoblue

Deadzone is important but there's so many other factors at play. Actual framerate, controller polling time, server polling time, acceleration curves and so on. That's why you can't just put deazone to zero on any game and it feels great, there's more to it.

Dutchy

Deadzone is important but there's so many other factors at play. Actual framerate, controller polling time, server polling time, acceleration curves and so on. That's why you can't just put deazone to zero on any game and it feels great, there's more to it.
That's what I was thinking too. Actual game mechanics might have a role to play in it as well. Think hitboxes/player models, hitscan/projectile and aim assist. Even the art design could be a complimentary factor. In Destiny you can see your opponents crisp and clear even from a long distance. And it doesn't make killing them neccesarily harder unless you're using a shotgun or sidearm. In Apex, the ultra-responsiveness actually makes long distance battles practically impossible with most guns (And yes I've changed my per-optic settings).

Of course, whichever you prefer is still subjective. But it still does not take away from the fact that whatever Destiny has going on, works incredibly well for Destiny. And even when it's 'bad' mechanically speaking, the vast majority of people find it exceptionally good.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
BF2042 has a lot of control customisation but I felt like the default setting was completely broken. Most of us don't even touch these setting either .

If you fuck up the default setting, excluding camera sensitivity, there's a big chance the player won't even try to modify the control randomly.

I think CoD always been tight and responsive. Destiny 2 is pretty good also but auto aim plays a big role against the AI. Feet movement is good also, slippery but I believe people like it the way it is.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I'm now a very casual FPS player. Only played Overwatch and Destiny 2 the past few years, nothing competitive.

Both have always felt really good to me and I don't think that's going to change.

This math and all these graphs might matter to a pro though, I don't know.

nemiroff

Gold Member
For some reason I'm not able to control Apex for shit with the defaults (On PC but like to lean back with a controller, sorry..), feel like I'm trying to juggle 3000 balls on top of a Burj Khalifa. But in COD I have consistent aim that usually carries me to the top of the lists. IDK.. Destiny 2 felt ok to me, but then again I'm probably not as nuanced as some pros out there.

Edit: I guess perhaps amount of hours in each title thus combined with muscle memory might be why...

Last edited:

Neolombax

This seems overly complicated for something I already enjoy immensely. I am however at the casual side of the spectrum so these things don't bother me as much. I'm landing headshots every now and then in PVP and PVE, I'm having a good time.

Sygma

Destiny has never been great, it just make the player believe that they can line up good / crazy shots by having stupid large hit boxes making headshots register too easily and then you get the gfx / sfx to support the spectacle

It's good at what it does and thats

If we talk technical, borderlands 3 utterly demolish it

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Console users feel good when the game does more of the aiming for them... who would of thought?

Honestly someone needs to get Splatoon gyro aiming into console ASAP at least then your doing all the work yourself, not something I can claim for many console games.

Shubh_C63

I mean, do people notice these things while active play or this is just tests for sake of it.

There are not many people that will peg Destiny down for its gunplay, which is excellent, but there had to be one I guess.

Amaranty

Destiny gunplay has always felt solid but I think it's due to the strong aim assist and bullet magnetism.

Still, the more options you have the better. Halo MCC and Halo Infinite are pretty good in that regard, since you can change both axial and center deadzone. Just enough axial deadzone is good so that your aim reticle won't drift too much to a different direction, when trying to do straight movements.

NEbeast

Console users feel good when the game does more of the aiming for them... who would of thought?

Honestly someone needs to get Splatoon gyro aiming into console ASAP at least then your doing all the work yourself, not something I can claim for many console games.
Console users are aiming with a stick, quit crying. The PC crowd who cry about aa are hilarious, you're aiming with your whole damn arm, plus you can do movements not possible on controller. I'm sorry but you're just bad if you cry about aa while playing kbm.

It is a trash deadzone, and I'm not surprised by the reactions of the people on here.

Still, they've done a pretty decent job with D2, the sensitivity options are much better, they added console FOV. 120fps for Crucible (Crucible still sucks though, and sad they won't let you uncap the frames for other stuff, oh and 1080p for 120hz Crucible on Series X? C'mon man surely you can do better)

We just got the roadmap for Year 7 of Siege:
o206mqh.png

Notice aim control personalization and new presets (and FOV, FINALLY!) listed in the coming to consoles sometime not this next season but somewhere in the tail 3/4 of Year 7. This game has had lots of problems with its aim mechanics on controller, which are exacerbated by the complete lack of aim assist in the competitive modes.

Though funnily enough, IIRC it has always had dead zone adjustments.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Console users are aiming with a stick, quit crying. The PC crowd who cry about aa are hilarious, you're aiming with your whole damn arm, plus you can do movements not possible on controller. I'm sorry but you're just bad if you cry about aa while playing kbm.

I am sorry you are so upset about people making fun of your game aiming for you.

Perhaps sit down and take a cold drink, you will have to do it all manually though you can't tip the glass 80% of the way towards your mouth for the liquid to go in, just remember that.

If only Microsoft would stick a gyroscope in their controllers and then this would all be a thing of the past. Fortnite and even Apex are adding these as an option and players are finding them a great option to enable more refind controls without relying on an aim bot to do it for them.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Just imagine what your could have accomplished if you put those 5000 hours into something productive.

I remember playing a lot of Destiny but when I tried to play Destiny 2 a few months ago, it was zero welcoming to new players, I dropped it really fast.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I'm a super casual fps player and Destiny 2 feels great to me.

Put cyberpunk in Raytrasing mode, then you can experience some true hell when it comes to controls.
Cyberpunk in performance mode is also hideous! Worse controls than Destiny 2.

Here's a "trick" to even it out a bit, but still shitty controls:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Splatoon is still the GOAT.

People think your joking, but their are legitimately people who have not played splatoon or tried the gyro control options on things like Fortnite or Apex (Switch only, why? PS4 and PS5 have gyro's) Horizon Forbidden West can also make use of gyro if the option is turned on.

Gyro not only removes the need for Aim assist, it allows for a control scheme that feels far more responsive and in control of the user, because it is, no ones dragging control away from you because your within the 20% auto aim sweet spot, you are landing all those shots yourself.

LordCBH

The controls feel right to me on PC. But on PS5 they feel sluggish and unresponsive, which is weird cause the PS4 version feels fine.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The controls feel right to me on PC. But on PS5 they feel sluggish and unresponsive, which is weird cause the PS4 version feels fine.
That's right! I felt the deadzone way more on PS5 with 120fps. The deadzone Vs. 30fps "aligns" better I guess.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Destiny 2 is often mentioned as one of the best FPS' on console, because of the tight controls.
Animated GIF

I literally never heard anyone say that destiny 2 is the best FPS on console, and never heard that it was because of the tight controls.

Always been a fan of halo, but the controls always felt like poop, and it felt the same way in destiny.

I'd say Titanfall and call of duty are hands down the best tight controls ever on a controller.

ethomaz

Banned
Animated GIF

I literally never heard anyone say that destiny 2 is the best FPS on console, and never heard that it was because of the tight controls.

Always been a fan of halo, but the controls always felt like poop, and it felt the same way in destiny.

I'd say Titanfall and call of duty are hands down the best tight controls ever on a controller.
It is constantly in TOP 10 FPS with best gunplay... well it is constantly in the TOP5... and TOP3.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Animated GIF

You need to get around more gaming circles then.
Destiny 2 gets mega praise for it's controls.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You need to get around more gaming circles then.
Destiny 2 gets mega praise for it's controls.
I've tried googling it, but besides I can read it on neogaf after the acquisition from Sony, then I can't really seem to find any place where the controls are getting praised for these controls.

Top Bottom