• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With console gamers moving more and more to digital, will a Steam style 2 hour trial/refund system be implemented?

Stuart360

This was more in responce to what Sony are doing with the 2 hour trials on the PSPlus top teir.
It just made me think with console gaming moving every closer to full digital, will Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo introduce a Steam style 2 hour trial/refund system long term?.

I know some console gamers dont like hearing this but this gen is almost certainly the last full generation with a disk drive. By the time we reach the end of this gen digital buying will probably be around the 95% range i'm sure, hell Xbox is already almost at that level with some games already.

Do you think after this gen, doing a Steam style system is the 'only' war forward for digital only consoles. I certainly can see a lot of gamers grumbling if PS6/Xbox 5 launch digital only and there is no Steam style 2 hour system in place.

In fact wasnt the main reason Steam brought in the 2 hour refund system because of European law?. Maybe a Steam style system will HAVE to be implemented on digital only consoles going forward.

Its certainly a good thing for consumers, anyway you look at it.

S0OI31.gif

Fbh

MS maybe.
I don't see Nintendo or Sony (outside of their paid trials tied to the new Ps+) offering the options except if they are forced by law in some places. If the EU forces them they'll probably just implement a system in those specific locations (like they do with pre order cancellations)

Steam might dominate on PC but they are still competing with other stores, key resellers (as far as I know Valve doesn't take a cut from Keys) and piracy. So it's in their interest to be consumer friendly.
The shitty thing about digital on consoles is that you are basically locked into a monopoly. Don't like some policy on your digital only Ps6/Switch2? Well too fucking bad.

Last edited:
In fact wasnt the main reason Steam brought in the 2 hour refund system because of European law?
Thats the way I understand it. We can blame Europe and these milk toast, mamby pamby, yellow bellied gamers who simply want their money back.
When I was a kid you broke the plastic on a game box and the game was somehow broken, your only option was to trade in that game for an exact copy, NO REFUNDS.
It made me tougher, made me RESEARCH games, I relied on reviews, friends, word of mouth.
Now people just walk into a store and you have games on platters like grocery stores where you try a sample piece of this new cheese.
If you don't like it just spit it out.
Reviews? who needs them. What are your friends playing? Who cares.
Just grab and spit.

Top Bottom