• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 03•02-04•18 - Not even Death can catch Black Panther as it legs past Red Sparrow, hits $500m+ Domestic

xaosslug

DlrDMHh.jpg
Pr7x38a.jpg
rHVeVtj.jpg
bvwmyEi.jpg
6krtfMk.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
97% Black Panther
eptv7.gif
51% Red Sparrow
8mB0Q.gif
15% Death Wish (2018)
8vteV.gif
82% Game Night
5f4ew.gif
59% Peter Rabbit

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

Box Office: ‘Black Panther’ Tops $500 Million, Dominates ‘Red Sparrow,’ ‘Death Wish’

Disney-Marvel’s “Black Panther” is continuing its super-heroic run, grossing a stunning $501.1 million in North America in only 17 days and becoming the 10th highest grosser of all time.

“Black Panther,” starring Chadwick Boseman, dominated domestic moviegoing in its third weekend with $65.7 million at 4,084 locations — the third-highest weekend of all time after “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” at $90.2 million and “Avatar” at $68.5 million.

“Black Panther” is now the second-highest grossing Marvel movie of all time at the domestic box office, surpassing “Avengers: Age of Ultron” this weekend at $459 million and trailing only “The Avengers” at $623.4 million. “Black Panther” has a realistic shot at reaching that level in the coming weeks and may eventually top “Jurassic World” at $652 million and “Titanic” at $659 million for the third highest domestic total of all time.

Two new titles opened with moderate results that might have been higher without a must-see title like “Black Panther” in multiplexes. Jennifer Lawrence’s spy thriller “Red Sparrow” launched with $17 million at 3,056 sites for Fox and Bruce Willis’ “Death Wish” debuted with $13 million at 2,847 venues for MGM.

Warner Bros.’ second weekend of comedy thriller “Game Night” followed in fourth with $10.7 million from 3,502 sites, edging Sony’s fourth weekend of CGI-live action “Peter Rabbit” with $10 million at 3,607 locations. “Peter Rabbit” has connected with family audiences for $84 million in its first 24 days.

Paramount’s second weekend of “Annihilation” finished in sixth with $5.7 million at 2,112 venues, followed by Sony’s 11th weekend of its sturdy action comedy “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” with $4.5 million at 2,313 sites. “Jumanji” has now grossed $393.2 million in 75 days.

Thanks to “Black Panther” and “Jumanji,” overall domestic box office for 2018 is up an impressive 10.9% to $2.12 billion, according to comScore.

More to come

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Question, because I haven't kept up: It's well known that China doesn't exactly have the hots for black people. Was Black Panther even released over there?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Question, because I haven't kept up: It's well known that China doesn't exactly have the hots for black people. Was Black Panther even released over there?

It comes out March 9th there. Supposedly presales are very strong. I think it has a good shot at staying at Number #1 here next week too.

Jennifer Lawrence hasn't been putting butts in the seats lately. She could use a solid commercial win

Atrus

Gold Member
Movies 2 to 5 remind me of the direct to VHS films you'd see at blockbuster back in the day. Quite surprised and happy about Black Panther aiming for $1B. I'll watch Jumanji and I, Tonya when it comes to Netflix or the like.

Nobo-ty

Neo Member
I wonder if I should go see Black Panther. I just watched Ragnarok and really didn’t like it, it was obsessed with putting in jokes at every little moment it could to the point of irritation.

BANGS

Banned
Did anyone expect Red Sparrow to do well by comparison? A one-dimensional blatant ripoff of an Avengers character portrayed by today's most over saturated and talentless actress?

Knob Creek

Banned
God damn The Avengers bump is real. A character essentially unknown to the mainstream 2 years ago has a $900M movie in under a month, blowing away Justice League with 3 of the most known characters in any medium. Thor 3 was also a nearly $900M and Thor was a fucking joke prior to 2012.

full

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wonder if I should go see Black Panther. I just watched Ragnarok and really didn’t like it, it was obsessed with putting in jokes at every little moment it could to the point of irritation.

Black Panther doesn't even get close to doing this. I was a little annoyed at how much Disney made Thor 3:Ragnarok a comedy too.

Did anyone expect Red Sparrow to do well by comparison? A one-dimensional blatant ripoff of an Avengers character portrayed by today's most over saturated and talentless actress?

Nope. This is going to be her Catwoman.

And yes, I also noticed that she's bootleg Black Widow.

God damn The Avengers bump is real. A character essentially unknown to the mainstream 2 years ago has a $900M movie in under a month, blowing away Justice League with 3 of the most known characters in any medium. Thor 3 was also a nearly $900M and Thor was a ****ing joke prior to 2012.

full

LMAO at that .gif!!!

It's more than just "an Avengers bump." You'll see when Ant Man 2 comes out.

Black Panther doesn't even get close to doing this. I was a little annoyed at how much Disney made Thor 3:Ragnarok a comedy too.

I liked Thor 3 though, lol. Putting the "comic" back in "comics."

mckmas8808

I liked Thor 3 though, lol. Putting the "comic" back in "comics."

I liked it too. It's the best Thor movie to me. But thought they could have dialed it back a tad. The part that's the worse is when they were going to cut Thor's hair and they found a way to make that part extra silly/jokey. I was like can anything be a little serious in this movie.

I liked it too. It's the best Thor movie to me. But thought they could have dialed it back a tad. The part that's the worse is when they were going to cut Thor's hair and they found a way to make that part extra silly/jokey. I was like can anything be a little serious in this movie.

Death was serious.

Doom85

Death was serious.

YMMV on that. Heavy Ragnarok spoilers:
Hela killing the Warriors Three felt like a cheap shock move (one of them dying would have been more than enough) and at worst felt like the director continuing to give the middle finger to elements of the first two films. There was no reason to have Thor and Jane suddenly split off-screen, as they were barely on Earth on the movie so it made sense she wouldn't appear. Likewise, I understand that Jamie Alexander was too busy to film for 3, but not any line explaining where she was? Come on, I thought we were past the lazy days of X-men 3 and all the "hey, where's that significant character (Nightcrawler) from the previous film? Eh, don't worry about it!" I also couldn't believe they didn't have Thor finding out about his friends' deaths afterwards, like come on, they were among his closest friends and we get zero closure on that? And of course, that stupid rock guy making the joke as Asgard falls? It doesn't even make sense, they can't rebuild Asgard while the demon is there so why bring it up in the first place? Man, I hated that moment. Guardians 2 and Black Panther let their emotional scenes near the end play out without the need for a joke abruptly interrupting it, but Ragnarok refused to take itself seriously in that regard. For the record, I do like the film, but it has some major flaws. In terms of last year's superhero films, I would put it slightly above Spider-man Homecoming and Justice League (also both good but with some significant problems) but it was definitely not as good to me as Logan, Guardians 2, and Wonder Woman.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
And i don’t really blame them, hesus what a summer.

Everybody's runnin'. It has a domino effect because now other studios have to wonder if they should keep their release date with Rampage moving. Super Troopers 2 might stay on 4/20 since they're a low budget stoner comedy. But Amy Schumer's movie might move, which messes with Anna Farris' Overboard.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Hela killing the Warriors Three felt like a cheap shock move (one of them dying would have been more than enough) and at worst felt like the director continuing to give the middle finger to elements of the first two films. There was no reason to have Thor and Jane suddenly split off-screen, as they were barely on Earth on the movie so it made sense she wouldn't appear. Likewise, I understand that Jamie Alexander was too busy to film for 3, but not any line explaining where she was? Come on, I thought we were past the lazy days of X-men 3 and all the "hey, where's that significant character (Nightcrawler) from the previous film? Eh, don't worry about it!" I also couldn't believe they didn't have Thor finding out about his friends' deaths afterwards, like come on, they were among his closest friends and we get zero closure on that? And of course, that stupid rock guy making the joke as Asgard falls? It doesn't even make sense, they can't rebuild Asgard while the demon is there so why bring it up in the first place? Man, I hated that moment. Guardians 2 and Black Panther let their emotional scenes near the end play out without the need for a joke abruptly interrupting it, but Ragnarok refused to take itself seriously in that regard. For the record, I do like the film, but it has some major flaws. In terms of last year's superhero films, I would put it slightly above Spider-man Homecoming and Justice League (also both good but with some significant problems) but it was definitely not as good to me as Logan, Guardians 2, and Wonder Woman.

I agree with everything you said, except the Spiderman Homecoming stuff. I liked that movie more than you clearly. What didn't you like about that movie?

Nobo-ty

Neo Member

I liked Kate Blanchett and Goldblum in the film, the comedy was good, it was just a tad too much of it all over the place and even in spots I didn’t think proper to me. It was like they were trying to put it into every moment that wasn’t a serious action scene. I liked the weird stuff like Hulk fighting a giant wolf, or being on a junk planet. But I’d personally put Spider-Man Homecoming above Ragnarok, I enjoyed every bit of Homecoming and it wasn’t a generic bad guy trying to get world domination plan, it was a, I’m a small time bad guy just trying to make some money.

Doom85

I agree with everything you said, except the Spiderman Homecoming stuff. I liked that movie more than you clearly. What didn't you like about that movie?

Pros:

-Tom Holland continues to give a good performance
-Vulture is an excellent villain
-Ned was a fun character
-Tony didn't overshadow the movie

Cons:

-Aunt May didn't feel like she had much characterization compared to the previous film continuities. Kinda disappointed that it's this version that first discovers Peter's secret, and while it is a funny moment I think Peter openly telling her and/or her revealing she knew all along would have been better
-just call her Mary Jane Watson! I liked the character during the film, and when the reveal came I would have been fine with her being Mary Jane, but who is Michelle Jones? Seriously, the supposedly definitive film version of Spidey and he's ending up with a completely different named character. The initials being the same are irrelevant to me, that's like a Superman movie making Lana Lang the Daily Planet reporter and Lois Lane takes Lex Luthor's role, it's just ridiculous.
-we're back to Flash being a one-dimensional bully. Sure, it's a different take with him more of an academic type, but after Amazing Spider-man started to develop the character like the comics did, it's disappointing to see the character get simplified again
-it feels like they're really afraid to cover characters already in previous films which I think is ridiculous. Those characters have potential for different stories, it's not like one or two films covered all story potential with them. So the lack of Norman, Harry, Gwen, and J. Jonah Jameson does bother me, especially as they're supposedly said they have no intentions of having any of the Goblins show up. It's like they're so afraid that they have to be totally different but end up making it feel less Spidey to me. I mean, I like new additions like Ned but they shouldn't be afraid to have some of the original characters as well.
-most of the movie's fights are alright but the final fight against Vulture wasn't that good
-this is related to the whole "scared to be like the previous films" but there should have been an allusion to Ben. Saying May is "going through things" is hardly enough, that sounds more like her job is difficult or something than a massive thing like her husband recently died. Yeah, don't do the origin story again, I agree, but they missed a golden opportunity in one scene. When Tony is about to take away Peter's suit and Peter argues against it, that would have been the PERFECT time to allude to Ben. You don't even have to name-drop him, just have Peter say he failed someone close to him once by not using his powers for to help people and he can't let that happen again. It adds so much more to this version of Peter than just "he helps people because it's the right thing to do", that motivation is shared by a massive number of MCU heroes and it makes this version of Peter feel less unique. Yeah, we still know Ben's death happened but think of kids who aren't familiar with Spidey and this is their first introduction to him, they'll completely miss out on what makes Peter's motivation unique

It's still a fairly good movie, don't get me wrong. I just feel there's only a few elements that really stand out but there's a decent amount of stuff holding it down. I'll be honest, I wish they had incorporated some of the Amazing Spider-man continuity into the MCU. Recast a lot of people, sure, but it would allowed us to have a developed Spider-man instead of hitting the reset button AGAIN and having him back in high school. I want to see adult Peter already! And yes, while Amazing Spider-man 2 was rushing a lot of elements too quickly, at least it felt like things were moving forward, and now we're back to square one. It's just disappointing to me as I want to see where the story goes further not constantly taking steps back. Heck, they could have let Emma Stone return in a Spider-Gwen film, which she has said in an interview she is willing to do, which I would have loved as she was one of the best parts of that continuity.

mckmas8808

I can understand those Cons. I to wish they weren't so timid about covering people from the past Spidey movies and just own them completely.

Top Bottom