• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 04•06-08•18 - A Quiet Place roars into weekend box office, blocks Player's 2nd hold, and Cena's lead debut

xaosslug

bOg2rOo.jpg
hWirwA7.jpg
mIyQEtQ.jpg
z1UFGDo.jpg
SAbD1vU.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
97% A Quiet Place
9wcOG.gif
74% Ready Player One
kavuF.gif
83% Blockers
8vteV.gif
97% Black Panther
0hJB1.gif
70% I Can Only Imagine
-
CBq5r.gif
80% Chappaquiddick
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
34% The Miracle Season

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

Box Office: ‘A Quiet Place’ Sounds Off With Huge $50 Million Debut

“A Quiet Place” was looking to make noise at the weekend box office, and it delivered.

Paramount Pictures’ thriller directed by John Krasinski soared past estimates to a massive $50.3 million opening in 3,508 theaters. That’s enough to land it the second highest domestic opening of the year to date behind “Black Panther,” which opened in February with $202 million. Since its debut at South by Southwest, “A Quiet Place” has garnered rave reviews. It currently holds an solid 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, with a B+ CinemaScore.

“This much bigger than expected debut comes in an era of ongoing popularity for the horror genre that in North America alone last year generated over $1 billion in box office,” Paul Dergarabedian, a media analyst at comScore, said.

At No. 2, Steven Spielberg’s “Ready Player One” made $25 million in 4,234 locations in its second weekend, bringing its total domestic grosses up to $97 million. The Warner Bros.’ film has been a strong contender overseas, where it has made $169 million.

Another weekend release, “Blockers,” secured third place at the box office. Universal’s raunchy R-rated comedy — directed by Kay Cannon and starring John Cena, Leslie Mann, and Ike Barinholtz — released in line with projections for an impressive $21.4 million debut in 3,379 theaters. “Blockers” has been another buzzy title from SXSW, earning an 83% on Rotten Tomatoes along with a B CinemaScore.

“We could not be more pleased with the result this weekend,” Universal’s head of distribution Jim Orr said. “Kay Cannon and her directorial debut knocked it out of the park. It really overperformed.”

Meanwhile, the eighth frame of “Black Panther” landed at No. 4 with $8.8 million in 2,747 locations. Domestically, the Marvel film earned $665.4 million, making it the third-biggest release of all time behind “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and “Avatar.” Globally, “Black Panther” has grossed $1.29 billion.

Rounding out the top five is Lionsgate and Roadside Attractions’ “I Can Only Imagine,” with $8.4 million in 2,894 theaters. The faith-based film has been a force at the box office, making $69 million in four weeks.

Two other newcomers, “Chappaquiddick” and “The Miracle Season” premiered slightly above estimates. Entertainment Studios’ “Chappaquiddick” opened with $5.9 million at 1,560 locations, while LD Entertainment’s “The Miracle Season” saw $4 million at 1,707 locations.

While the 2018 box office is down 2.1% compared to 2017, this weekend is up 35% compared to the same weekend last year.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Last edited:
Domestic Top 3 All-Time

1. Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope: The Next Generation
2. Dances With Tall Smurfs
3. The latest movie off the MCU Assembly Line

Mistakes were made

HeresJohnny

Just got back from seeing A Quiet Place — loved it. There’s almost no dialogue in the entire film: it’s all carried on expressions, gestures, and sign language. Was super impressed with it outside of a couple annoyances related to details. It’s probably the best film I’ve seen this year.

natjjohn

Didn’t think Quiet Place would rake in so hard.

Any budget info on Ready Player One? Is it a bomba?

octiny

Banned
Any budget info on Ready Player One? Is it a bomba?

175M. Large success.

Ready Player One is massive in China. It's 2nd week will be 200-300% higher than it's first week over there. Which will easily push it to 700+ million WW, and may hit 800+ by the end of it's run. Pushing it to a nice profit of at least 250+ Million when you take 2.5x it's budget (usually how much a movie needs before it turns a profit).

womfalcs3

Banned
Disney is going to have a record year... I believe they set the record in 2016 with 3 billion dollars in domestic revenue.

So far in 2018, they have amassed 880 million dollars, and they have the following releases hitting this year:

Avengers: Infinity War 4/27/18

Solo: A Star Wars Story (3D) 5/25/18

The Incredibles 2 6/15/18

Ant-Man and the Wasp 7/6/18

Disney's Christopher Robin 8/3/18

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms 11/2/18

Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 1/21/18

Mary Poppins Returns 12/25/18

A Quiet Place was surprisingly good. Very well made movie. Glad it did well, but now I'm worried that Paramount is going to start shitting out sequels when it was perfect as-is.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
175M. Large success.

Ready Player One is massive in China. It's 2nd week will be 200-300% higher than it's first week over there. Which will easily push it to 700+ million WW, and may hit 800+ by the end of it's run. Pushing it to a nice profit of at least 250+ Million when you take 2.5x it's budget (usually how much a movie needs before it turns a profit).

No way that movie makes $800 Million though.

octiny

Banned
No way that movie makes $800 Million though.

700 million is a lock. With a 90% chance at climbing just over 800m. On the conservative side it'll make another 100-125 in China by the end of it's run. Around 100 in Japan is a given when it opens the 20th. 125 in all other markets besides China/ USA/ Japan. Along with another 40-55 in the US. Even if we aim for the low end, that puts it around 790 million. Word of mount is great. So I have no doubt they'll try to push for 800.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
700 million is a lock. With a 90% chance at climbing just over 800m. On the conservative side it'll make another 100-125 in China by the end of it's run. Around 100 in Japan is a given when it opens the 20th. 125 in all other markets besides China/ USA/ Japan. Along with another 40-55 in the US. Even if we aim for the low end, that puts it around 790 million. Word of mount is great. So I have no doubt they'll try to push for 800.

I haven't seen it yet, but I hope you are right. I'm not used to China carrying a movie that much compared to the rest of the world.

shira

Finally saw Black Panther. It was ok.

Buckled and read RPO spoilers, seems corny af.

Damn almost Avengers time

LordPezix

Nice! Glad to see AQP did so well! Looked good from the trailer.

I'll see RPO once it hits redbox,stream,torrent..

Top Bottom