• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 04•27-29•18 - Avengers screams over Quiet, takes all-time opening weekend crown w/ $250m opening

xaosslug

cLK5j6t.jpg
6wdUtEj.jpg
RJfsvyF.jpg
yGCGiFG.jpg
ZRbMPev.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
84% Avengers: Infinity War
9wcOG.gif
95% A Quiet Place
8mB0Q.gif
34% I Feel Pretty
3Pj0x.gif
51% Rampage (2018)
0hJB1.gif
96% Black Panther
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
91% Disobedience

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

Avengers assembled in full force at the box office this weekend.

“Avengers: Infinity War” took North America by storm, opening with $250 million in 4,474 theaters. While numbers could fluctuate before an official tally comes in on Monday, that would surpass “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” for the biggest domestic opening weekend of all time. “The Force Awakens” bowed with $248 million in 2015.

The superhero tentpole, which cost between $300 million and $400 million, opened worldwide with $630 million, making it the highest global opening weekend of all time, even without China debuting this weekend.

Prior to “Infinity War,” the original “Avengers” had the highest opening to date for a Marvel film, debuting with $207.4 million. Its sequel, “Age of Ultron,” launched with $191 million. The first movie earned $623 million in North America, while the second made $459 million.

Joe and Anthony Russo directed from a script by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely. “Infinity War” picks up two years after the events of “Captain America: Civil War” with the Avengers teaming up with the Guardians of the Galaxy to stop the evil Thanos (Josh Brolin) from inter-galactic dominance.

The heroic ensemble cast includes Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man, Chris Hemsworth’s Thor, Chris Evans’ Captain America, Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow, Chadwick Boseman’s Black Panther, Chris Pratt’s Star Lord, Benedict Cumberbatch’s Doctor Strange, and Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk.

With no other films opening in wide release in the wake of “Infinity War,” Paramount Pictures’ “A Quiet Place” secured second place with $10.6 million in 3,565 locations. The thriller — directed by John Krasinski and co-starring Krasinski and Emily Blunt — continues its impressive run with a domestic total of $148 million in four weeks. Due to the film’s monster success, Paramount’s head Jim Gianopulos announced a sequel was in the works.

In third place, STX’s “I Feel Pretty” scored $8 million from 3,440 theaters in its second weekend. That brings the North American tally on Amy Schumer’s latest comedy to $29 million. Meanwhile, Dwayne Johnson’s “Rampage” dropped down to the fourth slot, earning $7.1 million in 3,508 locations. The Warner Bros. actioner has made $77.9 million domestically in its three weeks of release.

Rounding out the weekend is another Marvel title, “Black Panther.” In its 11th weekend, the tentpole made $4.6 million, bringing its domestic total to $688 million. Globally, “Black Panther” has collected $1.3 billion. With “Infinity War’s” massive debut, Marvel’s 19 titles have collectively grossed $15 billion worldwide.

“Infinity War” has ignited a spark in the box office. Prior to this weekend, the year to date box office was down 2.8%. After this weekend, the 2018 box office is up 3.2% compared to 2017, according to comScore.

“‘Avengers: Infinity War’ demonstrated yet another Marvel superhero power,” Paul Dergarabedian, an analyst at comScore, said. “The ability to reverse a downtrending box office year with a single knockout punch and literally change the box office fortunes of Hollywood almost overnight.”

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Not a surprise if it takes the crown from TFA.

Curious to see what the repeat views are and whether people like it enough to revisit.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Insane, not derailing the thread, but Black Panther having a higher rating than Infinity War just confirms once more that these things can't be really trusted. I loved BP but c'mon...

Insane, not derailing the thread, but Black Panther having a higher rating than Infinity War just confirms once more that these things can't be really trusted. I loved BP but c'mon...

More people went to see a movie = / quality of a movie

IDK how you isolate Black Panther from Avatar, Star Wars, Titanic, etc, except that you're personally offended that it has a large aggregate score on RT.

IW is more or less a pure action-fest that doesn't make sense outside of the context of the previous films in the MCU. Black Panther is largely a disconnected film that stands apart from the MCU, and is unprecedented in its themes.

https://thebrag.com/avengers-infinity-war-more-same-marvel/

https://www.salon.com/2018/04/27/th...dled-mess-but-possibly-a-dangerous-precedent/

Now I do not necessarily agree with the titles of these articles, but their content and supporting details are on point.

Xiaoki

Another record it could possibly take from The Force Awakens is the quickest movie to reach $1 billion at the box office.

It took TFA 12 days.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I was pleasantly surprised with Infinity War, it deserves that success.

The key to infinity war is dat ending, otherwise it doesn't hold a candle to Panther (Imo).

I saw it twice btw. The first watch is amazing, and the second reminds you that it is a typical marvel movie.

Great job though, definitely deserved.

Last edited by a moderator:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

You should realize that Rotten Tomatoes score has nothing and should have nothing to do with how much money a movie makes. The two are completely different things. Why are you lumping the two things together? And why are you choosing the Black Panther movie to compare it to?

IW is more or less a pure action-fest that doesn't make sense outside of the context of the previous films in the MCU. Black Panther is largely a disconnected film that stands apart from the MCU, and is unprecedented in its themes.

https://www.salon.com/2018/04/27/th...dled-mess-but-possibly-a-dangerous-precedent/

Now I do not necessarily agree with the titles of these articles, but their content and supporting details are on point.

Those supporting details are freaking terrible! I'm 100% against people not liking shared universes and movies telling a larger story. It's so dumb to criticize a movie because it's not a great "stand-alone" movie. It's like criticizing a LOST episode because it's not great if you watched it in isolation from any other LOST seasons/episodes. If the content is made to be viewed and understood in a larger context, then that's the way it should be viewed. Why diss something just because you have to invest 10+ hours to get the most out of it?

Just look at what Fox has going for some of their Superhero movies with darn near no crossover or overarching story/narrative. You have two great movies in Logan and Deadpool. But basically, everything else is average to bad. Wouldn't have been great if old man Logan existed in a great context than just that one movie?

Last edited:
You should realize that Rotten Tomatoes score has nothing and should have nothing to do with how much money a movie makes. The two are completely different things. Why are you lumping the two things together? And why are you choosing the Black Panther movie to compare it to?

Those supporting details are freaking terrible! I'm 100% against people not liking shared universes and movies telling a larger story. It's so dumb to criticize a movie because it's not a great "stand-alone" movie. It's like criticizing a LOST episode because it's not great if you watched it in isolation from any other LOST seasons/episodes. If the content is made to be viewed and understood in a larger context, then that's the way it should be viewed. Why diss something just because you have to invest 10+ hours to get the most out of it?

Just look at what Fox has going for some of their Superhero movies with darn near no crossover or overarching story/narrative. You have two great movies in Logan and Deadpool. But basically, everything else is average to bad. Wouldn't have been great if old man Logan existed in a great context than just that one movie?

Logan writes all the ties to the previous X-Men films that would bog it down right out of the script. Without the baggage, it is free to do its own thing.

Deadpool's highlight for me were his interactions with Colossus. Outside of that, meh.

It's a good thing that you don't review books/films/video games. You are essentially saying that you have to play the ME1 and 2 to determine if 3 is good. Or play all of the Dark Souls games. Or Sonic. Or Mario. Or read all of Lord of the Rings. Or A Song of Ice and Fire (unfinished, so I guess we'll never know?) Or watch all of the James Bond movies. Or Matrix. Or Pirates of the Caribbean. Or Terminators, Aliens....

Sounds silly, right?

A work of art should stand on its own. Infinity War isn't special.

mckmas8808

It's a good thing that you don't review books/films/video games. You are essentially saying that you have to play the ME1 and 2 to determine if 3 is good. Or play all of the Dark Souls games. Or Sonic. Or Mario. Or read all of Lord of the Rings. Or A Song of Ice and Fire (unfinished, so I guess we'll never know?) Or watch all of the James Bond movies. Or Matrix. Or Pirates of the Caribbean. Or Terminators, Aliens....

Sounds silly, right?

A work of art should stand on its own. Infinity War isn't special.

No it doesn't sound silly. Having a few movies out of many that depends on many other movies is fine. Think of the Marvel movie as episodes of a TV show. There are many tv shows that depend on the previous episodes to make it better.

Black Mirror has all stand alone episodes. And all those standalone episodes combined make a Season. That's one way to do it. Or you can have a show like Stranger Things. If someone were to watch the 5th episode of the 1st season of Stranger Things, they'd be lost. It doesn't mean the episode was bad. You gotta understand that Disney and Marvel are doing something different here compared to any other movie licensed material.

No it doesn't sound silly. Having a few movies out of many that depends on many other movies is fine. Think of the Marvel movie as episodes of a TV show. There are many tv shows that depend on the previous episodes to make it better.

Black Mirror has all stand alone episodes. And all those standalone episodes combined make a Season. That's one way to do it. Or you can have a show like Stranger Things. If someone were to watch the 5th episode of the 1st season of Stranger Things, they'd be lost. It doesn't mean the episode was bad. You gotta understand that Disney and Marvel are doing something different here compared to any other movie licensed material.

If you want me to think of the MCU as a TV show, my opinion of it is even worse.

Instead of having multiple seasons of Captain America, Iron Man, or Thor for example, that span for 780 minutes for a single season as a Jessica Jones or Cage show does, now there is only 540 minutes of character development.

Hulk, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, and Black Panther are all woefully undeveloped if I am to look at the MCU with the detail of a TV show.

mckmas8808

If you want me to think of the MCU as a TV show, my opinion of it is even worse.

Instead of having multiple seasons of Captain America, Iron Man, or Thor for example, that span for 780 minutes for a single season as a Jessica Jones or Cage show does, now there is only 540 minutes of character development.

Hulk, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, and Black Panther are all woefully undeveloped if I am to look at the MCU with the detail of a TV show.

Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, and Black Panther have been introduced way later than the other characters. So of course the detail is less, but for a movie it's enough to understand what's going on in Avengers 3. And the Hulk has been in more than enough movies to understand his motivations. What are you talking about?

And I'm not saying think of the Marvel movies as a one to one comparison to TV shows. But only "similar" to them. The overarching story and the way they are detailing the characters and their narratives is closer to a TV show than typical movies that we are used to getting. Most movies try to tell a whole story over 2-5 movies. Marvel and Disney are trying to tell a whole story over 20 movies. So why is it a big deal that you have to watch half of the 18 movies in order to get the most out of Avengers 3? Why is that such a bad thing? Who in their right mind out want to watch a movie called "Avengers 3" and not want to watch any other movie that came before it?

Dr. Strange, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, and Black Panther have been introduced way later than the other characters. So of course the detail is less, but for a movie it's enough to understand what's going on in Avengers 3. And the Hulk has been in more than enough movies to understand his motivations. What are you talking about?

And I'm not saying think of the Marvel movies as a one to one comparison to TV shows. But only "similar" to them. The overarching story and the way they are detailing the characters and their narratives is closer to a TV show than typical movies that we are used to getting. Most movies try to tell a whole story over 2-5 movies. Marvel and Disney are trying to tell a whole story over 20 movies. So why is it a big deal that you have to watch half of the 18 movies in order to get the most out of Avengers 3? Why is that such a bad thing? Who in their right mind out want to watch a movie called "Avengers 3" and not want to watch any other movie that came before it?

Most great movies like Inception, the Fighter, Hurt Locker, Get Out, Schindler's List, The Shawshank Redemption, Ghost, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and so on, get it right once.

Sequels are a money-generating enterprise.

When Disney/Marvel recognized that there was a demand for these kinds of movies, they became more ambitious. Guardians, Ant-Man, BP, multiple sequels for the core Avengers (minus Hulk, because that's owned by Universal)--multiple phases was not a part of the original plan.

At any rate, you're not going to convince me or the average movie critic that IW is a great movie.

mckmas8808

Most great movies like Inception, the Fighter, Hurt Locker, Get Out, Schindler's List, The Shawshank Redemption, Ghost, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and so on, get it right once.

Sequels are a money-generating enterprise.

When Disney/Marvel recognized that there was a demand for these kinds of movies, they became more ambitious. Guardians, Ant-Man, BP, multiple sequels for the core Avengers (minus Hulk, because that's owned by Universal)--multiple phases was not a part of the original plan.

At any rate, you're not going to convince me or the average movie critic that IW is a great movie.

Now I see where we truly disagree. I fundementally disagree with the notion that sequels are a "money-generating enterprise". They can be, but they also could be a way to further show the world or universe that the creators wanted. Or they can be both.

You seem to have a cynical view of sequels and why they exist. In this case, I totally understand why you don't love the nature that Avengers 3 exist and was made. Because it's a movie that purely relies on sequels to love it. It's basically impossible to love Avengers 3 if you don't understand the full story. And you only get the full story in the previous movies.

Do you feel the same way about sequels with TV shows? Like how LOST had like 6 seasons or how The Wire had 5 seasons?

Now I see where we truly disagree. I fundementally disagree with the notion that sequels are a "money-generating enterprise". They can be, but they also could be a way to further show the world or universe that the creators wanted. Or they can be both.

You seem to have a cynical view of sequels and why they exist. In this case, I totally understand why you don't love the nature that Avengers 3 exist and was made. Because it's a movie that purely relies on sequels to love it. It's basically impossible to love Avengers 3 if you don't understand the full story. And you only get the full story in the previous movies.

Do you feel the same way about sequels with TV shows? Like how LOST had like 6 seasons or how The Wire had 5 seasons?

I'm a reader so I do not watch much television. I am vaguely aware of LOST, and how it drug on even after people escaped from the island. Yes, that, and Grey's Anatomy have been dragged. My wife tells me that Dr. Grey isn't even on that show anymore, lol!!!!

The Walking Dead is just as bad as an offender.

S5 of The Wire is undeniably the weakest, but that is because--as our current situation in the US demonstrates--the role of the Press simply is not all that compelling. Quality research is boring. Fabricating stories creates excitement. How McNulty faked a murder so that people would care about the case is a perfect indictment of "outrage culture," meanwhile, the good journalists that would have traced the steps to get the true story are underpaid, underfunded. But that's not as interesting as Hampsterdam.

I digress. The Wire is a unique circumstance where you are tracking two cultures between the police and the street, and then all the other capillary stories that spawn from that dichotomy. If the MCU isn't capable of that level of complexity because good and evil is presented as black and white. There are no Omars running the streets. Or Bubbles.

mckmas8808

S5 of The Wire is undeniably the weakest, but that is because--as our current situation in the US demonstrates--the role of the Press simply is not all that compelling. Quality research is boring. Fabricating stories creates excitement. How McNulty faked a murder so that people would care about the case is a perfect indictment of "outrage culture," meanwhile, the good journalists that would have traced the steps to get the true story are underpaid, underfunded. But that's not as interesting as Hampsterdam.

I digress. The Wire is a unique circumstance where you are tracking two cultures between the police and the street, and then all the other capillary stories that spawn from that dichotomy. If the MCU isn't capable of that level of complexity because good and evil is presented as black and white. There are no Omars running the streets. Or Bubbles.

So glad that you are a fan of The Wire, so you can talk that language too. I'd say Marvel did create a guy like Omar. He's name is Kilmonger. Marvel has been known to have bad/weak bad guys, but Kilmonger and now Thanos is showing that they have learned from their past mistakes (making the movies 90% about the heros and only 10% about the bad guys) and are displaying their abilities to flesh out the bad guys now.

And also the fact that these characters have previous histories kind of puts some constraints on how they can be used. But I'd say that Loki to some smaller degree could be compared to Bubbles. You can see him playing both sides of the fence for his own reasons. But clearly nowhere near as complex as Bubbles. I think Bubbles maybe one of the most complex written characters ever on TV. The actor and the writers did an amazing job with that character.

Showaddy

I could actually see IW having pretty mediocre legs. Despite all the 'hype' moments I doubt many kids are going to be rushing back for that ending.

mckmas8808

I could actually see IW having pretty mediocre legs. Despite all the 'hype' moments I doubt many kids are going to be rushing back for that ending.

Hopefully their parents will then. Dat ending is soul-shaking!

Xiaoki

If anything affects its legs it would more likely be the 1-2 Punch of Deadpool 2 then Solo this month and then the 1-2 Punch of Incredibles 2 then JP World 2 in June.

Thats some heavy competition for its 2 months.

My money is on this too. After the simultaneous WW release, I think the numbers are heavily front-loaded. I think we will see a sharp decline by week 3.

ZeHikRt.png

Like, that's going to have to be a really long WW bar.

WaterAstro

It's understandable because Infinity War relies on 18 movies in order to be fully appreciated, but it's also why it's so hyped.

Kadayi

Banned
It's going to cross the $1 billion mark on Saturday. INSANE.

Indeed. I went and saw it again in the late afternoon. A really hot sunny day here so figured the cinema wouldn't be too busy as everyone would be out getting some rays, so so wrong, even an hour beforehand the theatre was almost entirely sold out (thankfully managed to get a decent seat though). The film hasn't even debuted in China yet and that's a big market for the Marvel films.

Top Bottom