• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•21-23•17 - F8 leads the box office, and drags those who resist

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4287&p=.htm
FRIDAY AM UPDATE: As expected Baahubali 2: The Conclusion got off to a very strong start last night, pulling in $2.5 million from 330 locations, though those are only early estimates as all theaters have not yet reported so we'll be waiting for more official numbers later today or tomorrow.

Additionally, Lionsgate's release of Pantelion's How to be a Latin Lover brought in an estimated $450,000 last night from 925 theaters while STX's The Circle brought in $430,000 from ~1,500 theaters with previews beginning at 7PM.

kswiston

UPI-Boxoffice.com has Fate of the Furious at $828M overseas as of a couple of hours ago. I don't know if that includes any Friday money from places like Australia, but if not, F8 squeaked past $1B on Thursday when the domestic gets updated.

If it broke $1 billion yesterday, then that's 16 days to the mark which would be the third fastest of all time. The Last Jedi is the likely the only film this year to do so faster, and Jurassic World 2 may be the only film next year.

Apparently BOM is sick and tired of being last to report numbers, because they just put up new Guardians 2 overseas numbers

FRIDAY AM UPDATE #2: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 continues its international roll-out as it opened in an additional 17 material markets yesterday bringing its international gross to an estimated $22.3 million. We will be updating individual territory charts once the weekend has concluded, but for now here's the breakdown:

Australia - $6.2M
France - $2.7M
Italy - $2.0M
Germany - $1.5M
Brazil - $1.2M
New Zealand - $1.1M
Philippines - $1.1M
Indonesia - $0.9M
Thailand - $0.7M
Sweden - $0.6M
Taiwan - $0.6M
Netherlands - $0.5M
Other markets - $3.2M
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 continues its roll out this weekend with openings in the UK, Spain, Mexico, Turkey, Vietnam, Venezuela and Ecuador today.

I'll try and find comparable figures for other Marvel films. Edit: Deadline has some

Here's a look at how yesterday's play breaks down:

Germany‘s opening day was $1.5M at No. 1 with 66% market share for the 2nd biggest start of the year, behind Fate Of The Furious. That was 29% ahead of Guardians Of The Galaxy, 21% ahead of The Avengers and 30% ahead of Captain America: Civil War.

Brazil‘s launch was $1.2M for No. 1 and a huge +95% on GOTG.

The Netherlands blasted off to $500K, the No. 1 start of 2017 and the 2nd highest MCU opening day ever behind only Civil War (+83% vs GOTG).

Taiwan grossed $600K for +78% on GOTG; Hong Kong was $300K at 24% over GOTG; and Singapore also rocked in with $300K for 14% above GOTG.

Austria took in $200K at No. 1; 2nd biggest MCU debut behind Iron Man 3; +51% on GOTG.

1 bn Dollar
Assuming you're talking about Guardians 2, while it's still very early, I think $1B would require at least $400M domestically. I'm not seeing that, personally, but the UK figure this weekend will give us some idea of how it will perform next week. Australia would too, but the Tuesday start skews things considerably.

Brad going "It's a fucking disaster", less than 30 seconds in. Aaaand we're done.

It's rated PG-13, and they're describing throats being slit and other stuff, with the studio taking a chainsaw to it, so I'm guessing the rating did a number on it and it was edited waaaaay down. Because obviously one goes to see a movie about guys beheading opponents with swords as a PG-13 movie. And definitely a Guy Ritchie movie, of course.
Studio logic!

So yeah, as expected this thing will be a dud that will come out and vanish with nobody to care about it.

it was pretty cool actually. VERY videogamey though. it goes so balls deep on the fantasy aspect (seriously, giant rpg rats and snakes and elephants, lady of the lake, disgusting demon siren octopus lady etc.) to the point where it would have to be more audience friendly/irreverent to draw the audiences and most of the critics in

it will flop hard. but if you liked any of Guy Ritchie's other takes on franchises like Sherlock Holmes and Man from UNCLE then you'll enjoy this.

its a bit of a mess, but an interesting one. and god damn do you actually see potential here for sequels when he occasionally Guy Ritchies it up and turns it into King Arthur and the Chavs of the Round Table. for instance that story scene in the trailer where he's getting interrogated is really freaking good, I wish there were more of that in here.

it has its share of problems that could have been ironed out in a sequel, but alas its likely destined to crash and not get one. recommend to people who liked those edgy and fully committed fantasy movies of the 80s like Conan the Barbarian and Excalibur.

don't get me wrong, I'm not calling it great. but I liked the nostalgic 80s fantasy movie vibe it gave off, it wastes no time to explain all the fuckery that's going on (which will also be its doom when the reviews come out). gives me actual hope for Aladdin now to be the most intriguing disney live action remake in a minute. I can totally see him getting some English-Arab street kid for the part and infusing his style into it now, when he does that with King Arthur (in sporadic moments) thats where it shines really. oh and Littlefinger was awesome in here.

better than Man from Uncle and rock n rolla easy. but not as good as the Sherlock Holmes movies. those are more sure of themselves. with this he had a great idea and it is awesome in parts but it needed another run through to get it right.

certainly more worthwhile to watch than all the generic non-LOTR fantasy movies we've gotten this century. I would have been down for a sequel (loool), moreso if it leaned towards the Street Knights aspect. thats the biggest disappointment about this one, the Guy Ritchie-esque scenes are such a good twist for this story and genre but they are spaced out too much in here.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) Fate of the Furious - $5.1M (-54%) - $178M total
2) Baahubali 2: The Conclusion - $4.8M
3) How to be a Latin Lover - $3.9M
4) The Circle - $3.2M
5) The Boss Baby - $2.0M (-38%) - $141M total
6) Beauty and the Beast - $1.7M (-36%) - $475M total

Also, it looks like Universal had a mix up on their site yesterday. Their final update pushed Fate of the Furious back to $802M overseas, which means that The film didn't hit $1B on Thursday, and will either get there yesterday or today.

mreddie

The top 3 movies are diverse yet random as fuck.

Also, King Arthur sounds like a shitshow. It was delayed for a year and delayed movies don't result with good movies.

Red Devil

Think of how much money they left on the table by not going with a mostly white cast.

/s

Eh, maybe in some places but definitely not everywhere, I'm from a place where F8 had a record opening(Argentina) and I've yet to meet anybody mentioning anything about the diverse cast, the only person I've heard saying anything said something among the lines that it's just Hollywood pandering or something like that.

kswiston

Fate of the Furious is now sitting at $1.06B worldwide. Domestic total is $193M. China total is $361M.

It looks like the $1B mark actually happened after 18 days, on Saturday. 1 Day slower than F7. Universal Pictures International messed something up on their box office site a couple of days ago.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Fate of the Furious - $19.4M (-50%) - $193M total
2) How To Be a Latin Lover - 12.0M
3) Baahubali 2: The Conclusion - $10.1M
4) The Circle - $9.3M
5) The Boss Baby - $9.0M (-29%) - $148M total
6) Beauty and the Beast - $6.4M (-34%) - $480M total
7) Going in Style - $3.6M (-27%) - $37M
8) Smurfs the Lost Village - $3.3M (-32%) - $38M total
9) Gifted - $3.3M (-28%) - $16M total
10) Unforgettable - $2.3M (-51%) - $9M total

Worldwide Updates:

Beauty and the Beast - $1.143B
Fate of the Furious - $1.060B
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - $101M

Dang, it was already known really, but i think that Top 3 is probably the most more obvious rebuttal to the bs idea that "diversity doesn't sell"

1. The most inclusive and international blockbuster action series

2. A latino-driven comedy

3. A hit Indian blockbuster sequel

4) The Circle - $9.3M

What the fuck are the first two
and how did they beat Tom Hanks, the most bankable film star in movie history /s

kswiston

How do the Pre-US 101 Million from Gotg compare to the starts of the last Marvel movies where the USA was a Tier2 Coutry?

Age of Ultron - $201M
Civil War - $200M
Iron Man 3 - $195M
Avengers - $185M
Thor: The Dark World - $109M
Doctor Strange - $88M
The Winter Soldier - $75M

Doctor Strange and The Winter Soldier had fewer opening territories that first weekend. The rest were roughly comparable.

GotG 1 didn't have an advanced overseas weekend, but it made $66M from 42 territories overseas in its first weekend. GotG2 opened in 37.

jett

D-Member
Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Fate of the Furious - $19.4M (-50%) - $193M total
4) The Circle - $9.3M
5) The Boss Baby - $9.0M (-29%) - $148M total
6) Beauty and the Beast - $6.4M (-34%) - $480M total
7) Going in Style - $3.6M (-27%) - $37M
8) Smurfs the Lost Village - $3.3M (-32%) - $38M total
9) Gifted - $3.3M (-28%) - $16M total
10) Unforgettable - $2.3M (-51%) - $9M total

Worldwide Updates:

Beauty and the Beast - $1.143B
Fate of the Furious - $1.060B
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 - $101M

That must be a record opening for a Bollywood movie. There must be a pretty large underserved market for that stuff.

kswiston

That must be a record opening for a Bollywood movie. There must be a pretty large underserved market for that stuff.

It's the third highest foreign language opening ever, after 2 Jet Li movies (Hero and Fearless)

The previous Bollywood opening weekend record in the US/Canada was $3.4M for Dhoom 3.

EDIT: And by foreign language, I mean foreign films made in non-English countries. Not Hollywood stuff shot in a foreign language, or Mel Gibson would reign supreme.

it was pretty cool actually. VERY videogamey though. it goes so balls deep on the fantasy aspect (seriously, giant rpg rats and snakes and elephants, lady of the lake, disgusting demon siren octopus lady etc.) to the point where it would have to be more audience friendly/irreverent to draw the audiences and most of the critics in

Wait. What? Like, none of that comes across in the trailers. I've seen a couple of them, and they push the same grounded take on Arthur. Sure, there's a giant elephant in one shot and the Lady in the Lake... but they really side-lined the hard fantasy elements. My interest level is rising.

It's the third highest foreign language opening ever, after 2 Jet Li movies (Hero and Fearless)

The previous Bollywood opening weekend record in the US/Canada was $3.4M for Dhoom 3.

EDIT: And by foreign language, I mean foreign films made in non-English countries. Not Hollywood stuff shot in a foreign language, or Mel Gibson would reign supreme.
I thought Pan's Labyrinth would be up there.

Pachimari

Age of Ultron - $201M
Civil War - $200M
Iron Man 3 - $195M
Avengers - $185M
Thor: The Dark World - $109M
I don't know if it's good or bad that GotG2 made $101m overseas in 37 countries compared to the $66m in 42 countries of GotG1 or that it made less than Thor: The Dark World?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom