• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 04•21-23•17 - F8 leads the box office, and drags those who resist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Between the advanced overseas box office, and Chinese Presales, I think it's pretty safe to call no $1B for GotG.

4089591-jf.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Age of Ultron - $201M
Civil War - $200M
Iron Man 3 - $195M
Avengers - $185M
Thor: The Dark World - $109M
Doctor Strange - $88M
The Winter Soldier - $75M

Doctor Strange and The Winter Soldier had fewer opening territories that first weekend. The rest were roughly comparable.

GotG 1 didn't have an advanced overseas weekend, but it made $66M from 42 territories overseas in its first weekend. GotG2 opened in 37.
Ouch. Thats looks prett bad...

Between the advanced overseas box office, and Chinese Presales, I think it's pretty safe to call no $1B for GotG.

Well I've been dead wrong on every one of my B.O. predictions so far so why not this one too?

Next up, Wonder Woman grosses a billion and Justice League gets a 100% RT score...

Legit surprised GotG2 won't pass a billion, assuming estimates hold. We'll see. Marvel Studios giving it the May slot got me thinking they were confident it'd be huge.

Well I've been dead wrong on every one of my B.O. predictions so far so why not this one too?

Next up, Wonder Woman grosses a billion and Justice League gets a 100% RT score...

Ditto. Calling shots like ID4Resurgance and Ghost in the Shell has backfired horribly on me. Looks like me calling Guardians to go crazy is short sighted. Should still outgross the first, just not by as huge a margin as predicted.

And MCU will continue to have no RDJ Free movies over $1b.

Ditto. Calling shots like ID4Resurgance and Ghost in the Shell has backfired horribly on me. Looks like me calling Guardians to go crazy is short sighted. Should still outgross the first, just not by as huge a margin as predicted.

And MCU will continue to have no RDJ Free movies over $1b.

Uh oh, U.S. release to have special 6th post credit scene added starring Iron-Man in space.
just to get that extra $50M to cross $1B.

BumRush

With the Dom / Foreign split at 20/80 and the massive production budget (plus anticipated marketing budget), is F8 going to end up as the least-profit-generating movie in the Billion dollar club?

Busty

Banned
With the Dom / Foreign split at 20/80 and the massive production budget (plus anticipated marketing budget), is F8 going to end up as the least-profit-generating movie in the Billion dollar club?

The back end deals on the F&F films are probably ludicrous. Vin and Moritz could easily take home up to 20% of the first dollar gross between them.

The same is true of the Transformer films with Spielberg and Bay taking home a fucking HUGE chunk of the first dollar gross. At least the studio have a big merch presence with that film to soak up all the red ink.

I'm not sure why Universal hasn't expanded on F&F hard

Only thing I can think of is the ride and that stage show they're going to do next year

Busty

Banned
The NY Post ( I know, I know) had an article about the toy market being saturated by all the family films that are coming out. Interestingly the article also briefly mentions the Power Rangers film.

Lionsgate's ”Power Rangers" came out March 24 and sold $134 million in tickets worldwide through April 30, according to BoxOfficeMojo, but has generated disappointing toy sales.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/30/the-influx-of-kids-movies-has-fatigued-the-toy-industry/

As if the pitiful worldwide box office numbers weren't enough now the Power Rangers fans don't even have the hope of big toy sales to cling to when it comes to hoping for a sequel.

I'm sure they'll reboot it. At some point.

1WQLKmc1Gfhny.gif

Magwik

Banned
The NY Post ( I know, I know) had an article about the toy market being saturated by all the family films that are coming out. Interestingly the article also briefly mentions the Power Rangers film.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/30/the-influx-of-kids-movies-has-fatigued-the-toy-industry/

As if the pitiful worldwide box office numbers weren't enough now the Power Rangers fans don't even have the hope of big toy sales to cling to when it comes to hoping for a sequel.

I'm sure they'll reboot it. At some point.

1WQLKmc1Gfhny.gif
China will save Power Rangers
#Believe
Nobody wants a toy of shitty designed Rangers

Busty

Banned
China will save Power Rangers
#Believe
Nobody wants a toy of shitty designed Rangers

The fact that Lionsgate seemed to be hiding the designs of the Zords for most of the film's marketing campaign didn't help any either. Sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I would be more interested in watching GOTG2 if the ending for the first wasnt sooooo cringeworthy

Dont worry, neither of the booth things I think you could ended up dont liking have a comeback.

Even while I think people really didnt got the point of the dance of.

I read the other day that Furious 7 only generated something like $300 million profit for Universal. That's insane on a movie that made $1.5 billion at the box office.

EDIT - Deadline calculated that it had made $354 million in profit.

I'll be there this weekend, the original was my favorite superhero movie.

Yeah, despite some more-tepid-than-expected reviews, I'm still planning on seeing it. Although I've got a newborn and getting to the cinema is a bit tricky at the moment, so I think I might take a cheeky afternoon off work next week to go along.

I would be more interested in watching GOTG2 if the ending for the first wasnt sooooo cringeworthy

Man, I loved the ending to the first. Yeah it was cheesy but I loved all the characters, felt like they had depth and the ending was a great, air-punch moment for me, from the battle against the Dark Aether to the dance-off.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man, I loved the ending to the first. Yeah it was cheesy but I loved all the characters, felt like they had depth and the ending was a great, air-punch moment for me, from the battle against the Dark Aether to the dance-off.

tumblr_ne2gw5blue1qbjttio1_250.gif

E21zpDt.gif

q74TVzs.gif

4SGIAqC.gif

U1DrYrs.gif

XpQzDiq.gif

tumblr_nhcnbtdpoc1rc1rwwo1_500.gif

Still the most emotional scene in any blockbuster of the last 10 years.
And I just noticed that we witnessed here for the first time the moments where Gunn shines when it comes to this Franchise. It aint the jokes, its when the emotions are set off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom