• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

DeathyBoy

Banned
First off, you're comparing Quicksilver and Scarlet Widow? to Flash.

Second, I never said they were properly introduced in Ultron. They're barely characters but ultimately it doesn't even matter because they're not remotely as important for the Avengers as Flash is for the Justice League.

Also Ultron of all things was still a better movie than anything Snyder and I'm 100% sure it'll end up being better than JL unless Whedon makes a miracle, so it has that.

I'm saying your criticism is stupid given Flash and Aquaman can both be introduced in a sentence each.

Flash - Guy hit by lightning who runs really fast.
Aquaman - King of Atlantis.

That's all you need. And my AOU comments were a joke, pointing out that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch have ludicrous comic book backstories and the film simplified them down to "he's fast, she's crazy."

Not to mention how Flash literally has a show running right now watched by millions each week. People know how he gets his powers.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Annnnnd we're back to Snyder talk.

AU28Fmv.gif

Idea of solo movies being necessary for crossovers was silly years ago and sillier now when Wonder Woman and Spider-Man Homecoming are very successful. Next up you have Black Panther, rest of the JL, and Captain Marvel following the same path. Increasingly it's becoming the norm.

Nev

Banned
Spider-Man, like Batman, have had their share of origin movies. The first time we're seeing Flash in film he's going to have a 2 minute flashback in a Justice League movie. I hope you can see the difference.

It's not that it won't work, it's that anyone in their right mind would at least introduce half of the roster before making an assemble movie, especially if 80% of these characters have never had their own movie.

Like, nobody cares that DCEU's Batman or MCU's Spider-Man don't have another origin story. It's not the same thing.

Annnnnd we're back to Snyder talk.

Be sure to switch to GAF's black theme ayy.

El Topo

Idea of solo movies being necessary for crossovers was silly years ago and sillier now when Wonder Woman and Spider-Man Homecoming are very successful. Next up you have Black Panther, rest of the JL, and Captain Marvel following the same path. Increasingly it's becoming the norm.

We...actually still don't really know if Captain Marvel will show up in Infinity War and Feige called her story an "origin story from the start". More information in the Marvel Community thread in OT.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
First off, you're comparing Quicksilver and Scarlet Widow? to Flash.

Second, I never said they were properly introduced in Ultron. They're barely characters but ultimately it doesn't even matter because they're not remotely as important for the Avengers as Flash is for the Justice League.

Also Ultron of all things was still a better movie than anything Snyder and I'm 100% sure it'll end up being better than JL unless Whedon makes a miracle, so it has that.
I mean hulk has an origin film that was never talked about or properly referenced again. You have characters like black widow and Hawkeye which will seemingly never their own solo film and black panther was introduced after.

You point falls completely flat because flash will have his own movie and wonder woman to great success managed this. There is no intrinsic need to have his movie before just because.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Eh I'd argue that Alan Taylor ended up being a pointless choice. I was excited at first because I liked his episodes of Game of Thrones, but then he brought nothing at all to the table in 2 Dark 2 Worldious and barely even participated in post-production.

But I don't think it's a coincidence that every director since Taylor either already made a sequel or has one in the pipeline. They did a good job and Feige's bringing them all back to continue the story.

I feel like it's more, they worked out the issues they had with their writing team/vision on where to go and have that winning formula down now. Phase 1 is definitely all over the place in comparison to 2.

BLASPHEMY

the-flash-tv.jpg

I remember watching that with.

mantis-carl-lumbly.jpg

Nev

Banned
Okay you win, making Batman v Superman the second movie and Justice League with only three characters barely established was the best way to handle the universe.

My god, xaos make the new thread, save me from these goons

giphy.gif

We'll be there too.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Spider-Man '02 will always have that wow factor due to being the first time the hero appeared on the silver screen and being a groundbreaking superhero movie in the same way that Superman '78 and Batman '89 were.

Remove that, and I think Homecoming is the better movie. I wouldn't say it's better than Spider-Man 2, but it's pretty comfortably the 2nd best Spider-Man movie to date.
The set up of Spider-Man and the early character work is great, but the problem is it loses momentum once the Green Goblin plot is well and truly in gear. They don't really know what to do with Goblin other than let Dafoe chew scenery. Homecoming does better in this part of the narrative for giving Vulture something to do - although of course
they borrowed a good part of what's interesting about him from the thanksgiving dinner scene in Spider-Man

BumRush

If I have to pick one of two evils, I'd prefer to go back to ranking Star Wars movies.

Here's the thing...when you consider we're on the internet, talking about a medium which is generally very opinionated (e.g. fanboyism, etc), this community (BOGAF) is incredibly and shockingly civil. The occasional Snyder bashing is mild, all things considered.

kswiston

$2.7M (-39%) for 47 Meters Down this weekend, bringing its domestic total to $38M.

It will finish with a higher domestic total than Ghost in the Shell and King Arthur.

Here's the thing...when you consider we're on the internet, talking about a medium which is generally very opinionated (e.g. fanboyism, etc), this community (BOGAF) is incredibly and shockingly civil.

((((((((((((( B U L L S H I T ))))))))))))))

I am constantly surrounded by my enemies!

Caode

TF and WW:

Transformers: The Last Knight grossed an estimated $6.30M this weekend. 19-Day total stands at $118.92M.

Wonder Woman grossed an estimated $10.14M this weekend. 38-Day total stands at $368.79M.

Wonder Woman's sixth weekend (it is sixth isn't it?) over Transformers 3rd weekend. I don't think any sane person would've suggested that earlier in the year. It has now also passed Deadpool.

jayu26

$2.7M (-39%) for 47 Meters Down this weekend, bringing its domestic total to $38M.

It will finish with a higher domestic total than Ghost in the Shell and King Arthur.
It's not even like 47 Meters Down is some amazing movie. This result is insane for Ghost and Arthur.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Here's the thing...when you consider we're on the internet, talking about a medium which is generally very opinionated (e.g. fanboyism, etc), this community (BOGAF) is incredibly and shockingly civil. The occasional Snyder bashing is mild, all things considered.

The BvS RT thread was an embarrassment, my friend. I think certain people here would rather be right than actually get a movie they can enjoy.

BumRush

The BvS RT thread was an embarrassment, my friend. I think certain people here would rather be right than actually get a movie they can enjoy.

You're right, it was. I'm referring to this specific thread though (and it's weekly iterations), not GAF threads as a whole.

This Is Us and 47 Meters Down bolstering Mandy Moore's career. The time is right to announce Another Walk to Remember and Chasing Liberty Again.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
You're right, it was. I'm referring to this specific thread though (and it's weekly iterations), not GAF threads as a whole.

I agree in general but I still like to poke fun at how this thread always ends up on the same two topics every week.

Caode

Well he is a professional analyst so maybe he knows his shit.

He does tend to project very optimistic numbers from time to time. Overseas is slowing down, but.. it's hard to say definitively. It needs about $23 million to hit $400 million overseas, going by boxofficemojo's current overseas number, I'm assuming that's up to date, and $32 million or so domestically.

It's within reach, I wouldn't rule anything out with the run it's had, but, it might just miss it. Regardless, it'll end with a very impressive total.

Top Bottom