• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 06•30-07•02•17 - Audiences want the D3, don't put Baby in corner but 2nd,

Wonder Woman had the lowest budget out of all DECU movies and was easily the most profitable out of the bunch. Who would have thought?

U0rkbct.png

I8R8IFC.png

jett

D-Member
$2.7M (-39%) for 47 Meters Down this weekend, bringing its domestic total to $38M.

It will finish with a higher domestic total than Ghost in the Shell and King Arthur.

Those trash movies get what they deserve.

Sadly, I bet the two hacks behind those shitfests will continue to find high-paying work in Hollywood.

Those trash movies get what they deserve.

Sadly, I bet the two hacks behind those shitfests will continue to find high-paying work in Hollywood.
Was it Avi Arad?

I heard he is working on starting a Naruto cinematic universe.

@BORReport 7m7 minutes ago
Spider-Man: Homecoming debuted with an estimated $117.0M this weekend.

#SpiderManHomecoming #BoxOffice

giphy.gif
Congrats on nailing the OW. It was above my expectations, lol. I do think you low balled the WW and DOM. I don't see it being lower than $350M and $900M.

jett

D-Member
Wonder Woman had the lowest budget out of all DECU movies and was easily the most profitable out of the bunch. Who would have thought?

http://i.imgur.com/U0rkbct.png[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/I8R8IFC.png[img][/QUOTE]

Considering the third act looked like they ran out of money I don't think it's a surprise it's the cheapest one.

NotLiquid

I guess with Homecoming's performance we can put to rest that Spidey fatigue is a thing so much as people recognizing a cynical, bad movie when they see one (comparing to TASM).

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Congrats on nailing the OW. It was above my expectations, lol. I do think you low balled the WW and DOM. I don't see it being lower than $350M and $900M.

$322m would be a 2.75 multiplier, pretty standard legs for an MCU movie. WW is a shot in the dark though, I don't really know enough about overseas box office to predict that stuff.

kswiston

You guys are going to have to wait for tomorrow's actuals to get B-G-E's prizes. So many people predicted in the $115-120M range that being off by 1M could be the difference between a game and squat.

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Spider-Man Homecoming - $117M
2) Despicable Me 3 - $34.0M (-53%) - $149M total
3) Baby Driver - $12.7M (-38%) - $57M total
4) Wonder Woman - $10.1M (-35%) - $369M total
5) Transformers 5 - $6.3M (-63%) - $118M total
6) Cars 3 - $5.6M (-42%) - $134M total
7) The House - $4.8M (-47%) -$19M total
8) The Big Sick - $3.6M - $7M total

Considering the third act looked like they ran out of money I don't think it's a surprise it's the cheapest one.
I'd say it speaks more about how much confidence WB had in this film.

I guess with Homecoming's performance we can put to rest that Spidey fatigue is a thing so much as people recognizing a cynical, bad movie when they see one (comparing to TASM).
I'd attribute this success to the great critical reception and RT is a thing these days. Just like Get Out, even The Big Sick is defying all expectations this week.

Massive $173M global wknd for #DespicableMe3 led by $66M opening in China, biggest ever for a toon. WW total now $447.6M going to $800M+.
https://twitter.com/GiteshPandya/status/884068613367484416

Wow, this is impressive. But I doubt it will keep steady legs. Zootopia opened to $23 million and grossed more than $230 million in China. This might be the biggest opening but it won't be the best grossing animated movie there.

I remember the screenwriters of The Big Sick were on Harmontown and they were dejected that their movie was released around the same time as Spidey and Apes, so it's nice that the film is doing better than projected.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

Despicable Me 3 - $448M ($66M opening in China)
Wonder Woman - $746M
Pirates 5 - $734M
Transformers 5 - $494M ($218M in China)

Nev

Banned
Go watch WW again so it gets to 800 nerdz.

Already surpassed Pirates lol. Queen tbh. Shame it won't beat Sadman v Supercardboard: Dawn of Injustice-wannabe.

kswiston

Wonder Woman passed Suicide Squad this weekend.

I am going to go ahead and call $800M worldwide for Wonder Woman. Overseas weekend was still going strong with about $7M. I don't see how it misses. Domestic is at least another $25M, and probably $31-32M to clear the $400M mark. A conservative take in Japan would be $10M, with $15M or so being possible. That means that overseas holdovers need $19M on the high end and more likely less than $15M. That should be doable.

kswiston

Baby Driver made $12.8M this weekend, down 38%. It is running about $2M behind John Wick 2 after two weekends, with stronger summer weekdays making up for the lower weekend takes. John Wick 2 finished at $92M domestic, which I think is a good target for Baby Driver. $100M+ is not impossible with more good holds in the next few weeks. $80M is locked even if future holds aren't as good as this weekend

Baby Driver > Alien Covenant domestically is about to be a reality.

It took Spectre 61 days to go from $199m to $200m. Even then I'm pretty sure Sony just fudged the numbers and pulled it because they got tired of paying to keep that lame movie in theaters.

Wonder Woman has a much better chance.

FTF

Baby Driver made $12.8M this weekend, down 38%. It is running about $2M behind John Wick 2 after two weekends, with stronger summer weekdays making up for the lower weekend takes. John Wick 2 finished at $92M domestic, which I think is a good target for Baby Driver. $100M+ is not impossible with more good holds in the next few weeks. $80M is locked even if future holds aren't as good as this weekend

Baby Driver > Alien Covenant domestically is about to be a reality.

Awesome and well deserved.

kswiston

T5 losing money, for sure right? (Prod plus P&A budgets)

No, because Paramount recovered nearly half the production budget from their guaranteed payout in China. Product Placement will pay for a good chunk of the P&A, and $550-600M (or rather, $350M or so outside of China) is enough to cover the rest.

The franchise's future health is flatlining though.

Highest grossing origin movie then, right?

It would have to go a few million further to top Spider-Man's $403m. Not impossible, but if it limps to $400m, I think WB will be happy with that and pull it. Summer's pretty crowded and they've already got their next tentpole coming out next week.

kswiston

I did a math fail and dropped $5M when adding together the domestic and OS totals for TF5 in my head. It should be $494M.

Needs $403.8m to surpass Spider-Man (2002). It's possible but far less certain than just getting to $400m.

If WB needs to push to $400M, they will just pull a Frozen or Transformers 2 and stop right after.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Well they clearly can't recognise a cynical, bad movie in this case.

(ducks projectiles.)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It took Spectre 61 days to go from $199m to $200m. Even then I'm pretty sure Sony just fudged the numbers and pulled it because they got tired of paying to keep that lame movie in theaters.

Wonder Woman has a much better chance.

Spectre randomly increasing at the box office despite dropping theaters was hilarious. It's probably the biggest case of box office fudge I've seen.

If WB needs to push to $400M, they will just pull a Frozen or Transformers 2 and stop right after.

True of course but I don't think they'll even have to bullshit for $400m, it should legitimately hit that number.

kswiston

True of course but I don't think they'll even have to bullshit for $400m, it should legitimately hit that number.

I don't think WB will fudge the numbers. But if it takes a prolonged dollar cinema push to get there, they will start pulling it after the milestone. $400M vs $404M means little.

Top Bottom