• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long Demo Live Now (Xbox & Playstation)

Guys, I'm getting terrible stick drift on this game - character keeps running to the right most of the time when I press the stick - I used both the game controller tester app and the Xbox app and I'm good, also tried a couple of other games and I've got no drift whatsoever, so, is it the game ? Anyone else with the same problem ? Xsx version btw.
Thanks

SenkiDala

Guys, I'm getting terrible stick drift on this game - character keeps running to the right most of the time when I press the stick - I used both the game controller tester app and the Xbox app and I'm good, also tried a couple of other games and I've got no drift whatsoever, so, is it the game ? Anyone else with the same problem ? Xsx version btw.
Thanks
Played the PS5 and XSX version, both quite a long time, and no problem

draliko

Thanks
no stick drift for me, xsx also

anthony2690

Banned
Thanks
My guess would be you might need a new controller, my older brother was having drift on this game, and I can imagine you will have the same issue on games like the medium too (another one my brothers pad drifts with, he mentioned another title too, but I forgot the name)

Reizo Ryuu

but controls are awful in my opinion. Pressing bumper and face buttons at the same time feels off
This is normal for actual action games.

dodging and countering system mapped on the same buttons… I just can’t get used to it
You're not supposed to dodge, this isn't dark souls, this games rewards offence and punishes turtling; you should only really dodge as a last resort to get some distance.

Thief1987

This is normal for actual action games.

You're not supposed to dodge, this isn't dark souls, this games rewards offence and punishes turtling; you should only really dodge as a last resort to get some distance.
Mapping parry on the same button with dodge is still stupid though. Why they just don't using Nioh's control scheme: L1 - block, L1+O - parry? Why trying reinvent the wheel when they already figured it out in the previous games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I really enjoyed the demo, finished it on Xbox this morning :)

Took me ages to figure how to heal without going to the menu though, up on the dpad!

I'm sure it never mentioned it during the tutorial (I could be wrong though)
It was.

Should be the down arrow though since that’s where the healing item sits. Weird choice.

SenkiDala

Took me ages to figure how to heal without going to the menu though, up on the dpad!

Yeah same with me, had to press every buttons to find how to heal.

KingT731

Had a lot of fun but some minor gripes. Use time for potions/magic/weapon skills is way too long and for the magic in general it feels very weak especially in combination with the cast time. Could use better indicators (sound etc) for successful parries butI'm sure these things will be adjusted before release.

Last edited:

elbourreau

Another Souls clone.......

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Alright, spent some time with the demo. As a big fan of Nioh and Team Ninja in general my expectations were quite high, it...mostly delivered.

If Nioh leaned more in the Souls direction then this leans slightly more in the Sekiro direction with the jumping, scaling walls and attack deflects though it really is mostly just Nioh in a new mythology/world. Loot drops aren't as egregious as Nioh but they are still very much a part of the core gameplay loop, all types of junk to pick up and sift through. Guardian spirits with their own special attacks/associated buffs is another carry-over though Wo Long seems to have a bigger emphasis on magic and there seems to be greater spell variety.

Where Wo Long really differentiates itself is with it's spirit meter. This keeps increasing as you kill more enemies, certain spells are locked behind having a higher spirit level, interesting mechanic. Die to an enemy and it actually increases *it's* spirit level, very cool. Being able to seemingly summon an NPC co-op partner *anywhere* (as opposed to Nioh where it was specific missions) is welcome and should make the title more accessible for those who need it.

Performance was solid throughout though that should be expected. My biggest gripe is that visually this really leaves a lot to be desired, it looks like a 1st gen PS4 game. Art style is cool, custom character creator is dope, animations are are on point but overall there is a sort of blurred muddiness to everything and I expect a lot more. As it stands now Nioh 2 is a visually superior game though this is only a demo and there is time yet to polish and refine.

Otherwise this is right up my alley, pretty sure it will be a day 1 depending on when it releases and what else is out around that time, 2023 is going to be *stacked* and the competition for our attention and gaming dollars will be fierce.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Mapping parry on the same button with dodge is still stupid though. Why they just don't using Nioh's control scheme: L1 - block, L1+O - parry? Why trying reinvent the wheel when they already figured it out in the previous games.
What are you talking about? Parry isn't a core mechanic in nioh, you need to unlock those parry abilities and equip them, meaning it's optional and you can play the entire game without them, and you might even be sacrificing other abilities for it.

Dodge here is a last resort, dedicating an entire button just to dodge would be idiotic, the double press means you're actually really committing to making a dodge, instead of mashing it in panic.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hope you consolebros are enjoying the demoz game looks cool as fuck.

And as much as I love From games, Team Ninja games always have better combat. They are deeped and have more mechanics, which also means having a steeper learning curve which I guess might not be the cup of tea for everyone.

what is it with the Soulsclone nonsense.....Have people already forgotten the Ninja Gaiden games?
Apparently Dark Souls invented action games. :goog_relieved:

I bet some of those would even see Blade or Rune and call it a soulsclone. Fucks sake man.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The demo is working on Xbox now ? I kept getting crashes yesterday.

Hot5pur

Only have a PC, so had to watch demo gameplay. Looks like Ni-oh with some verticality. Gameplay and monster design looked alright. Environments looked very bland.
One thing souls clones never get right is making the environment feel immersive. Many of these studios just think environments are places for you to run around and kill stuff. FROM makes the environments get etched into your soul.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Only have a PC, so had to watch demo gameplay. Looks like Ni-oh with some verticality. Gameplay and monster design looked alright. Environments looked very bland.
One thing souls clones never get right is making the environment feel immersive. Many of these studios just think environments are places for you to run around and kill stuff. FROM makes the environments get etched into your soul.
Stranger of Paradise felt that way to me. It has a temple construct, but it also has elevators and circular paths. Everything is the same texture. The one thing that bugs me is that I’m not wanting to back travel because there’s nothing to look at or discover. There’s ladders to help you get over that feeling, but still.

In Dark Souls and Bloodborne, the levels told a story. There was usually a reason for the level’s existence. Some event breathed life into the world’s locations. It made discovering new areas feel extra special.

This game has a good familiar feel to it. I liked NiOh 2, but I never cared about where I was. It just looked good for the game’s setting.

Last edited:

Valt7786

Loved what I played of it, but there's a couple things/changes I'd like to see. The use time for the not-estus flask needs to be reduced and I'd like to see the parry window be a little wider, other than that, very much looking forward to it! Hope the full game has a few more weapon options too.

Fbh

Another Souls clone.......

Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

Just because it has a few common elements it isn't a "clone". Unless we consider Dark Souls to be a Zelda clone because it uses lock on during combat.

At least in the demo the only part that was strongly reminiscent of Souls is that it has a type of bonfire mechanic (a spot to heal but which respawns enemies).

The combat is quite different since there's no stamina, a much higher focus on parrying specific attacks and a completely different approach to magic and skills that isn't tied to a mana bar.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Really enjoyed this! Damn solid. please dont mess it up by launch and I will be all over it on gamepass. Does it have Co op?

DavidGzz

You can tell that a developer actually has experience in making action games when the action buttons that require precise timing are the front buttons, and not triggers or analog triggers. Common sense really.

Yeah cause first person shooters don't require any of that...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My first impressions are not good

- Wow it's ugly. They seem to apply a strong sharpen filter on already really bad textures. Everything is bland, grey, uninteresting (and even more ugly because of the sharpen).
- I don't like the camera, they apply some acceleration (cinematic? Ugh) when it should be direct in such fast paced game.
- The parrying system is badly designed (I don't like parrying in games but here it's bad and usually doesn't work).
- Combat looks flashy sure, but is not interesting and uselessly complicated.

I simply can't believe the guys that did Nioh 1 and 2 did this. It must be a totally new team. Nioh 2 is so much better than this. Even the graphics in Nioh 2 are better than this.

Last edited:

KingT731

My first impressions are not good

- Wow it's ugly. They seem to apply a strong sharpen filter on already really bad textures. Everything is bland, grey, uninteresting (and even more ugly because of the sharpen).
- I don't like the camera, they apply some acceleration (cinematic? Ugh) when it should be direct in such fast paced game.
- The parrying system is badly designed (I don't like parrying in games but here it's bad and usually doesn't work).
- Combat looks flashy sure, but is not interesting and uselessly complicated.

I simply can't believe the guys that did Nioh 1 and 2 did this. It must be a totally new team. Nioh 2 is so much better than this. Even the graphics in Nioh 2 are better than this.
I wouldn't say the game is ugly. From the brightness calibration the game is dark as fuck but the default brightness is entirely too high. I had to turn it down to 0 in game. I'm using a Sony A90J just fyi

j0hnnix

While I am enjoying it just feels off.

1. Parry is marred by the what seems to be delayed response
2. Controls seem clunky affects 1.
3. Running on Prioritized FPS still feels like it dips on PS5. I will try on Xbox SX.
5. Controls...Controls Controls..Controls.. nothing like Nioh at all.
6. Graphics are not bad , but again Nioh far exceeds it.

If it stays in this state I'd get it on a deep sale.

how far Team Ninja has fallen in terms of graphical fidelity.

on og Xbox they made games that looked almost next gen while running at smooth 60fps... now they make games that look like PS3 remasters
While yes Team Ninja did have amazing looking games such as Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive on OG Xbox. You have to realize it was only for that platform.

Wo Long is a cross gen game dude. To be frank, it doesn't look that bad. I enjoyed the demo.

Last edited:

Banned
While yes Team Ninja did have amazing looking games such as Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive on OG Xbox. You have to realize it was only for that platform.

Wo Long is a cross gen game dude. To be frank, it doesn't look that bad. I enjoyed the demo.

cross gen in a gen that basically uses the exact same hardware.

and funnily enough, a similar architecture as the Xbox

edit: also isn't Wo Long only current gen?

Last edited:
Top Bottom