• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long Demo Live Now (Xbox & Playstation)

Y0ssarian

Banned
I'll have to watch that when I get home. That's why I love Team Ninja games. They're actually balanced if you learn how it works.
I wish I had that level of skill. It's probably not that interesting, but I notice they use sword/dual swords instead of the polearm for the fight

Last edited:

iorek21

Some thoughts:

- PS5 performance is not really great at the moment;
- Some hitbox problems, but nothing major;
- Healing takes too damn long;
- Despite clearly being inspired by Sekiro, I don't think the dodge/counterattack is that great here;
- Level design is still as meh as Nioh

On the other hand, combat feels great, maybe not as customizable as Nioh, but still great; liked the enemies, but here's hoping that there's some variety here unlike Nioh 1/2.

Aion002

I finally played the demo on the Series S, here is my opinion:

Pros

+ Great perfomance, locked at 60 fps.
+ Cool morale system.
+ Magic is fun.
+ The combat is different from Nioh and interesting.

Cons

- Graphics are really weak, some textures are straight from early ps3 games.
- Evade and parry on the same button is counterintuitive.
- Jumping is quite op and makes the game quite easy.
- Extremely fast paced and unbalanced, it is easy to just spam spells and kill most normal enemies.
- The final boss was basically a Nioh enemy with bigger health and faster moves.
- The lock on system is janky.
- The Leveling Up system seems shallow.
- The "guardian spirit" special is a let down compared to Nioh special.
- Sometimes the healing flask button doesn't work.
- Defending is almost useless.

I hope they can improve the game a lot, I love Nioh since the first alpha demo and I know that they can fix most of those issues, they did with Nioh.

New York Lol GIF by Lifetime

Last edited:
Seemed way too easy to sneak up on a lot of enemies, and closeby enemies didn't seem to be aware of what was happening nearby, but it's a demo for a good reason, so no big deal. Looks great visually, I like the combat a great deal also. Could be interesting. Glad it's on Game Pass for me to try out.

I never seem to finish team ninjas games, i always enjoy nioh for the first 5-10 hours and fall off hard. I feel like this is a solid game but i feel myself even less immersed in it than Nioh. Something about the dodging and parrying being tied together feels so imprecise.

I also think there are just far too many systems at play and it gets kind of draining having magic, summons, parrying, dodges, blocking, sneaking, weapon skills, range, jumping, etc. etc.

They need to really just focus on cleaning up the parry windows and precision. They also need to fix the input delays, I’ve died way too many times because the healing just wouldnt register, and on top of that its too unbelievably slow. It reminds me of dark souls 1 except everything in this game is fast as hell

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Honestly haven’t tried the demo yet but for real my first thought it’s “Please Lord, no more souls-like’s 😭
This is my big reason why I dont play other "Souls-like" games other than FROM themselves. If FROM stops making games then I will look for different alternative but until then I only play Souls games made by FROM.

Last edited:

Thief1987

This is my big reason why I dont play other "Souls-like" games other than FROM themselves. If FROM stops making games then I will look for different alternative but until then I only play Souls games made by FROM.
It's a Wo Long Demo thread, no one cares what you want or don't want to play. You have a plenty of other threads to fap on your miyazaki idol.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's a Wo Long Demo thread, no one cares that you want or don't want to play. You have a plenty of other threads to fap on your miyazaki idol.
giphy.gif

I'm not really shitting on the game, if you liked their Nioh series I'm sure this game is going to be fun but I personally much interested on their Rise of the Ronin since I dont think that game is going for "Souls-like" game.

absinth

Neo Member
I'm a souls-noob but I kinda liked it (PS5).
- Tutorial tries to teach you too many things at once. After completing it I only remembered how to attack, evade and shoot.
- I imagine if you master all the available moves and techniques, combat can be very satisfying.
- Jumping is a panic button for be, got me out of tough situations
- I haven't seen much but the graphics seemed PS4 level. Sometimes it's hard to focus on what's important as background environment textures have too many bright details/edges, while enemies blend a bit. But it may be just me.
- Would be great the learn the game gradually, like unlock the animal skill and spells later in the game.
- I like the avenge mechanics and that enemies who kill you are getting stronger in morale
Not a game for me and I barely touched it but I hope it will be good as Three Kindgoms era is a nice setting

giphy.gif

I'm not really shitting on the game, if you liked their Nioh series I'm sure this game is going to be fun but I personally much interested on their Rise of the Ronin since I dont think that game is going for "Souls-like" game.

Combat is more like action game. Feels closer to Ninja Gaiden than souls games.

You have jump button, character responds much faster, attack is on face buttons etc.

From games have a very different flow. No idea why you started comparing them.

Difference is like between Halo and Gears of War series.

Does this one has the 38586847 different mechanics from niho2 between parries, spirits, super moves, etc.

I onestly found N2 a bit overwhelming in that sense.

It has mechanics. Best if you focus on one of them and master it.

No way you can play proficiently by using many of them.

The game seems pretty good, but annoyingly (On Xbox) a system level thing keeps popping up during gameplay saying “something went wrong”, but then the game doesn’t crash or anything so it and it’s just ends up interrupting the game and getting me killed. Obviously a demo quirk but still annoying.

Kinda wish Team Ninja would make a new Ninja Gaiden game or something more similar character action style games because I’m getting tired of souls likes, but it seems really good for a souls like regardless.

The game seems pretty good, but annoyingly (On Xbox) a system level thing keeps popping up during gameplay saying “something went wrong”, but then the game doesn’t crash or anything so it and it’s just ends up interrupting the game and getting me killed. Obviously a demo quirk but still annoying.

Kinda wish Team Ninja would make a new Ninja Gaiden game or something more similar character action style games because I’m getting tired of souls likes, but it seems really good for a souls like regardless.
Some of the old Ninja Gaiden Devs have a new game coming out:

Release date + trailers are out for it, look into it you might like it. I think its going to be cool

As far as Wo Long goes I beat the demo this morning and I loved it. I put close to 100 hours into Nioh 1 & 2 and regularly run em with the fellas tho. My only hope is something I wanted them to do for Nioh 1 & 2 and thats add a little bit of weight to overall movement, and this feels "Even lighter" in my opinion. It still felt great tho, they just need to get the timing on deflects tuned a little...and enemies in the distance can look absolutely ps2 in quality(The big red cat/ghoul like enemy at the bottom of the hill when you're at the top of it looking down at it for example)

I didn't expect crazy graphics tho, really wanted great gameplay & good style and it definitely delivers there. Day 1

Last edited:
Honestly haven’t tried the demo yet but for real my first thought it’s “Please Lord, no more souls-like’s 😭
yeah, i hear you. me? i've enjoyed all the souls games, & even the first nioh, but i really do wish that someone would go back to making non-'git gud', run-of-the-mill action games for mediocre gamers like myself...

Haggard

Banned
yeah, i hear you. me? i've enjoyed all the souls games, & even the first nioh, but i really do wish that someone would go back to making non-'git gud', run-of-the-mill action games for mediocre gamers like myself...
>90% of the market fit your description........

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I messed around with it some, and I can tell it's a well made game, but I don't like it so far. Aside from everything being open world, the next thing I'm growing tired of in regards to games is everything being Souls like. I know this has some differences from actual Souls games, but some core elements are similar, and the combat was fun, but navigating the areas in this was tiresome, and I quickly lost interest. Maybe I'll revisit it when I get a craving for this type of game.

Kurotri

As someone who tried out Nioh back in the day and got his ass kicked a little too much, I found this one actually pretty fun. I stopped with Nioh because it was too hard for me, but this one was actually pretty...easy? Managable atleast. I found its combat to be fun and I like the ancient China thing they got going there. Plus it's on gamepass so eh, why the hell not.

bender

What time is it?
- Healing takes too damn long;

The wind up feels like it takes an eternity and it almost feels impossible to heal without sprinting away from an encounter.

Just finished the demo. I adore the Nioh games but I'm not sure I'm feeling this one. I accidently parried the bird mini boss twice and absolutely destroyed it which feels badass. A lot of the tropes from the Nioh games are in this one but the level up system just seems odd to me. I know Nioh's systems could feel a little overwhelming but are they swinging the pendulum to far in the other direction? I'm also not sure what to make of the fortitude system. If the flags are replacing the Kodama, that's going to be a bummer as hunting those down was always fun for me.

KingT731

The wind up feels like it takes an eternity and it almost feels impossible to heal without sprinting away from an encounter.

Just finished the demo. I adore the Nioh games but I'm not sure I'm feeling this one. I accidently parried the bird mini boss twice and absolutely destroyed it which feels badass. A lot of the tropes from the Nioh games are in this one but the level up system just seems odd to me. I know Nioh's systems could feel a little overwhelming but are they swinging the pendulum to far in the other direction? I'm also not sure what to make of the fortitude system. If the flags are replacing the Kodama, that's going to be a bummer as hunting those down was always fun for me.
Not even just the healing....the cast times for magic and most of the weapon abilities especially have ridiculously slow startups to the point they're borderline useless. I'm honestly expecting another "demo" similar to what happened with the first Nioh game and a lot of changes.

I don't know how to feel about this one. Threre is something about the character movement that makes it feel kind of floaty and missing the weight and precision Nioh 1 and 2 had. Its just not as fun to move around both during and outside of combat.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't know how to feel about this one. Threre is something about the character movement that makes it feel kind of floaty and missing the weight and precision Nioh 1 and 2 had. Its just not as fun to move around both during and outside of combat.

I've mentioned it before here, but yes, the movement is super weird. Running is very slow, but the running animation is much faster, so the character ends up moonwalking everywhere, which looks super floaty and awful.

I just can't get into this for the same reason I can't get into Nioh. It's way too fiddly, there are far too many systems, and I don't like the way that when you start fighting it feels as though you're locked into a vertical pathway forwards... it's hard to explain what I mean but it hits me round the head as soon as I start playing.

I desperately tried to like Nioh. I love everything about it in theory. I was hoping this would be more my style. Inputs should be thoughtless with your skill being based entirely on reading the enemy and your timing, IMO.

ungalo

Never played Nioh but i liked the demo. The two gauges system with the normal and spiritual attacks is an interesting iteration of Sekiro-like combats.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Does anyone know how the Ninja Gaiden collection sold?

Can they please stop beating around the bush and revive the greatest pure-action franchise in video game history?

Top Bottom