• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Is Riddled With Poor Performance

Duchess

The poor performance of Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty on PC is compounded by several factors. One of the most prominent reasons might be the shader & loading stutters, which cause stutters whenever new areas are loaded. These problems also exist on high-end systems, as the users with the latest hardware report the same issues. A user on ResetEra reported that they couldn’t get a smooth 60 FPS experience on any mode using an RTX 30 series card.

Edit: this might be due to it being a demo version, but I'm sure we've heard the "it's a demo" argument before.

Edit 2: What's with this gen..? Are games becoming too big? At least the PS5 is still delivering (it's current titles - we'll wait and see what happens with its version of Wo Long).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's pretty obvious that devs are really stretched thin trying to get these games put on time and have instead opted for a get it out, fix it later approach.

Ps5 seems to get the most love which is warranted due to potential sales I guess but I think developers are missing out on sales on other platforms as word of mouth is strong nowadays.

Absolutely no excuse for poor pc ports nowadays.

nikos

From what I’ve read, the demo has a poorly implemented 60 FPS cap which results in horrible frame time. Capping externally resolves that. The full version is capped at 120, hopefully with better implementation but I’d assume capping it externally will also work in that scenario.

Let’s not jump to conclusions over someone on era with a 30 series GPU.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Are we supposed to be surprised? this is like every PC port/game.

If it's not stuttering/FPS drops its shimmering, grainy visuals (BF and COD suffer greatly from this), and inconsistent performance across everything.

The PS5 version runs great.

Shader compilation should just be automatic in PC games

Pejo

I appreciate that PC is getting more day 1 parity with release dates, but if it means getting a working, bug-free game with decent performance, by all means, delay the damn game for a month or two. It'll eventually get fixed but they're not doing themselves any favors by pumping out PC ports with performance issues.

That's all I'm going to say, because I'm sure it's easier to focus on performance for a plastic box with 1 spec across millions of users than for PCs, which could be a range from integrated graphics all the way to 4090s. I'm just tired of "preorder our games!" "oh we'll fix it in a few weeks!".

april6e

It seems to be a PC only issue because console players are reporting that it runs butter smooth. But yeah, I'm getting a very stutter-y 55fps on a 3090 on 4k/maxed settings which is unacceptable when the game isn't demanding at all. It's one of the worst looking Souls-likes to come out in the last decade so the fact that it runs so poorly is unacceptable.

Last edited:

Xane

I like how the report concluded that the reason is likely shader compilation & area loading yet are giving examples with users experiencing the issues with high-end graphics cards.
Last time I checked, you do not compile shaders nor load areas on the GPU. It's a CPU-bound game.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
"The poor performance of Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty on PC"

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Can someone please explain to me why pc keeps getting really poor versions of games?

Especially as I assume Devs are making the games on pc's in the first place right?

It makes no sense to me.

Also I think Tecmo Koei need to consider using or making a new engine, it's holding their games back imo.

Jinjo

Shader stutters and bad CPU utilisation, absolutely disgrace once again.

I understand that developing AAA games takes a lot of time, energy and resources even for consoles alone, but it's like companies don't give a shit and just release it thinking PC gamers will deal with it. Every game with bad PC performance deserves all the negative attention it gets and I hope it affects sales significantly.

I pre-loaded on PC gamepass, but I am not gonna bother at this point and just uninstall.

RobRSG

I am avoiding buying any new titles on PC just because of all the Shader Compilation issues that plagues them.

This is ridiculous, and kills the joy of buying new games and hardware.

I am often buying all digital on Xbox and physical games on Playstation 5, up until the time Xbox versions on disc begin to be native - as it is currently my main platform.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

I pretty much sat there with an open mouth when I saw performance and quality modes like on console in the options (steam version)... that plus the spotty performance despite looking like it got hit by the ugly stick screams "bad port".
Team Ninja made me downgrade from "day one buyer" to "one month with gamepass will be enough" with this demo.

Last edited:
“Hey man, we built that car you ordered and paid for in full but because of limited time, money and other resources it won’t run faster than 50 mph and the wheels might come off at any moment.

Thank you for your purchase.”
That's the worst analogy I've heard in a long time. I do think that it's better to make it an exclusive though if they don't have the resources to make it proper multi-platform.

When my pc gave up the ghost a few years ago, I thought long and hard about replacing it. Ultimately, I decided against it, mainly because of this issue.
The only thing I really miss are some of the smaller indie games that don't see console releases sometimes.
I get that some tech heads love to tinker endlessly with their rigs in the same way gear heads love to get in the guts of their car, but I just wanna play the game/drive the car dammnit.

Mr.Phoenix

It's pretty obvious that devs are really stretched thin trying to get these games put on time and have instead opted for a get it out, fix it later approach.

Ps5 seems to get the most love which is warranted due to potential sales I guess but I think developers are missing out on sales on other platforms as word of mouth is strong nowadays.

I don't think the PS5 is getting the most love per se. I think its that it's just the easiest or most straightforward platform to work on.

Dev looks at PC, and there are literally endless permutations on builds, so they pick two spec outs, one with the lowest supported hardware config, and one with the highest. But even then that's across multiple ecosystems and combinations. AMD, Nvidia..etc

On the Xbox, they are building for the XSX and the XSS. Albeit going the easier route of trying to adapt their DX12-based PC build to the consoles. Or maybe its the other way around.

But with the PS5, they are basically building for just one platform. Easier to troubleshoot and optimize.

I do agree that there is this just get it to then fix it after the approach devs have taken though. Because no one can say they can't see these glaring issues during QA testing. That they release them as is, just goes to show shipping out a finished game isn't the priority anymore. Now its about getting it to be good enough. This nonsense started with the day one patch that was made to fix issues they caught onto but didn't have the time to fix.... now, the day one patch is pretty much penned into their development timeline. Its a shame really.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Another game i wanted i will be skipping to due to poor peformance.

Well, i guess it's more moneyy for my PC upgrade

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Edit 2: What's with this gen..? Are games becoming too big? At least the PS5 is still delivering (it's current titles - we'll wait and see what happens with its version of Wo Long).

We really shouldn't be using a developer with a history of poor PC ports to comment on the "state of the industry." Can anyone name ONE modern TEAM NINJA game (NIOH 1/2 or FF:SOP) that didn't ship with subpar performance on the PC?

mhirano

I think PC ports are bad because of how good current gen consoles are. Blazing fast IO plus unified memory pool brings performance that can’t be easily replicated on PC.
With time and money devs can make up for that but who has those to spare these days?

ProtoByte

Mr. Phoenix already talked about the endless PC compositions and the Series S, but there's also a ton of cross-gen/nearly cross gen games to consider that totally could run better on PS5.

Gotham Knights and Hogwarts Legacy; even though the former had its last gen version canceled and the latter had those versions delayed, you can bet most of the time and effort spent optimizing was spent on last gen machines and weaker PC builds.

Last edited:
It's a bummer that games will 99% of the time be developed for the lowest common denominator.
I get that more platforms=more money, but it is constantly splitting focus and bringing down the quality of games in general.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Zero issues here. Don't ask me how. Didn't try at 4k. Will do to see what happens.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Are we supposed to be surprised? this is like every PC port/game.

If it's not stuttering/FPS drops its shimmering, grainy visuals (BF and COD suffer greatly from this), and inconsistent performance across everything.

The PS5 version runs great.
In regards of cod. Either go native or disable depth of field if you are using dlss. No more shimmering

Mr.Phoenix

I think PC ports are bad because of how good current gen consoles are. Blazing fast IO plus unified memory pool brings performance that can’t be easily replicated on PC.
With time and money devs can make up for that but who has those to spare these days?
The truth of the matter is that PC games have NEVER been optimized. An optimized PC game or engine is truly a rarity. And you would find if you have an engine that runs very well on PC, it also tends to run very well on consoles too. Or petty much everything... eg, ID tech 7.

PC gaming has always been about brute force. And because the hardware to comfortably do that was always there, most probably never caught onto just how poorly optimized the PC games were. Now we have things in these consoles that aren't yet the norm or even common in the PC space. So things like storage speed or its access regimen, PC split RAM...etc, are now showing obvious bottlenecks even though they have compute resources that can run rings around the consoles. Direct storage on PC will alleviate alleviate ths though.

tmlDan

Like Uncharted 4, Days Gone, God of War, Returnal, Atomic Heart, etc, etc?
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, but Days Gone, Returnal, and Atomic Heart all have issues on PC.

I don't care if they were resolved months later, it ruins the experience cause games should work day one.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, but Days Gone, Returnal, and Atomic Heart all have issues on PC.

I don't care if they were resolved months later, it ruins the experience cause games should work day one.
Far less than any console version and, no, it doesn't ruin the experiences more than the console versions. And beta testers buy day one. And lol at months, Callisto Protocol took 8 hours, Sackboy 2 days...

Last edited:

tmlDan

Far less than any console version and, no, it doesn't ruin the experiences more than the console versions. And beta testers buy day one...
Consoles versions never suffer from stuttering, they have crashing and graphical issues but far less than PC when you have a card that's thousands of dollars.

Like even Apex legends new update had stuttering and i had to wait for a patch/change my settings again, why do i have to change settings for these things to work? It should just work when i have a 3080 or above.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Consoles versions never suffer from stuttering, they have crashing and graphical issues but far less than PC when you have a card that's thousands of dollars.

Like even Apex legends new update had stuttering and i had to wait for a patch/change my settings again, why do i have to change settings for these things to work? It should just work when i have a 3080 or above.
Dead Space does. The same streaming stutter. I didn't had any stutter with Apex legends. And stutter is not the only problem that exists. Console version still have not solution for stuff like poor IQ, frame rate, input lag, etc, etc...

Last edited:

Fbh

It's a Team Ninja Game.
At this point borderline Ps3 graphics and somehow still bad performance is as much of a trademark of the studio as the tight combat.

tmlDan

Dead Space does. The same streaming stutter. I didn't had any stutter with Apex legends.
Never ever experienced it on consoles, Apex usually never does but it did in this new patch. Dead Space also has/had stuttering on PC.

Regardless, PC gaming is performance roulette. Ugly games perform poorly too.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Tested the demo on PC:
Locked at 60Hz, Playstation input while playing with an Xbox controller, ask me to choose between quality and performance mode (first time I see this console option on PC), stutter and is honestly ugly.

Yeah it is a bad port.

Gaiff

Days Gone has no issue whatsoever. Returnal has the same issue has on PS5, slight stutters when loading new areas. Not sure what issue Atomic Heart has that would "ruin your experience".

All of these games provided a great experience on Day 1 so I have no idea what you're on. Probably just a concern troll that comes to whine about PC gaming when he doesn't even game on PC.
The amount of bad pc ports these days is ridiculous. And pc masterracers will brag how their 4090 can run these games at 60 fps missing the point entirely. You are getting less than half the bang for your buck compared to consoles. And your 4090 will be outdated and barely hit 60 fps in two years.
Time to throw every PCs and consoles in the garbage then.

yamaci17

Tested the demo on PC:
Locked at 60Hz, Playstation input while playing with an Xbox controller, ask me to choose between quality and performance mode (first time I see this console option on PC), stutter and is honestly ugly.

Yeah it is a bad port.
you can change gamepad glyph through controller settings

quality and performance modes are just presets for those who do not want to bother with graphical settings (definitely not the first game to implement it, RDR2 also has a main graphical preset bar that tells favour performance/favour quality that automatically scales down or up the settings)

majority of the stutter is caused by poorly implemented frame cap (yes, this is completely on dev), however it can be easily fixed by capping -2 below it with NVCP or Rivatuner. then majority of camera stutters, aside from the traversal ones, will be gone

Last edited:
Top Bottom